• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
So- with Moira
dead
and Blood about to
march an army of super soldiers dressed like her killer onto the streets of Starling City
, who's going to be Mayor?

Mayor Oliver?

Mayor Chesthair?

tariniel

Last nights episode made me cry like a fucking baby at the end. The rest of the episode leading to that moment was kinda meh I thought, but god damn that surprised me.

You could see tears on Slade's face several times during that scene
, which was a really nice touch and makes me feel bad for him as well.

Chairhome

So the preview for the next ep looks like Dark Knight Rises to me, haha. Anyone else notice
Isabel in deathstroke gear? Is she supposed to be like Ravager in this universe? When she first revealed herself as team Deathstroke, I got excited for a second thinking she was Ravager already

comment_gcgjmowwuydtkj0u1j.gif

I normally write a list of what I loved and didn't love about the episode.

Can't today.

- After these past couple episodes I'm more than a little tempted to write a "Willa Holland's conversations with the Arrow Writers" a la my Laurel piece."

Write one! And update the Laurel one!

Joni

I have no doubt Marvel Studios would have started with those guys. But it ain't 2006 no more. Marvel proved you don't need to build a viable cinematic universe by staying with the big guns. If you get it right, second stringers like Iron Man can rule the box office and become just as important and viable as Spiderman or Wolverine.
It is not 2006 anymore. That is true. Warner Bros won't be judged by 2006 standards. They will be judged by 2014 standards, a time the Marvel Movie Universe exists. Look at last year, Man of Steel is considered a flop because it didn't do Avengers numbers, because it isn't Justice League. They could start with a smaller hero, but it won't be compared to the original Iron Man. It will be judged by current standards. That is why they need to come out the door swinging with actual big names. They don't have time to let a hero grow.

They're still afraid of characters who aren't icons so they're stuck perpetually rebooting Batman and Superman while Marvel brings Rocket fucking Raccoon to the big screen. It's a lack of vision and a lack of belief in their characters. If WB believed in the Green Arrow, they would have made Escape from Supermax, and made him a big time character. Instead he's been relegated to the CW. While I love the show, Warners could be doing so much more with Ollie.
They relegated Superman to The CW while still making Superman Returns. They have made Jonah Hex, they have made Green Lantern, they have made Watchmen, they have made V for Vendetta. These aren't even Iron Man level heroes, these are even smaller. Iron Man at least had that awful, awful cartoon. You can blame them for not getting a movie universe out there, but they couldn't with Nolan. I can't blame them for starting off their universe based around Batman and Superman when it is clear they are going up against the Avengers, and that will be their opponent, not some 2008 level Iron Man movie that started off the universe. If The Avengers didn't exist, they could take it slow. Iron Man 1 & 2 were the only big hits, they can't now.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So the preview for the next ep looks like Dark Knight Rises to me, haha. Anyone else notice
Isabel in deathstroke gear? Is she supposed to be like Ravager in this universe? When she first revealed herself as team Deathstroke, I got excited for a second thinking she was Ravager already

She is

There are quite a few properties that DC made into movies that I wasn't even aware were DC properties. Such as V for Vendetta, Jonah Hex & Constantine. That's not even to mention TV shows like Human Target and however many others they have made I and many others are still not aware of (some upcoming ones being things like iZombie, Sandman the one where guy takes a pill and is super for an hour, and last but not least.... Constantine).

When I think DC Superhero's those are not the type of movies I was thinking of. It would actually be kinda weird to see all those properties connected.

I think it would do DC good if WB allowed them to spin off their own Production studio for Movies and TV so that they can do their own budgeting & scheduling independent of the other WB studios. This will allow them a little more freedom with how to structure a unified live action presence if that is their goal.

I think it would be nice if Arrowverse tied into MoS/2
maybe end of season 3 could take place during MoS and s4 (& s2 of The Flash) leads right into MoS 2.

wildfire

Banned
They shouldn't because too many aspects of Green Arrow overlap with Batman. That's part of the reason why I said he should replace him. A merger is just a half assed idea that will annoy various people who don't follow comics closely.

I have no doubt Marvel Studios would have started with those guys. But it ain't 2006 no more. Marvel proved you don't need to build a viable cinematic universe by staying with the big guns. If you get it right, second stringers like Iron Man can rule the box office and become just as important and viable as Spiderman or Wolverine.

Unfortunately Warner Bros. haven't learned this lesson very well.

They're still afraid of characters who aren't icons so they're stuck perpetually rebooting Batman and Superman while Marvel brings Rocket fucking Raccoon to the big screen. It's a lack of vision and a lack of belief in their characters. If WB believed in the Green Arrow, they would have made Escape from Supermax, and made him a big time character. Instead he's been relegated to the CW. While I love the show, Warners could be doing so much more with Ollie.

Marvel's choices weren't as high-risk as they might seem.

If you asked Toy Biz in the pre-MCU days, they'd tell you the three best selling characters in their Marvel Legends line were Iron Man, Wolverine, and Ghost Rider (Spidey had his own line at the time.) While the character may not have been as big a name as Batman or Spider-Man, they at least knew that Iron Man's armor was extremely marketable. The other year-one MCU title was the Hulk, which wasn't a difficult sell. The biggest risk in Phase 1 was probably Thor.

Guardians is the big experiment that would prove that the cinematic universe is a king maker. We've seen small signs with fan-favorite ensemble cast members like Black Widow and Hawkeye suddenly gaining the ability to headline and maintain their own comics in the wake of Avengers.

If Guardians takes off, it means that Marvel can take any critically loved but lesser known character and bring them to the mainstream.

If WB believed in the Green Arrow, they would have made Escape from Supermax, and made him a big time character. Instead he's been relegated to the CW. While I love the show, Warners could be doing so much more with Ollie.
Green Arrow isn't something worth having much faith in, he is basically a much lower rate Batman and as even Arrow shows he has a single B level villain to himself.
Also too much crossover with Batman to make an average Green Arrow movie worth it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Good news is that Arrow showrunners have still managed to craft a show that does has a chance of becoming part of WB's cinematic universe. Nothing was shown or said that could dramatically reduce chances of Ammel becoming official Green Arrow. Sure they could wait it out, introduce him in the film in 4 years, but chances are still active.

The most damaging thing showrunners did was casting of Flash. The very thing that they did that could eject entire Arrow-verse outside cinematic universe.

Kevin

Considering Arrow is better then so many DC movie attempts, it would be lame NOT to make Him the official Green Arrow in the movies.

Rico

Holy frak! Last night's episode was crazy!! Oliver is getting put through the ringer. Slade needs to go down - hard!

Tabby

Episode description for episode 23
"Unthinkable"
OLIVER MUST DECIDE ONCE AND FOR ALL IF HE’S A KILLER OR A HERO — Slade moves forward with his plan to kill one more person in Oliver’s life. While Oliver has fought all year to be more than the killer he once was, when Slade kidnaps someone close to Oliver’s heart, Oliver is pushed to the edge and realizes sometimes it takes doing the unthinkable to stop the monster. Meanwhile, Diggle takes on Amanda Waller with a little help from some friends, and Thea turns to Roy in her time of need. John Behring directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti and teleplay by Marc Guggenheim & Andrew Kreisberg (#223).

Volotaire

"Unthinkable"
OLIVER MUST DECIDE ONCE AND FOR ALL IF HE’S A KILLER OR A HERO — Slade moves forward with his plan to kill one more person in Oliver’s life. While Oliver has fought all year to be more than the killer he once was, when Slade kidnaps someone close to Oliver’s heart, Oliver is pushed to the edge and realizes sometimes it takes doing the unthinkable to stop the monster. Meanwhile, Diggle takes on Amanda Waller with a little help from some friends, and Thea turns to Roy in her time of need. John Behring directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti and teleplay by Marc Guggenheim & Andrew Kreisberg (#223).

Oh boy. It looks like it is Laurel or Sara. And why is Diggle taking on Amanda? Suicide Squad helping Oliver and Co. dispute?

ReiGun

Good news is that Arrow showrunners have still managed to craft a show that does has a chance of becoming part of WB's cinematic universe. Nothing was shown or said that could dramatically reduce chances of Ammel becoming official Green Arrow. Sure they could wait it out, introduce him in the film in 4 years, but chances are still active.

The most damaging thing showrunners did was casting of Flash. The very thing that they did that could eject entire Arrow-verse outside cinematic universe.

I really do think they're gonna be watching Flash to see how it does. With enough positive reaction, Grant might become the official movie Flash.

Clevinger

Write one! And update the Laurel one!

All for you, NotTheGuy: “Willa Holland's conversations with the Arrow Writers”

Arrow Writers: Willa, it's so nice to meet you. Your character is one of the most exciting in Arrow. She is Thea Dearden Queen, AKA Speedy. She's a very loose take on Kevin Smith's Speedy, Mia Dearden, who was Green Arrow's sidekick.

Willa: Oh, wow, the hero's sidekick. That sounds awesome.

Arrow Writers: It does, doesn't it? Well, in this show she's a self-centered, bratty teenager who has nothing to do with the main plot unless she's kidnapped.

Willa: ...I thought...

Arrow Writers: Don't worry. We throw in hints about Speedy becoming Oliver's sidekick, with a bunch of archery trophies in your room and dialogue throughout the series about what a stellar aim you have.

Willa: OK, cool. Because for a minute...

Arrow Writers: As of now in our two season plan, none of that actually comes into play.

Willa: …

Arrow Writers: But no worries. We have great stories planned for you. Listen to this. When your brother comes home full of scars and PTSD after being stranded on a hellish island for five years, you're angry and bratty with him about “leaving” you alone. You somehow manage to turn his tragedy into yours. In true Speedy fashion, you have a drug addiction arc for a little while, getting pulled over for DUIs and such. None of this really amounts to anything except filler for Oliver to deal with. Doesn't that sound cool?

Willa: No... No, it doesn't. What's wrong with you?

Arrow Writers: You also fantasize about and kiss your brother.

Willa: I do what now?

Arrow Writers: Uh, you kiss your brother's friend. That's it. You kiss your brother's friend.

-later in the season-

Arrow Writers: Oh, Willa, by the way, you know that stuff about a sidekick? Well, we kinda figured that out. Thea becomes so important with it.

Willa: Yes! Here we go!

Arrow Writers: We introduce ANOTHER character, this guy named Roy who Thea starts to date. And Thea is used almost exclusively as a bridge to get him to be Oliver's sidekick. And then most of your stories from then on are all about Roy and your super interesting relationship with him. Your big moment in the finale is an in-show "Don't text and drive" ad.

Willa: ...oh my gooooooooooood.

-season 2-

Arrow Writers: OK, Willa, we got a lot of complaints about your character last season. We were shocked to find out that she was the least popular character in the whole show.

Willa: Who could have guessed that...

Arrow Writers: So we're going to make some big adjustments. It's a new day for Thea.

Willa: OK. Let's do this.

Arrow Writers: When season 2 starts, Thea is much more mature. She reconciles with her mother. She's cool with her brother. She's in an OK relationship. She works at her brother's bar. She becomes a positive side character.

Willa: Nice. It's no sidekick, but it's no “worst character on the show” either. I'll take it.

Arrow Writers: We have a big surprise too. Ready? In episode 7 we reveal that Thea is actually Malcolm Merlyn's daughter, and that Malcolm is still alive and wants a relationship with her!

Willa: Whoa! That could lead to some huge stuff.

Arrow Writers: Yup! And then for the next 11 episodes we barely do anything with it. You just deal with Roy relationship stuff.

Willa: ...

Arrow Writers: Then late in the season you go back to the self-centered, bratty Thea that everyone hates after she finds out she's Merlyn's kid. She starts talking about “her bar” to Oliver, even though it's Oliver's bar and he just lets her work there. She hates her mother again right up until she's killed by the villain. We also contrive it so that it ends up being Thea's fault that the Queen fortune is lost because, in classic bratty fashion, Thea refuses to sign a paper that would transfer the money to her and her family.

Willa: I am speechless... Just... What...

Arrow Writers: Not to brag, but we impress ourselves too sometimes.

Willa: So, uh, that Merlyn stuff. What are you going to do with that?

Arrow Writers: You'll find out soon enough. It's gonna be great!

Willa: Yeah... I bet...

For comparison's sake, here's how I imagine “Caity Lotz' conversations with the Arrow Writers.”

Arrow Writers: Caity, we're so excited about your character. You're playing Black Canary and it's a huge, meaty role. In this show she's pretty much a female version of the main character, so the audience will love her. You get tons of screen time, being heavily involved in the present day and flashback stories.

Caity: Cool. Sounds great.

-new script comes in-

Arrow Writers: In this episode you kick loads of ass.

-new script comes in-

-new script comes in-

Tugatrix

For comparison's sake, here's how I imagine “Caity Lotz' conversations with the Arrow Writers.”

giphy.gif

And that I imagine is what really happens, I guess Caity and the writers also have many talks about the canary suit

Blader

"Unthinkable"

The way this is written makes it pretty clear that
Oliver won't kill Slade. Hopefully Malcolm will get the job done.

"Unthinkable"

Also, characters for actors who have been spotted on set include:
Lyla, Nyssa, Shado, and Merlyn

Troidal

Moira probably would have known many secrets including the Undertaking and what her husband was doing. Did they completely drop the story arc on the father's notebook, crossing out people's name in that list, etc? This season has become more comic bookey and they sort of just left that story arc hanging...

Moira probably would have known many secrets including the Undertaking and what her husband was doing. Did they completely drop the story arc on the father's notebook, crossing out people's name in that list, etc? This season has become more comic bookey and they sort of just left that story arc hanging...

That list was leading up to the earthquake machine in season one. Ollie scrap the list when he realized that if he stopped that machine that would take care of the list as a whole.

Wiktor

Unfortunately Warner Bros. haven't learned this lesson very well.

The difference is Warner Bros actually makes more than superhero movies. Expecting them to double down as heavy on them as Marvel just doesn't make any sense. Heck, unlike Marvel, DC actually has plenty of non superhero comics that they want to adapt.
DC will never make as many superhero movies as Marvel. Especially the big tentpole ones. At most we can hope they will realize their annouced plans and make lots of smaller movies based on less popular characters like Deathstroke that will be sprinkled among big movies with Batman, Supes, Justice League and maybe Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. Even in this case I doubt very much anyone outside of Batman and Supes will be regularly gettng their standalone flicks. Expecting them to follow the animation path is much more likely, so we'll see much more random team ups and buddy movies instead of clockwork-like Marvel aproach of several heroes getting their own movie one by one and then Avengers.

And honestly, Escape from Supermax wouldn't really work as a movie. People are loosing their shit over having merely three villains in Amazing Spiderman 2. I love this pitch, but it would work much better with established villains. So either make it the arc of last season of Arrow, or after Arrow is over make a movie with Oliver fighting villains that appeared in other DC movies.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs

canary1sblm0.gif

This is so great. I can picture it happening too. Poor Willa, her character will have to be someone else. Something Slurred.

JDSN

Banned
HOLY SHIT, just cancel all DC movie plans and turn CW into DC Network, this people know what they are doing and I never been an adaptation so great since The Incredible Hulk.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Incredibly episode. I was guessing that Moira had to go sooner than later, but I wasn't expecing it to happeng in such a way. Also, MALCOLM WHAT? The next episode looks insane. Going by the people seen at the cast
plus Ravager
bodies are going to get dropped. Big time.

Also, Roy keeps being awful. He needs one in the back of the head.

Roy needs to stay alive long enough to kill Thea in a fit of rage.

You shut your whore mouth. Willa Holland acted her knickers off in that final scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom