• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any games you played/finished and enjoyed that were considered "woke"?

Toots

Gold Member
Is not that strange video game taking inspiration from real world mythology and religion.…my point was this is much more to do with FROM taking inspiration from mythology rather try to be “woke”.
The way you worded it it was the myth taking inspiration from videogames... That's why i joked about Jesus being similar to znyder superman.
of course From, or Altus for that matter since we were talking about persona are taking inspiration from mythology it's the point of the games (humanity collective inconscious gives birth to heroes and monsters modeled after their collective desires, hopes and fears). Nothing woke about that.
(the incestual crap in elden ring is just GRRrrr Martin fetish he tries to put in everything he writes, so nothing woke about that either...)

simpatico

Gold Member
Mass Effect Trilogy
Spider-Man
Ass Creeds
Read Dead 2
Fallout 4

This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are dozens more.

Guilty_AI

Not true. In the japanese version they also use the cringe inducing body type A/B or 1/2 forgot which one. Give me a sec I give you a vid.

Probably my favorite Japanese youtuber for gaming. At 3:15 is when you see it. He even gets confused, like uhh.. what is type A or type B? Then he quickly figured out, "oh it means guy or girl."

i had corrected myself earlier already, i was mixing it with some other JP game where that was the case

Last edited:
Well, here's the thing. If the vast majority of the game is pretty good, I don't mind some unnecessary cringey aspects.

All I want in this life is a new Kingsfield or something that scratches that itch of free roaming dungeon crawler with a gonzo dark soundtrack and dripping in atmosphere and metroidvania exploration elements. Lunacid delivered it.

I adore 95% of that game and one of the things that blows is how the dev retroactively added pronouns. I really don't care either way about pronouns other than finding them to be attention seeking cringe. And in the context of the game, pronouns or the player character as a persona aren't even part of the game and doesn't make sense but the dev felt the need to go back and put them in for no reason other than a statement. So it was the act of going out of their way to put it in after the game launched in early access to stir shit, and it's not the thing itself. Even with the pronouns and another issue, I will insta suggest this game to anyone who I know could dig it. So there's that.

(Unrelated tp the topic, the npcs in the town are a tonal whiplash in design to the entirety of the game. I despise the cutesy design to them. It speaks volumes of how good the vast majority of the game is that I really like the game inspite of these issues.)

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I guess the most recent "woke" games are MK11 and MK1. MK11 i enjoyed Shao Khan's redemption arch, MK1 I tried to like, but at the end, its straight trash.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Horizon 2 is considered pretty woke and i enjoyed it, although way less than the first game.

I don't really consider ragnarock super woke so i don't know if i should list the game or not.

I like to troll woke shit in forums but in real life i can close one eye and a half and only super, extremely in your face woke games like panderman 2 actively hurt my enjoyment.

Aloy being a cunt with overly religious idiots and mongoloids that care more about their petty business instead of the fucking destruction of the planet gave me life tbh, sorry not sorry.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
08YZDTi.jpeg

Eh? You might say. But this game had the woke creep. But it wasn't over the top. Go back to it now, knowing what we know now, and you can see the 'Sweet baby, DEI' creeping in.

But I loved it. Completed it twice on both consoles and was half way through a replay on the PC. It's story, premise and set up is absolute perfection to me in gaming. It was the type of 'woke' that's bearable.

Remedy/Sweet baby really blew their load and showed their grubby hand far too much in Alan Wake 2.

If Remedy can't get the baby stink out I fear we're going full on woketard for their next game..

God knows what they're doing to thr Max Payne remake. I dread to think.
Ya know I didn’t find much woke in this game. I often use it as a prime example of games that have a female main character that don’t feel forced.

Trilobit

I mostly enjoyed Spider-Man 2 for the gameplay, exploration and combat. The graphics were pretty good, audio was good. I had to ignore some glaring issues with the story, usually Miles who I loved in the first game but this time came off as "Spider-Woke" with jokes being replaced by constant badgering of how so hip and diverse and amazing NY is. I've been to NY a few times, literally one of the rudest and jerk off places I've been (personally also liked that lol).

Spider-Man Miles Morales was extraordinary gorgeous and quite fun to play. But it also felt so forcefully cheery that I got a foul taste in my mouth. The character of Danika Hart who has a podcast that's like the opposite of Jameson's was so bad I had to turn it off. It had zero entertainment value.

c26i2Sw.png

I honestly thought she was going to be a villain because of how unnaturally positive and harmless she was.

I can enjoy some woke games despite their wokeness, never thanks to it. I always end up thinking how much better and funnier they would have been without the infection of that ideology. I can play Spider-Man 2 for free if I want, but what I've seen and heard from it makes me hesitant.

Last edited:
I am not sure if gay marriage is considered woke or not in and of itself given religious taboo, but Psychonauts 2 had a world filled with themes of it. It was tastefully done even if I am against it. I enjoyed the game very much and all of its story telling as a piece of fiction.
Psychonauts-2-Walkthrough-Bob-s-Bottles-Emotional-Baggage-012.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Out of curiosity, for the people who don’t play games because it’s to woke (to far left) do you also not play games if they are to far right? Or can woke be considered far right too? I’m confused. The definition of woke changed idk what’s what anymore.

The definition is whatever you dont like is woke.
If you like the thing....then it isnt woke.
If you dont like the thing then it is woke.

finalflame

What is a woke game? I liked Spider-Man but was burnt out on the repetitive formula so never made it to MM or SM2, but it kind of had nothing to do with the politics of the game.
08YZDTi.jpeg

Eh? You might say. But this game had the woke creep. But it wasn't over the top. Go back to it now, knowing what we know now, and you can see the 'Sweet baby, DEI' creeping in.

But I loved it. Completed it twice on both consoles and was half way through a replay on the PC. It's story, premise and set up is absolute perfection to me in gaming. It was the type of 'woke' that's bearable.

Remedy/Sweet baby really blew their load and showed their grubby hand far too much in Alan Wake 2.

If Remedy can't get the baby stink out I fear we're going full on woketard for their next game..

God knows what they're doing to thr Max Payne remake. I dread to think.
Lol okay, guess I fucking love woke games, then. Control was fantastic, but AW2 was just okay not due to any wokeness but it was just kind of a boring tryhard walking simulator with far too many similarities to my most detested genre in film: musicals.

Last edited:

peek

I enjoyed the game part of spiderman 2.

But it wasn't strong enough to outweigh how much shit they put in it
Spiderman 2 is probably the biggest mainstream game in recent time that is just oozing with weirdo twitter mentality. I mean makes sense... its insomniac were talkn about.

I believe they were like the only big dev studio that put out like an overt political letter onto twitter stating their disagreement about some big politics thing. I wana say it was about abortion? I dont remember. But it was a big deal. Like those devs are so far gone theyd made resetera look sane xD

I was going to say Gone Home, but I am not sure that is woke, as it was a story about certain people told well. It wasn’t just twisting existing characters/story to meet ideological ends a la TLOU 2, Spiderman 2 and GOW Ragnarok - or that godawful latest series of the Boys.

jburdick7

Neo Member
I really enjoyed TLOU pt 1 - I always thought the way Bill’s sexuality was handled was honesty a breath of fresh air at the time. Was also why I absolutely hated the Bill episode of the HBO series, had it been a straight couple everyone would have called it out for being corny Hallmark-esque slop lol.

GoW:Ragnarok wasn’t super woke but definitely had enough elements to annoy me, though I still enjoyed the game for the most part. Hades is also one of my all time favorite games and none of the woke stuff in it even remotely bothered me.

It’s really gotten to the point where you can tell fairly easily without even having to play the game. They just don’t even bother to try and be smart about it and instead just slap it right on the box to pander for sales. It’s the pandering more than the politics itself that’s annoying, I’m much more conservative and shit like God’s Not Dead annoys me just as much as modern woke crap. Tell a good story without focusing on politics and you’ll say something way more profound than writing with a political bent in mind.

JayK47

I enjoyed Saints Row. Only issue I had was the lack of story and sudden finish. It helps that I received it for free.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
I wanted to like Wargroove 2 but the insufferable new commanders and dialog made it impossible and I just stopped playing it. Injected the first game directly into my veins.
I didn't know they made a sequel. That Labrador retriever character made me raise my eyebrows when it came out. It seemed try hard, but I shouldn't pass judgement cause I never played it. I think I might buy it cause you seem enthusiastic about the first game.

To answer the question though big fan of tlou2 and home alone. Wait no. Not home alone, I'm high. Gone home. Lots of games with lesbian protagonists. Celeste looked good (actually I don't know her sexuality) like a harder guacamelee but I haven't tried it.

As much as we all dunked on volcano high (myself definitely included) I'd try that one too on deep discount

BlackTron

I didn't know they made a sequel. That Labrador retriever character made me raise my eyebrows when it came out. It seemed try hard, but I shouldn't pass judgement cause I never played it. I think I might buy it cause you seem enthusiastic about the first game.

To answer the question though big fan of tlou2 and home alone. Wait no. Not home alone, I'm high. Gone home. Lots of games with lesbian protagonists. Celeste looked good (actually I don't know her sexuality) like a harder guacamelee but I haven't tried it.

As much as we all dunked on volcano high (myself definitely included) I'd try that one too on deep discount

The first game is a competent Advance Wars clone with a fun campaign. The dialog was kinda juvenile there too but it was just a tactics game with meaningless story so you could ignore it. You can't ignore it in 2 and the mission design is less good. It's also full of levels that would have been "installation" missions in RTS where you can't make bases or units. It just wasn't as fun. The Lab is one of the "hero" characters you pick before mission, IIRC his special was a motivating bark that raised stats of surrounding units lol

I wanted to like Wargroove 2 but the insufferable new commanders and dialog made it impossible and I just stopped playing it. Injected the first game directly into my veins.
Ah war groove. I wanted to play the first game but I couldn't do it. I stood by my principles even if it did remind me of ancient empires on Java mobile from 20 years ago. The characters designs were a big f you to me. So I said no money from me. Shame.

BlackTron

Ah war groove. I wanted to play the first game but I couldn't do it. I stood by my principles even if it did remind me of ancient empires on Java mobile from 20 years ago. The characters designs were a big f you to me. So I said no money from me. Shame.

The character design in 1 was maybe a bit goofy, but what principles did it break? Was it the white girl knight or white dog knight?

Quantum253

Gold Member
I don't know it it's considered "woke" in today's sense of pandering to identity politics and social media, but I really enjoyed my time with:
Never Alone (Kisma Ingitchuna) back on the PS4. It was a great platformer/Puzzle through Alaskan folklore. I linked the Steam page if you want to check it out

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
The first game is a competent Advance Wars clone with a fun campaign. The dialog was kinda juvenile there too but it was just a tactics game with meaningless story so you could ignore it. You can't ignore it in 2 and the mission design is less good. It's also full of levels that would have been "installation" missions in RTS where you can't make bases or units. It just wasn't as fun. The Lab is one of the "hero" characters you pick before mission, IIRC his special was a motivating bark that raised stats of surrounding units lol
Just watched the video on psn where it's 20 bucks now regular price. Some of the battle maps looked huge with a ton of units all over the map

DaGwaphics

For a lot of people "woke" in gaming is any game that doesn't have their ideal protagonist or adhere to the narrowest of narrow focuses. With that in mind, I'm sure I've enjoyed a lot of games that people here and there consider "woke". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But then I'm equally annoyed by the excessively "woke" SJW type as I am the anti-woke, anti-SJW type. Just play the games and take in the stories that are laid out for you, if you like it good if you don't that's fine too.

BlackTron

Just watched the video on psn where it's 20 bucks now regular price. Some of the battle maps looked huge with a ton of units all over the map

Yeah I did 1v1s with my friend and the big maps would take forever. Would be 1AM before we knew it. This is the game that actually made me fall in love with the switching nature of Switch. Using a shitty joycon doesn't really affect my enjoyment of a tactics game and I was undocking it constantly to keep chipping away at a level. Selling the hardware gimmick definitely affected how fast it went "directly into my veins".

Neolombax

Concord. Apart from the woke exterior, its got really good gameplay, and if Firewalk could expand on the crew builder, they really have something unique on their hands.

Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Red Dead Redemption 2
Final Fantasy 7

Would be my choices, brilliant games but have woke elements in them.
Could you imagine The Boss in 2024. Two strong men bending the knee to a genuine grade A girlboss.

LordOfChaos

Is it me or have most of the definitions of "woke" here been nearly completely unproblematic games that simply had a person of color or woman exist as the protagonist?

How was Lost Legacy for example even one bit woke? Sam was even heavily involved in saving a town, I felt no part of it was like all men bad/we're so much better etc. HFW I might give that nod, because there were times it got a little too on the nose with like tribals discovering old world vegetarianism and aligning with it lol, all the mind blowing information you'd find and that was just not very believable.

Rocinante618

Neo Member
I don’t care whether a game is “woke” or not. All I care is the gameplay (and that the main character shouldn't talk/yap so much)

I’m not in the left or the right. I believe both sides have good ideas, bad ones and really ugly ones as well.

Still, few games that are “woke” according to the Internet that I really enjoyed:

- Celeste
- TLoU 2
- Neon White ( woke?)
- Deathloop (is this woke?)

Top Bottom