• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V |OT|

Teknoman

Boy, this game sure doesn't hold your hand with tutorials. Picked it up today hoping desperately that I could get some Chromehounds-level fun and probably made it an hour in without realizing exactly what each of the HUD elements corresponded to.

Then the GAF team was full. That was a bummer, but I'm pretty awful at this game so it's probably for the best.

which one?

So we can log in now?

Yeah, so come on, we need reinforcements :p

Teknoman

Boy, this game sure doesn't hold your hand with tutorials. Picked it up today hoping desperately that I could get some Chromehounds-level fun and probably made it an hour in without realizing exactly what each of the HUD elements corresponded to.

Then the GAF team was full. That was a bummer, but I'm pretty awful at this game so it's probably for the best.

360, Ravens. This was early in the afternoon, it might have changed since then. I'd probably end up hurting the squad more than helping it since I'm kind of stumbling through the game anyway. First Armored Core experience.

Mine too (well havent played any of the recent ones, and i'm coming from CH as well), but i think teamwork and an idea of what kind of roles you want to play go a long way.

EDIT: Yeah first squad is full, the next set of 360 AC players is probably going to need to make a second squad.

Alucrid

Banned

360, Ravens. This was early in the afternoon, it might have changed since then. I'd probably end up hurting the squad more than helping it since I'm kind of stumbling through the game anyway. First Armored Core experience.

Yeah, the first time I put the disc in I got recruited to go on missions...still using the first mech they give you. So is unlocking parts via multiplayer missions the way to go?

Dont want to be too rude but if you are going to sit on the menu please tell us what you are doing. I know the game is being slow right now be we just lost a territory mission because me and 56 had to hire mercs. Also if you are just taking a 15 minute break go into a mission and pause it so I am not talking to people who arnt there to join up because they are not there :/

You can also change your status to busy/online/eating/whatever.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Whelp, I just joined PS3 group. I have no idea what is going on lol. I guess its best to just start running missions and earning money? I haven't played an AC game since the very first one way back.

PSN - Johnny _Riingo, I think I'm "04"?

Giard

Just trying this out for the first time...

When I try to create a team, it seems the game changes its name to **************. Has it happened to someone else?

1stStrike

Banned
Whelp, I just joined PS3 group. I have no idea what is going on lol. I guess its best to just start running missions and earning money? I haven't played an AC game since the very first one way back.

PSN - Johnny _Riingo, I think I'm "04"?

Saw you briefly - you'll get the hang of it. Do a bunch of order missions to earn cash fast (as well as earn a lot of team points so that we can save up and invade territories in conquest).

Oh, and PS3 GAF is up to 10 members now and representing.

emblem3gl3q.jpg

Green Flamingo, we're coming for you.

schnarf

I am planning to get this tomorrow for the Xbox most likely. Are there any new updates on the GAF guild?
Wondering if it is full up, if so has anyone started a new team?

Teknoman

Try to take some areas too lol

(Also split into groups of 2, it helps a lot)

We just did...but lost against Death Omen. Got over confident because of the team level, I ended up getting ambushed in the canyon and should've just retreated (not sure what weapon he was using, but I know it was a TE damage type and exploded in large blue circles. At least we took down one of them.

And my internet keeps disconnecting -_-

1stStrike

Banned
Is the single-player good? I am thinking of getting it today, so im curious about the game.

This game is built around being online. The real meat of the game is with all of the online features.

1. The single player campaign is 9 missions long
2. The story is completely generic and completely forgetable.
3. Some people are angsty at the lack of a proper arena for you to challenge AI controlled AC's 1 vs 1, though you still get to battle a bunch of them (sometimes 2 on 1) via the Order missions.

Cooping all of the single player and order missions with a friend is far more fun. Voice chat works everywhere, so once you're on a team in the main lobby you can chat with your team mates, whether you're tuning up your AC or doing team stuff. It's pretty awesome.

If you plan on getting this for single player only, I wouldn't recommend it.

This game is built around being online. The real meat of the game is with all of the online features.

1. The single player campaign is 9 missions long
2. The story is completely generic and completely forgetable.
3. Some people are angsty at the lack of a proper arena for you to challenge AI controlled AC's 1 vs 1, though you still get to battle a bunch of them (sometimes 2 on 1) via the Order missions.

Cooping all of the single player and order missions with a friend is far more fun. Voice chat works everywhere, so once you're on a team in the main lobby you can chat with your team mates, whether you're tuning up your AC or doing team stuff. It's pretty awesome.

If you plan on getting this for single player only, I wouldn't recommend it.

I wanted to get it mainly for the single-player experience, because i have a big backlog right now. Thank you for your great post. At least you say coop is fun, so i will get it.

1stStrike

Banned
I wanted to get it mainly for the single-player experience, because i have a big backlog right now. Thank you for your great post. At least you say coop is fun, so i will get it.

The great thing about this game is that you don't really need to invest a lot of time into the online to get fun out of it. You can hop on for some blitz Order missions, which are generally 3 - 5 minutes a piece, do a story mission (20 - 30 minutes a piece), or do some online team battles which usually last for around 5 - 10 minutes.

Plus, you can completely change the way the game plays/feels by creating new AC's, so there's a lot of value here if you participate in online play without needing to invest a bajillion hours into it.

hteng

Banned
if you are mecha fan, there's little reason not to get the game :p i love the designs i'll be getting the art book if there is ever one.

Hot damn. This game has one of the coolest methods of online/multiplayer integration I've ever experienced.
Joined one of my buds in a team called Titanium Angels.

We want to destroy Green Flamingo as well, only because their emblem is terrible.

1stStrike

Banned
Hot damn. This game has one of the coolest methods of online/multiplayer integration I've ever experienced.
Joined one of my buds in a team called Titanium Angels.

We want to destroy Green Flamingo as well, only because their emblem is terrible.

Grind out those order missions and we can gang up on them :p

The great thing about this game is that you don't really need to invest a lot of time into the online to get fun out of it. You can hop on for some blitz Order missions, which are generally 3 - 5 minutes a piece, do a story mission (20 - 30 minutes a piece), or do some online team battles which usually last for around 5 - 10 minutes.

Plus, you can completely change the way the game plays/feels by creating new AC's, so there's a lot of value here if you participate in online play without needing to invest a bajillion hours into it.

That sounds really great. The main reason i stay away from online is, i want to get rid of most of my backlog. I wouldnt be able to invest hours into it like i did with BC2 but what you tell is great. I would like some short multiplayer action. Also i like designing stuff, creating characters, etc. so i think i will love customizing mechs in the game. Thank you ver much for the detailed info. I will get the game today.

if you are mecha fan, there's little reason not to get the game :p i love the designs i'll be getting the art book if there is ever one.

I can't say i am a big fan but i always liked the games with mechs in it (Front Mission, ZOE). Also i liked the designs of the mechs as well. I think i will love customizing mechs.

Edit: I watched some videos about customization, it really looks fun.

Leunam

I think I must have checked every possible place here. :D Really hope I don't have to buy a new one even though I still have my actual mic.

thundr51

I really want to get this game (big mecha fan) but the whole online aspect is really bugging me as I don't really do online. Should I still pick this up?

MechaX

I might end up picking this up, despite how I have no mic. That, and Ninja Gaiden 3 dropped the ball so much that its not even on my radar anymore. Assuming I was to get the PS3 version, how is the frame-rate (especially since the demo framerate was pretty problematic)?

Lockon

I haven't been on for almost 2 days now since my sister is hogging the ps3 and playing Tales of Graces F! At least I was a able to played all the order missions and got all of the subquests done. Hope I can play some today and do S ranking and subquests for Story missions.

Teknoman

I might end up picking this up, despite how I have no mic. That, and Ninja Gaiden 3 dropped the ball so much that its not even on my radar anymore. Assuming I was to get the PS3 version, how is the frame-rate (especially since the demo framerate was pretty problematic)?

Grab a cheap USB or something.

Also do you unlock parts via completing order/story missions, or do you have to scavenge them like Ken mentioned? Hopefully a combination of both.

Ken

Grab a cheap USB or something.

Also do you unlock parts via completing order/story missions, or do you have to scavenge them like Ken mentioned? Hopefully a combination of both.

From what I've read I think you unlock parts by:

1) Completing story missions
2) Scavenging parts in story missions
3) Raising your team level, although I've heard you unlock all these parts at team level 50.

Foxix Von

Alrighty :D just picked this up for PS3 last night! I didn't get a chance to play it but I look forward to hopping on and joining up in a little bit! The team name was Dreadnoughts right? I can't wait to be overwhelmed by menus and mechs.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Jumped into some battle mode, somehow ended up operator. Good god I had no idea what I was doing, just spammed recon and spotted things. Got to actually fight a couple times, that was pretty fun. Something is also screwy with my sound. The game sounds ok but when people talk its so faint I can't understand what they are saying. Even cranking up the volume didn't help.

Edit - Oh I guess the slider on my headset should probably be moved from sound to voice a little more... Im a dumbass. /Shame.

Teknoman

Switched out the laser blade for a H.E.A.T. howitzer.

So now:

rifle X howitzer
shotgun X pulse machine gun

EDIT: What do you guys think about gatling guns?

1stStrike

Banned
The Dreadnoughts are up to 12 players now on the PS3-GAF side (all gaffers). Been having a great time today, and we own 3 of the smaller territories now. Did a lot of free battles and we're hoping to take the mining facility from Green Flamingo tonight.

Foxix Von

The Dreadnoughts are up to 12 players now on the PS3-GAF side (all gaffers). Been having a great time today, and we own 3 of the smaller territories now. Did a lot of free battles and we're hoping to take the mining facility from Green Flamingo tonight.

I would just like to reiterate for a moment that sweet jesus this game is intimidating haha. You guys are super welcoming though, thanks for helping me get settled in haha.

Teknoman

Cant wait till we actually have more than just one team amount online, then we can take on multiple territories at once.

Teknoman

Scrap found on the way to second location in the first Abandoned Facility story mission. This place is pretty...strange looking.

EDIT: lots of scrap actually...

wait wtf I have to take on that?!

Finally found something that seems to work decently, of course it's just a heavy RJ with battle rifles. :(

I am carrying a lil' pulse gun on my back though, crazily enough it seems to pump out the majority of my damage against ACs.

Foxix Von

GAH! What happened to our gorgeous neogaf emblem!?

Also just beat the first story mission. I wasn't totally sure what to think of this game at first but it's really, really growing on me.

1stStrike

Banned
GAH! What happened to our gorgeous neogaf emblem!?

Also just beat the first story mission. I wasn't totally sure what to think of this game at first but it's really, really growing on me.

Ugh, did someone change the emblem? I have no idea why the emblem is changeable by anyone but the team leader. That's a bad design choice.

1stStrike

Banned
What's with the long ass delay when doing an invasion that requires a team rating of 2? (gives 10000 territory points). We've tried 3 of them so far today, and in two of 'em we ended up just waiting for like 10 - 20 minutes with nothing happening. In the 3rd one, one guy came to defend and we were successful in winning.

Does the other team have to come defend for it to start? Not quite sure how that all works.

Top Bottom