• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

GulAtiCa

Given how popular Arrow is and how popular the Olicity fans are, I say those that cringe at Oliver & Felicity are in the minority. Anyways I'm just teasing ya'll.
I wasn't a fan of Felicity either much this season.. Though I did like the season more then others it seems.

Last season had its moments. I thought the mid-season finale was pretty intense, but the second half of the season didn't capture the same steam. I'll be watching. As long as there aren't any flashbacks of Oliver running through generic streets in China being shot at, I'll be happy.

Walpurgis

Banned
Given how popular Arrow is and how popular the Olicity fans are, I say those that cringe at Oliver & Felicity are in the minority. Anyways I'm just teasing ya'll.
I wasn't a fan of Felicity either much this season.. Though I did like the season more then others it seems.

Wait, you're telling me that the people that cringed at Felicity going yandere in season 3 are in the minority?
I don't want to be a part of this fanbase anymore.

Felicity was best in small doses, the character just gets worse the more screen time (EBR's acting ability being as limited as it is doesn't help) she has and she's basically become the show's embodiment of the social media fan girls just as the character is the one they "live vicariously" though that the show runners and writers started teasing late in season two but being their "voice" if you will, has been apparent since she criticized Oliver's "relationship" choices. Like the eye rolling "why her" thing when Oliver hooked up with Isabel. I wonder how many of this show's shippers are or were Twilight fans.

Oh and yeah the hacking shit is annoying. It was bad enough when she's doing it in Starling but then she shows up on the Flash and does the same shit. They could at least explain that at least when it comes to the city and law enforcement she has a backdoor in or something, anything beyond just randomly keystrokes and she's in everything.

Am I still wrong in thinking that "The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak's Hair" was one of the worst episodes of season three (where there's a lot to choose from) and the series?

Let's not mistake vocal with popularity now.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Felicity was best in small doses, the character just gets worse the more screen time (EBR's acting ability being as limited as it is doesn't help) she has and she's basically become the show's embodiment of the social media fan girls just as the character is the one they "live vicariously" though that the show runners and writers started teasing late in season two but being their "voice" if you will, has been apparent since she criticized Oliver's "relationship" choices. Like the eye rolling "why her" thing when Oliver hooked up with Isabel. I wonder how many of this show's shippers are or were Twilight fans.

Oh and yeah the hacking shit is annoying. It was bad enough when she's doing it in Starling but then she shows up on the Flash and does the same shit. They could at least explain that at least when it comes to the city and law enforcement she has a backdoor in or something, anything beyond just randomly keystrokes and she's in everything.

Am I still wrong in thinking that "The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak's Hair" was one of the worst episodes of season three (where there's a lot to choose from) and the series?

I agree 100%, some characters just work way better in those quick and funny moments. Felicity was exactly that in Season 1, the Moneypenny to Oliver's James Bond. She helps him out, nice comedic moment with some hints of sexual tension, the story moves on.

Someone like Diggle makes more sense to me because he balances Oliver out. Felicity comes off more like a plot device. Deus ex machina with a laptop.

And yeah, I've always thought that her secret origin episode was the worst episode of Arrow we have ever gotten, by a huge margin. Nothing about it worked.

anaron

spot on post.

It's not even Ollicity that bothers me the most (although it bothers me a lot); it's the stupid hacker trope bullshit.
Remember when she brought a Windows tablet on the raid to the Nanda Parbat to hack a jet that no one knew would be there?
Am I still wrong in thinking that "The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak's Hair" was one of the worst episodes of season three (where there's a lot to choose from) and the series?.

I strongly disliked that episode. Especially given how they did Brother Eye.

They done did Brother Eye wrong.

Penguin

And poster of Thea

CQpqsHMUwAAKqpE.jpg:large

BBboy20

animation37ssw0.gif

Even better.

Got juniored for this thread. No regrets. Someone on staff takes their Felicity really seriously it seems.
Her Instagram is quite something.

Arrow/Flash comic sale on Comixology.

If you haven't yet, for Green Arrow check out:

Vol 4: The Kill Machine
Vol 5: The Outsider War
even though it's not on-sale, Vol 6: Broken
Quiver
Sound of Violence
Done. Particular reason you left out the other volumes? Not interconnected stories?

Hey, I actually enjoy that scene!

I'm talking about that scene in particular not the stupidity of hacking a jet before it, it's a nice piece of physical comedy and something the show needs more of.

I don't mind humor and I agree that Arrow needs more of it. My problem with that gag is that it comes at the expense of the Assassins. They were already huge jobbers this season, so that scene just rubbed more salt in the wound for me.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't mind humor and I agree that Arrow needs more of it. My problem with that gag is that it comes at the expense of the Assassins. They were already huge jobbers this season, so that scene just rubbed more salt in the wound for me.

But, she doesn't kill the Assassin, Malcolm does. She hits him with her MS Surface and thinks that is what killed him only to see the Arrow sticking out of his back and Malcolm standing behind him. I do think the Assassins becoming jobbers is a valid complaint though when like an episode before Laurel, Thea, and Diggle were dispensing them like chumps in hand to hand combat. Including all the shenanigans that happened in that episode. But, that scene by itself is fine and a good piece of comedy.

I know Malcolm is the one who actually killed him, but combined with the rest of the issues I had with that episode, and the general attitude I have toward S3, it just didn't work for me. That's probably clouding my judgement.

I would've been ok with it if it was against some random street mooks or if the Assassins were actually competent threats.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Done. Particular reason you left out the other volumes? Not interconnected stories?
Vol 1-3 of Green Arrow were pretty poor. Vol 4 was when Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino took over as creative team and created a decent enough jumping-on point, resulting in a damn cool GA run.

I hadn't personally read Archer's Quest or Straight Shooter so I can't speak for those, but Kevin Smith's run on the GA books are well regarded.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I know Malcolm is the one who actually killed him, but combined with the rest of the issues I had with that episode, and the general attitude I have toward S3, it just didn't work for me. That's probably clouding my judgement.

I would've been ok with it if it was against some random street mooks or if the Assassins were actually competent threats.

If the LOA were competent, they wouldn't need so many members in the first place.

Joni

They are incompetent because they have so many members, rule of conservation of ninjutsu.
Also, the named members did quite well: Sara, Malcolm, Nyssa, Maseo, Rhas all put up very good fights over the course of the show.

ZeroX03

Banned
I think the unspoken rule of the League is that named characters are the elite trained by Ra's himself while grunts are just that. Happened in the Nolan movies too and most incarnations of the League I can think of.

Thea's costume looking dope! Now we can only hope Diggle's blackneto helmet was just a joke the showrunners were playing on us...

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think the unspoken rule of the League is that named characters are the elite trained by Ra's himself while grunts are just that. Happened in the Nolan movies too and most incarnations of the League I can think of.

That and anyone who gets reasonably good starts getting lippy with Ray.

'OI, RAY, YOU SLAG, TRY KICKING ME OFF DA FARKING MOUNTAIN.'

TheOddOne

Season premiere today:
Season 4: episode 1 "Green Arrow"

Oliver and Felicity’s blissful getaway is cut short when Thea and Laurel pay them a visit and tell Oliver they need his help back in Star City. The city has been attacked by “Ghosts,” assassins led by a dangerous man named Damien Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough). However, when Oliver returns, Diggle makes it very clear that he doesn’t want Oliver on the team.

Skux

I don't mind the hacker stuff as long as it's not pulled out of the ass. Felicity is established as a super hacker so I just go with it. But then Iris "hacks" her dad's CCPD computer and I'm like "da fuck did you learn that shit".

Magwik

Banned
I don't mind the hacker stuff as long as it's not pulled out of the ass. Felicity is established as a super hacker so I just go with it. But then Iris "hacks" her dad's CCPD computer and I'm like "da fuck did you learn that shit".
No matter how much of a super hacker you are, you can't just pull a quantum processor out of thin air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom