• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

This outrage is getting more and more ridiculous :messenger_grinning_squinting:

If gamers were as dedicated at solving real problems, we’d have found a cure for cancer and aids, made contact with aliens, achieved FTL travel, and discovered the secret to immortality.

Fabieter

What do you guys like better for an OT:

Earth Defense Force 6: Like Helldivers 2, except fun!
or
Earth Defense Force 6: PSN Account not required

I already told some of my friends who hate making an account for this game that they should definitely look at edf6. Would happily sacrifice hd2 for millions of sales of edf6.

Topher

Gold Member
it was when i checked it yesterday . game was getting too much positive .

Nah, you are thinking about some other game. I was following the reviews closely yesterday after I created the thread announcing the PSN login requirement. It was positive, but not overwhelmingly positive. The game had a lot of negative reviews due to the issues during launch that caused Sony to remove the PSN login requirement.

feynoob

Banned
Nah, you are thinking about some other game. I was following the reviews closely yesterday after I created the thread announcing the PSN login requirement. It was positive, but not overwhelmingly positive. The game had a lot of negative reviews due to the issues during launch that caused Sony to remove the PSN login requirement.
there is 2 different views.

recent one was mixed, now become negative. Overall was positive. now its mixed and going down negative at this moment.

bender

What time is it?
I already told some of my friends who hate making an account for this game that they should definitely look at edf6. Would happily sacrifice hd2 for millions of sales of edf6.

These were a lot easier to recommend when they were budget titles and didn't have season passes. Also the online implementation of EDF5 was atrocious as your single player and online progression were walled off from one another turning an already grindy game into a full time job.

Guilty_AI

These were a lot easier to recommend when they were budget titles and didn't have season passes. Also the online implementation of EDF5 was atrocious as your single player and online progression were walled off from one another turning an already grindy game into a full time job.
Another alternative is Deep Rock Galactic.

Fabieter

Apparently some people on twitter say they will use this shitstorm to get their full money back since they have no desire to play the game anymore.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Steam is de-listing Helldivers 2 in countries where there's no PSN.

I think this is big enough to get its own topic, i'll make one but if the mods feel like merging, that's ok.

Changed PurchaseRestrictedCountries

Added Afghanistan
Added Antigua and Barbuda
Added Anguilla
Added Albania
Added Armenia
Added Netherlands Antilles
Added Angola
Added Antarctica
Added American Samoa
Added Aruba
Added Åland Islands
Added Azerbaijan
Added Bosnia and Herzegovina
Added Barbados
Added Bangladesh
Added Burkina Faso
Added Burundi
Added Benin
Added Saint Barthélemy
Added Bermuda
Added Brunei Darussalam
Added Bonaire/Sint Eustatius/Saba
Added Bahamas
Added Bhutan
Added Bouvet Island
Added Botswana
Added Belarus
Added Belize
Added Cocos (Keeling) Islands
Added Democratic Republic of the Congo
Added Central African Republic
Added Congo
Added Côte d'Ivoire
Added Cook Islands
Added Cameroon
Added Cuba
Added Cabo Verde
Added Curaçao
Added Christmas Island
Added Djibouti
Added Dominica
Added Dominican Republic
Added Algeria
Added Egypt
Added Western Sahara
Added Eritrea
Added Ethiopia
Added Fiji
Added Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
Added Federated States of Micronesia
Added Faroe Islands
Added Unknown country code: FX
Added Gabon
Added Grenada
Added Georgia
Added French Guiana
Added Guernsey
Added Ghana
Added Gibraltar
Added Greenland
Added Gambia
Added Guinea
Added Guadeloupe
Added Equatorial Guinea
Added South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Added Guam
Added Guinea-Bissau
Added Guyana
Added Heard Island and McDonald Islands
Added Haiti
Added Isle of Man
Added British Indian Ocean Territory
Added Iraq
Added Islamic Republic of Iran
Added Jersey
Added Jamaica
Added Jordan
Added Kenya
Added Kyrgyzstan
Added Cambodia
Added Kiribati
Added Comoros
Added Saint Kitts and Nevis
Added Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Added Cayman Islands
Added Kazakhstan
Added Lao People's Democratic Republic
Added Saint Lucia
Added Sri Lanka
Added Liberia
Added Lesotho
Added Libya
Added Morocco
Added Monaco
Added Republic of Moldova
Added Montenegro
Added Saint Martin
Added Madagascar
Added Marshall Islands
Added North Macedonia
Added Mali
Added Myanmar
Added Mongolia
Added Macao
Added Northern Mariana Islands
Added Martinique
Added Mauritania
Added Montserrat
Added Mauritius
Added Maldives
Added Malawi
Added Mozambique
Added Namibia
Added New Caledonia
Added Niger
Added Norfolk Island
Added Nigeria
Added Nepal
Added Nauru
Added Niue
Added French Polynesia
Added Papua New Guinea
Added Philippines
Added Pakistan
Added Saint Pierre and Miquelon
Added Pitcairn
Added Puerto Rico
Added State of Palestine
Added Palau
Added Réunion
Added Serbia
Added Rwanda
Added Solomon Islands
Added Seychelles
Added Sudan
Added Saint Helena/Ascension/Tristan da Cunha
Added Svalbard and Jan Mayen
Added Sierra Leone
Added San Marino
Added Senegal
Added Somalia
Added Suriname
Added South Sudan
Added Sao Tome and Principe
Added Sint Maarten (Dutch part)
Added Syrian Arab Republic
Added Eswatini
Added Turks and Caicos Islands
Added Chad
Added French Southern Territories
Added Togo
Added Tajikistan
Added Tokelau
Added Timor-Leste
Added Turkmenistan
Added Tunisia
Added Tonga
Added Trinidad and Tobago
Added Tuvalu
Added United Republic of Tanzania
Added Uganda
Added United States Minor Outlying Islands
Added Uzbekistan
Added Holy See
Added Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Added Venezuela
Added British Virgin Islands
Added U.S. Virgin Islands
Added Viet Nam
Added Vanuatu
Added Wallis and Futuna
Added Samoa
Added Unknown country code: XD
Added Yemen
Added Mayotte
Added Zambia
Added Zimbabwe

Last edited:

Three

You lose your ability to play the game

i just added 2-3 of them together and suddenly traffic was on petabytes, even bigger than some supported countries :rolleyes:
Why are you adding 3 countries and not even reaching a tenth of 1 though? What point are you trying to make instead of just accepting the fact that not only are they disproportionate to the review bombing but that they can play without issues even from those countries?

Three

Steam is de-listing Helldivers 2 in countries where there's no PSN.
Well done guys, from the post:
I guess the outcry worked, but I really don't see this as a positive for the players in these countries. They could simply create a free PSN account from another region before, and linked it with that. On top of that, the majority of the complaining came from people that are seemingly not from these countries.

I warned you fake concern trolls that didn't even live in those countries about this shit bunch of snitches whining about the most trivial shit.

If they wanted to do this the 100% legitimate way they wouldn't be allowed to sell there but they know most people just create an account from another region so they don't block sales.

Last edited:

Three

"What a bunch of whiners, why don't they just take 2 minutes and move to another country that supports PSN" - SonyGAF
I don't understand, they stopped playing a game they might have enjoyed and spent time filling out a refund form instead. The people actually whinning and filing class action lawsuits spooked them to do the 100% legal remedy which fucked everyone in those regions that didn't even have a real problem. All so that you, those who probably don't even live there don't have to create an account. GG.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Witnessing console fanboys gnash their collective teeth over the Steam review system over the last year or so (infamous Xbox releases and now this) has to be the funniest shit ever. This is what happens when companies fuck around while consumers are allowed to have a voice.

Why is there this expectation that people should just have to accept things they aren't happy about? Why is there this expectation that people shouldn't be able to voice their discontent and warn other potential customers about the reasons why they aren't happy with the product?

I guess this is why the consoles have paid online whereas PC doesn't and never will.

Last edited:

Three

⬆️
Is this guy a moron or does he genuinely think this isn't sony doing this?
Of course it's sony doing this but it's sony protecting their ass legally in the best way they can hope, which is the obvious thing to do when somebody tries to open a class action lawsuit. Prevent further prohibited sales that you would have to pay for. And no you're more likely to be the moron for not understanding this.

lifa-cobex

Of course it's sony doing this but it's sony protecting their ass legally in the best way they can hope, which is the obvious thing to do when somebody tries to open a class action lawsuit. Prevent further prohibited sales that you would have to pay for. And no you're more likely to be the moron for not understanding this.
from doing something that they themselves are doing.

But you did warn everyone so credit where credit is due.

DrFigs

I'm all in favor of them flopping on pc. But I don't really understand the strategy behind this. if you have a problem where psn isn't available in all regions, wouldn't the solution be to put a pause on the mandatory psn thing for now?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm all in favor of them flopping on pc. But I don't really understand the strategy behind this. if you have a problem where psn isn't available in all regions, wouldn't the solution be to put a pause on the mandatory psn thing for now?

That would be the correct solution, especially since they know the game is being sold readily on a PC storefront that's accessible in *WAY* more countries than their own PSN servers are natively.

Sony's move here is the answer to a question literally no one asked.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Why are you adding 3 countries and not even reaching a tenth of 1 though?
You either can't read or you're not very good at math.
What point are you trying to make instead of just accepting the fact that not only are they disproportionate to the review bombing but that they can play without issues even from those countries?
Even if in adding all of these countries, only 2000 people bought this game, that's still 2000 scammed out of money. And you could be next, so complaining is within everyone's right and best interests.

And 'lol' at "without issues". Sony themselves recognized the problem and are restricting purchases in those places now.

Last edited:

Yoda

Cutting off access for people living in many countries would’ve been big news guaranteed in 2014, ”Why would I want to live there?” strategies we’re not popular at that time, don’t you remember?

The login requirement in itself is not the big deal here, Sony simply messed up by not correcting the regional limitations before talking about this change. Then things get worse when they’re silent while the poor dev is now taking all the heat. The noise will go away eventually but selling a game with mostly negative rating is harder than selling one with mostly positive rating, so both Sony and the dev is losing something from this change.
Agree, that'd not great either, but it's hardly the only reason. Sony's reputation for being anti-consumer is growing, which is ironic as it was their pro-consumer mentality that cemented their main competition into playing perpetual catchup.

HoodWinked

the backlash is well deserved. there are better ways to do this like how bungie does it. they offer features like cross save or give you in-game currency/cosmetics.

All you need to do is create a psn account (even with fake shit), save the credentials on your browser and login with it on your steam? This modern gaming community love some fucking drama these days, always looking for something to boost twitter likes and youtube views, it's actually getting worst because now you can make money with twitter. Also, the slow gaming news season...

Three

You either can't read or you're not very good at math.

Even if in adding all of these countries, only 2000 people bought this game, that's still 2000 scammed out of money. And you could be next, so complaining is within everyone's right and best interests.
My math is fine, try and do it yourself maybe with a calculator.
And 'lol' at "without issues". Sony themselves recognized the problem and are restricting purchases in those places now.
The issue was the class action lawsuit. Since it became clear that instead of faking an account and sony not caring that you did (ie not an issue) some people were now going to sue them for selling the game to them.

lefty1117

Gold Member

Yeah that's what is really surprising me about this. I am genuinely surprised that they are removing the game in all those countries. ALL those countries. A majority of countries in the world! Is it worth it to do that just to collect user information against a strong current of distrust? It's a really weird decision. They should have just made it optional and then incentivized people to register with bonuses or whatever. Really weird decision from Sony.

Three

So it was your reading capability then.

And win, for good reason.
There was nothing wrong with my reading capabilities either. Are you going to answer the question though? Why are you summing 2-3 countries to reach the equivalent of 1 supported country. Why not just say what countries and math you actually did and why?
And win, for good reason.
If you say so but no, the problem is that as much as the fake concern seems big from users not actually in those countries it would require a class action in each of those individual countries amounting to very little sales and so little to no damages. All it means now is that Sony are going to close every loophole on every product that allowed people in those unsupported countries to buy things they might like to avoid class actions. You're not sticking it to the man you're fucking it up for those who relied on those loopholes.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

There was nothing wrong with my reading capabilities either. Are you going to answer the question though? Why are you summing 2-3 countries to reach the equivalent of 1 supported country. Why not just say what countries and math you actually did and why?
Because it means that even though one of these may look insignificant, combined they give a lot more meaningful traffic? It's a very obvious conclusion so its clear you can't do math after all.

Georgia -> ~660 TB
Dominican Republic -> ~370 TB
Egypt -> ~500 TB
Cambodia -> ~317 TB
Azerbaijan -> ~309 TB
Armenia -> ~302 TB

Suddenly you're looking at close to 2.5 petabytes, which is already larger than those of supported countries like Ireland.

And these countries aren't even the ones with the largest traffic among the "excluded zone".

Last edited:

Three

Because it means that even though 1 one of these may look insignificant, combined they give a lot more meaningful traffic? It's a very obvious conclusion so its clear you can't do math after all.

Georgia -> ~660 TB
Dominican Republic -> ~370 TB
Egypt -> ~500 TB
Cambodia -> ~317 TB
Azerbaijan -> ~309 TB
Armenia -> ~302 TB

Suddenly you're looking at close to 2.5 petabytes, which is already larger than those of supported countries like Ireland.
Look how many countries you summed to get 2.5PB then you have the UK at 45PB. Not even 1 tenth of it. Why is it difficult to admit that there is little traffic in an unsupported country? Why do multiple countries to 1 country comparisons? If you want to show how big the sum of the unsupported countries in comparison why compare to 1 supported. do sum of supported vs sum of unsupported and see how laughable it is. The effort to have all those unsupported countries now supported isn't the same as 1 current supported one.

All I was saying is using the percentage traffic of them you get very few users if you apply it to the HD2 population but 10s of thousands of loudmouths who don't actually live there showing fake concern. Most of those living in those places didn’t even have a real issue at all. There was a very simple loophole that some of those concern trolls not living there have now raised their concerns with and subsequently ended up closing.

Last edited:
They know they’ve won the console war this gen and are reverting back to their late-PS2, early-PS3 form.

Nah. This is way worst than anything from those eras. Decisions from late PS2/early PS3 didn't have this tinge of excessive, bean counter & shareholder-driven greed attached to them. Sony just genuinely wanted to make an awesome, powerful, future-proof 7th gen system but overestimated how much people were willing to pay for it at launch, while underestimating the 1-2 punch of Gears & Halo 3 for 360 at around the same time.

This right here? It's like they genuinely looked at the worst way to roll out a change that would've been contentious, then decided to make it twice as bad. All so they could bloat some numbers to shareholders. It's a damn shame.

The hyperbole Jesus. The communication is bad but come on.

It's not just the communication; it's the intent behind it. And IMO that makes this worst than any of the silly stuff with early PS3. At least then it was SIE still clearly pushing their console and putting that front and center.

This mandatory PSN thing is probably so they can focus even more on PC ports and accelerate the porting times for non-GAAS titles while still making the GAAS stuff Day 1 (with PC gamers getting the better deal due to more performance options, cheaper prices and free online). So in a way I'm a bit glad this fiasco is happening because who knows how further behind a priority console owners would've became for SIE had none of it happened.

Unfortunately Arrowhead are catching a lot of strays over it, they clearly didn't want to do this to their community. And now I worry that SIE have just soiled a perfectly good partnership out of corporate greed. I'm starting to agree with others: get SIE out of California and back in Japan. Or at least out of California; that place is cursed.

Well done guys, from the post:

I think the problem is if you do that, the TOS clearly mention that it's against the terms to do so. If SIE decide to then enforce the TOS and find out you've made an account from a region where you don't reside, there goes your content.

Also, a lot of places now require IDs or passports to be scanned to verify age & identity online; those would give away a person's country of residence if they tried spoofing with a place not of their residence. There's also the thing that while you can make an account outside of your residence, you're restricted to only using cards and currency of that particular country for buying content. There are probably a lot of teens and young adults not savvy enough to do that type of thing, or people who might be worried that trying to buy with a different currency could lock up their online banking accounts.

I actually had that happen to me when trying to buy a foreign film (On a Silver Globe) from a website based in Russia. My card got declined multiple times and then my bank account was locked. Had to go through hell to get access to it again, re-scan my ID and social security card, put up with their horrible wait times on the phone, all of that. And that was with a reputable website (at least I think it was reputable).

All you need to do is create a psn account (even with fake shit), save the credentials on your browser and login with it on your steam? This modern gaming community love some fucking drama these days, always looking for something to boost twitter likes and youtube views, it's actually getting worst because now you can make money with twitter. Also, the slow gaming news season...

It's not necessarily that simple, since this involves accounts being used with real debit & credit cards to buy content. There's a risk if the TOS is enforced and those doing this trick are banned, banking accounts tied to their cards could be locked/frozen under suspicion of fraudulent activity. And depending on the banking account, it could be a pain in the ass to get your access back to it.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Look how many countries you summed to get 2.5PB then you have the UK at 45PB. Not even 1 tenth of it. Why is it difficult to admit that there is little traffic in an unsupported country?
Why is it so difficult to admit that even that "small traffic" already gathers a considerable amount of players when combined who have been scammed out of their money?
Why you refuse to recognize there are 100+ more that add up to this amount?
Why are you so intent on the notion that its ok to screw over thousands of players just because they're a "small percentage" of the total?
Why are you so intent on defending a billion dollar corporation doing questionable business decisions?
Why are you so bothered by players voicing their discont over said questionable business in a perfectly legal manner using the appropriate channels?

Tell me why you're so intent on defending Sony here when they're obviously the ones who screwed up and are fully in the wrong.

Last edited:

Anchovie123

So instead of just selecting a different region apon signup like a normal person. It really is now literally impossible to play the game for people in these countrys?

So much for fighting for the little guy' well done everyone. :messenger_clapping:

Most outrage these days is just dopamine farming from feeling like you've joined a "cause" and I'm not just talking about gaming.

Top Bottom