• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I still maintain that the only way they can keep Laurel alive is offing Awesome Black Canary and making her take her sister's mantle.

Which would suck, mind you, because Lotz is doing a great job with the character and she can actually kick plenty of ass.

DieH@rd

Banned
Baseless speculation time: what if the particle accelerator isn't replacing the electrochemical accident that created flash? I could see it being a less goofy alternative to the Cosmic Treadmill, or even as a power source for Zoom.

Its gonna be chemicals + lightning + particle accelerator. :)

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I still maintain that the only way they can keep Laurel alive is offing Awesome Black Canary and making her take her sister's mantle.

Which would suck, mind you, because Lotz is doing a great job with the character and she can actually kick plenty of ass.

I hope to god they don't touch my Sarah. She's such a badass.

Tugatrix

Her fate is written.

Unfortunately.

iy9j7mAd1B5EK.gif

Clevinger

So do we know for sure if Barry Allen gets any powers next week? I thought that was for later on.

I think he gets zapped with radioactive lightning next week, then the backdoor pilot was supposed to be him as a costumed superhero in his own city. So I think he'll prolly just be zapped, maybe use his new powers a bit to save Oliver while not wearing a costume, and then fuck off to his own show for next year.

I think he gets zapped with radioactive lightning next week, then the backdoor pilot was supposed to be him as a costumed superhero in his own city. So I think he'll prolly just be zapped, maybe use his new powers a bit to save Oliver while not wearing a costume, and then fuck off to his own show for next year.
I don't think anyone still uses radioactive origins nowadays. But I get you.

I'm wondering how they'll toss the particle accelerator in there. I mean, the just happen to wind up at a research lab, and he happens to get dowsed with chemicals AND struck by lightning AND get his molecules rejiggered with a particle accelerator? Let's go full crazy and have him get dosed with MIRAKARU at the same time.

V_Arnold

NotTheGuyYouKill: Stop calling it MIRAKARU, it is MIRA-KU-RU, a phonetical miracle :p

I'm wondering how they'll toss the particle accelerator in there. I mean, the just happen to wind up at a research lab, and he happens to get dowsed with chemicals AND struck by lightning AND get his molecules rejiggered with a particle accelerator? Let's go full crazy and have him get dosed with MIRAKARU at the same time.

And add a naked Felicity in the mix so that he gets struck by lightning just at the right moment! And his first job is to go back in time and save Felicity from dying to electric shock :p

pants

Mirakuru always makes me chuckle a little.
Reminds me of Burack Furaiday Banduru.

Somewhere in the back of my mind the "that's racist" bell rings in a far away mental space, then I am hit by an overpowering "lol that sounds ridiculous" and laugh my ass off.

So when the Flash show starts up, is there any chance of Arrow appearing on a few episodes or Flash coming back on Arrow? That'd be awesome.

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with Flash news.

Kouichi

Finally got around to watching Season 2.

Man I loved Season 1, but Season 2 is so fucking good. This show is amazing.

Also I'm amazed at how they manage to make me hate Laurel more and more each episode. She deserves an reward.

Its hard for me to fathom a live action show on tv that features Green Arrow, Deathstroke, Flash, Firefly, Brother Blood, Solomon Grundy, Black Canary and pulls it off in a way that is not a train wreck but this show does it every week. Cannot wait for the midseason finale and for the second half of the season.

Joni

So when the Flash show starts up, is there any chance of Arrow appearing on a few episodes or Flash coming back on Arrow? That'd be awesome.
Small chance. They might have secondary characters switch for an episode, but Oliver and Barry probably won't appear on each others show unless one show starts struggling or they start building up some Justice League like things.

Tabby

Maybe, if something big goes down in the finale and they both need each other's help it's possible they'd cross over but over than that they both have their own cities to protect.

DominoKid

of course. why go through all the trouble of introducing the Flash through Arrow if you're just going to keep the two isolated forever after that.

Emwitus

Rewatching part of season one and boy does it have some bad ass moments.

The moment this theme is playing i think in episode 3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymh3eq16z4o&list=PL0b4SOBRy-iFFZdEwxTbszam6c9d1Is7G

And episode 16 when tommy learns about marlyn. Specifically the part where they are going up the stairs and run into two triad henchmen who have them at gun point. That whole sequence was just, wow! fracking love this show.

This is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaiR9y_ycAw

Holy shit at the whole sequence.

Tendo

Finally caught up. Damn.

First show I have been hooked on weekly since Lost ended.

Oh, and I'm team kill Laurel. Any scene she is in I want to skip. Worse than Kate in Lost.

Wiktor

They could propably do crossover CSI-style, when a story starts in episode of one show and then finishes in episode of the second one.

That said, with Flash speed, I don't see any non-convulted reason why he would really need Ollie for anything.

It will always be a big logical hole we'll just have to ignore. A finale like in S1 will never again make full sense anymore if there's somebody like Flash running around.

They could propably do crossover CSI-style, when a story starts in episode of one show and then finishes in episode of the second one.

That said, with Flash speed, I don't see any non-convulted reason why he would really need Ollie for anything.

It will always be a big logical hole we'll just have to ignore. A finale like in S1 will never again make full sense anymore if there's somebody like Flash running around.

THAT IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU PEOPLE FOR MONTHS.

DieH@rd

Banned

Nah, they can find countless reasons why Flash can reach some place in time. He is bussy, fighting, he doesn't know location where he has to run to, etc.

I see zero ways how could Flash save the Glades when he did not know where 2nd earthquake machine is located.

Zero315

Banned

Eh, Doctor Who and Torchwood are in the same universe and that didn't stop crazy shit from happening in Torchwood. Buffy never showed up to stop the crazy shit in Angel. Plus, it's comics man, why doesn't Superman just show up in every DC comic and wreck everyone? They'll keep to their respective series aside from specific crossover events.

Besides, if Flash had been present at the end of season one the outcome would've still been pretty much the same since they didn't know there were two devices until it was too late.

Edit:
I see zero ways how could Flash save the Glades when he did not know where 2nd earthquake machine is located.

Great minds think alike, lol. That's what I get for walking away from the computer before finishing my reply.

Wiktor

Eh, Doctor Who and Torchwood are in the same universe and that didn't stop crazy shit from happening in Torchwood. Buffy never showed up to stop the crazy shit in Angel. Plus, it's comics man, why doesn't Superman just show up in every DC comic and wreck everyone? They'll keep to their respective series aside from specific crossover events.
So just like I said, completely illogical trope, just one we have to get used to as it's part of general superhero comic books silliness. I understand that superhero comic books are inherently silly to some level, but I hoped liveaction adaptations would shake some of those tropes off. Especially since they aren't as easily ignored in tv show or a movie. Only comic book fans can do that, every other viewer will just thing "this shit is so dumb"

Besides, if Flash had been present at the end of season one the outcome would've still been pretty much the same since they didn't know there were two devices until it was too late.
With Flash he would be able to stop Merlyn the first time instead of getting captured.
What's more...even if Flash wouldn;t be able to stop the second device, it would make ZERO sense why he isn't there anyway. There are couple dozen thousands people who can die. If at any time the large part of the city is in danger the only logical solution is to call Flash to Starling City. Anything else outs Oliver as pure psychopath, who cares more about his own ego than lives of countless innocents.

Buffy comparison us utterly broken, because Flash could run from Central to Starling in less than an hour. While Buffy wouldn't be able to comme immiedietely if called. What's more, Buffy power level was around the same as Angel more or less. There's nothing that Angel couldn't handle with his team that Buffy alone had. With Arrow/Flash it's completely different. One is regular guy, the other one is a god. Any opponent Olie faces Flash can dismantle without any effort.

So just like I said, completely illogical trope, just one we have to get used to as it's part of general superhero comic books silliness. I understand that superhero comic books are inherently silly, but I hoped liveaction adaptations would shake some of those tropes off.

Doesn't matter how Super a Superhero is, they can't be everywhere at once and it's not like Villains would coordinate so their plans don't take place at the same time. Torchwood plots largely take place in one city while Doctor Who takes place all over the Universe and throughout time. Buffy takes place in Sunnydale while Angel in Los Angeles. And the same will be true of Arrow and Flash.

They deal with different enemies in different places at the same time. It's just not possible for them to know everything that's happening everywhere and to fight/defeat everyone. To suggest as much is just being silly. Flash won't be in Starling City, he'll be in Central where he'll be looking to solve the already set up storyline of clearing his fathers name and finding the real killer. It's completely illogical to suggest that Flash could ever be knowledgeable about the shit that Arrow is dealing with and being willing to drop whatever he's doing with his own problems to run over there and solve it and vice versa.

Now if their own separate problems concern villains that cross over through some sort of scheme, then sure they could come together at some point but they're not omniscient beings that can just drop fighting crime in their own cities because they know it'll be ok. Either hero leaves their city at any point and they could fail to prevent crimes that could cost lives. That's why you don't have one single hero stopping everything everywhere.

Clevinger

So just like I said, completely illogical trope

so add it to the mountain of illogical shit in Arrow

What's more...even if Flash wouldn;t be able to stop the second device, it would make ZERO sense why he isn't there anyway.

spoiler for next season and beyond: 95% of the time Flash will be busy with all the crazy important epic shit in his own city. The 5% he's not, or when said crazy important epic shit overlaps with both cities, he'll be crossing over with Arrow and vice versa.

Buffy comparison us utterly broken, because Flash could run from Central to Starling in less than an hour.

So does Flash never get tired or what? Cuz even with superspeed he still has to run that far... But anyway, it doesn't matter if he could run there in less than an hour because he has his own stories and villains to deal with. He's not just sitting on his ass waiting for a call from his BFF Ollie.

Wiktor

Doesn't matter how Super a Superhero is, they can't be everywhere at once

Flash can. That's the problem with this particular superhero. The only time where you couldn't call him is if you're truly surprised by villain. If you got any prep-time Flash could make it in time.

. It's completely illogical to suggest that Flash could ever be knowledgeable about the shit that Arrow is dealing with

No, but Arrow knows. And it is completely illogical to suggest he would ignore a helpful god who could solve his biggest problems if needed. As long as Olie is fighting small fries it's not a problem. Flash has better things to do and Olie can handle it on his own. But if there's a danger to large population then yes, he needs to call Flash or else he's just insane.

I'm glad they already destroyed the Glades. If Arrow writers have any respect for plot coherence there will never again be any mass threat to Starling City. Just personal treats and small scale villains. Things ordinary people like Oliver can handle.

Wiktor

So does Flash never get tired or what? Cuz even with superspeed he still has to run that far... But anyway, it doesn't matter if he could run there in less than an hour because he has his own stories and villains to deal with. He's not just sitting on his ass waiting for a call from his BFF Ollie.
Oh, so according to you Flash won't move his ass to save thousands of people? Because this makes zero sense.

I specifically talked about finale. Of course Flash won't just sit and wait for Oliver to call him. Nor should Oliver call whenever he gets any problem. But any time there's truly a massive threat? Oliver not calling Flash makes zero sense. It's would be obvious and dumb plot hole created solely because of "lol...superheroes". And what's worse, whenever Flash will come it will make Oliver pretty much useless and writers will be forced to come up with extremely convulted expalantions why Oliver would have central role to solving the plot. Because logically anytime Flash apears Arrow should be relegated to role of a sidekick.

Hopefully writers realize this danger and they will never again go for the mass extinction danger in Arrow.

Flash can. That's the problem with this particular superhero. The only time where you couldn't call him is if you're truly surprised by villain. If you got any prep-time Flash could make it in time.

No, but Arrow knows. And it is completely illogical to suggest he would ignore a helpful god who could solve his biggest problems if needed. As long as Olie is fighting small fries it's not a problem. Flash has better things to do and Olie can handle it on his own. But if there's a danger to large population then yes, he needs to call Flash or else he's just insane.

I'm glad they already destroyed the Glades. If Arrow writers have any respect for plot coherence there will never again be any mass threat to Starling City. Just personal treats and small scale villains. Things ordinary people like Oliver can handle.

This doesn't take into account Flash pretty much at all. Does Flash have a cellphone or communicator on him at all times that Arrow has direct access to? What about when Flash is mid-fight with a villain, keep in mind that there are multiple Anti-Flashes in the history DC Universe. Or how about the times that Arrow is investigating something he thinks is relatively small only to be knocked out/captured? What about the fact that having powers still makes people human and flawed? Arrow can easily be too proud to call in help when he thinks he can handle it (hell last weeks episode clearly demonstrates that).

The Flash is also completely human in every respect outside of speed/reaction time. Any time he stops moving he can be killed by anything that can kill anyone else. He's far from a god by any stretch.

Wiktor

This doesn't take into account Flash pretty much at all. Does Flash have a cellphone or communicator on him at all times that Arrow has direct access to? What about when Flash is mid-fight with a villain, keep in mind that there are multiple Anti-Flashes in the history DC Universe. Or how about the times that Arrow is investigating something he thinks is relatively small only to be knocked out/captured? What about the fact that having powers still makes people human and flawed? Arrow can easily be too proud to call in help when he thinks he can handle it (hell last weeks episode clearly demonstrates that).
As a man living in modern era he ought to have a cellphone. And for the rest you're just repeating what I said.
It really puts huge lock on what Arrow writers can go for if they want to stay logical. Anytime Olie knows the threat will be huge in advance he needs to call Flash to not break the suspension of disbelief.

I hope writers will take that into consideration instead of deciding they can get away with dumb things because they're telling a superhero story. In comicbooks writers regularly ignore existence of other superheroes whever it suits them. But this won't work in a live action show. Everytime there needs to be good explanation why Flash isn't called for massive threat. Either Oliver getting surprised by size of the threat or not getting advance warning about it.

And if they ever will want to do another mass extinction story they better synchronize it with Flash spin-off to aim the threat at the moment where Flash will be truly indisposed and then make Oliver try to contact him and fail instead of pretending the demigod just doesn't exist.

Clevinger

Oh, so according to you Flash won't move his ass to save thousands of people? Because this makes zero sense.

You don't seem to get it. He'll be saving his own thousands of people in Central City (or whatever) at the same time. When the writers decide he's not busy with his own epic shit, or when this epic shit involves both cities, that's when he helps Oliver, and vice versa.

edit: My quick googling of "Does The Flash get tired" seems to indicate that before they introduced some bullshit comic thing and made Flash a god, he had serious drawbacks to his power (such as having to sleep for days after using his super speed a bunch), which means he can't just run across the country in five seconds and do everything. The non-bullshit version of Flash does get tired. I doubt they're making Flash god-like in the TV universe (thank god).

edit 2:

I get it, what I'm saying it's incrediby convulted if it will be handled this way. That's all.

Just gotta learn to laugh at this kind of stuff, bruh. There's so much of it in Arrow.

As a man living in modern era he ought to have a cellphone. And for the rest you're just repeating what I said.
It really puts huge lock on what Arrow writers can go for if they want to stay logical. Anytime Olie knows the threat will be huge in advance he needs to call Flash to not break the suspension of disbelief.

I hope writers will take that into consideration instead of deciding they can get away with dumb things because they're telling a superhero story. In comicbooks writers regularly ignore existence of other superheroes whever it suits them. But this won't work in a live action show. Everytime there needs to be good explanation why Flash isn't called for massive threat. Either Oliver getting surprised by size of the threat or not getting advance warning about it.

And if they ever will want to do another mass extinction story they better synchronize it with Flash spin-off to aim the threat at the moment where Flash will be truly indisposed and then make Oliver try to contact him and fail instead of pretending the demigod just doesn't exist.

As the Flash I expect he'll be wearing his costume, so where exactly is that cellphone?

Flash being human isn't anything you've addressed. Simply laying traps set to go off when invisible beams are crossed would be enough to stop Flash if he doesn't stop running and once he stops running, he can be killed simply by a silenced weapon. The only thing Flash has is speed and there are many ways to counter that. Calling Flash isn't an instant problem solver at all be that in comics or in a live action show.

I mean by your own logic there would be no reason to even have a Flash show at all since there would never be suspense since he could never be defeated.

Speaking of illogical things, I have no idea how Oliver's voice changer thing works. In early episodes he held a device in his palm and that somehow changed how his voice sounded, which doesn't make any sense. Something in his hood or on his throat could at least alter the sound of his voice as he projects.

Clevinger

Speaking of illogical things, I have no idea how Oliver's voice changer thing works. In early episodes he held a device in his palm and that somehow changed how his voice sounded, which doesn't make any sense. Something in his hood or on his throat could at least alter the sound of his voice as he projects.

My favorite: how did Oliver learn Yao Fei's hilarious "Make-People-Seem-Dead-By-Punching-Them-In-The-Throat" move when Yao Fei got his head blown off before teaching him?

Wiktor

As the Flash I expect he'll be wearing his costume, so where exactly is that cellphone?
There's this incredible feature modern cellphones have that's called voice mail ;)

Flash being human isn't anything you've addressed.
He's not human. Not anymore. He's not immortal, but he still completely dwarfs Green Arrow power wise. Therefore he should be called whenever something truly big comes. It's like those stories about kid detectives. Until you track small crimes it's ok, but if you stumble upon a bomb under the school that's supposed to detonate in an hour you do call a bomb squad instead of trying to disarm it yourself. You only try to disarm it yourself it there's 3 minutes till detonation.

I mean by your own logic there would be no reason to even have a Flash show at all since there would never be suspense since he could never be defeated.
Well..logically Flash should never be defeated by anyone Arrow can defeat. That's another problem. Whenever Flash apears he makes Arrow seem redundant. Bassicaly it relegates Olie to fighting villains so weak, that they're just aren't worth Flash's time.

There's this incredible feature modern cellphones have that's called voice mail ;)

Better hope Flash checks his voicemail every hour, even when he's fighting his own Villains!

He's not human. Not anymore. He's not immortal, but he still completely dwarfs Green Arrow power wise. Therefore he should be called whenever something truly big comes. It's like those stories about kid detectives. Until you track small crimes it's ok, but if you stumble upon a bomb under the school that's supposed to detonate in an hour you do call a bomb squad instead of trying to disarm it yourself. You only try to disarm it yourself it there's 3 minutes till detonation.

Other than his speed, he's still human. Still has to eat, drink, and sleep. Still mortal. You're also seriously underplaying Arrow and his teams capabilities.

Well..logically Flash should never be defeated by anyone Arrow can defeat. That's another problem. Whenever Flash apears he makes Arrow seem redundand.

Arrow has different strengths. Flash's speed doesn't make up for his lack of combat knowledge, lack of strength, lack of experience dealing with villains, completely different thought process, and the lack of a team at his disposal that increases knowledge and skill. I mean how exactly would Flash deal with the huge villain that Arrow just fought? And if that villain were to be guarding a huge bomb that could take out half the city?

It's not redundant. You're just nitpicking. Selectively nitpicking at that seeing as how you feel like it's logical enough that Arrow has defeated everyone he has thus far, when in all likelihood a random thug should've been able to shoot Arrow and kill him a dozen times over by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom