• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

LotusHD

Banned
Lol, IGN gave this a 4.7, while AVClub gave it a A-. They're not always in sync, but damn, this episode is that divisive? Have it recorded, bout to watch it later tonight

abundant

Lol, IGN gave this a 4.7, while AVClub gave it a A-. They're not always in sync, but damn, this episode is that divisive? Have it recorded, bout to watch it later tonight

Not that surprising. It basically comes down to your enjoyment/tolerance of Olicity. For those who like it or are fine with it, they'd consider the episode to be good. For those who hate it, they'd consider the episode to be bad.

Zen Aku

You said it was filler.

To me filler is an episode not connected to any others existing solely to entertain. Arrowverse is generally really good at having at least some character stuff connect episodes.
Filler to me is when there's an episode that is largely self-contain and does not move the main plot development in any meaningful way. Which this episode didn't, until the very end when Adrian visit Oliver's son.

For example, a lot of Dragon Ball Z episodes are filler.

Not that surprising. It basically comes down to your enjoyment/tolerance of Olicity. For those who like it or are fine with it, they'd consider the episode to be good. For those who hate it, they'd consider the episode to be bad.

See, I liked this episode because Dinah got to say words in it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

4.7? That's ridiculous. What did they give this week's episode of The Flash? 😐

SeanC

I'm all for a scaled down character episode but I feel the Olicity angle ran it's course already and this was just going back to the well. Not bad, some good acting actually (which, lets face it, you don't get much on Arrow because that's not the focus) but I feel Oliver with a Diggle or Oliver with a Quentin Lance might have had something a little fresher to address.

Aside from Oliver still not calling out the bullshit on him not telling her about his kid under the guise of trust, I mean yeah Oliver was dumb to not say anything but still it's dumb, this episode was fine.

A 4.7 is ridiculous, even if you don't like Olicity stuff. This episode was basically the writers saying "we can't logically just act like Olicity never existed, so let's just resolve it with one episode as opposed to spreading the drama out". And it wasn't a bad way to accomplish that. I didn't love the episode (thought it was fine), but a 4.7 is nonsense IMO.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
AVClub is right.

giphy.gif

I don't even care for "Olicity" and I thought it was just a well written character episode. It boggles my mind that people would rag on this but eat up Flash with a spoon. Now that show is filler. Nonsensical action sequences sprinkled across a base of "Can we talk for sec?" scenes.

I hated Olicity last season and I enjoyed this episode. It felt like a nice and much needed way to address all that's happened between them and finally get them on the same page. Diggle and Lyla's relationship drama felt a little more unnecessary, but I guess I can understand the parallel they were trying to draw.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Guggenheim snaps Felicity's neck and has her practically apologize to the audience and it still isn't good enough for some of you.

I kind of missed some of the dialogue because The CW app plays some commercials twice as loud as others (which they REALLY need to fix), which woke up my baby.

Did they decide to get back together or not?

carlsojo

Watching seasons 3 and 4, I have no idea why Olicity was ever even a thing.

And then I watched Underneath and was like oh yeah. Oliver and Felicity are actually great together, they make a great team, and have great chemistry.

AVclub was right on this one.

sturmdogg

And then I watched Underneath and was like oh yeah. Oliver and Felicity are actually great together, they make a great team, and have great chemistry.

In small doses. VERY small.

Of all his suitors, her and Sarah were the only ones to have it.

The biggest problem was that the Olicity stuff became the focus of the show, every week was about advancing the Olicity drama and even the crime fighting was just a means to advance Olicity.

This episode is fine. I DO NOT WANT them to get back together, but this resolved the utter stupidity of the "You didn't tell me about your son even though it was the only way to keep him in your life" story line. I sometimes wonder if the whole point of that was to show that women are irrational.
/s

I think the Olicity thing did a lot of damage to season 3, and didn't help season 4. If they can resolve the issues there and move on, I'm on board.

Skux

Very good episode despite the $2 budget. Oliver/Felicity is much more appealing when they're solving drama instead of generating it, and both character motivations made sense this time around.

Great idea to slow the story down and actually take the time to sort out the character stuff before moving to the finale.

Grizzlyjin

50% of Shannara Chronicles' budget goes to elf ears and keeping Manu deep in Happy Meals.

PixlNinja

Banned

Yes, they are great together, which is why the writers shouldn't have fucked it up. The scene where they have their first date in Season 3 is one of my favorite in the show's run so far. I don't usually care about tv romances but this is one I was a fan of because of how good a fit the two actors onscreen are.

ZeroX03

Banned
They released the season finale synopsis, and yes, it's just as epic as you thought. Read at the risk of priapism.

#5.23 "Lian Yu"
DEATHSTROKE, NYSSA AL GHUL, MERLYN AND DIGGER HARKNESS JOIN OLIVER'S BATTLE AGAINST PROMETHEUS - The battle between Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Adrian Chase (Josh Segarra) culminates in a final epic battle on Lian Yu. After recent events, Oliver decides to recruit a group of unlikely allies - Slade (guest star Manu Bennett), Nyssa (guest star Katrina Law), Merlyn (John Barrowman) and Digger Harkness (guest star Nick. E. Tarabay) - to defeat Chase. However, Chase has his own army - Black Siren (guest star Katie Cassidy), Evelyn Sharp (guest star Madison McLaughlin) and Talia al Ghul (guest star Lexa Doig) - and the forces collide in an explosive season finale. Jesse Warn directed the episode written by Wendy Mericle & Marc Guggenheim.

Top Bottom