• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core V |OT|

d0c_zaius

this is kind of crazy. you can set admittance to your team to free, screening (voting by members) or password.

the game is also designed to be connected online all the time. the HUD and everything is so stripped down, its like you're reading the terminal of a pilot or something. The title screen has to be the best ever.

You can level up team rank, though I'm not sure what it does yet. You can also set team challenges vs other teams for territory claims. Everyone in the team gets paid and you can set the distribution rate. There is also a trading room. Got to love From :)

The Chromehounds style integration of everything looks interesting.

Trike

Soo, how is the mech customization on this? Only played For Answer, so AC is still relatively new to me. Is there a wide variety of parts? For Answer was neat and all, but I wanted more. Are there going to be a lot of similar parts from For Answer? I wanna be able to make Air Man again.

hteng

Banned
this is kind of crazy. you can set admittance to your team to free, screening (voting by members) or password.

the game is also designed to be connected online all the time. the HUD and everything is so stripped down, its like you're reading the terminal of a pilot or something. The title screen has to be the best ever.

the HUD will get pretty mess up when you get hit by stuff that staggers you and not to mention there's alot of shit on the screen most of the time.

Soo, how is the mech customization on this? Only played For Answer, so AC is still relatively new to me. Is there a wide variety of parts? For Answer was neat and all, but I wanted more. Are there going to be a lot of similar parts from For Answer? I wanna be able to make Air Man again.

it's a totally different game from ACFA, you won't get the luxury of flying infinitely but you can pseudo do it via wall jumping, in other words it's not as easy to stay mobile compare to the previous game.
Customization is a downgrade for me imo, since it's a new series and all, it has enough parts to keep you playing for a long time though. The paint jobs and emblem drawing tools are excellent, i was truly astonished by the amazing emblems designed by those JP players.

d0c_zaius

So is the 360 GAF squad up yet?

I made one, Ravens_GAF. Should be searchable. Its vote in unless we want random people joining. Although if someone else wants to be the leader or wants a different name Im down.

Also all the emblem stuff is in the shop, so be prepared to spend a lot of money of you want all the parts to customize something. At least it isnt DLC.

And apparently you can buy workshops?

Bah! cant buy parts yet. Guess they dont want people getting an early start.

Trike

the HUD will get pretty mess up when you get hit by stuff that staggers you and not to mention there's alot of shit on the screen most of the time.

it's a totally different game from ACFA, you won't get the luxury of flying infinitely but you can pseudo do it via wall jumping, in other words it's not as easy to stay mobile compare to the previous game.
Customization is a downgrade for me imo, since it's a new series and all, it has enough parts to keep you playing for a long time though. The paint jobs and emblem drawing tools are excellent, i was truly astonished by the amazing emblems designed by those JP players.

Aw. At least the painting/emblems are still cool. I knew about the no flying thing though. I meant literally "Air Man" from Mega Man.

Ken

I made one, Ravens_GAF. Should be searchable. Its vote in unless we want random people joining. Although if someone else wants to be the leader or wants a different name Im down.

Also all the emblem stuff is in the shop, so be prepared to spend a lot of money of you want all the parts to customize something. At least it isnt DLC.

And apparently you can buy workshops?

Bah! cant buy parts yet. Guess they dont want people getting an early start.

I'll add the info to the OP. Thanks.

Teknoman

I'm liking it so far. It was a little weird to get used to at first, but the "feel" of the game feels awesome, especially when you get the movement around buildings down. I've done about 6 non story missions that were all "destroy everyone" , so I cant say anything about the story yet.

The changes to no radar, dropping recon things and the circle HUD still are weird though.

I'm digging the music and the overall gritty militaristic presentation.

Can you compare the music to any other game that is out already, or is it a style all it's own?

Lockon

I went to pre order at gamestop yesterday, and canceled my Amazon order since I won't get it until next week. But Amazon just sent me an email with recon pack code lol. Anyway, can't wait to go get it in about an hour!

Riposte

Hmmm, GAF aside... is it really likely that 360 won't have a bigger online community? If servers are multinational then I guess PS3 would be the best bet.

wwm0nkey

Hmmm, GAF aside... is it really likely that 360 won't have a bigger online community? If servers are multinational then I guess PS3 would be the best bet.

I am seeing a lot of groups on the 360. Obviously PS3 will probably end up with more though.

d0c_zaius

Is anyone currently on the 360 GAF list so I can join?

AFAIK d0c is the only one so far on the 360 side with an early copy. Waiting on mine today; add me!

I set it to free so anyone could join.

Can you compare the music to any other game that is out already, or is it a style all it's own?
Mostly orchestral, but even some sub menus have some really nice background tracks.

wwm0nkey

So i joined a temp squad with a lot of people in it and the online system in this is amazing. Also so far I have not had any major FPS problems.

Very tempted to pick this up today, I need to read up on it though. I missed the Chromehounds bus, loved Mech Assault, didn't care for Front Mission Evolved and never played an Armored Core.

Ken

If PSN GAF gets a GAF team together, let me know the name of it and I'll add it to the OP.

Reviews too.

Edit: Looks like IGN won't have their review until Friday because of the online, but they did have this written:

Based on how much I've enjoyed it so far, there's every indication that Armored Core V will be the best mech experience we've seen in the past five years – but I won't be able to confirm that for another few days.

Hopefully it escapes the March 20th, 2012 curse that fell upon NG3 and RE:ORC!

1stStrike

Banned
Very tempted to pick this up today, I need to read up on it though. I missed the Chromehounds bus, loved Mech Assault, didn't care for Front Mission Evolved and never played an Armored Core.

One thing to note about AC games is that they typically have a high learning curve. It'll take you a while to adjust to the controls and become comfortable with them, but it's always good fun to master your mech and start landing those hard to pull off shots.

Also, nothing makes you feel like a boss more than going through an entire mission without taking any damage.

I love purging weapons too. If you purge your weapons at the right time, you'll get a boost in speed and can surprise the hell out of your opponent.

Ken

Very few did so I wouldn't worry about not liking FME to be indicative of anything.

I've never played an AC game before. But I do love mechs, and I do love FROM. I've read this whole thread and I know From Answer is a lot different, but will the demo at least give me a rough idea if this is my type of game?

Also, for the GAF teams, you can do password and then put the passwords in the OP under email tags.

EDIT: Looks like there is not a FA demo, how about AC4

1stStrike

Banned
I've never played an AC game before. But I do love mechs, and I do love FROM. I've read this whole thread and I know From Answer is a lot different, but will the demo at least give me a rough idea if this is my type of game?

Also, for the GAF teams, you can do password and then put the passwords in the OP under email tags.

There won't be a demo right away. If you love mechs, and love customizing mechs, this going to be your go to mech game, though. With the fact that every single player mission is also able to be coop'd, I have no doubt it'll be a blast.

If UPS actually delivers my copy today (that's still up in the air as there haven't been any updates on my shipping info >_<) I'll have some impressions up later (as well as other gaffers, I'm sure)

Ken

Reviews:

OXM UK: 6/10
+Building mechs is compelling
+Ace visuals and atmosphere
-The story is total cod-waffle
-Too many loading screens and menus
-Learning curve feels like a wall

Gamesradar: 7/10
You'll love
Assembling badass mecha
Raiding with comrades in arms
Impractical machine combat

You'll hate
Wishing friends were online
Being in-game rich with nothing to buy
The PS3 version&#8217;s framerate

Briefly skimmed through them and it sounds like it's still a very niche title but great online multiplayer. No 3/10s yet though!

Teknoman

Gamesradar:

You'll love
Assembling badass mecha

You'll hate
The PS3 version&#8217;s framerate

This game was reviewed on Xbox 360 as the lead platform. We also played through sections of the PS3 version to see if there were any distinct differences. We found that the PS3 version had more framerate choppiness, but was otherwise very similar.

Sounds great, and exactly how an online mode inspired by Chromehounds would be...but sad to hear that about the PS3. Its funny how some games today that started out on the Playstation, end up performing slightly worse on the PS3. Kinda surprised 360 was the lead platform too, unless i'm reading that wrong.

Aselith

Yeah it'll give you a decent enough idea. You'll at least be able to try the controls and customization stuff and the mechs will look roughly the same. Just be aware that 4 is the worst of the current gen AC games as far as gameplay.

wwm0nkey

+Building mechs is compelling
+Ace visuals and atmosphere
-The story is total cod-waffle
-Too many loading screens and menus
-Learning curve feels like a wall

Playing for the story? Thats like saying you played ChromeHounds for the story.

Lockon

Just got the game. Entered both recon and heavy assault pack codes. Now I'm starting up with possibly 50%+ parts already unlocked lol. Now waiting for the game to be installed...

Ken

Just got the game. Entered both recon and heavy assault pack codes. Now I'm starting up with possibly 50%+ parts already unlocked lol. Now waiting for the game to be installed...

You should make a Haro or Celestial Being emblem. :p

geebee

Banned
Gamesradar:

You'll love
Assembling badass mecha

You'll hate
The PS3 version’s framerate

This game was reviewed on Xbox 360 as the lead platform. We also played through sections of the PS3 version to see if there were any distinct differences. We found that the PS3 version had more framerate choppiness, but was otherwise very similar.

Sounds great, and exactly how an online mode inspired by Chromehounds would be...but sad to hear that about the PS3. Its funny how some games today that started out on the Playstation, end up performing slightly worse on the PS3. Kinda surprised 360 was the lead platform too, unless i'm reading that wrong.
They meant that the Xbox 360 version was what they focused on for the review, not lead platform during development.

purg3

slept with Malkin
joined the 360 group and messed around with the the core customization for bit. Haven't purchased anything yet, but I can tell this is going to consume me lol. Pretty cool so far, won't be able to get into though until later tonight. I'll probably be on around 10-10:30pm EST for some games.

Top Bottom