• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

tumblr_nc6j5ytxkq1tdew2fo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nc6j5ytxkq1tdew2fo2_1280.jpg

Final Crisis is the best.

Joni

How much is left of the league anyway? They regularly got their ass kicked by Team Arrow wandering into their HQ, Malcom was burning them at a whim, then this internal struggle things. The league can't have possibility have tens of thousands of trained assassins. The HQ should've just been called Mookland.
Based on the show, I'm certain they only had Ra's, Nyssa, Maseo, Sara, Malcolm and that one mook Sara and Oliver had to take out together.

Blader

Regarding the league noting makes sense about it. The writers went on record saying that their end goal for S3 was to have Malcom at the head of the League (without knowing how to get there) only to do absolutely nothing with that idea in S4, and then throw them away. It was an absolute waste of everyone's time.

While I do like this season a little more than S3 (and didn't hate 3 the way a lot of people did anyway), it is becoming more and more clear that Guggenheim and Mericle are really poor showrunners. If Kreisberg and Berlanti had a similar approach to plotting, they did a much better job of hiding it.

How much is left of the league anyway? They regularly got their ass kicked by Team Arrow wandering into their HQ, Malcom was burning them at a whim, then this internal struggle things. The league can't have possibility have tens of thousands of trained assassins. The HQ should've just been called Mookland.

Malcolm takes over HIVE, renames it The League of Assassins

Magwik

Banned
While I do like this season a little more than S3 (and didn't hate 3 the way a lot of people did anyway), it is becoming more and more clear that Guggenheim and Mericle are really poor showrunners. If Kreisberg and Berlanti had a similar approach to plotting, they did a much better job of hiding it.
Kreisberg and Berlanti both have a background in monster of the week type shows, which is where they really shine. Guggenheim and Mericle have backgrounds in drama and romcoms. They really aren't fit for showrunning.

ZeroX03

Banned
Kreisberg and Berlanti both have a background in monster of the week type shows, which is where they really shine. Guggenheim and Mericle have backgrounds in drama and romcoms. They really aren't fit for showrunning.

You're stretching here... Guggenheim has solid credentials alongside Kreisberg and Berlanti. Mericle only became a showrunner in S4. And Kreisberg and Berlanti are still EPs. Let's not pretend we know who's contributing what until they tell us, they're all working on this universe together.

Also Berlanti has six shows on the air and a pilot for a seventh, that workaholic.

Magwik

Banned
You're stretching here... Guggenheim has solid credentials alongside Kreisberg and Berlanti. Mericle only became a showrunner in S4. And Kreisberg and Berlanti are still EPs. Let's not pretend we know who's contributing what until they tell us, they're all working on this universe together.

Also Berlanti has six shows on the air and a pilot for a seventh, that workaholic.
Betlanti was a producer on Pan. I can never forgive him for that.

Blader

That doesn't mean they're involved in the nitty gritty of plotting and writing -- and given the notable difference in quality between S1/2 and S3/4, they clearly aren't.

Kreisberg is the Flash showrunner and, like you said, Berlanti produces a half dozen shows, so neither can possibly have the time to have a meaningful influence on Arrow now.

(Besides, of course they're "still EPs," they created the show. They're not going lose that credit no matter what they do or don't do going forward.)

ZeroX03

Banned
That doesn't mean they're involved in the nitty gritty of plotting and writing -- and given the notable difference in quality between S1/2 and S3/4, they clearly aren't.

Kreisberg is the Flash showrunner and, like you said, Berlanti produces a half dozen shows, so neither can possibly have the time to have a meaningful influence on Arrow now.

Actually I'm pretty sure they're still involved in overall plotting, at least last season they were involved in the overall arc of the show and contributed to stories. And as most of us agree that S4 is an improvement, so read into that however you want. Trying to pinpoint credits or blame certain people isn't a game you'll win or at least reach a satisfying conclusion. Especially as writer credits don't tell the whole story

Unless it's something like Harmon or Palladino being ousted and there's definitive evidence their presence was lacking as they had zero involvement. Even then I wouldn't put all the blame on the new show runners but that's a very different situation.

Joni

Berlanti has Story By credits on 16 Arrow episodes, Kreisberg has 8 Story By Credits and 2 written episodes. By all accounts, they are not the main writers and they never were. Although, Berlanti does interfere still a lot on the different shows when it comes to writing.

I try to be where I feel like I can impact the most change qualitatively. For me that's participating in crafting what the stories are. ... There are still plenty of days where I'm huddled in a room with a bunch of writers, breaking a story. Or I'm giving notes on a script, doing a pass on a script or in the edit bay. If anything, I probably spend less time on set. ... That's probably where most of my time gets eaten into. The truth is, the more you're doing, the more you end up being where you can help predict what problems are going to happen ... and then in post, when you're sort of figuring out what you have. But if I'm not working with writers or editing at least half my day, I feel like I'm not impacting the shows in the way I would like to. That's just what works for me.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/greg-berlanti-juggling-six-shows-828398

ZeroX03

Banned
Berlanti has Story By credits on 16 Arrow episodes, Kreisberg has 8 Story By Credits and 2 written episodes. By all accounts, they are not the main writers and they never were. Although, Berlanti does interfere still a lot on the different shows when it comes to writing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/greg-berlanti-juggling-six-shows-828398

Those credits don't tell the full story Joni. Often EPs/showrunners partially (re)write scripts and just give the credits to other writers. We have little to no idea who contributed what, especially since the shows like to credit multiple writers.

Like I would assume Kreisberg has written way more on Flash than he's credited for. His sole writing credits seem to be because he likes Trickster.

Joni

Those credits don't tell the full story Joni. Often EPs/showrunners partially (re)write scripts and just give the credits to other writers. We have little to no idea who contributed what, especially since the shows like to credit multiple writers.

Like I would assume Kreisberg has written way more on Flash than he's credited for. His sole writing credits seem to be because he likes Trickster.
As a supporting writer, he might be involved in any capacity, that is true. But it is also something where the existence of six shows doesn't really matter, as their writers rooms are probably all in one spot. LoT writer Sarah Nicole Jones posted on February 12th she was flying up to Canada, a day after Guggenheim tweeted her episode started filming.

carlsojo

If Malcolm starts his own League, who would you guys want him to recruit? Besides Deathstroke and Captain Boomerang of course. Double Down could be a good fit. Clock King seems more of a solo guy.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I just realized the rooftop sequence was basically Oliver and Nyssa renewing their vows. They're already married, they exchanged gifts, their friends were there, and it ended with him putting a ring on her finger. 😂

I liked the episode. I'm glad Felicity wasn't gullible, it was actually a really smart way to end that little mini arc with her dad. She verified her suspicions, and captured The Calculator without getting the rest of Team Arrow deeply involved.

Merlyn losing a hand is pretty tragic, considering his quick hands are how he got his League of Assassins name.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They're going to put Meryln in charge of S.H.A.D.E because he's so good at throwing it.

The problem is the writers bending completely over the line of logic as to why they should keep Malcolm alive. Oliver has looked not only like an idiot, but also like a damn psychopath in a way of doing so. His only excuse of why he can't kill Malcolm is what it will do to Thea. Given that Malcolm manipulated Thea into killing Sara to save his own neck and was willing to let her die just because he didn't want to give up the ring, I think Thea might be okay if her asshole father was killed after all that happened.

Magwik

Banned
The problem is the writers bending completely over the line of logic as to why they should keep Malcolm alive. Oliver has looked not only like an idiot, but also like a damn psychopath in a way of doing so. His only excuse of why he can't kill Malcolm is what it will do to Thea. Given that Malcolm manipulated Thea into killing Sara to save his own neck and was willing to let her die just because he didn't want to give up the ring, I think Thea might be okay if her asshole father was killed after all that happened.
Ollie is still feeling bad because he can't be there for his own kid.

Blader

Yeah I'm not sure why Oliver keeps trotting out the "he's Thea's father, they could still have a normal relationship" line when Thea clearly gives no shits about Malcolm.

And to the point, why would Oliver want Thea to have a relationship with Malcolm anyway? He's a mass murderering terrorist! There will never be anything normal about that relationship and it's crazy irresponsible for Oliver to keep pushing for it to happen. The guy already manipulated Thea into murderering Sara after training her to be a killer, he's clearly a bad influence.

ZeroX03

Banned
What fun things are in store for Felicity in tonight's new episode?

#4.14 "Code of Silence"
Extended Promo
SECRETS AND LIES — Oliver (Stephen Amell) and team uncover HIVE’s plan to take out Team Arrow once and for all. With HIVE’s next attack imminent, Lance (Paul Blackthorne) wonders if Donna (guest star Charlotte Ross) is safer without him in her life. Meanwhile, with the wedding fast approaching, Oliver begins to feel guilty that he hasn’t told Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) about his son or multiple STDs. (#414). Original airdate 2/17/16.

ar414b-0075b-169436.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom