• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

Mr Moose

If those companies also only decide to insist upon an account months after the game's successful release, then yes, they should keep that same energy.
I mean, you linked the Tweet yourself, It was required but disabled after because of issues with it. People couldn't link their PSN accounts, which stopped them from being able to play.
They made PSN account linking on the PC optional due to the server issues. The server issues were caused by capacity limits due to the game engine. At one point more than 100K players would cause server full errors. The managed to get it up above 400K after a couple of weekends after the devs publicly cried about having to work on weekends it fix it.
They should've sorted this out a lot sooner than 4 months.

Last edited:

Three

Great. And can you also concede that if Helldivers 2 had been a failure, then Sony wouldn't have insisted on this unnecessary extra step?
How, when it required it right from the beginning? Remember that they had no idea this would be a popular game, Helldivers 1 wasn't. They ended up with server capacity issues because of it. So by deduction it's clear that they insisted on it even without knowing it would be popular.

The PSN account is entirely unneeded to play Helldivers 2 on PC, and does not benefit the consumer in any way?
it became 'unneeded' to benefit people trying to connect.
They separated the need for PSN account linking to reduce server load. As in the reason it works without was because they worked to put in a temporary fix and skip button to not need it and benefit consumers.

We don't know if it's entirely unneeded on the backend though. I know they were using playfab which costs money and limits servers. This change could now be to benefit Sony/Arrowhead again and reduce costs on the backend, consolidating back into a one PSN account system that they had originally planned now that servers are under control. May even explain why older Helldivers players don't need to sign in to PSN until June 4 as they're migrated exactly a month later while newer accounts are PSN required from May 6.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That's not what Arrowhead said. They didn't design it to support the numbers they got.

Doesn't suggest it has anything to do with the engine which wouldn't make sense anyway. The engine only cares about what is going on on-screen and there's a player limit of 4.

This suggests a netcode/network issue and it's made obvious by him stating that it was a backend problem. It's all related to server capacity and networking. Nothing to do with the game engine. If it was say, a game engine designed to only have 10 players at once in a single match but 20 joined and it caused a crash, then that would be a game engine issue.

Last edited:
Your logic is incredibly circuitous.

You're saying 'people can't read!' because they chose to skip the unnecessary requirement to have a PSN account.

They could read the big skip button quite well though, couldn't they?

Can you at least concede the PSN account is entirely unneeded to play Helldivers 2 on PC, and does not benefit the consumer in any way?
Can you concede that NO game requires a linked account and that PC gamers should have been angry and review bombing LONG before this?

StereoVsn

Tell the people who live in a non psn country and aren’t able to play the game anymore.
Or having to send your goddamn ID info to Sony if you are in UK/Ireland. Or only able to register PSN account on PS console if in Ukraine.

Like seriously, people shouldn’t be upset about this? Nah, I guess we should all stan for multi billion corpo instead.

lrdQpFl.jpeg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It was Arrowhead that disabled the requirement in the game when users were having issues with it.
-PSN requirement was always there on steam game page.
-PSN was active only short on launch and then deactivated by Arrowhead due to server issues
-Sony demands it back on. "we had a deal" they say
-Arrowhead employees step out of line
-No more sony buying arrowhead
In all of this? Sony totally fucked up and sold the game in PSNless countries.

BTW this made me realize, you cannot even update disc game on ps5 if you don't have PSN. And you can't download patches on pc and drop on usb stick like it was possible on 360.
THIS SUCKS ASS. Why would you need psn to update the game on console

Mr Moose

And who is forcing it to be enabled months after release?
It was always a requirement. Is it needed? No, but it was always required.
When they disabled it they said it would be put back up at a later date.

Known Issues
Account Linking
Some players are having trouble linking their PSN accounts to their game in the initial setup screen. They may see an error code indicating a server request problem. For now, you can skip that screen and play normally. Later—after we resolve those server request errors—the game will ask people who skipped that screen to try linking their accounts again.

ManaByte

I'm fucking baffled how people just can't bring themselves to understand this.

The PSN account isn't necessary now, wasn't necessary then, and won't be necessary in future.

This is Sony getting greedy, and insisting on a thing that they did not need to insist on.

And people still defend them.

If the PSN account allowed things like cross-progression or unlocking PSN trophies, I could understand linking. But as of right now it does nothing.

Three

If the PSN account allowed things like cross-progression or unlocking PSN trophies, I could understand linking. But as of right now it does nothing.
They've said they're working on cross progression and other updates like it but it makes it more difficult when your playerbase is split within the same platform because people didn't sign up for a third party account they need to use for that functionality.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They've said they're working on cross progression and other updates like it but it makes it more difficult when your playerbase is split within the same platform because people didn't sign up for a third party account they need to use for that functionality.

Which makes it doubly stupid that they didn't hold back the mandatory PSN linking for future projects and instead are shoehorning it into an extremely popular game that's already been out for a while.

Yes, you can point me to the early messaging about the PSN requirement being a part of the games previews etc, but they did keep selling the game for multiple months and millions of units *without* it.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

There's no way those features aren't coming though. We know they've already talked about trophy integration, and cross-progression is a no-brainer for future games, especially multiplayer games.

Mr Moose

Which makes it doubly stupid that they didn't hold back the mandatory PSN linking for future projects and instead are shoehorning it into an extremely popular game that's already been out for a while.

Yes, you can point me to the early messaging about the PSN requirement being a part of the games previews etc, but they did keep selling the game for multiple months and millions of units *without* it.
Yeah this issue should've been resolved a lot fucking sooner than 4 months.

ManaByte

There's no way those features aren't coming though. We know they've already talked about trophy integration, and cross-progression is a no-brainer for future games, especially multiplayer games.

We're not talking about future games. This is a about a game released in February.

Three

Why? You say they should have left it to the next project. That's ridiculous, they had the requirement from the beginning but temp disabled to benefit users and you think that should extend to years and prevent any cross progression work on HD2 because? It's a live service game they wanted to support for years and years. Should SoT have left it out too until whenever Everwild releases if they had temporarily disabled ? I know you will say 'but it didn't happen that's on them' or something so let me give you another live service game. Minecraft launched without any requirements for account registration, went years without it. Then retroactively required all minecraft users to create a MS account. Should MS have left Minecraft alone "until the next project"? Do you not think that's asnine?

They sold it clearly stating it was a requirement from the place you bought it and on boot when you launched the game. It wasn't 'early messaging' it was messaging throughout these ~3 months. Anybody who bought it within that period or at any point had those messages there and hit skip.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why? You say they should have left it to the next project. That's ridiculous, they had the requirement from the beginning but temp disabled to benefit users and you think that should extend to years because? It's a live service game they wanted to support for years and years. Should SoT have left it out too until whenever Everwild releases if they had temporarily disabled ? I know you will say 'but it didn't happen that's on them' or something so let me give you another live service game. Minecraft launched without any requirements for account registration, went years without it. Then retroactively required all minecraft users to create a MS account. Should MS have left Minecraft alone "until the next project"? Do you not think that's asnine?

Minecraft was getting its Java version updated for years before they slowly phased out the updates. Minecraft didn't require MS accounts till the end of 2022, more than a decade after the game came out. Plus you can make MS accounts, for free, in even more countries than those which support Steam.

This is pushing the mandatory requirement just 4 months into a new, popular, games's lifespan when it's at the peak of its recent popularity, and will prohibit people who have spent money from accessing the game.

Surely you can see the difference in these circumstances, right?

They sold it clearly stating it was a requirement from the place you bought it and on boot when you launched the game. It wasn't 'early messaging' it was messaging throughout these ~3 months. Anybody who bought it within that period or at any point had those messages there and hit skip.

If the publisher allowed the sale of a game everywhere knowing full well that they intend for it to stop working in 170+ countries after a few months, that's a really scummy move, then .

They should have asked Steam to put a regional sales restriction from day 1 to avoid this issue 3 months down the line.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Ok then maybe not force the login 4 months after launch for features that may be coming in the future.

Agree, but this is par for course for Sony. They always do things in the least efficient way possible compared to their peers. It took them only 8 years to figure out how to let us change our PSN names.

The good thing is - nothing bad will come out of this situation.
Good memes, sony getting slapped in the face, others seeing "oh shit we cant do that too".
Only good things
Nothing bad …

Except…

The gateway to your ecosystem that is PSN account is going to be a meme.

Three

Minecraft was getting its Java version updated for years before they slowly phased out the updates. Minecraft didn't require MS accounts till the end of 2022, more than a decade after the game came out.
Does this make it better or worse? So now the 3 months timing was too short?
How does 10 years now not apply to your statement:
Which makes it doubly stupid that they didn't hold back the mandatory [MS] linking for future projects and instead are shoehorning it into an extremely popular game that's already been out for a while.

"The official Minecraft blog announced yesterday. Players who own the original version of the game and do not switch to a Microsoft account will be unable to play."

Now tell me why the advice "wait until the next project" doesn't apply here?
Plus you can make MS accounts, for free, in even more countries than those which support Steam.
PSN accounts are free too. You can't 'officially' play them in unsupported xbox countries though much the same. The fact that it's possible doesn't mean them playing or being able to buy it is officially supported.

This is pushing the mandatory requirement just 4 months into a new, popular, games's lifespan when it's at the peak of its recent popularity, and will prohibit people who have spent money from accessing the game.

Surely you can see the difference in these circumstances, right?
No, I don't see the difference at all. You think now is Helldivers peak. Have you seen the graphs from weeks ago? Did people not pay for Minecraft or spend money on it? is it not even more popular than HD2? What point are you making as the difference?

Stop making excuses because I see little to no difference. In fact I see a difference that is potentially worse in Minecraft in that when they were originally sold a copy a MS account wasn't clearly stated as a requirement but added without any prior warning.

If the publisher allowed the sale of a game everywhere knowing full well that they intend for it to stop working in 170+ countries after a few months, that's a really scummy move, then .

They should have asked Steam to put a regional sales restriction from day 1 to avoid this issue 3 months down the line.
Minecraft players had the exact same issue in certain countries too likely didn't even have any refund options available. Yes they should have checked that box. Those people can legally refund if they didn't wish to create a MS/PSN account from another region but you are not them so why are you moaning for them when they themselves haven't here. They possibly got 3 months of free fun in something that you say they shouldn't have had access to from the beginning.

Last edited:

Fess

its over....how Sony can save face without looking like 🐱🐱?.

Sony has to take the damn L.

As a starter, as he said they could offer a bunch of free content if you link the accounts. Currently there is no upsides to this for the gamers. It’s only positive for Sony, for MAU etc. And if you don’t have a Playstation you don’t have a PSN account, because there is no reason to have one, so it’s just extra hassle for no reason from a PC gamer perspective.
Then they obviously need to let people in all countries sign up. Without needing a vpn. Can’t suddenly make a game people have bought inaccessible.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nothing bad …

Except…

The gateway to your ecosystem that is PSN account is going to be a meme.
I don't care. PSN sucks ass and always did. UI is terrible, pricing is terrible, practicality is terrible. I despise PSN.
And that's coming from someone who mainly plays on ps5. I refuse to pay them for the ps+ because ui sucks.
Why is it even required to have PSN at all to download patches

Top Bottom