• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Some initial thoughts:

Max is a great, balanced addition, his enormous hitbox in Buff mode is both an asset and liability.

His arms are all viable and will really mix things up when the full roster has access to them.

Roaster is a higher damage, slower version of Toaster. I don't see any other differences- pretty sure they can curve equally. Toaster wins in punch output pretty quickly (especially when dual-wielding them, spamming punches). However, Roaster's charged hit of 140 is ludicrous for a glove, and it doesn't have Nade's drawbacks. IMO it will be fantastic in single glove setups where it is the "heavy hitter" of the build.

Nade is pure fun. I think it'll be awesome for rushdown characters as well, again likely as just a single arm. It's also worth noting its big hitbox, especially on characters with high arm girth, is a liability because if hit while charged it just explodes on the spot even at your side (like any explosive element arm). This is particularly dangerous if you use it on both arms.

Kablammer is a higher damage, slower version of Whammer that can't combo. It hits really freaking hard. This is going to be the toughest for people to use I think, but if you were going for a Hammer build you weren't counting on speed in that slot to begin with. Same liability with its ridiculous hitbox and exploding though.

Hedlok mode is the shit

Some initial thoughts:

Max is a great, balanced addition, his enormous hitbox in Buff mode is both an asset and liability.

His arms are all viable and will really mix things up when the full roster has access to them.

Roaster is a higher damage, slower version of Toaster. I don't see any other differences- pretty sure they can curve equally. Toaster wins in punch output pretty quickly (especially when dual-wielding them, spamming punches). However, Roaster's charged hit of 140 is ludicrous for a glove, and it doesn't have Nade's drawbacks. IMO it will be fantastic in single glove setups where it is the "heavy hitter" of the build.

Nade is pure fun. I think it'll be awesome for rushdown characters as well, again likely as just a single arm. It's also worth noting its big hitbox, especially on characters with high arm girth, is a liability because if hit while charged it just explodes on the spot even at your side (like any explosive element arm). This is particularly dangerous if you use it on both arms.

Kablammer is a higher damage, slower version of Whammer that can't combo. It hits really freaking hard. This is going to be the toughest for people to use I think, but if you were going for a Hammer build you weren't counting on speed in that slot to begin with. Same liability with its ridiculous hitbox and exploding though.

Hedlok mode is the shit

Yeah it really makes 1v1v1 so much fun.

It changes everything.

Some initial thoughts:

Hedlok mode is the shit

Regarding the Roaster: most Glove-type ARMS have at least minor homing capabilities; the Nade and Roaster lack these capabilities in exchange for greater damage.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Regarding the Roaster: most Glove-type ARMS have at least minor homing capabilities; the Nade and Roaster lack these capabilities in exchange for greater damage.
So Toaster actually does have some of that then. Buff has an enormously more notable amount than any of the other gloves, it almost feels like Homie.

So Toaster actually does have some of that then. Buff has an enormously more notable amount than any of the other gloves, it almost feels like Homie.

Yes, Buff vs Bubb is the clearest example of homing differences in Gloves. In fact, I believe that all of Brass's ARMS lack homing ability, barring MAYBE the Kablammer.

Also, is it just me or does Brass's throw launch foes away faster than any other? It really seems like they just rocket off! It's really satisfying to land it...

Another thing: I believe Brass has an Altered Beast shout out in his voice clips! Sometimes, when Buffing Up, he says "POWER UP" with identical inflection to that of Altered Beast's infamous clip!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
eeehhm Toaster does also 140 dmg charged, no?
So why should I choose Roaster? More dmg unbuffed?
I believe that is toaster plus you are comparing and Roaster plus should do 150 charged. I think it does the same 90 uncharged, but I didn't note it.

JDdelphin

It's a shame there isn't hardly one bit of productive training in this game.

I'm close to putting it down.

How the fuck do you introduce a whole new series of system and mechanics and don't have any sort of drill mode or even a big book that comes with the game or SOMETHING.
You don't cover the new ways of physical movement people have to learn to play, attacking and defending for pad or with motion controls beyond 'here's what the buttons do'
And you don't cover the individual ARM properties/selections/mechanics/handling at all either.

It's too much for younger kids on one level and too much for casual pick up and play people on another.

There's so much potential- but it's gonna niche itself if it doesn't back up and figure out a few more ways to get the general public on board the new IP train.

nick_b

How the fuck do you introduce a whole new series of system and mechanics and don't have any sort of drill mode or even a big book that comes with the game or SOMETHING.
You don't cover the new ways of physical movement people have to learn to play, attacking and defending for pad or with motion controls beyond 'here's what the buttons do'
And you don't cover the individual ARM properties/selections/mechanics/handling at all either.

It's too much for younger kids on one level and too much for casual pick up and play people on another.

There's so much potential- but it's gonna niche itself if it doesn't back up and figure out a few more ways to get the general public on board the new IP train.

The community seems to have figured things out quite quickly. If you are able to post this online then you surely have a way of accessing all the data that has been found out so far. Fighting games generally tend this way. Basics are described in-game and in-depth tactics are provided by the community upon discovery.

A lot of information is learned as you play as well. I haven't learned much online that I couldn't figure out myself. I haven't even started looking for advanced techniques either. I've only really covered the basics and that has been enough for me to enjoy the game with so far. Maybe if I start getting bored with it I'll delve further, but seriously, just Google a bit. There are probably advanced technique videos posted by now.

DasPrints

This game's AI is so god damn frustrating. I've been stuck on Barq & Bite since release on level 4 difficulty and I can't beat him. It doesn't help that the physical controls for punching are awful and my punches miss 50% of the time and the AI instantly blocks every time I unleash a special.

Who are you playing as and what arms are you using? I've been getting through difficulty 7 with a good chunk of the roster already and here's a few tips that I hope might help out.

GENERAL VS AI TIPS:

- Don't rely on grabs at all, they will always punch through it and get a hit on you even at point blank range where a regular person would not be able to react to it. It's safer to go for grabs from father away, after they have used both arms, using an advancing guard after they have thrown their second arm, as they wake up with you positioned a good distance away so that its safe.

- The ai doesn't account for the consequences of its actions generally, it just reacts. If you are having hard time landing rushes then try throwing a punch to get them to try and counter punch so that you can pop rush and blow through their attack. If they jump then rush when they are descending as well since they cannot block and counter punches will usually be knocked away. It's worth noting that some arms like most of the heavies, the homing missiles, and the dragons haven painfully slow rushes. So its worth pairing it with a fast arm so lessen the chance of whiffing completely.

- If you are from mid to long range space the time between throwing arms out a bit. If you fire both arms you will be stuck in place for a lot longer and they will likely get a hit or throw in. Fire one shot out, see which way they dodge and either catch them or throw the second out to block their counter.

- Advancing guard is your best friend, although its not too amazing on Hedlok. Just in case you don't know what it is, essentially if you dash the instant you block a punch you can act immediately. Wait for them to throw their second arm and if you have fast enough arms equipped or are close enough you'll generally be able to get a hit in, or even a throw if you are lucky.

- Careful about jumping a lot as your opener before throwing a punch. Just like players they can dodge or block it then punish you while you are falling to the ground. Its worth noting that there is a sizable window after you land where you cannot block. I've been caught by many a rush I thought I could block before I caught on to that.

- Bait their rushes. The ai generally will not use rush for no reason, its always checking for an opening that it thinks will let it land the rush. A few things I found that work is spacing your self a fair distance from them if possible and either throwing out a single punch or short hopping (lightly tap the jump button) and this usually makes the ai think it has an opening and burn its rush on nothing as you will usually have enough time to block it, depending on their arms. This trick works on people sometimes as well but it's much riskier.

- Running heavies works well just because they will usually try to punch through it and you will get the counter punch, this usually works well if done while they are on the way down from a jump.

- The AI is quite bad at fighting both dragon arms. If you want to take the easiest path to victory just run one or two dragons (I prefer the fire one due to the higher damage) and just fight from long range and try to land charged dragon shots.

VS. BYTE AND BARQ TIPS:

- Generally a heavy fist used well will destroy them since it blows through all 3 of Byte's default arms as well as Barq's mouth punch.

- He is pretty susceptible to advancing guards since all of his arms go straight forward.

- While tricky you can get some work done with high arcing arms like Ram Ram since all of his punches go straight forward.

- If he decides to bounce on Barq a bunch, get close and super him.

- If he's running a single popper then block or dodge his heavier arm then throw a punch since the popper will be knocked away and his only option would be to dodge. If he's running two poppers pick arms with big hit boxes that aren't light weight (hydra, poppers, any of the multi shot arms) and play aggressive since he can never punch through your attacks or just play the counter punching game where you fight at medium range and through a punch whenever he tries to get a counter hit.

- Try and knock out Barq whenever you can as long as attempt doesn't put you in a bad situation.

If you haven't gotten to the end of level 4 yet then here.

VS HEDLOK TIPS:

- The ai tricks for what i mentioned mostly all apply especially how you land supers.

- At most ranges his super is dodgeable by air dashing so baiting it out by jumping generally works, if your fast enough sometimes you can punch him with a charged punch and stop him before he even fires the projectile. IF you block the entire thing you run the risk of it breaking your guard and you eating a good chunk of health still.

- If he is running explosive arms try to aim for those when he charges them up (they glow red) and hasn't fired them since it will cause them to explode in his face. Hit enough of them and this will knock him down and out of his buff state sometimes.

- Careful about strafing in one direction too long. Its really easy for him to throw out three punches that all connect and disable one of your arms.

- its very rare to ever throw him since just one of his 6 punches is enough to break your attempt.

- If he's running hammers generally wait until he fires them, dodge then go for an attack. If he is in neutral and you throw a punch at close range, you are likely to take three explosive hammer strikes to the face since he'll just punch through any attempt even if you run a heavy arm.

- I find when he runs 6 Roasters (the purple fire gloves) to be his hardest setup since you can't abuse the explosions like his other arms and if a single one connects while charged its 140 damage to you.

- Save your rush (if possible) for when he is almost dead so you can avoid fighting him with permacharged arms and super armor. If you have rush but are at a massive health disadvantage just save it for the next round so you can get possibly two rushes in on him to seal the next round.

Hope these help, it's worth noting that I've been playing it in handheld mode 99% of the time so some of the controller problems with motion controls I can't weigh in on as much.

Chauzu

Beat a rank 14 player for the first time today, twice to boot! Shot me up back to rank 11 now. I probably played too much ARMS first few weeks and got burnt out, I'll hopefully be able to get this back on the menu daily from now on for some extra excercise.

JDdelphin

The community seems to have figured things out quite quickly. If you are able to post this online then you surely have a way of accessing all the data that has been found out so far. Fighting games generally tend this way. Basics are described in-game and in-depth tactics are provided by the community upon discovery.

A lot of information is learned as you play as well. I haven't learned much online that I couldn't figure out myself. I haven't even started looking for advanced techniques either. I've only really covered the basics and that has been enough for me to enjoy the game with so far. Maybe if I start getting bored with it I'll delve further, but seriously, just Google a bit. There are probably advanced technique videos posted by now.

Yeah sure, doesn't excuse them as designers for being short-sighted though.

My point isn't that 'oh it's too hard' it's the 'oh this is really new'

You should include more to get people comfortable with the game in general before being smashed by people online by weapons you've never seen with properties you're not familiar with.

New is great, but it's as if they didn't think it would be a lot for people who might just want to pick this game up and play like it was like Smash Bros or something

From reddit:

>Go to "Versus"->"Fight"
Press X
Set time to "No limit", Items off, HP to "infinite" and COM skill to "stationary", "evasive" or whatever level you want.<

It'd be nice if you could set the opponent to do a specific move to practice counters but oh well. Maybe next patch.

It's the closest thing to a free training drill there is.

Thanks for the help

NimbusD

Am I dumb or did they change the way exploding arms work? They explode now if they're charged even if you don't throw them? So if you charge and someone just lands a lunch on you, you explode? That happened to me for half of a match before I poured out what was happening, confused because the other person didn't have exploding arms and I wasn't punching with the exploding arm. Fucking weird. Makes those arms all but useless.

MGrant

Am I dumb or did they change the way exploding arms work? They explode now if they're charged even if you don't throw them? So if you charge and someone just lands a lunch on you, you explode? That happened to me for half of a match before I poured out what was happening, confused because the other person didn't have exploding arms and I wasn't punching with the exploding arm. Fucking weird. Makes those arms all but useless.

They've always been like that. Makes them a liability to carry against curving arms.

Raysoul

So yeah, this is what I was talking about with the weird double ko. Gets hit by the seekie, oponent gets koed, then seekie explodes and I get koed. So no invulnerability after the oponent is koed I guess. Wonder what happens if bark hits you right after you ko your oponent, same thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k94qTCbpN4c

If you kill the opponent, then Barq kills you after, it will result in double KO. Happened to me earlier. I was just like wtf.

Some initial thoughts:

Hedlok mode is the shit

Roaster is actually faster than toaster, at least when charged and likely uncharged, but if knocked down it takes longer to get to you. Both Roaster and Nade + do 150 damage charged

LordKano

Man, Max Brass is easily the worst possible character to fight Hedlok, I lost countless times before winning, it soured me of ever trying GP with him again.

Otherwise it's a fun character, but I won't change my main Spring Man.

LotusHD

Banned
Man, Max Brass is easily the worst possible character to fight Hedlok, I lost countless times before winning, it soured me of ever trying GP with him again.

Otherwise it's a fun character, but I won't change my main Spring Man.

It became a lot easier to beat him when I stuck to using his Hammer ARMS, or whatever it's called.

heringer

Maybe it's already old, but I've found a great way to get credits quickly.

Just go to Training mode with 2 players, go through the tutorial with both controllers and when the fight starts just keep winning and rematching. You can finish each fight in 10 seconds and each player gets one credit. I find this method faster than the V-Ball trick.

Crazyorloco

Maybe it's already old, but I've found a great way to get credits quickly.

Just go to Training mode with 2 players, go through the tutorial with both controllers and when the fight starts just keep winning and rematching. You can finish each fight in 10 seconds and each player gets one credit. I find this method faster than the V-Ball trick.

I'm trying to make this game last longer! lol So i'll just go through the regular ways to get the credits/money. Nice find though.

Doorman

How badly did this update nerf Kid Cobra?
Nerfing Kid Cobra directly? Not much. Just some reduced air distance, which plays into Cobra supposedly being a ground-based fighter anyway.
The Hydra arms also got a nerf so you can call that a nerf since they're among the Kid's defaults, but Hydras were strong for everyone and not just him.

Peltz

Um... it's really not that hard to pick up. Just play through the GP mode.

Doorman

It's so bad.
It's Mario Kart bad.

If they start to lose they just grab grab grab
The CPU can sometimes display some pretty frustrating competency when it comes to accuracy or timing, but if you're getting hit by consecutive grabs like that, there are definitely some things you can do about that. Most grabs are pretty punishable, especially if they're being spammed.

In fact, bringing in the other poster's point, there's a section in the training mode that allows you to practice this exactly in repeatable fashion.

mas8705

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/877360184015831040

All I know is Mechanica and her dad have some connection with him...

Maybe Springman too :/

Oh great... Now I feel bad about making an implcation of Max Brass being a selfish character. It is rare to see characters who are "final bosses" actually not be a total dick. Last one I can think of is the guy from KoF14 who puts on the tournament and fights by himself (and he isn't evil or anything... Hell, he cries when he watches a movie about a boy and his dog).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man this game needs a Save Replay feature. I have so many awesome matches, and heart breaking ones, that I'd love to share or just rewatch again. Ranked is really fun, so freaking tense! I haven't had such pulse racing fights instead playing SFIV back on PS3. So tense! I have fun even when I lose.

... But yeah that counter-picking Arms in Ranked is what it's all about. Today I had a match:
Round 1: I got dominated!
Round 2: Counter picked with my Arms and won on a PERFECT! Hell yeah, I'm going to tear it up next round...
Round 3: They counter picked their Arms and dominated me! I didn't get a hit in until the very end.

Good matches! I wish I could at least send some pre-set messages like "That was awesome!" Or even a simple GG. It sucks not being able to send over a congratulations after such good matches!

fernoca

Oh great... Now I feel bad about making an implcation of Max Brass being a selfish character. It is rare to see characters who are "final bosses" actually not be a total dick. Last one I can think of is the guy from KoF14 who puts on the tournament and fights by himself (and he isn't evil or anything... Hell, he cries when he watches a movie about a boy and his dog).
Yep. Then you fight the evil, final and bullshit boss. XD

Top Bottom