• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you into playing retro games?

Do you play retro games?

• Yes, I play them regularly

Votes: 197 60.2%
  • Yes, I play them but not very often

Votes: 104 31.8%
  • No, I'm only interested in modern games (7th gen onwards)

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • No, I'm only interested in the most recent releases

Votes: 11 3.4%

• Total voters

Kupfer

I bought an RG35XX_SP last week solely to play retro games. It just feels better to play old games on dedicated hardware, without being online, without messages popping up - just a simple, "stupid" device for old games.

So far, it’s doing a great job. Everything up to and including the PS1 runs great, though it took me a day to get the hang of RetroArch and learn all the menus and settings.

GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, and SFC games, in particular, feel right at home on the device.

For anything more recent, I use my Steam Deck, mainly because joystick controls became standard from the PS2 onwards.

I’ve also tried a few N64 and PSP games on the RG35XX_SP, but binding the D-pad as a joystick isn’t quite the same.

It’s definitely going to be my new travel companion. Even during my lunch break today, I played Tony Hawk for 20 minutes because it's so quick and easy to use.

It's impressive what you can get for €60 these days and how much such a small device can do.

I've even loaded a bunch of TV series on it, and I can’t wait to pull it out and watch something while traveling or when I have to wait - just because I can. It’s silly fun.

I never had these gadgets in my childhood, but I imagine this is how it felt for kids "back then" who had a PS1 with a flip-up screen or a portable DVD player in the car.

Last edited:

Dural

90+% of my gaming is retro, just not a fan of these inflated narrative driven bore fests we have today. I'll play indie platformers and racing games like FH and the few linear action games that come out but that's about it. I have a Retroid Pocket 2+ and an R36S that I got for $20 and both are great, the Pocket 2+ is more comfortable but I like the screen on the R36S more. I've been playing around with Batocera on a couple cheap mini PCs lately too to see how high the emulation can go.

My next project is turning the kids play room in the basement into a retro gaming room. I have a 36" RCA 4:3 CRT HDTV that can do 240 i/p, 480 i/p, 600p, and 1080i through VGA input so it works great for NES to PS2. I plan on putting that along with a big old couch and some other 90s retro furniture in there. I have NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX, DC, GC and Xbox but will need to get an N64 and PS2. I had a Saturn and Jaguar but can't seem to find them, likely something happened to them when I moved out years ago.

Top Bottom