• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V |OT|

Foxix Von

I'd pick the game up tonight if there is a team to join. I really want to pick this game up despite my fear of online jerks. Aion isn't filling my mech needs.

I can't speak for the 360 side of things but the community has been really mature and friendly in my experience on the ps3 side of things.

1stStrike

Banned
Yep, it's in single player, haven't played multi yet.

Hmm.. I thought the velocity was similar. I'll check again. How would a rifle do more damage to a player than a gatling gun? Most of the rifles seem to deal around 1500 damage (at least those I have unlocked), and my gatling guns deal 1100 per bullet.

The 23/H gatling guns are actually far superior to any rifle in this patch of the game (look on the top 20 leaderboards of free battle), they get nerfed hard in a future patch.

Unrelated, via armoredcore.org:

Yes, yes, Gatling guns look good from the statistics perspective, but you have to consider the following:

1. The majority of players online are resistant to KE, which makes them not very effective. I laugh at Gatling guns in my light mech, and KE damage in general.

2. They're much heavier than other weapons. You can go with something else (like a shotgun/battle rifle combo like I use) which does a ton of damage, and because of the reduced weight you can actually equip more weapons/addons to achieve a similar weight to that of dual Gattling guns. This ultimately gives you a better arsenal and more versatility for when you do find someone that is resistant to KE.

And that's why I don't use or recommend Gatling guns.

How should we determine if we need to split the 360 team? Do people need to rattle off their location here or what?

West/East seems to be like a reasonable split, but IDK.

Either way it seems like we need a second team, and keep in mind if we just have a set password on both teams if one really needs members at a certain point you can just jump between the two at will with no penalties.

Giard

Yes, yes, Gatling guns look good from the statistics perspective, but you have to consider the following:

1. The majority of players online are resistant to KE, which makes them not very effective. I laugh at Gatling guns in my light mech, and KE damage in general.

2. They're much heavier than other weapons. You can go with something else (like a shotgun/battle rifle combo like I use) which does a ton of damage, and because of the reduced weight you can actually equip more weapons/addons to achieve a similar weight to that of dual Gattling guns. This ultimately gives you a better arsenal and more versatility for when you do find someone that is resistant to KE.

And that's why I don't use or recommend Gatling guns.
I thought the battle rifles had very slow velocity? Or am I imagining things? You said earlier that it was one of the reasons you didn't like gatling guns. If that's the case, why are you using one? Pure power?

wwm0nkey

Hey we need some people on the 360, the Canyon maps are now all super weak with a lot of them hitting 0 AP, now is the time to take out Sins.

1stStrike

Banned
I thought the battle rifles had very slow velocity? Or am I imagining things? You said earlier that it was one of the reasons you didn't like gatling guns. If that's the case, why are you using one? Pure power?

I think you're confused. I'm not using Gatling guns at all on any of my AC's.

I'm using the Lotus battle rifle, which has a muzzle velocity of 611 and is faster than any of the Gatling guns. It also has the benefit of stunning light AC's when it hits them due to the impact force of its bullets, which doesn't happen with Gatling guns.

So, faster bullets, fucks up movement, and 1711 damage per hit? Yeah. Ask anyone I've dueled with my black and orange AC what it's like to fight. :)

I haven't lost a duel with it yet.

Giard

I think you're confused. I'm not using Gatling guns at all on any of my AC's.

I'm using the Lotus battle rifle, which has a muzzle velocity of 611 and is faster than any of the Gatling guns. It also has the benefit of stunning light AC's when it hits them due to the impact force of its bullets, which doesn't happen with Gatling guns.

So, faster bullets, fucks up movement, and 1711 damage per hit? Yeah. Ask anyone I've dueled with my black and orange AC what it's like to fight. :)

I haven't lost a duel with it yet.
Sorry, I was trying to ask "Why are you using a battle rifle then".

I guess I need to be in front of the game for me to remember all the stats accurately :p

1stStrike

Banned
Sorry, I was trying to ask "Why are you using a battle rifle then".

I guess I need to be in front of the game for me to remember all the stats accurately :p

The fastest Gatling gun is something like 448, so quite a difference. The bullets from Gatling guns are slow, and thus really easy to dodge.

Leunam

Anybody have success using sniper rifles or laser rifles? I want to move away from KE weapons since that seems to be what people are tailoring their defense towards. I'm using dual battle rifles on my Kshatriya right now and while I like the power, I wish the magazines were bigger. Don't really want to drop missiles.

Giard

The fastest Gatling gun is something like 448, so quite a difference. The bullets from Gatling guns are slow, and thus really easy to dodge.
Thanks for your advice.

I'm gonna try out some different stuff later today, see what works the best for me.

1stStrike

Banned
Thanks for your advice.

I'm gonna try out some different stuff later today, see what works the best for me.

Yeah, and take it as just that - advice. You can roll with whatever you like. I have different versions of my AC's for different situations. :)

Also, don't be afraid to choose the rate of fire option when buying a weapon instead of power. My tank has two rapid fire cannons on it that fire ridiculously fast, and they hurt. I also use the high spread shotgun with the fast rate of fire and it just spams shots with barely any delay, which is fabulous for up close and personal fights (though, the KO is still better).

If you're fighting a light AC with a fast firing battle rifle, it's going to really fuck them up.

Zampano

On 360. What's the best way to get some money to buy decent parts? I spent about an hour doing a story mission shooting a train and I actually lost AU. It was annoying because I couldn't keep up with the train due to basic generator but I can't buy anything new.

1stStrike

Banned
On 360. What's the best way to get some money to buy decent parts? I spent about an hour doing a story mission shooting a train and I actually lost AU. It was annoying because I couldn't keep up with the train due to basic generator but I can't buy anything new.

The story missions don't make you much money. To make a lot of cash do the sidequests, order missions, and the invasion missions (looks like a golden shield in each area with a turret on it. Set the difficulty to 10. You can solo these, they take 1 - 2 minutes to do, and you get about 175k after expenses give or take).

Battle Rifles are good in this patch, there's no doubt, unfortunately most of the more experienced players who are doing metagame builds are RJ with lots of CE defense, usually carrying battle rifle x2 and gattling x2.

Do order mission 13 in like 25 seconds for an easy 190k. Rinse and repeat.

Tain

1stStrike said:
The story missions don't make you much money. To make a lot of cash do the sidequests, order missions, and the invasion missions (looks like a golden shield in each area with a turret on it. Set the difficulty to 10. You can solo these, they take 1 - 2 minutes to do, and you get about 175k after expenses give or take).

I've noticed that even when setting the difficulty to max when soloing sometimes, I'll still only be placed in a mission that seems like it's a low-star one. Is that normal?

Alucrid

Banned
Battle Rifles are good in this patch, there's no doubt, unfortunately most of the more experienced players who are doing metagame builds are RJ with lots of CE defense, usually carrying battle rifle x2 and gattling x2.

lol, I'm not ready for the metagame in this game. I'm barely ready for the game as it is.

1stStrike

Banned

I've been having great success with shotgun/battle rifle/CE missiles combo. There's always someone here or there that is highly resistant to KE, which is the reason why I have the CE missiles and a HEAT howitzer on my left bay.

I don't do pulse, plasma or laser due to my build, so that's my weakness. But that's why I have team mates that do carry that stuff :p

Edit: Oh and rail cannons are ridiculous. If you charge that shit up you get this giant fucking green glow that obstructs your entire screen so you can't see shit but your lock-on indicator. Better not miss lol.

Teknoman

I'd pick the game up tonight if there is a team to join. I really want to pick this game up despite my fear of online jerks. Aion isn't filling my mech needs.

There needs to be a second 360 GAF team since the first is full. I dont think we need to split by timezones though, since even then people might not be on at the same time.

Got randomed into an invasion multiplayer. Won, got a perfect, and popped like 6 achievements for 110 gamer score. lol.

There needs to be a second 360 GAF team since the first is full. I dont think we need to split by timezones though, since even then people might not be on at the same time.

Do we have someone knowledgeable enough to get it started?

Giard

Hey 1stStrike, my gatling guns have a muzzle velocity of 606...doesn't seem that bad! Impact force is 606. Battle Rifles seem heavier than them too...
But I'll try to get a non-KE weapon.

Teknoman

Even if gatling guns dont do much damage from far away, they still seem pretty accurate and consistent with damage.

Also seconded, that was great.

Ken

That was fun.

To whoever had the music note emblem, I don't think you got sniped. I punched you with a pile driver, there was some weird lag, and then your AC blew up. :p

hteng

Banned
Hmmmm I was looking on the Jp playstation store and I noticed that there is a decent amount of DLC for ACV. It looks like new emblems, patterns, parts and some other goodies.

hteng, I know you've been playing the Jp version since January, did you download any of the DLC?

nope, i haven't bought any DLC, the DLC mostly contain early access to parts and some decal s or emblems from previous games. nothing big really, mostly cosmetic stuff.

Raide

If you guys want a commander get 23, he is an amazing commander.

Similar role to the ChomeHounds Commander? I pretty much played Commander exclusively online.

Damn, only another week or so and I should have my hands on the 360 version.

Alucrid

Banned
Oh, so its like a 3rd person battlefield overview kind of thing? I am trying to choose what type of mech I build once I get online. :D

It's just a view of the map. You can see markers where your mechs are and you can scan/tag enemies on the map to help out your units. You can call out weaknesses, health of mechs, etc. etc.

Raide

It's just a view of the map. You can see markers where your mechs are and you can scan/tag enemies on the map to help out your units. You can call out weaknesses, health of mechs, etc. etc.

Sounds pretty cool. I think I prefer the "on the ground" feel of the Commander in ChromeHounds but the AC version sounds interesting.

Teknoman

I think you can also use something called link view? I'm guessing it lets you see through other AC viewpoints.

Top Bottom