• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Min Min questions:

- does left arm charge last through multiple punches?
- can she kick away air throws, or just punches?
It lasts until you are knocked down, unlimited punches.

Kick interrupts throws I'm pretty sure, though I'm not in front of my game to double check.

Edit: beaten like a throw spamming ninjara v. Min min

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I did a GP4 and got about 30 coins in Party Mode before calling it a night. Probably right around an hour, maybe an hour 15 of ARMS with 2lb wrist weights. It definitely got my heart rate up and for a little over half of it I was standing up which makes a big difference in the intensity. Definitely recommend that as a big point for anyone interested in the fitness potential here. Sitting down, you will too easily keep your arms from bearing the weight subconsciously (i.e. by resting your elbows on something). Despite the added effort the time went extremely quickly, hehe.

During Hedlok, I did break into a legit sweat. It also took me 4 or 5 tries to down him whereas the last handful of GP4s I've done I got him first try, so it will definitely handicap your movements/play a bit. But placebo or otherwise, I felt extra spry in the one party match I did before bed after taking the weights off (and won it), so it might actually help train performance over time!

All in all pretty good, I think I will start to include doing a "weighted GP" as part of my requirement to graduate to the next GP level, and will often keep the weights on when just messing around in party mode for some extra burn. If you don't regularly do any cardio, it's definitely going to feel pretty legit if you play for a while standing up with wrist weights, you will sweat. I really want to try it for a 1v100 match tonight.

edit: Even before this experiment I'd had some potential concerns about the impact of sweat on the Joycons. Just ordered these to give a try: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKT1M5K/?tag=neogaf0e-20 can't argue with the price at least.

I did a GP4 and got about 30 coins in Party Mode before calling it a night. Probably right around an hour, maybe an hour 15 of ARMS with 2lb wrist weights. It definitely got my heart rate up and for a little over half of it I was standing up which makes a big difference in the intensity. Definitely recommend that as a big point for anyone interested in the fitness potential here. Sitting down, you will too easily keep your arms from bearing the weight subconsciously (i.e. by resting your elbows on something). Despite the added effort the time went extremely quickly, hehe.

During Hedlok, I did break into a legit sweat. It also took me 4 or 5 tries to down him whereas the last handful of GP4s I've done I got him first try, so it will definitely handicap your movements/play a bit. But placebo or otherwise, I felt extra spry in the one party match I did before bed after taking the weights off (and won it), so it might actually help train performance over time!

All in all pretty good, I think I will start to include doing a "weighted GP" as part of my requirement to graduate to the next GP level, and will often keep the weights on when just messing around in party mode for some extra burn. If you don't regularly do any cardio, it's definitely going to feel pretty legit if you play for a while standing up with wrist weights, you will sweat. I really want to try it for a 1v100 match tonight.

When you drop into Party Mode afterwards:

ff64ee44a1c272d823082cc007c52664d282fc93_hq.gif

Crazyorloco

It lasts until you are knocked down, unlimited punches.

Kick interrupts throws I'm pretty sure, though I'm not in front of my game to double check.

Edit: beaten like a throw spamming ninjara v. Min min

HOLD UP...MIN MIN CAN KICK?!?

4 hours of playing this game only with her and I didn't realize that lol pretty cool.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
When you drop into Party Mode afterwards:

ff64ee44a1c272d823082cc007c52664d282fc93_hq.gif
lol literally just made this reference on the discord, good stuff. ��
HOLD UP...MIN MIN CAN KICK?!?

4 hours of playing this game only with her and I didn't realize that lol pretty cool.
Her dash, unlike anyone else's is a flip kick that interrupts arms. It's quite tricky to use intentionally IMO but I admit it has saved my ass by accident numerous times.

B00TE

Her dash, unlike anyone else's is a flip kick that interrupts arms. It's quite tricky to use intentionally IMO but I admit it has saved my ass by accident numerous times.

I use the forward air kick pretty aggressively, it's a lot of fun to push forward without throwing an arm out.

Been goofing off with Ninjara, I think I love his block teleport. It still makes me wish even harder for a better block button though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I use the forward air kick pretty aggressively, it's a lot of fun to push forward without throwing an arm out.
Good point, I love that about Kid Cobra as well. I should play around with the kick in training.
Been goofing off with Ninjara, I think I love his block teleport. It still makes me wish even harder for a better block button though.
Yeah, it can be great and brutalize certain arms and particularly Rushes. After relying on it really heavily early on, I have gone too far the other direction in learning to play more aggressively with him, and now find I leave myself open sometimes when just simply guarding would completely throw my opponent off. Need to find the right balance.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
lol literally just made this reference on the discord, good stuff. ��

AI Min Min kicks my shit like mad. Can that interrupt grabs? Because I think it can. She would just go to TOWN on my attempts to hit her.

Good point, I love that about Kid Cobra as well. I should play around with the kick in training.

Yeah, it can be great and brutalize certain arms and particularly Rushes. After relying on it really heavily early on, I have gone too far the other direction in learning to play more aggressively with him, and now find I leave myself open sometimes when just simply guarding would completely throw my opponent off. Need to find the right balance.

He's talking about Min Min not Kid Cobra..

I had all upgraded arms with Helix, so I said screw it and decided to spend my 2,624 coins to get them all upgraded for everyone else too. If you're using someone who can't gey any more ARMS it'll be evenly distributed and if everyone has every arm it's essentially skillshot by yourself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
AI Min Min kicks my shit like mad. Can that interrupt grabs? Because I think it can. She would just go to TOWN on my attempts to hit her.
Yah it definitely can. Random25 confirmed above and in hindsight I've definitely seen it happen.

AI Min Min will try to pin you down from afar with the charge arm. For a good many characters it can pay off to just rush her shit and apply constant pressure. Who are you using?
We should have some motion control battles later on. :)

Z5aH8cq.png
A photograph was taken of this confrontation in person
hqdefault.jpg

He's talking about Min Min not Kid Cobra..
Oops sorry for being unclear....

"it's a lot of fun to push forward without throwing an arm out."

I love that quality, which can also be found in Kid Cobra as well. In Min Min because of the kick, in Snek Boy because of the multi-dash sliding under arms.

pprkut

Neo Member
Did anyone else also breeze through level 4 with minimal experience? I haven't played a lot but I found it to be pretty easy, especially Headlock.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yah it definitely can. Random25 confirmed above and in hindsight I've definitely seen it happen.

AI Min Min will try to pin you down from afar with the charge arm. For a good many characters it can pay off to just rush her shit and apply constant pressure. Who are you using?

I've been using Twintelle, but I haven't settled on a main yet.

Also, I got a good number of disconnects last night after about 6-10 matches of free play or whatever. Anyone know what's up?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did anyone else also breeze through level 4 with minimal experience? I haven't played a lot but I found it to be pretty easy, especially Headlock.
your avatar is so freaking relevant in context lol
I've been using Twintelle, but I haven't settled on a main yet.

Also, I got a good number of disconnects last night after about 6-10 matches of free play or whatever. Anyone know what's up?
Twintelle's good yo, haven't used her much myself though.

I have been getting frequent disconnects too. Apparently the Switch Wifi in general is not particularly great. :(
You won't believe this method to get ripped playing the new Nintendo game!
Funny there's also an image of someone playing on an exercise bike up there haha

Ketch

I've switched from ninjara to spring man. Left hand fire popper (130 damage when charged up is bonkers for a popper) and electric boxing glove on the right hand. Setting someone up with the charged deflect into stun grab is pretty good.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can you do custom lobbies? It'd be fun to get a group of GAF folks playing matches together. Or hell, some of my friends who are picking this up.

I found single player level 4 to be rage inducing, I was screaming at the screen. But the last 2 battles were soooooo easy, they barely touched me. In a way I'm glad it made me learn the game better, but it was overall an unpleasant experience I'm not sure I want to repeat. I absolutely suck at fighting games, so anyone who thinks they can't finish level 4, keep banging your head against the wall for a few hours and you'll get it!

Chauzu

Can you do custom lobbies? It'd be fun to get a group of GAF folks playing matches together. Or hell, some of my friends who are picking this up.

We have GAF lobbies regularly! A lot of fun but also a lot of good players. (Heck, I lose more than I win and I'm rank 8 now and feel pretty good.)

Peltz

Ugh playing last night I realised a lot of people are now only using the technique of standing there guarding, waiting for me to do a throw to overcome the guard, quickly jumping to the side right after I use my grab and hitting me with a side jab.

Over and over again.

Great fun. ��

Keep throwing punches and try to destroy the guard shield. Eventually, you will fill your super meter faster than them and be able to cause some damage too. Then, when your opponent is expecting more punches, close in and grab.

Defensive players are very effective in the game, but you can beat them by being unpredictable, causing some chip damage, then landing a few good hits and backing off until time expires.

Man fuck hedlock and fuck this game
Just keep your distance and keep throwing jabs. He's really easy when he's far away.

Don't go for the powerup drops to heal or fill your special gauge. He will punish you if you try to get in there. He's very easy when you keep the match a long-range fight.

Moondrop

Banned
It's not a placebo. Your perception of the masses at the end of your arms relies on the same sensory pathways as your perception of fatigue. Motion controls rely heavily on your body's ability to perceive additional mass, and essentially updates its internal representation of your arm plus the joycon to account for the wrist weights. When you then remove the weights after your body has updated its representation, it has to re-update to the original joycon mass. Not only do you accurately perceive it as lighter, but you should also perceive swinging your arms as "less fatiguing."

There's an old anecdote about hiking where if you're tired, but you still have a long way to go, you should pick up a heavy rock and carry it for a few miles. Yes it will increase your suffering in the short term, but when you eventually drop that rock you'll feel great.

So instead of struggling against a wall on 4, I suggest replaying 3 or even 2 with the character you want to improve with, until you can easily clear those without losing a match.

4 is a huge difficulty spike, it definitely makes you prepare. But as someone who considered 4 extremely difficult the first time through, with multiple retries on every fight, I can now make short work of most fights in it with multiple characters. It's actually kind of amazing how much of a difference you will feel over time if you stick with it.

GP4 is also the right time to start considering your Arms selection and mastering your character's gimmick(s). Who are you using?

I lost to match 1 at least 12 times and at least 3 times for everybody else up to the last boss and i died at least 20.

I then turned around and trounced level 5 with ribbon girl and ninjara no problem all with standard arms.

Believe.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm using Mechanica with Revolver arms. I sucked in the Testpunch until I tried those.

correojon

Fighting Hedlok in party mode, activate my rush attack and another player grabs him, wasting my rush. Further into the match I get another rush, activate it and another player (don't know if it was the same guy) hits me, interrupting my rush and making me flinch into a bomb, which kills me.
Later I get in a 1VS1VS1 fight against a Ninjara and a Kid Cobra. Right from the start the Ninjara guy starts grabspamming me. I knock him down a couple of times and decide to go after the other guy, who was just watching. But nooo, the Ninjara guy is still going after me. I try to ignore him and continue attacking the other guy, hope he'll see that he's still almost at full health. I unleash a rush attack against Cobra and Ninjara saves him by grabbing me. He didn't get the message and the match turns into a 2VS1 against me. I die not before leaving Ninjara with a sliver of health, as I'm falling down I see Cobra killing Ninjara with a single hit and winning the match with 3/4 of health left.
This game is going to beat the world record of MK8 of salt producing in a single week.

evanmisha

Humble.

We're supposed to get Max Brass in June, right? Not much time left, will be fun to try out a new character and, presumably, a few new arms too. I'm looking for it, but can't find what they said would be in the July update?

Spectator mode in June. Max Brass in July.

I dunno if it's optimal or not but the motion controls in this game are fun as hell. I think i get into it a little too much.

I kind of ended up raising my fists in the air yelling "I AM THE CHAMP" in my empty apartment after beating some tough fights.

Humble.

We're supposed to get Max Brass in June, right? Not much time left, will be fun to try out a new character and, presumably, a few new arms too. I'm looking for it, but can't find what they said would be in the July update?

When I make those remarks I'm more playful than anything, I never actually mean it, hence the emoticon.

As for the second post, I was merely stating my observations, especially considering I haven't seen any other Helix yet

Peltz

I dunno if it's optimal or not but the motion controls in this game are fun as hell. I think i get into it a little too much.

I kind of ended up raising my fists in the air yelling "I AM THE CHAMP" in my empty apartment after beating some tough fights.

I win a match as Barq and Byte and I break into a robot dance. GF thought I was crazy lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've switched from ninjara to spring man. Left hand fire popper (130 damage when charged up is bonkers for a popper) and electric boxing glove on the right hand. Setting someone up with the charged deflect into stun grab is pretty good.
I think Spring Man is shaping up to be my nemesis matchup with Ninjara. I just don't have a good handle on him and if I dominate suddenly he's in that damn <25% permacharge and just fuuuuu.
I found single player level 4 to be rage inducing, I was screaming at the screen. But the last 2 battles were soooooo easy, they barely touched me. In a way I'm glad it made me learn the game better, but it was overall an unpleasant experience I'm not sure I want to repeat. I absolutely suck at fighting games, so anyone who thinks they can't finish level 4, keep banging your head against the wall for a few hours and you'll get it!
Thing is, if you keep playing GP4 you will improve dramatically and it will feel prettayyyy good to think back to how much trouble it used to give you.
It's not a placebo. Your perception of the masses at the end of your arms relies on the same sensory pathways as your perception of fatigue. Motion controls rely heavily on your body's ability to perceive additional mass, and essentially updates its internal representation of your arm plus the joycon to account for the wrist weights. When you then remove the weights after your body has updated its representation, it has to re-update to the original joycon mass. Not only do you accurately perceive it as lighter, but you should also perceive swinging your arms as "less fatiguing."

There's an old anecdote about hiking where if you're tired, but you still have a long way to go, you should pick up a heavy rock and carry it for a few miles. Yes it will increase your suffering in the short term, but when you eventually drop that rock you'll feel great.
That makes sense and absolutely matches up with my experience. After removing the weights I felt like I could play at the same level with less effort, and then push to a higher level of play that I couldn't reach with the weights if I exerted more effort.

I definitely am thinking I'll play at least a little bit with them every day.
Yah there have been lobbies every night I believe. Be warned that some of the regulars are REALLY REALLY REALLY good ;) I encourage anyone who wants to play with fellow GAF folk to hop on the discord
On a lunch break, tether my Switch to my phone, jump online and play a few Party Matches. I love this game and the Switch.
I left my Switch at home... such a rookie mistake.
Fighting Hedlok in party mode, activate my rush attack and another player grabs him, wasting my rush. Further into the match I get another rush, activate it and another player (don't know if it was the same guy) hits me, interrupting my rush and making me flinch into a bomb, which kills me.
Later I get in a 1VS1VS1 fight against a Ninjara and a Kid Cobra. Right from the start the Ninjara guy starts grabspamming me. I knock him down a couple of times and decide to go after the other guy, who was just watching. But nooo, the Ninjara guy is still going after me. I try to ignore him and continue attacking the other guy, hope he'll see that he's still almost at full health. I unleash a rush attack against Cobra and Ninjara saves him by grabbing me. He didn't get the message and the match turns into a 2VS1 against me. I die not before leaving Ninjara with a sliver of health, as I'm falling down I see Cobra killing Ninjara with a single hit and winning the match with 3/4 of health left.
This game is going to beat the world record of MK8 of salt producing in a single week.
Thing with Party Mode... it's like... there's nothing resembling balance going on. It's just chaos (with the occasional fair fight thrown in to mix things up). You have to just roll with it and take the silly shit like described above in stride. Try to laugh it off when ridiculous illogical crap happens due to the actions of randoms, because sometimes it's gonna be compleeeetely out of your control, and the mode becomes pretty damn fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Humble.

Gore was not programmed with humility functions, watch for future firmware updates

I'm curious, are any of the arms that Max Brass or Hedlok use not currently in the game? I'm not sure what the purple fists are or if the fire fists are basically one of the other existing arms.

Yes

you know what is up

the things that are up, you know them

Just keep your distance and keep throwing jabs. He's really easy when he's far away.

Don't go for the powerup drops to heal or fill your special gauge. He will punish you if you try to get in there. He's very easy when you keep the match a long-range fight.
I'll give it another shot when I get home

RedFury

Gore was not programmed with humility functions, watch for future firmware updates

I'm curious, are any of the arms that Max Brass or Hedlok use not currently in the game? I'm not sure what the purple fists are or if the fire fists are basically one of the other existing arms.

Yes

you know what is up

the things that are up, you know them
I dont think so, the in game model looks different. Looks more like a gauntlet than a glove. Then there is the violet arm what element is that and what does it do? Haven't been hit by it, I played keep away and won on time every time.

Moondrop

Banned
I too believe that to be the best arm combination right now, and I'm working on my Spring Man. Only I don't have either arm for him yet, but I tested it on Min Min.

There's definitely a hammer with explosion element. And I suspect the purple is a whole new element that's yet to be introduced to players.

I dont think so, the in game model looks different. Looks more like a gauntlet than a glove. Then there is the violet arm what element is that and what does it do? Haven't been hit by it, I played keep away and won on time every time.

I can't tell if the purple thing is a new element or just the same thing that happens when Master Mummy charges up his megaton.
Hard to say for sure since we don't really know what his ability is, right? Maybe it's a function of hulking out lol.
But it would be weird if he didn't have 3 distinct arms for standard play. It's not like you'll have to unlock him, so he should be fine for tournament rosters and such

RRockman

Banned
Oh my gosh I finally have the game coming my way. it had to wait a bit cause I got the Gold ps4, but now its on its finally way here. I'm salty you guys got close to a week's head start, but I'll catch up! just you wait!

Yup. I was rather surprised when I beat him on my first try this way. He's so intimidating-looking I just tried to keep my distance, and before I knew it I had beaten him with most of my health still intact.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What's better, Ramram or Slapamander?
Very very different arms with different applications and both great. Different implications depending on the character you're playing too. No simple better or worse IMO.

Acutally... the more I play the more impressed I am that almost all Arms do seem to have at least some viability.

The exceptions IMO are Cracker (is it just "worse popper" or am I missing something?) and Guardian which I cannot make heads or tails of.

Even Homie and Seekie which I imagined to be pure gimmick have their uses, especially on a single arm paired with something versatile. Access to that sweet Rush explosion, sogood.

Theorymon

So a few days ago I managed to reach rank 9 (tornado) in ranked play. I seem to be doing alright, but I'm curious: what do you guys think are the best, most dangerous loadouts?

Currently I mainly use Ninjara with That Electric Bird thing, the Sparky, and that green Slapamander (I prefer the red for damage output but I don't have that for him yet), and Mechanica with a Slapamander / Chakram (need to get a Ramram for her lol) / Whammer.

Thing is, I'm sure there are better loadouts than these! I'm particularly interested in Helix loadouts since from lurking this thread, people are saying he may be broken? Not gonna lie, I do tend to gravitate towards broken stuff if possible :p

I'll take loadouts for any characters though. While Ninjara and Mechanica are technically my "mains" at the moment, I feel like that's subject to change as I experiment some more!

Moondrop

Banned
Hey Hawkian are you going to flip out like this for Splatoon 2? I just want to be prepared. :p

The exceptions IMO are Cracker (is it just "worse popper" or am I missing something?) and Guardian which I cannot make heads or tails of.
I think Cracker is the best arm so I must be missing something. It's 130 damage when charged, whereas today is the first I've heard that there's juggling. Yay Mortal Kombat.

Top Bottom