• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V |OT|

I think if no one comes to defend the territory then its AP gets reduced until eventually it becomes neutral and you can take it. Someone mentioned on another forum 12 hours until a territory becomes neutral but I'm not sure if that's the correct value.

Leunam

Yeah. I'm assuming it was leunam23 considering that it's the same emblem he uses.

Whoa, just saw this. I don't remember changing it at all, but I can check real quick. I was changing emblems on my own AC's but I didn't touch the team one.

Saw that it was changed back at 12:42 CEN. If I did change it I certainly have no recollection. Sorry about that. :(

ACESmkII

Whoa, just saw this. I don't remember changing it at all, but I can check real quick. I was changing emblems on my own AC's but I didn't touch the team one.

Saw that it was changed back at 12:42 CEN. If I did change it I certainly have no recollection. Sorry about that. :(

No worries. I had the emblem saved.

1stStrike

Banned

Just assumed it was you since it was the same logo :p I've got a copy of the logo now so no worries. :)

ChuChu

Long time lurker here. I joined the PS3 GAF team
My username on PSN is BaerBearBear. Also, I don't have any voice chat thingie yet, so, eh... I'll get that eventually. It was fun playing with you guys today.

mAcOdIn

I joined the Gaf PS3 team, PSN and AC name are both mAcOdIn.

I dunno if I'll stick around though, this game is sorta "meh."

As far as the giant robots fighting each other it works well enough but shit, this is the most shoddily put together game I think I've ever bought. Right from the start when I popped in the disc after setting up my name and controls and skipping the intro it just tossed me into a mission. No Title screen or anything. And I wasn't happy with the controls so I exited and then could not go back into that mission! Who fucking made this shit? After exiting the single player mission I had no choice but to either create a team or join a team? I guess there went the idea of playing through singe player first to get the hang of stuff before going on-line.

So then the on-line UI, ugh, took me a while to find the settings under the workshop to tweak my controls but I found it. Ok. Now I wanted to catch up on that mission so it must be Chapter 00 or Chapter 01 of the story, right? Well, no. Anyways, so fuck that mission that the game starts you at, I'll just skip it except these shitty cut scenes make no sense, who the hell are these people. I don't know who's talking, if me, the AC pilot, is even talking or if I'm just some silent protagonist in these things. Anyways, trudging through the story missions and it's all just so poorly done I don't even know why they bothered. Why hire people to do VA and do CG work for this stuff when it's so bare-boned and at times incoherent? What's this Order/Story shit anyways?

I also decided to customize my mech's parts just to have the damn game do a hard freeze in the AC Data screen. Come on guys.

So I'd like to play online except, well, I don't know what the stakes are, if I lose a battle playing by myself at 5am do I lose the team points? The game says I earned Team Points when I complete story missions however the team's points never changed. Why would I buy a workshop if I can already switch and buy parts?

I'd read the manual but it's like 4 pages and doesn't say shit. It's the worst manual I have ever got with a game. It also begs the question "why bother" just like the story.

But whatever, I'm just a tad disappointed because the game's not awesome, I'll try and play some more later after I catch some sleep and see if I can figure out what the hell's going on on-line and see if that's any better.

Just got the game. Huge fan of Chromehounds here so I was itching to get this game, just had to convince myself I had time to play it.

Is the GAF team full on x360? I'll be playing this game casually when my real life allows, and would like players that are willing to put up with an AC noob. :)

Handle is FuriousRGD

wwm0nkey

Just got the game. Huge fan of Chromehounds here so I was itching to get this game, just had to convince myself I had time to play it.

Is the GAF team full on x360? I'll be playing this game casually when my real life allows, and would like players that are willing to put up with an AC noob. :)

Handle is FuriousRGD

The first team is full, don't know if anyone made the 2nd squad yet.

So as someone who has flirted with this series but absolutely raged at "For Answer" and it's bullshit sub 5 fps, can buy this and know I'll get more than a slide show?

Tawpgun

To someone whose played Chromehounds Neroimus War mode and the equivalent here, how do they compare?

I'm thinking of getting the game based on this mode alone, but I'm not sure about the gameplay. Seems too chaotic and too stupidly fast to me.

1stStrike

Banned
I joined the Gaf PS3 team, PSN and AC name are both mAcOdIn.

I dunno if I'll stick around though, this game is sorta "meh."

As far as the giant robots fighting each other it works well enough but shit, this is the most shoddily put together game I think I've ever bought. Right from the start when I popped in the disc after setting up my name and controls and skipping the intro it just tossed me into a mission. No Title screen or anything. And I wasn't happy with the controls so I exited and then could not go back into that mission! Who fucking made this shit? After exiting the single player mission I had no choice but to either create a team or join a team? I guess there went the idea of playing through singe player first to get the hang of stuff before going on-line.

So then the on-line UI, ugh, took me a while to find the settings under the workshop to tweak my controls but I found it. Ok. Now I wanted to catch up on that mission so it must be Chapter 00 or Chapter 01 of the story, right? Well, no. Anyways, so fuck that mission that the game starts you at, I'll just skip it except these shitty cut scenes make no sense, who the hell are these people. I don't know who's talking, if me, the AC pilot, is even talking or if I'm just some silent protagonist in these things. Anyways, trudging through the story missions and it's all just so poorly done I don't even know why they bothered. Why hire people to do VA and do CG work for this stuff when it's so bare-boned and at times incoherent? What's this Order/Story shit anyways?

I also decided to customize my mech's parts just to have the damn game do a hard freeze in the AC Data screen. Come on guys.

So I'd like to play online except, well, I don't know what the stakes are, if I lose a battle playing by myself at 5am do I lose the team points? The game says I earned Team Points when I complete story missions however the team's points never changed. Why would I buy a workshop if I can already switch and buy parts?

I'd read the manual but it's like 4 pages and doesn't say shit. It's the worst manual I have ever got with a game. It also begs the question "why bother" just like the story.

But whatever, I'm just a tad disappointed because the game's not awesome, I'll try and play some more later after I catch some sleep and see if I can figure out what the hell's going on on-line and see if that's any better.

Welcome to the Armored Core series. This is been pretty much the way it's been done throughout all of them. Mission 00 is the first mission, and that is actually towards the end of the story. They then take you back to the beginning in mission 01 and you work through it.

Your character is (and always will be) a silent protaginest throughout the Armored Core series. A good chunk of the story is filled in through the sidequests that open up as you beat the story missions.

As far as online goes and team stuff, the only time you'd hurt the team is if you participated in a conquest match and lost territory or if you went on a conquest match by yourself and lost.

The team points you're earning on story/order missions go towards leveling the team itself up. The other set of points are basically our currency for taking territory. You might earn 100 - 500 of those in a mission. The way to farm them is to do missions on the territory that looks like a golden shield in each area, as if you max the difficulty to 10 you'll get 17,500 or so points each time.

This game, much like From's other titles, doesn't hold your hand. There's a learning curve and you need to figure things out. Once you've gotten the hang of it, though, the online is very rewarding and the gameplay requires a lot of strategy when fighting other players.

So as someone who has flirted with this series but absolutely raged at "For Answer" and it's bullshit sub 5 fps, can buy this and know I'll get more than a slide show?

The FPS has been solid on the PS3 version for me, even in 5 vs 5 matches. There's only been a couple times I've seen it drop, and these were during a couple of story missions where it was raining on the maps, plus there were a bunhc of enemies on the screen and explosions. This only lasted for a couple of seconds, and then it was over, on each.

To someone whose played Chromehounds Neroimus War mode and the equivalent here, how do they compare?

I'm thinking of getting the game based on this mode alone, but I'm not sure about the gameplay. Seems too chaotic and too stupidly fast to me.

The only gameplay that is fast in this game is if you play a light weight mech. Even that is nerfed from what it was in AC4 and AC4A, and is much better now. Even if you're fast, you're not godlike, and need to play extremely carefully otherwise you'll be dead within seconds.

Heavier mechs are very stompy. and you can make sure yourself a tank that is an absolute beast. Every time we play against a team that has a good tank, where its team members actually protect it, it's usually a really hard battle for us to win. The tank is slow, but it dishes out a bullet storm that will destroy me in no time if I get caught in it.

There's a lot of elements from Chromehounds incorporated into this game, and while the gameplay is a bit faster thanks to the boosting, it's not overly so or arcadey like the last two games in the series. They took player feedback and really improved it.

Also, the war system is fantastic and adds a lot of extra fun to an already fun online system.

The first team is full, don't know if anyone made the 2nd squad yet.

OK thanks.

Is there any way to learn how to actually play as the commander role through in-game tutorial or is it something you just have to play some multiplayer matches to learn?

I am loving this game so far and haven't even played a multiplayer mission yet. I see the potential here for long-term fun for sure.

1stStrike

Banned
OK thanks.

Is there any way to learn how to actually play as the commander role through in-game tutorial or is it something you just have to play some multiplayer matches to learn?

I am loving this game so far and haven't even played a multiplayer mission yet. I see the potential here for long-term fun for sure.

You can play as operator in the mock battles section with your team, so that's how you would practice. Otherwise, it's not that hard. I learned in 1 game during freeplay how to play it. Just a tip:

The buttons on your controller (x, square, triangle, circle on PS3) lay down lettered way points that your team can see. So when you find the enemy you can lay down a marker and be like "they're at A." or "Retreat to C, it's safe there." Whatever the situation demands.

Everything else is pretty self-explanatory.

Man I kinda wanna pick this up now.

I played some AC4 and liked it, I beat all of the missions and pretty much avoided online. I haven't really played AC the right way I feel (developing skills and etc)

The online seems really cool and I'm really thinking about picking this up. I'm a scrub, so I'll be getting my ass kicked for quite some time.

And I do understand that I am coming for the MP, not the SP.

wwm0nkey

The gameplay is not super fast and it still takes that level of thinking and skill ChromeHounds required

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
So I was seduced away from the Gaf PS3 team by RL friends, who have (of course) begun to flake out. Is there still room in the Gaf team? And if one or two of my IRL friends wants to stay active, can I bring them over with me?

1stStrike

Banned
So I was seduced away from the Gaf PS3 team by RL friends, who have (of course) begun to flake out. Is there still room in the Gaf team? And if one or two of my IRL friends wants to stay active, can I bring them over with me?

Yeah, that's fine. We have 13 people at the moment, so room for a few more.

Giard

How do I use Garages in missions? I'm standing over it with scan mode...but I can't do anything. Is there a button I have to press?

Similar question for wrecks. I'm in scan mode, find a wreck with cogs on it. Is there a button I have to press?

1stStrike

Banned
PS3-GAF, the season ends in a few days so we need to grind out a bunch of invasion missions so we can build up team points for the next season. If we have enough participation, and enough points, we have a good chance at capturing a major territory.

Oh, and we need to get a 5 man together and do some free battles. They're great practice on the team work side of things, and tons of fun. I've been playing mostly free battles today and it's been a blast.

I really wish I was able to record those matches I had earlier. They were amazingly fun. I was jetting all over the map, doging enemy fire, picking people off, and then retreating just to swoop in again. Only problem I had was that the AC I was using wasn't suited for extended battles, and so I was usually out of ammo at the end. It came down to me and one other guy in one match and I had 9 shots left in my shotgun and he was resistant to KE :|

That being said, I have a slight headache now because of how fast I was moving. Shit is crazy (fun) with 8 people all against one another.

wwm0nkey

Man we really need someone to make a 2nd GAF group on 360, if we had 2 groups taking over next session should be a piece of cake.

Teknoman

Man we really need someone to make a 2nd GAF group on 360, if we had 2 groups taking over next session should be a piece of cake.

Not only that but i'm thinking alot of our first crew has widely varying playtimes, or everyone is just extremely busy this week.

1stStrike

Banned
A few of us are on right now so we could do some 4-man matches.

Can you add Dreadnoughts to the PSN section of the OP? We're up to 15 members now :p

Did some free battles between team mates today and that was quite fun. Good training, and it was fun watching Shinkirou (not sure who he is on GAF) refine his AC to hit my weak spots. In the beginning, he wasn't doing much damage to me, but by the end he almost killed me a couple of times with what looked to be a pulse machine gun (my weakness).

I've made a few different AC's that I swap between now, but man, a tank with dual cannons that are specced for a fast rate of fire are totally insane lol. Can't really hit fast dudes with them, but if you take a hit from it there goes about 6k - 8k of your AP. It's pretty beastly.

Ken

Can you add Dreadnoughts to the PSN section of the OP? We're up to 15 members now :p

Did some free battles between team mates today and that was quite fun. Good training, and it was fun watching Shinkirou (not sure who he is on GAF) refine his AC to hit my weak spots. In the beginning, he wasn't doing much damage to me, but by the end he almost killed me a couple of times with what looked to be a pulse machine gun (my weakness).

I've made a few different AC's that I swap between now, but man, a tank with dual cannons that are specced for a fast rate of fire are totally insane lol. Can't really hit fast dudes with them, but if you take a hit from it there goes about 6k - 8k of your AP. It's pretty beastly.

Added!

geebee

Banned
How many order missions are there total?

Also, some of the story missions seem to be a pain for my shotgun build.
Around 83 if I remember correctly. What's wrong with your shotguns? Ammo capacity? Stopping by the workshops to replenish ammo will help out, or having a magazine expansion. hotguns are definitely handy for the Order Missions, though. You'll be taking out the other enemy ACs in no time with dual shotguns.

1stStrike

Banned
How many order missions are there total?

Also, some of the story missions seem to be a pain for my shotgun build.

Around 83 if I remember correctly. What's wrong with your shotguns? Ammo capacity? Stopping by the workshops to replenish ammo will help out, or having a magazine expansion. hotguns are definitely handy for the Order Missions, though. You'll be taking out the other enemy ACs in no time with dual shotguns.

Aye, the expanded magazine (raises ammo capacity by 20, or 35 for the best one) is a must for dual shotguns. You can go without it, but the trade off is that you'll run out of ammo before the mission is over. If possible, you'll want missiles and another two weapons in your bay compartment should you opt not to use the expanded magazine option.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Yeah versus with ps3 group was a lot of fun yesterday. I need to rebuild my mech though. I had pretty much only been doing the missions, and had a big a heavy slow mech with miniguns all over. Pretty good for tearing through pve, not so great for fighting other people :p The plasma cannon thing is pretty badass though, it just eats your energy away quick and you need to be real close to use it, and being that close put my slow mech at a disadvantage. I was getting danced around and tore up. I'm going to rebuild tonight and try out some sniper rifle/ ranged weapons with a quicker build.

Sweet game though.

Ken

Yeah versus with ps3 group was a lot of fun yesterday. I need to rebuild my mech though. I had pretty much only been doing the missions, and had a big a heavy slow mech with miniguns all over. Pretty good for tearing through pve, not so great for fighting other people :p The plasma cannon thing is pretty badass though, it just eats your energy away quick and you need to be real close to use it, and being that close put my slow mech at a disadvantage. I was getting danced around and tore up. I'm going to rebuild tonight and try out some sniper rifle/ ranged weapons with a quicker build.

Sweet game though.
Try assault cannons on your tank.

Kind of bummed but the lack of parts in this game. Hope they release some kind of DLC that adds in a lot more.

1stStrike

Banned

Sweet game though.

Slower mechs can be monsters if used right, but it comes down to which weapons you use most of the time. I've found that going with the highest velocity weapons tends to be the best bet, as heavies can't escape them, and you can pick off light weights too.

Alucrid

Banned

Aye, the expanded magazine (raises ammo capacity by 20, or 35 for the best one) is a must for dual shotguns. You can go without it, but the trade off is that you'll run out of ammo before the mission is over. If possible, you'll want missiles and another two weapons in your bay compartment should you opt not to use the expanded magazine option.

Thanks. I just find it's annoying to kill some targets that have high KE defense (i.e. armored trains). I'm using the ammo thing for the shoulder slot, is that what you mean by expanded mag or is there a weapon add-on or something?

1stStrike

Banned
Thanks. I just find it's annoying to kill some targets that have high KE defense (i.e. armored trains). I'm using the ammo thing for the shoulder slot, is that what you mean by expanded mag or is there a weapon add-on or something?

Yeah, that's it. It takes up the shoulder slot. You want to mix up your weaponry a bit - my original light weight was just dual shotties, but I made one that has some CE weaponry mixed in and it gives a lot more versatility. I recommend adding slightly heavier legs to get a higher load capacity, and then add in something like a spare pair of shotguns if you want to stay with those, or some missiles and some CE or TE weaponry.

Right now I use a rifle(RH) and a physical blade(LH) and two battle rifles on the backpacks, with a autocannon on my shoulder.

Works pretty well so far. So I have KE and CE covered. I'm thinking of possibly putting a TE weapon in somewhere.

EDIT: Also helps to get a new generator. The one you start with is terrible as you can only boost for a few seconds. The new one I have lets me boost for a pretty long time without having to stop.

hteng

Banned
Right now I use a rifle(RH) and a physical blade(LH) and two battle rifles on the backpacks, with a autocannon on my shoulder.

Works pretty well so far. So I have KE and CE covered. I'm thinking of possibly putting a TE weapon in somewhere.

EDIT: Also helps to get a new generator. The one you start with is terrible as you can only boost for a few seconds. The new one I have lets me boost for a pretty long time without having to stop.

physical blades are pretty useless, it has long delay and shitty damage/range, i've never seen it utilized outside of blade only matches. the weight and energy is better saved for mobility imo.

Giard

I have another noob question! Sorry :lol

I'm currently using two Gatling Guns as weapons with lightweight bipedal legs. The Gatlings Guns deal about 1100 damage per bullet (bought in the New Parts menu, I don't understand the nomenclature for that one), close to a lot of rifles...is there any reason for rifles to exist, or am I just not far enough into the game to see the difference?

Should I get used to a different kind of weapon? And what are recommendations for a good shoulder weapon?

ACESmkII

Hmmmm I was looking on the Jp playstation store and I noticed that there is a decent amount of DLC for ACV. It looks like new emblems, patterns, parts and some other goodies.

hteng, I know you've been playing the Jp version since January, did you download any of the DLC?

1stStrike

Banned
I have another noob question! Sorry :lol

I'm currently using two Gatling Guns as weapons with lightweight bipedal legs. The Gatlings Guns deal about 1100 damage per bullet (bought in the New Parts menu, I don't understand the nomenclature for that one), close to a lot of rifles...is there any reason for rifles to exist, or am I just not far enough into the game to see the difference?

Should I get used to a different kind of weapon? And what are recommendations for a good shoulder weapon?

Is this in the single player? Gatling guns are considered inferior by far to rifles in PvP. They just don't do much damage to actual players, and they're far too heavy to be practical for a light weight. The bullet velocity is also not that great.

So far, I've recommended everyone that's been considering Gatling guns to avoid them and they've been happier for it.

Hmmmm I was looking on the Jp playstation store and I noticed that there is a decent amount of DLC for ACV. It looks like new emblems, patterns, parts and some other goodies.

hteng, I know you've been playing the Jp version since January, did you download any of the DLC?

New parts eh? I want some of that DLC.

Giard

Is this in the single player? Gatling guns are considered inferior by far to rifles in PvP. They just don't do much damage to actual players, and they're far too heavy to be practical for a light weight. The bullet velocity is also not that great.
Yep, it's in single player, haven't played multi yet.

Hmm.. I thought the velocity was similar. I'll check again. How would a rifle do more damage to a player than a gatling gun? Most of the rifles seem to deal around 1500 damage (at least those I have unlocked), and my gatling guns deal 1100 per bullet.

So far, I've recommended everyone that's been considering Gatling guns to avoid them and they've been happier for it.

The 23/H gatling guns are actually far superior to any rifle in this patch of the game (look on the top 20 leaderboards of free battle), they get nerfed hard in a future patch.

Unrelated, via armoredcore.org:

Dracheseele said:
So, in the story missions if you meet certain requirements there are hidden AC fights that replace the normal ones. Can trigger these in coop as well.

In STORY01, you have to wipe out everything quickly and take minimal damage. This one eluded me for awhile as after the second checkpoint, as there is a watcher that spawns near the start of the mission.

In STORY04, its just based on time and AP. The two Scavengers can be kind of tricky though, but after they do a charge attack they sit idle for a bit. HEAT ROCKETs, HEAT HOWITZERs, or just a good old kick can take them down quickly when they pause.

STORY06 has two hidden fights. Both are Time and AP based. The first involves mostly just rushing through the stage, but the second requires you to kill a significant amount of enemies.

If you beat these 4 ACs as well as some in order missions, it will unlock the GIGA MISSILE.

Top Bottom