• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Bloody hell, I forgot how much I actually despise facing the CPU in this game, lured back in by the update and then greeted by these input reading chucklefucks reminds me why I never returned to Grand Prix after unlocking ranked.

/vent post

Neiteio

Max Brass continues to be so much fun. I love charging to pump up.

Bloody hell, I forgot how much I actually despise facing the CPU in this game, lured back in by the update and then greeted by these input reading chucklefucks reminds me why I never returned to Grand Prix after unlocking ranked.

/vent post
Stick to lv. 4 or 5, they're pretty fair about input reading.

MGrant

Max Brass is hilarious and has legit Mindgames for days, but I need more. This fucking game. Give me my cowboy/girl character with lasso-arms.

What if I told you I started on 5, went back down to 4 and then got walled by Byte and Barq in the second match.
I know I'm rusty but it still ain't right to me that a totally valid tactic is using dragon arm spam because they have trouble using their super reactive powers with both the initial punch and then beam.

I JUST WANTED TO TRY DA BRASS!

Neiteio

What if I told you I started on 5, went back down to 4 and then got walled by Byte and Barq in the second match.
I know I'm rusty but it still ain't right to me that a totally valid tactic is using dragon arm spam because they have trouble using their super reactive powers with both the initial punch and then beam.

I JUST WANTED TO TRY DA BRASS!
One does not simply "try" Da Brass

One must live Da Brass.

Be Da Brass.

Clench their cheeks... like Da Brass.

One does not simply "try" Da Brass

One must live Da Brass.

Be Da Brass.

Clench their cheeks... like Da Brass.

Perhaps tomorrow I will venture back into the online world to regain my footing, it's surprisingly a less demeaning place than "I'll just warm up with the CPU...OH GOD NO!"

Blunoise

I have never seen so many quitters in rank, don't they know they will still lose points. It's like I'm fighting babies, take your loss!!

I have never seen so many quitters in rank, don't they know they will still lose points. It's like I'm fighting babies, take your loss!!

What exactly is the improved penalty for leaving?

Also, did the person who stays still get nothing? Wouldn't an improvement be that the person who stays gets the win?

You're not clenching hard enough. STEEL THY BUNS.

zlCfzSSFHLQu6umJyj

Age old wisdom

Doorman

When it comes to the CPU, I find that the one that seems to give me fits more than any other isn't Byte and Barq, but Spring Man. The deflections, the rage, the bizarrely perfect timing and aim with everything...geh.

So far the key for beating B&B in the 'Prix seems to boil down to the same kind of strategy you'd use to fight a human version: knock Barq out early, and often. Byte alone becomes pretty easy to pressure, and incredibly easy to punish if you have any heavy arms equipped. Guard-counters can work well too if you're using speedier arms instead.

When it comes to the CPU, I find that the one that seems to give me fits more than any other isn't Byte and Barq, but Spring Man. The deflections, the rage, the bizarrely perfect timing and aim with everything...geh.

So far the key for beating B&B in the 'Prix seems to boil down to the same kind of strategy you'd use to fight a human version: knock Barq out early, and often. Byte alone becomes pretty easy to pressure, and incredibly easy to punish if you have any heavy arms equipped. Guard-counters can work well too if you're using speedier arms instead.
Marvellously the one other CPU guy I fought? Spring Man!
The level 5 version beat me into submission, I couldn't deal. I got dealt a bad hand today.

Hahah, I don't remember that
You have to enter the amazingly silly cheat code for "Butt mode".

Neiteio

As we sail further off topic to try and tie this back into Arms, we could have a uhhh, shovelhead glove that scoops opponents up for slight combo potential. Or not.
We often talk about a silent movie fighter with film reel arms. Well he could have camera gloves that flash their bulbs when charged, inducing Blind. :-O

Any tips on how to beat Ninjara's AI in level 4 grand prix? I'm trying to get comfortable with Master Mummy, but I keep getting outmaneuvered; I'll throw a punch and he'll dodge and counter with a grab faster than I can get to him. Anything I might be able to try?

Ogodei

Max Brass is totally fun. Also had an ace run as Byte and Barq which further cements my belief that i have no idea who i'm actually good with (i was good with Byte and Barq, then i thought they were mediocre, now i'm back to "good").

My version 1 best was Min Min (mostly because i spent so much time trying to get good with her), the Retorcher (uses for days) but my best stage was... Sky Arena. The one that wasn't available online. I guess it's based on win percentage, and i never had that much problem with Max Brass or Hedlok offline (while everyone else but Kid Cobra and Master Mummy gave me trouble with different characters).

Seems i played 457 matches in Party Mode in the short time before the sunset of version 1. Yikes.

Still haven't touched ranked yet.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
If you guys haven't messed around with 1 vs 100 and ARMS Test, they're great! Way better than messing around with the GP mode. It's a lot of fun, something entertaining to do when playing offline.

Doorman

If you guys haven't messed around with 1 vs 100 and ARMS Test, they're great! Way better than messing around with the GP mode. It's a lot of fun, something entertaining to do when playing offline.

I've been kind of using ARMS Test as my de facto "warm up" mode, since you can just kinda mess around in it and get back into game flow and controls without thinking or worrying too much.

...Didn't do me much help in ranked today though. Lost 3 out of 4 sets to a guy using almost nothing but double electricity-arms. Double Seekie in particular was a pain in the ass to try and deal with and it's got me looking back being very frustrated with where I am in the game right now.

What makes this game fun?

I kinda wanna buy it because i just got a Switch and am looking for new stuff, but I'm skeptical. Looks like a bare bones game...

What makes it so good? Is it just the feel of it? How's the single player?

Rmagnus

Banned
What makes this game fun?

I kinda wanna buy it because i just got a Switch and am looking for new stuff, but I'm skeptical. Looks like a bare bones game...

What makes it so good? Is it just the feel of it? How's the single player?

It's a fighting game, think of games like street fighter or king of fighters. If it's not the type of games you enjoy don't bother getting it.

Rmagnus

Banned
I do enjoy fighting games. No way this is as complex though?

Compared to? If you are strictly talking about inputs of course this is no where near something like kof or SF series. You have a variety of arms with different attributes and each character have a very distinct play style. Hmm it's actually hard to explain this game.

I would say it's similar to virtual on?

I wish theres a demo on eshop for folks who missed the server test thing.

Compared to? If you are strictly talking about inputs of course this is no where near something like kof or SF series. You have a variety of arms with different attributes and each character have a very distinct play style. Hmm it's actually hard to explain this game.

I would say it's similar to virtual on?

I wish theres a demo on eshop for folks who missed the server test thing.

I have played Virtual On, but It's been a while.

Thanks for your help. One more question if you don't mind- how feasible is it to play using handheld mode with the joycons attached? Not a huge fan of motion controls

Soul Lab

Thanks for your help. One more question if you don't mind- how feasible is it to play using handheld mode with the joycons attached? Not a huge fan of motion controls
It's perfectly fine except for blocking maybe which is mapped to clickling the left stick.
Usually I play with motion controls but when I am on the go I play in handheld mode and it works great for me too

I just found a great flow using the new gold glove and the now faster Guardian. Felt good.

Looking forward to trying out the Guardian with Max Brass when I unlock it.

Rmagnus

Banned

I actually play better with handheld mode lol although I do find motion controls more fun but I seem to panic more for some reason. Good warm up before my runs tho.

Crom

It's a fighting game, think of games like street fighter or king of fighters. If it's not the type of games you enjoy don't bother getting it.

I don't like most fighting games but like Arms. It is addicting and unique. I am always telling myself "one more"

MGrant

Having made it to rank 15 and faced players up to rank 18, I'm seeing more and more cheese strats that seem a little too good, like the following:

- Min-Min with Dragon Ramram and defensive arm (dragon, hammer, whatever). The whole fight is a 50-50 guessing game that depends on you getting close, but good fucking luck with that when the Ramram moves at the speed of sound and she's constantly running away. Your best bet is knocking down the Ramram and then making a good guess. On DNA lab/Hollywood/Scrapyard you've basically already lost because she gets free charges from behind obstacles.

- Spring Man/Kid Cobra with dual gloves on ramen bowl. They run the fuck away the whole time and go for potshots. Once they get the life lead, it's over, and they build meter too damn fast to super them down.

There are others, especially with Helix and Ribbon Girl, but there's not a ton of variety in the top ranks. I run Twintelle with Blorb, Chilla, and Tribolt/Chakram for reference. I think I might need to start running a slapper, as much as that pains me.

Having made it to rank 15 and faced players up to rank 18, I'm seeing more and more cheese strats that seem a little too good, like the following:

- Min-Min with Dragon Ramram and defensive arm (dragon, hammer, whatever). The whole fight is a 50-50 guessing game that depends on you getting close, but good fucking luck with that when the Ramram moves at the speed of sound and she's constantly running away. Your best bet is knocking down the Ramram and then making a good guess. On DNA lab/Hollywood/Scrapyard you've basically already lost because she gets free charges from behind obstacles.

- Spring Man/Kid Cobra with dual gloves on ramen bowl. They run the fuck away the whole time and go for potshots. Once they get the life lead, it's over, and they build meter too damn fast to super them down.

There are others, especially with Helix and Ribbon Girl, but there's not a ton of variety in the top ranks. I run Twintelle with Blorb, Chilla, and Tribolt/Chakram for reference.

That min min is all I see. It's like they had a meeting and all agreed to use the same arms and run away the whole fight

RRockman

Banned

There are others, especially with Helix and Ribbon Girl, but there's not a ton of variety in the top ranks. I run Twintelle with Blorb, Chilla, and Tribolt/Chakram for reference. I think I might need to start running a slapper, as much as that pains me.

Not really true about Min Min. I can angle my toasters around/jump to hit her just fine. It's the big wide open stages that start you far from each other that is the worst, (ninjara's stage) since unless you have a long quick ARM you'll never reach her in time. But yeah the key to Min Min is rushdown rushdown rushdown. Make her work for her charge. I haven't fought those type of spring men or kid cobras yet though.

Seik

Banned
Went up to mid-rank 10, thanks to a fellow named Brandon who never wanted to call it off.

I think we played 10 games and I lost 3, thank you B! 😀

NimbusD

I mean if you are using exploding ARMS they will explode on impact when someone punches you when you release it.
Yeah but what's happening now is someone can just hit the arm without you even punching it and you'll explode. Making exploding arms useless as their too big a liability. They're more likely to explode you than anyone else.

I spend most of my time messing around with Arms Test, actually!

Arms Test is AWESOME. It's the perfect "survival" mode.

I've gone back to this game over the past couple days, due to the update, and I really, truly love it. It's going to make my GotY list, easily. I can't wait for more updates and I desperately hope we get a sequel.

Doorman

They should just give every character the block heal ability and give Master Mummy some other quirk.
More mobile characters having block-heal would just make the run away strats way more effective than they already are. Gain a decent life lead, then run and turtle and increase that lead through healing? Mummy's too slow and big to really get away with playing keep-away like that so he needs the heal in order to have an incentive to stand your ground.

SuperSah

Banned
Arms Test is AWESOME. It's the perfect "survival" mode.

I've gone back to this game over the past couple days, due to the update, and I really, truly love it. It's going to make my GotY list, easily. I can't wait for more updates and I desperately hope we get a sequel.

Nintendo really did create something special with this one :)

MGrant

Played a level 20. He was a Spring Man with two Roasters who dashed constantly and played keepaway. There's just too little downtime to his ability; the window for attack is several frames at most. At least make Spring Man's deflect go on cooldown for 3 seconds or something.

Top Bottom