• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you into playing retro games?

Do you play retro games?

• Yes, I play them regularly

Votes: 197 60.2%
  • Yes, I play them but not very often

Votes: 104 31.8%
  • No, I'm only interested in modern games (7th gen onwards)

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • No, I'm only interested in the most recent releases

Votes: 11 3.4%

• Total voters
I’ll also add that I’ve mostly been playing retro games that are brand new to me. There’s so much quality I missed out on, so it’s been really fun exploring that. The TurboGrafx has some real bangers on it.
You need to play the Crush pinball games (if you like pinball) Devils Crush and Alien Crush (the genesis port of DC isn't nearly as good, it may have an extra bonus stage but it looks more crowded and lost a lot of charm).
Also notable games:
TPS and Action/adventure: Bloody Wolf is a fun tps, Bonk games of course, Legendary Axe.
Shumps: Dragon Spirit, Blazing Lazers, Salamander (life force), Rtype, are awesome.
Adventure/Arpg: Neutopia 1 and 2 (zelda clones and good ones) , Dugeon explorer 1 and 2(guantlet style diablo before diablo).
RPGS - Ys 1and 2, ys3, D&D order of the griffin (its a westwood studio game in gold box style, very underrated title),

There is also a lot of fan translated games and Japanese games that don't have much text. Castlevania Rondo of blood , Dragonslayer Legend of Heroes, G
Daimakaimura (Ghouls and Ghosts, tg16 version is a bit different then Genesis and Snes)

Serge85

Yeah, 95% of my gaming time is dedicated to retro games, fully invested too. I have 4 Pvms, 3 consumer crts, 2 Candy Cabs, 13 old consoles hooked up, scalers (ossc, retrotink 5x, retrotink 4k), mister fpga, modded game boy color, gba, etc, etc.

And I'm happy finding a playing "new" old games, a couple of weeks ago I beat Landstalker for the genesis and TMNT 1 for the nes for the first time! two days ago I beat lord of the rings the two towers for the xbox.

Robb

Gold Member
I enjoy them but if I play a retro game it’s 9/10 times to re-play a classic or play a prequel to a new iteration of a game. I very rarely pick up something new or that I haven’t already played before in some capacity.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
cireza cireza I know you love Phantasy Star. Do you think I should play them all? Or is it fine to jump straight into IV?

I heard IV has many references to the older titles, which makes me think a lot of stuff will fly over my head if I don't play them.

two days ago I beat lord of the rings the two towers for the xbox.
Make sure to play Return of the King too! One hell of a beat'em'up, pretty fun to play specilaly if you are a fan of the movie.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
If you knew the physical boxes, games consoles/computers, hand helds, old DVD's and terabytes of roms I've got it would make your bones bend :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I do like them aye.

Space is an issue.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I still play AoE2 and HoMM3 regularly. Retro games were focused on being as fun as possible and everything else was secondary. Make a fun game and people will buy it. Somewhere along the line all the secondary shit came to the forefront and now discussing games is a totally different thing. Culture wars, brand™️ cultists, microtransactions, etc. Modern gaming stinks.

All the time. Probably more than modern titles lately. I setup my PS1 classic with 10,000 or so retro games through retroarch and now I'm in the process of finishing my dedicated retro PC build.

That one's going to run all the way up through PS3 but beyond that I am happy using the consoles for anything newer.

I like playing N64 titles with 60 FPS mods and high res texture packs.

cireza

Gold Member
cireza cireza I know you love Phantasy Star. Do you think I should play them all? Or is it fine to jump straight into IV?

I heard IV has many references to the older titles, which makes me think a lot of stuff will fly over my head if I don't play them.
I always recommend to skip III and play it last.

It depends on your own experience with early RPGs. If you have already played, and know that you enjoy, early RPGs that were about grinding, planing your journeys, choosing which equipment to buy, stacking healing items, drawing the layout of the dungeon on a paper, retreating to town before doing this cycle again... then for sure, Phantasy Star I and then II will be an excellent experience for you.

Otherwise, if you discovered RPGs later, with games from the 90s, like Final Fantasy IV+, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Shining Force etc... I think that you will not easily enjoy the primitive pleasures of Phantasy Star I and II. In which case, Phantasy Star IV should be your first game. It will prove to be very challenging, but it is more linear, more narrative driven, and has a lot of the quality of life improvements expected for 1993. And if you enjoy IV, then I would direct you to II, which shares a lot of elements, and then with 1, which is quite different from II and IV, but also a fantastic game.

Where to play these games ?

Phantasy Star I : SEGA AGES on the Switch eShop (it draws the maps for you)
Phantasy Star II : with the modernization hack from romhacking, and in whatever emulator you like + maps next to you
Phantasy Star IV : Nintendo Switch Online (you can use rewind if something goes bad too, it can help, but don't abuse it either...) or whatever compilation has the game

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

It's a sad state of affairs of how things have gone "down" in the gaming world, you can't get a modern day Ridge Racer, Motorstorm, Burnout, decent football games (back when Konami knew how to do it..) No Panzer Dragoon these days, no Snatcher/Policenauts, Konami having to go back to Metal Gear 3 to revive the franchise knowing they would struggle to get Metal Gear 6 half as good as that game...let alone part 4, Bond games are next to non-existent Blood stone was the last great, Blur hasn't been matched or surpassed on any of the modern consoles....

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah i play grand theft auto 4 all the time.
I miss the old retro days from my ps3
Seems ages ago

All the time. Probably more than modern titles lately. I setup my PS1 classic with 10,000 or so retro games through retroarch and now I'm in the process of finishing my dedicated retro PC build.

That one's going to run all the way up through PS3 but beyond that I am happy using the consoles for anything newer.

I like playing N64 titles with 60 FPS mods and high res texture packs.
What spec pc are you using for that? My desktop can do it easily but it's in my office. I can use steam link, but I'd rather not stream if I can help it.

I emulate ps2/gc on my steam deck and android s9, but id love something dedicated to the TV, especially for dream cast, Xbox, and ps3 (already have a series x, ps2 and wii/gc hooked up, but ps3 is dying and Xbox x only plays a handful of old games). Need something smaller than a full sized desktop. It would rock if there was a integrated cpu/gpu up to the task like a more powerful steam deck.

I have my mini consoles for pre Gen 6 stuff. Miss so many ps3 Gen games.

Crayon

Playing Ray Force right now. I could remember that name the other night. Game has like four names. Anyhow, it's so fun.

I hear there are some good indie shooters that come out... but I love retro!!!

I just checked to make sure I have Ray Crisis and it looks like I still do. Im pretty sure I never had Ray Storm, though. Would be cool to have all three and not on one of those collections.

... eBay check brb....

Nah, I'm good lol.

bobone

Since about 2001 I would play "retro" games during the summer.
There were usually a lot less big releases during those months, and something about summer just made me feel like playing the old stuff again.

The last few years I've been playing more and more of the oldies. Most new releases just aren't interesting to me this generation.
Its weird to only see a dozen PS5 games on my shelf when I had over 100 games on PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4.

I'm currently playing through the Mario RPG remake, which is really cool. I hope Nintendo does more of these. Especially if they can manage Chrono Trigger or Earthbound.

What spec pc are you using for that? My desktop can do it easily but it's in my office. I can use steam link, but I'd rather not stream if I can help it.

I emulate ps2/gc on my steam deck and android s9, but id love something dedicated to the TV, especially for dream cast, Xbox, and ps3 (already have a series x, ps2 and wii/gc hooked up, but ps3 is dying and Xbox x only plays a handful of old games). Need something smaller than a full sized desktop. It would rock if there was a integrated cpu/gpu up to the task like a more powerful steam deck.

I have my mini consoles for pre Gen 6 stuff. Miss so many ps3 Gen games.

Mines a full size atx tower and a bit overkill for emulation but it is a dedicated emulation machine designated to be used mostly for that task with some light modern gaming since my dedicated gaming PC is in the game room.

So it being overkill it's probably not going to sound like what you'd expect and admittedly...pretty much like a mid spec gaming PC. But I wanted to be able to run everything up to PS3/60 generation all on one platform so I wanted it a bit overbuilt just so I could be sure it would run everything I threw at it including high FPS/high res texture modded 3D games. But just about any cpu with an igpu of the last 5 years will run everything through at the very least ps1/n64. Hell my PS1 classic will run mario64 pretty smoothly.

wondermega

The last Xbox I owned was a 360, the last Nintendo a Wii (also 3DS), the last PlayStation was 4 (for VR). Meanwhile I have a Turbografx-16 and Sega Genesis proudly hooked up to the CRT beside my desk here. Retro all day & night for me.

I have gone back and have been playing my PS3 a lot as of late. Gaming was just better that gen for me at least. I am playing it on my PS3 3D display that I had put away for a while. Games look gorgeous on that screen.

Wingnut

No. I like the modern games more.

A link to the past is one of the really rare examples I still liked to play even year later.

The game is 20 years old. PS2, Xbox & Gamecube release just 3'ish years before it.
This is the moment you start too feel old.
I relish it. How often does a game break boundaries in the gaming space these days? It was a magical time. Demon's Souls on PS3 was a mindfuck as well.

Those days are over. Not quite, but you need to rely on indie game or either Kojima to create something out of the ordinary these days.

near

Gold Member
I play a lot of arcade archive games on PSN and Switch. And I mean a lot. They’re my go to games I play casually or when I’m short on time and want to wind down. I still have one of my OG PS2s hooked up and a Dreamcast. I looooove playing old games, there’s too much to play, sometimes I wish I didn’t enjoy so many genres.

JimboJones

Well of the three games I completed this year Super Mario RPG, Chrono Cross and Mass Effect. They where all the remastered versions although they all wildly vary in there remasteryness.

I do frequently play Streets of Rage 1 and Golden Axe though.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
All the time on original consoles. And it seems that I'm paying retro more than modern more and more every year.

Original hardware is just so much better than emulation, though the setup is definitely more complicated and more expensive to do right.

HyperSeg

Neo Member
I have one PC setup for Windows XP and another PC set up for Windows 98 and DOS (plus SNES emulation because it has a CRT). I also have all of the 90's console minis. So, I would have to say, yes, I play retro games quite a bit.

I got all the emulators that I want running on my PC and Steamdeck. So far the only game I played on Emulators was last year and it was Suikoden II. Which was a great game

I think for next year I'm either gonna to play through the whole Wild Arms Games or Shadow Hearts Games

Londo

Neo Member
From time to time I play some old adventure PC games, (the last being Broken Sword 1 a month ago), but I really should setup something for a quick play for when I'm on my sofa.

NahaNago

I don't mind them but so many interesting new games come out that I rarely ever play retro games. I really would like to build up a collection but just not right now. I missed so many shin megami tensei games that I would love to play.

Last edited:

dcx4610

It's pretty much all I play these days. Modern/AAA games don't really interest me outside of a handful of titles. I still play modern games but they are mostly retro inspired.

There's just something more interesting and engaging with 2D games to me. They are easier to jump in and out of and the gameplay holds my attention.

EerieArcade

Neo Member
I normally play retro games every year; I play the ones I missed out on as a kid or those games that have always been on 'my list'. Been slacking this year, though. The only retro game I've played is the Megadrive/Genesis version of Mercs. Planning to play some retro horror games over Halloween. Dino Crisis, Haunting Ground, Clock Tower 3, Rule of Rose, Nightmare Creatures, and Silent Hill 3 are the games I'm considering.

Last year I played through:
Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2
The X-Files
Clock Tower: First Fear
Clock Tower
Koudelka
Breath of Fire 4
Suikoden
Resident Evil Survivor

Some really awesome games there. And Resident Evil Survivor.

mdkirby

Very few retro games I’m interested in…unless they get a remaster. They are just too dated for me. The nostalgia vibes just isn’t enough for me.

Pre 3d stuff from the 80s/90s generally isn’t available on modern consoles unless it gets a remaster, like monkey island etc.

Early to mid era 3D, which may be available, has generally aged like milk.

I also prefer narrative adventures over any other, they’ve got far better at telling stories in more recent generations, and once I’ve played it I’m generally done with it. A fresh coat of paint 15 years later when I’ve forgotten much of the story is appealing tho.

Mownoc

Started collecting old PC games this year. I owned none 6 months ago. Now I own over 200. Not my full collection, I have other classics like Unreal Tournament 2003/2004, Half life, Dungeon Keeper 2, Warcraft 3, Tomb Raider 1-3, Morrowind & Oblivion not in this pic to name just a few.

XnfQMVY.jpeg

Yes, but i have a small space and do not like to have everything hooked. I only have a PS2 and a Wii (240p goodness) connected to CRTs at the moment.

On PC i mostly play GOG releases.

Nothing against recent generations. PS4 is a great console with plenty of great games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom