• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Is this show REALLY that good?

I mean I allways kinda thought Hawkeye / Green Arrow was kind of lame.

No superpowers but just a stupid bow and good aiming skills.

Starts fairly corny and soap opera-esque but moves at a pace that keeps you watching all the way up to the EXCELLENT final episodes in season 1

Season 2 has been nothing short of awesome.

And the whole "he just uses a bow" thing is really dismissive of how awesome their characters are. Hawkeye didn't get much chance to show off his personality, but he brought down the helicarrier with a single arrow. And Green Arrow is great. He's a lot darker here, but the character always ends up being super fucking likable in almost anything he's in. Case and point.

God damn i love this show. Makes me wonder how much better Smallville could have been if it would have just been created along side Arrow.
We have to wait and see how the Flash series is.
Batman/Green Arrow work amazingly in a tv format, cant recall a live action tv series that has nailed someone like Superman.

Smallville had the added challenge of not being able to actually use Superman.

KaoticBlaze

We have to wait and see how the Flash series is.
Batman/Green Arrow work amazingly in a tv format, cant recall a live action tv series that has nailed someone like Superman.

Smallville had the added challenge of not being able to actually use Superman.

Thats true, but it seems all these new DC tv shows and movies are now going for a darker setting. Smallville was way more light hearted and tried to appeal to a younger audience with all the family value themes they were always trying to hit on.

A darker Smallville could be way cooler if for some reason they ever decide to reboot it or something. It could even be pretty cool if they had Tom Welling make an appearance on Arrow as Clark or something. But I know that's a stretch.

Evo X

What would your reaction be if Tom Welling made a guest appearance on this show as The Red Blue Blur?

EDIT: Damn, I wrote the original post before yours, but had another tab open and forgot to submit it for a while. lol.

Thats true, but it seems all these new DC tv shows and movies are now going for a darker setting. Smallville was way more light hearted and tried to appeal to a younger audience with all the family value themes they were always trying to hit on.

A darker Smallville could be way cooler if for some reason they ever decide to reboot it or something. It could even be pretty cool if they had Tom Welling make an appearance on Arrow as Clark or something. But I know that's a stretch.

ReiGun

Ehhh..."dark and grits" is overrated. Especially for a character like Superman. Light hearted and family friendly is his wheelhouse.* Let him stay in his lane. :p

Smallville's biggest problems were the monster of the week format and running for far longer than it should have. Not being able to use Superman was fine in the beginning because it was supposed to be a Superboy show in the beginning, but it ran too long and that concept just wasn't meant to sustain a ten season show. Getting its budget cut after the CW merger certainly didn't help, especially in the latter seasons when they starting doing things like the Justice League and Doomsday.

Arrow has much stronger writing even in its more soap opera moments** and a concept that's built to last however long the show is on the air. It also helps that WB/DC have lightened up on those silly embargos, giving the writers more unhindered access to the DCU and thus more freedom in what they can do.

*Yes, I am fully aware that darker Superman stories have been written, and I'll admit some are even good. But in general, I feel Superman is at his best when the stories lean lighter and more optimistic in tone.

**Though, I don't think the soap opera stuff is as much of a problem as others seem to. Lord knows the comics haven't shied away from soapy waters in the past. Have you read the X-Men? Even Green Arrow himself has had storylines about love affairs and secret children. Real "Days of Our Lives" type shit. Soap can be fun too if you write it properly.

yooo that prison break was so stupid haha. dumbass guard, he deserved his end.

also moira running for mayor in a city where she was on trial for murdering 500 people is ridiculous, no matter how many times walter tried to explain it.

oliver let roy get away with too much, he should have said i'm not training you unless you follow my instructions. but still i liked it. the future is promising with this team but i hope oliver's still the big dog.

Tugatrix

This tv show never stop, now they bring
suicide squad
? they have so many arc stories they can explore, make the filler squeme unnecessary

Khezu

I would love a plot arc where Ollie temporarily joins the league, maybe team up to take a really evil group down or something. Just would be cool to see the inner workings of the league in this show.

Wonder how long until Roy gets his own super suit.

Clevinger

- Moira running for mayor is straight up the dumbest thing this show has done and must be the dumbest plotline of any show in recent memory I can think of.
- Laurel...
- Roy keeping everything from Thea is gonna get old quick
- The Ollie/Roy reveal was done really well
- I repeat my belief that Diggle's days are numbered, unfortunately. If not this season then early next season.

family friendly - can a 12 year old and 9 year old watch it? Always on the look out for good family TV

The main character is an insane vigilante who kills like 50 people in the first season. Lotta neck snaps and such. Not anything worse than I watched when I was 12, but it's up to you.

Khezu

Would be hilarious if she won.

One candidate is a super villain and the other is a pawn of super villain(and also probably secretly a super villain herself)

Poor star city.

DieH@rd

Banned
Would be hilarious if she won.

One candidate is a super villain and the other is a pawn of super villain(and also probably secretly a super villain herself)

Poor star city.

She will win because Arrow will showcase true Brother Blood to the public just before voting.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, can't believe I missed that she's actually called Amanda Waller.

EDIT: And great episode btw, this season has seriously stepped things up.

grimmiq

For those who knows the lore, does Moira ever find out that Oliver is Arrow?

According to the dc wiki, she was eaten by Lions along with Robert..

I don't know how she hasn't figured it out though..It was a while ago, but wouldn't she have put 2 and 2 together when he confronted her about the undertaking?

ReiGun

For those who knows the lore, does Moira ever find out that Oliver is Arrow?

In the traditional lore, Moira is dead long before Ollie becomes Green Arrow. lol In the New 52, Ollie's first act after returning home from the island is rescue her Killer Moth after a massive blackout and storm has her trapped in Gotham. He reveals himself to her, so assuming she's still alive, she knows.

This show is the most her character has ever been developed.

RS4-

- Moira running for mayor is straight up the dumbest thing this show has done and must be the dumbest plotline of any show in recent memory I can think of.

The Following is still on and had no right to get a second season or even finish the first.

Tugatrix

Laurel was looking fine this week. Kinda cute, even.

blasphemy.gif

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I wonder what they'll do with Markovia and the Suicide Squad.

Markovia? Probably nothing. Just a cute mention.

But Suicide Squad? They could use them any number of ways. Maybe even a two-part crossover between Arrow and Flash. That'd be pretty awesome.

Shahadan

The fact that her trial ended with a not guilty verdict and people just accepted that was fucking dumb too. People wanted her dead for what she had done and just said "well, ok, I trust in our justice system!"

Rich evil lady acquitted after having participated in the leveling of half the city and the death of hundreds? Should have been riots and snipers everywhere.

Goddamn, they have the whole Spartacus cast now. lol

That's what I said. Arrow is becoming a Spartacus reunion

spar.jpg

and
130850100-10142917.jpg

They were great actor(esses) in Spartacus. Please bring in more.

So I guess we finally know why Michael Jai White didn't reprise his role as Jax in the Mortal Kombat live action series. Gonna be Bronze Tiger for the foreseeable future.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm going to laugh my ass off when
Ollie takes off his mask and Roy is shocked, SHOCKED by the revelation.

Vevch.gif

Enjoyable episode as always, although not without niggles. First things first, the way bronze tiger esscaped out of prison was fucking ridiculous (what with the guard giving a career criminal the shoulder while checking THE DEAD PERSON ON THE FLOOR) and so was Moira runing for major. That was some pretty vile Smallville BS.

On the plus side, the Arrow universe keeps expanding at quick pace with the Suicide Squad and Thea was looking mighty fiiiiiiiiiiiiiine in that club garb. Yis.

PS: I'm starting to believe that one day drunk Katie Cassidy entered the writing room at night, hoisted her skirt and took a smelly, moist, large ladyshit on the writer's table. And then she passed out. There's no other explanation for this.

Edit: Katrina Law(d) playing
Nyssa pretty much ensures that Summer Glau is not Talia al Ghul.

DieH@rd

Banned
Chances of
River Song
dying in the next episode? Promo hyped up
Nyssa
as incredible evil badass, someone will have to die...

dcelone53

Neo Member
I love the small nuances like Amanda Waller, Ivo and others that make the 12 year old reading comics smile i used to be. Then I have to explain to my girlfriend how it all connects to other DC charactors.

Clevinger

ratings are in

it got a 1.0, up from last week

that's good, btw

PS: I'm starting to belive that one day drunk Katie Cassidy entered the writing room at night, hoisted her skirt and took a smelly, moist, large ladyshit on the writer's table. And then she passed out. There's no other explanation for this.

Others are starting to come around to me and NotTheGuy's theory.

I'm starting to think the showrunner lied and that they are writing her off. There was that odd scene last week where there was a scene dedicated to Sara saying Laurel was a bitch in the past. There was no point to that except making Sara look better and Laurel look worse. Then this week there was the scene at the bar where Laurel starts shitting on Felicity. Like, you can have a character hit bottom without making them completely unlikeable like this. And having her attack the fan favorite character is just so weird. It's like they want the audience to hate her.

Tabby

Chances of
River Song
dying in the next episode? Promo hyped up
Nyssa
as incredible evil badass, someone will have to die...
Yeah I get the idea that mama Lance is going to die, if not her then someone's dying.
Nyssa looks badass.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Great episode, can't wait for next week. The only plotline I absolutely hated was Moira running for mayor, as others have pointed out it's just completely stupid and unbelievable--obviously forced as Moira's story has been stuck in limbo since she escaped prison.

Just need to get Gannincus and Spartacus himself in on this reunion, although they may steal the spotlight from Amell, and Roy would just be invisible.

I have to go do some things, so quick post, but:

My God, an unbelievable amount of people know Oliver is the Arrow:

Diggle
Felicity
Huntress
Sara Lance
Quentin Lance (come on, he knows!)
Roy
Barry
Deadshot
His Russian mob buddy probably knows and doesn't care
Vertigo (RIP in peace)
Slade
Amanda Waller
Diggle's girlfriend/ex-wife?

Jesus.

Also, Moira running for mayor? I guffawed. GUFFAWED. My God. Man, I was hoping Walter was coming back for a sexy reunion with Moira.

ALSO

What the fuck. At there being an earthquake machine at Barrowmerlyn's house? So after the revelations that Merlyn was an insane terrorist that blew up the slums of the city with an earthquake machine, no one, no cop or federal agent or citizen or mayor or superhero thought to go check out Merlyn's house to see if he had any other weird shit or evidence there?

Also, Roy staring right in Oliver's face and not realizing it was him even with the mask was hilarious, made doubly hilarious with the reveal at the end.

I did think Oliver's "We're gonna take the freighter" was badass.

Previews ensure next episode will be a glorious battle with sexy results.

You know that's right.

Smallville was exactly what I had in mind during the Moira subplot. I like the character and I think she needs more screen time but this plot line and Walter's participation in it is straight garbage. I guess the actress requested more to do and the writers came up with this?

I think Laurel's goose is just about cooked. They're shitting on her way too much for those rumors about her not to be true.

Tabby

ratings are in

it got a 1.0, up from last week

that's good, btw

I'm starting to think the showrunner lied and that they are writing her off. There was that odd scene last week where there was a scene dedicated to Sara saying Laurel was a bitch in the past. There was no point to that except making Sara look better and Laurel look worse. Then this week there was the scene at the bar where Laurel starts shitting on Felicity. Like, you can have a character hit bottom without making them completely unlikeable like this. And having her attack the fan favorite character is just so weird. It's like they want the audience to hate her.
I get that feeling to.
At this point I'm just not sure how they could redeem her character.
Even though she's Ollie's wife in the comics I don't see it happening here, she's messed up so many times.

Get hype people. Amell is hyping next week: He usually delivers on his hype.
Like we didn't already know it was going to be good :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom