• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

Better hope Flash checks his voicemail every hour, even when he's fighting his own Villains!
See..that's how convoluted the explanations need to get to justify it. He doesn't have any kind of communicator, he's fighting villains every single hour of every single day, or at the very least he's fighting them precisely in the exact moments Oliver would need to call. And what's more there's can be no threat that's known many hours or even days before it happens, because that would make the whole excuse fall apart.

Arrow has different strengths. Flash's speed doesn't make up for his lack of combat knowledge, lack of strength, lack of experience dealing with villains, completely different thought process, and the lack of a team at his disposal that increases knowledge and skill. I mean how exactly would Flash deal with the huge villain that Arrow just fought? And if that villain were to be guarding a huge bomb that could take out half the city?
Smash him in the head with a pipe? Shoot him in knee caps? It's not like Grundy would be able to ever catch him anyway.
Also..team knowledge? He's a CSI nerd. Basically Felicity with superpowers. With Batman it's at least it's explained that he's a genius and can outhink heroes like Flash of Superman. Hence he's still usefull. Can't say the same about Oliver.

It's not redundant. You're just nitpicking. .
No, I'm not nitpicking. I just don't accept the "screw logic, it's superhero story". Arrow so far has been very good in keeping the story as logical as possible giving it's genre. Far more than Nolan managed to. So I will be very dissapointed if they make Oliver mysteriously forget Flash's existence whenever it will be convenient for the writers.

As a whole I think introduction of Flash will cheapen the whole universe, but I can live with that if they writers will go along with it, instead of acting like nothing really happened for most episodes. I need to see justifications why Flash isn't involved in next threat of huge proportions and they need to be good ones

See..that's how convoluted the explanations need to get to justify it. He doesn't have any kind of communicator, he's fighting villains every single hour of every single day, or at the very least he's fighting them precisely in the exact moments Oliver would need to call. And what's more there's can be no threat that's known many hours or even days before it happens, because that would make the whole excuse fall apart.

He doesn't need to be busy every hour of every day. At any given moment of any given day he can be busy. Can't depend on Flash to always be there. That's the point.

Smash him in the head with a pipe? Shoot him in knee caps? It's not like Grundy would be able to ever catch him anyway.
Also..team knowledge? He's a CSI nerd. Basically Felicity with superpowers. With Batman it's at least it's explained that he's a genius and can outhink heroes like Flash of Superman. Hence he's still usefull. Can't say the same about Oliver.

Flash still doesn't have increased strength so how damaging is that pipe when wielded by a 145lbs CSI tech? And Flash uses guns now? Grundy wouldn't need to catch Flash, just defend the bomb so Flash can't disarm it. Not to mention, it's a bomb, so unless Flash has bomb disarming knowledge.... And he's not Felicity with super speed. Felicity is a tech wizard. Barry's knowledge covers Forensics and he seems to have a pretty decent detective mind. Their skill sets don't overlap in any major way. He also still lacks the knowledge of Ollie and Diggle in terms of combat and tactics.

No, I'm not nitpicking. I just don't accept the "screw logic, it's superhero story". Arrow so far has been very good in keeping the story as logical as possible giving it's genre. Far more than Nolan managed to. So I will be very dissapointed if they make Oliver mysteriously forget Flash's existence whenever it will be convenient for the writers.

As a whole I think introduction of Flash will cheapen the whole universe, but I can live with that if they writers will go along with it, instead of acting like nothing really happened for most episodes. If need to see justifications why Flash isn't involved with each case where he would be usefull and they need to be good ones

No, you're being selectively nitpicky. Especially when you just suggested that Flash should use a gun while it's perfectly acceptable to you that Arrow doesn't choose to use one facing the same villain.

I mean re-read this debate as it's unfolded in the thread. It's the epitome of the stereotypical comic "geeks" arguing over which hero is more powerful. And these types of debates only occur when people are selectively nitpicking. The world is the world and it operates on it's own rules.

Trying to posit that Flash makes Arrow obsolete doesn't work simply because the rules of the world already mean that it doesn't. Accept it or don't but don't selectively choose.

Zero315

Banned
Buffy comparison us utterly broken, because Flash could run from Central to Starling in less than an hour. While Buffy wouldn't be able to comme immiedietely if called. What's more, Buffy power level was around the same as Angel more or less. There's nothing that Angel couldn't handle with his team that Buffy alone had. With Arrow/Flash it's completely different. One is regular guy, the other one is a god. Any opponent Olie faces Flash can dismantle without any effort.

There's more than enough time for Angel to call Buffy and have her arrive before the events at the end of season five, as well as the fact that after the events of Buffy season seven there are literally hundreds of slayers.

I hope writers will take that into consideration instead of deciding they can get away with dumb things because they're telling a superhero story. In comicbooks writers regularly ignore existence of other superheroes whever it suits them. But this won't work in a live action show. Everytime there needs to be good explanation why Flash isn't called for massive threat. Either Oliver getting surprised by size of the threat or not getting advance warning about it.

And if they ever will want to do another mass extinction story they better synchronize it with Flash spin-off to aim the threat at the moment where Flash will be truly indisposed and then make Oliver try to contact him and fail instead of pretending the demigod just doesn't exist.

The Doctor didn't stop the bombing of Cardiff at the end of the second season of Torchwood, nor did he stop the events of Children of Earth or (shudder) Miracle Day, and this is a character who can be everywhere at once.

As a whole I think introduction of Flash will cheapen the whole universe, but I can live with that if they writers will go along with it, instead of acting like nothing really happened for most episodes. I need to see justifications why Flash isn't involved in next threat of huge proportions and they need to be good ones

You are nitpicking, Flash is off doing his own thing. There, that's all the justification you need. Flash isn't omnipresent, nor is he clairvoyant or telepathic. I'm pretty sure he'll be dealing with threats of huge proportions of his own.

Just have Barry get hit on the head in this week's episode and forget he met Arrow. Then he can walk into the particle accelerator and become the super powered saviour of his own city without having to worry about crossover logic.

lol

studyguy

Started watching Arrow on Netflix, not normally into these superhero shows, but this is damn awesome. 1/2 way through it so far and excited for the 2nd season. Trying hard to not look at most of this thread.

DieH@rd

Banned
Started watching Arrow on Netflix, not normally into these superhero shows, but this is damn awesome. 1/2 way through it so far and excited for the 2nd season. Trying hard to not look at most of this thread.

You are now entering the period of "Tommy turmoil". Prepare yourself for few romantic swerves and epic last few episodes.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I was just watching Taken for the first time in years and discovered that Laurel is one of the girls that gets kidnapped. Liam Neeson is on the hunt to get his daughter back and naturally gives no fucks about Laurel. Just like everybody else it seems.

Man that stunt with Oli getting punched out of the moving truck on its door was great.

I'm still trying to figure out how they did it. I think Arrow would be strapped to the door before falling out. There's no way you'd be able to stay on it otherwise.

Having the door scrape the ground is simple if you just drag it with cables and then digitally remove them. But still looks cool as hell.

Ripclawe

Banned
I'm still trying to figure out how they did it. I think Arrow would be strapped to the door before falling out. There's no way you'd be able to stay on it otherwise.

Having the door scrape the ground is simple if you just drag it with cables and then digitally remove them. But still looks cool as hell.
I am thinking either green screen or setting it up with a special ramp on that side where the door lands, then some quick editing for the landing on the road and the slide.

ibmbx3ScvcX5J8.gif

Jotaka

I like Arrow very much but I kinda worried about the inclusion of super power beings like The Flash in the mix... it will lose the appeal to me :*(

Tabby

I am thinking either green screen or setting it up with a special ramp on that side where the door lands, then some quick editing for the landing on the road and the slide.

ibmbx3ScvcX5J8.gif

Maybe they're doing it for reals.
Amell is a daredevil. Does his own stunts.

Sulik2

yay! @ gif usage.

cringe @ baricity.

Great dresses for the female cast though. Oh, and that 'blur' Barry mentions is a direct reference to
the anti-flash
, correct?

They are already planting the seeds for being able to a flashpoint miniseries and relaunch their TV DCU when it starts getting stale.

My guess is:

Inside the truck is a green screen. The door was probably added in post.

The fall with the door is likely sped up in post. The "door" is likely a pad.

The slide on the door is a stuntman riding on a door rigged with skateboard wheels, likely on a track and being pulled. The sparks are added post, and the cable is removed.

Just started wondering about this,
if Nightwing does show up how in the world are they going to do his costume on their budget?
they just can't do a leather bodysuit for him like Ollie, Huntress and Canary

motocross gear is the only thing I could picture.

Just started wondering about this,
if Nightwing does show up how in the world are they going to do his costume on their budget?
they just can't do a leather bodysuit for him like Ollie, Huntress and Canary

motocross gear is the only thing I could picture.

Body armor that's Tron-esque?

Gotta be some sort of flexible body armor. The Flash needs a Tron-esque suit.

Finally saw last week's episode. Got introduction of super strength without being phony powers. I like the stunts in the warehouse fight scenes

PS: felicty looks hawt in the party scene

Body armor that's Tron-esque?

Gotta be some sort of flexible body armor. The Flash needs a Tron-esque suit.

Flash's costume shouldn't be a problem, it would be a costume for potentially a main character of a series
and would appear in every single episode and maybe multiple seasons.
the high one time cost should be worth it if the show doesn't tank.

Nightwing's on the other hand, won't have any kind of decent budget on that costume.
rubber suits, tron suits etc are too expensive for a few episode support character

only two options I see for him are
1. some kinda armor(shin & forearm guards, chest) bashed together
2. try to salvage a Robin costume from B&R(worked for Batgirl on Birds of Prey)

Effect

So I was just watching Taken for the first time in years and discovered that Laurel is one of the girls that gets kidnapped. Liam Neeson is on the hunt to get his daughter back and naturally gives no fucks about Laurel. Just like everybody else it seems.

The lack of follow up on her character in Taken is perhaps my biggest issue with that movie. I love it but that part is a huge oversight.

studyguy

For some reason, thought this show's season 1 was only like 12 episodes. On like ep 7, just introduced the Huntress? Oddest italian mafia ever... I thought the actress was Russian to begin with for some odd reason.

Anyhow, good stuff

Wiktor

The lack of follow up on her character in Taken is perhaps my biggest issue with that movie. I love it but that part is a huge oversight.

What do you mean lack of follow up? He found her dead and just moved on.

I kind of liked it and it was in character. Neeson didn't give a fuck about justice or other innocent people. He just wanted to get his daughter back. If he would be forced to kill that friend he would do it without blinking. He did put a bullet in that poor wife after all.

rexor0717

- EW with a sneak peek at tomorrow's episode (please spoiler tag any discussion)

Roy plz.

I'm really nervous about how they are going to handle super speed. They made the super strength cool, but speed is an entirely different matter. If they do it the way Man of Steel did it, then I'll be happy.

I love reading about Arrow. This show is one of those shows where it might not be one of the best, but its one of the most entertaining.

Arrow has always struggled with thematically linking its weekly island flashbacks to the action happening in the present, but by introducing a new villain (Dylan Neal, who’s having a blast) whose secret experiments connect to the new threat of super powered thugs in the present, nearly all of these problems have been solved.

This is what I like the most, that the island flashbacks have a relationship to the present, which increases the importance of both. You could watch season 1 and tune out during the flashbacks, and your experience of the present day story wouldn't change.

In season 2 it's all tied together and the storylines rely on each other to get the most out of them. I hope they keep doing this for future seasons, although it is going to be uncanny when every major villain that appears in Starling City has some far-fetched connection to Oliver's history.

Speaking of which, it would be really interesting to see what the show would be like if it were edited into chronological order.

NoTacos

I approve of Barry Allen's casting. The guy lacks physical strength but his mental capacity is astonishing.

Also, nice reference
to the chem bath that turns him into the flash :) had the biggest smile on my face.

Tabby

I approve of Barry Allen's casting. The guy lacks physical strength but his mental capacity is astonishing.

Also, nice reference
to the chem bath that turns him into the flash :) had the biggest smile on my face.

My grin came when
they referenced Zoom.
Can't wait for tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom