• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Academy: SketchPad |OT|

Oh my god, some of these- oh my god.

I'll post my inferior cat drawing when finished.
I feel the same way. After seeing these, I look at my stuff, and I'm just like - god, I suck.

Anyway...

This is my cat picture. I liked it at first, but after seeing the other cat pictures, not so much.
zlCfzRFr_lkffdlGiy

I rushed this one, because halfway through I really regretted choosing a red background. The caption for this is 'In the end, the opponents decided... not to contest the judges' ruling.'
zlCfzRFu5XYJvyYufV

Some of these are so great. I'm spending more time scrolling through Miiverse and shouting "hey, look at this one!" than I am playing games. A wonderful wee app. They really oughta integrate it with Miiverse more thoroughly. At the very least allow for tagging images with titles of games available on Wii U so they can be viewed in their own communities too. And showing the images posted in the Wii U Wara Wara plaza speech bubbles too.

disap.ed

Just saw a post from Si. He got the message that he has too many things saved and couldn't save his current one. Someone pointed out the manual says you can only save 12 images at a time. I'm not that far fortunately, but I wouldn't have read the manual until I got to that point either. I never look at digital manuals (but love paper manuals for some reason). So not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you have 12 things in your portfolio already, might need to delete something to make room. Kind of disappointing. Wish it was based more on space you have available.

Quoted for the new page. Disappointing indeed.

sakipon

Well maybe when the Gallery has a function, you can move completed work to there?

Good thinking, it could be gallery is for viewing and one couldn't resume any art pieces from there. Though I wonder why such an essential feature would be delayed.

Just saw a post from Si. He got the message that he has too many things saved and couldn't save his current one. Someone pointed out the manual says you can only save 12 images at a time. I'm not that far fortunately, but I wouldn't have read the manual until I got to that point either. I never look at digital manuals (but love paper manuals for some reason). So not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you have 12 things in your portfolio already, might need to delete something to make room. Kind of disappointing. Wish it was based more on space you have available.

That is super disappointingly low for a mass restriction. You should be able to set how much space you want to allocate for drawings.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I bought this today and had a couple of hours with it. I'm no artist but used to like drawing back in the day.

As you know. I can be quite negative towards Ninty and the WiiU.

Let me get this out of the way. Art Academy is by far the best app on WiiU by a large margin.

It's simply fantastic. You really do feel like you're drawing with real pencils and pastels.
The lack of undo doesn't bother me. You can't do that in real life either.
I would like layers though. That would be great and the ability to draw at a higher resolution.

I've tried drawing packages on my iPad before but the responsiveness of the screen of the WiiU with a stylus relative to a iPad is unbelievable. Now I see how it's possible to create some of the images in this thread although I lack the talent and ability to do so.

A fab bit of software at a fab price. Nice one Nintendo.

I bought this today and had a couple of hours with it. I'm no artist but used to like drawing back in the day.

Let me get this out of the way. Art Academy is by far the best app on WiiU by a large margin.

It's simply fantastic. You really do feel like you're drawing with real pencils and pastels.
I would like layers though. That would be great and the ability to draw at a higher resolution.

I've tried drawing packages on my iPad before but the responsiveness of the screen of the WiiU with a stylus relative to a iPad is unbelievable. Now I see how it's possible to create some of the images in this thread although I lack the talent and ability to do so.

I had to doublecheck your username. ^^

Really good piece of software, can´t wait for the lessons.

I'd say an Undo button is pretty essential and yet it doesn't exist.

I think there's no undo button because it's an attempt to emulate real art tools and the process that goes along with them. Made a mistake? Use the eraser, or paint it out. I think it's great and helps the skills you develop translate into working with actual materials.

I'd say an Undo button is pretty essential and yet it doesn't exist.

I'd agree with other paint apps, but not here. It's deliberately made to simulate real tools and techniques, and as such an undo button would defeat the purpose. Outside of an almost too perfect eraser, the tools are pretty much perfect.

A Question for those who have used this, or the DS and 3DS versions:

After taking the lessons, were you able to carry and apply your newly-learned skills to drawing on paper with much ease? I imagine that it would be a goal for some people.

Miiverse has some very talented artists!! There were some Miyamoto and Iwata pictures earlier in this thread which left me genuinely and pleasantly stunned and amazed. Also, the Cat Mario, Tenki's Mikasa and Stormbringer's Wonderful 101 pictures were all very impressive.

It definitely helped me to learn more about light/colour. I mostly use ink and graphite to draw, but I've seen quite a progress in speed and efficiency in Colors 3D for example.

92241-8vSPD2OHr18MRN0I.png
This took me about 5 hours to complete (first one in Colors, before using Art Academy)

These I did recently and all are below 3 hours.
1107456-1YC5_knyDQVEHFuy.png

1206663-X6RW6axsCDUPPkEI.png

1253703-v6tEE6RfPhPtuS7W.png

So yeah, the lessons and skills in Art Academy/New Art Academy definitely apply to other areas/apps and materials.

NeoRausch

I'd agree with other paint apps, but not here. It's deliberately made to simulate real tools and techniques, and as such an undo button would defeat the purpose. Outside of an almost too perfect eraser, the tools are pretty much perfect.

It definitely helped me to learn more about light/colour. I mostly use ink and graphite to draw, but I've seen quite a progress in speed and efficiency in Colors 3D for example.

92241-8vSPD2OHr18MRN0I.png
This took me about 5 hours to complete (first one in Colors, before using Art Academy)

These I did recently and all are below 3 hours.
1107456-1YC5_knyDQVEHFuy.png

1206663-X6RW6axsCDUPPkEI.png

1253703-v6tEE6RfPhPtuS7W.png

So yeah, the lessons and skills in Art Academy/New Art Academy definitely apply to other areas/apps and materials.

dude.... those are awesome!
what's your NNID?
I wanna follow/add you!

edit:
shoot me a PM if you don't wanna post it here.

... who are you, and what did you do to cyberheater? lol

Anyway, I still maintain hope that Collecting Smiles will release a version of their excellent 3DS App Colors! for the WiiU. They offer layers, undo features, replays, the lot. And given what they were able to pull off on the minuscule amount of RAM on the 3DS, having 1GB available should only make the App better.

Edit: @weird, PM sent your way.

By the same guy who did Elvis:

2gctIIf.jpg

The face is a little sloppy but the hair and lighting are great.

Face is sloppy? I'd do sloppy things to that sloppy face if that's what you call sloppy.
I found that yesterday and saved it to my computer, it's that good. (imo)

Neff

Face is sloppy? I'd do sloppy things to that sloppy face if that's what you call sloppy.
I found that yesterday and saved it to my computer, it's that good. (imo)

That looks spookily real on a Gamepad.

In fact, it's striking how differently the colours and composition come out on an average PC monitor since the Gamepad has by far the most accurate colour reproduction I've ever seen on a low end LCD device.

That looks spookily real on a Gamepad.

In fact, it's striking how differently the colours and composition come out on an average PC monitor since the Gamepad has by far the most accurate colour reproduction I've ever seen on a low end LCD device.

The reds are really the only thing the gamepad does iffy. But yeah a lot of these pics are absolutely gorgeous.

Neff

The Gamepad has perfect white balance while still retaining warm, natural yellows. That's quite rare for LCD tech, as they usually come out with a mild green or blue tint. My £300 monitor and my £400 TV, only a few years old model-wise, don't have quite as good a spectrum as the Gamepad does.

While I do agree that an undo button would be counter to the creation experience, I really want a "lock" feature. Can't tell you all how many times I've accidentally zoomed in (or out), turned the grid on, or tapped a shoulder button, bringing up full screen menus.

Still a damn blast, though.

kuppy

dude.... those are awesome!
what's your NNID?
I wanna follow/add you!

edit:
shoot me a PM if you don't wanna post it here.
Would like to see more too, NNID or link to one of your posts on the MiiVerse would be great. Awesome work.

I may have wasted my money.... after seeing this kind of pics my spirit is broken knowing i will not even get close to ever get that level of quality

It's not about that. It's about improving your skill and talent, not being better than anyone else. Keep on it, and you'll see improvements over time.

Muku

It's not about that. It's about improving your skill and talent, not being better than anyone else. Keep on it, and you'll see improvements over time.

True words.

I know a lot of folks are getting discouraged. I've tried to tell a guy today not to let it bother him and not to focus on the Yeahs, even though they are nice to have for fact you know you're work is at least being seen and enjoyed. Really work on your skills. Anything along the way is bonus, is how I'm seeing it right now. My most recent picture I tossed up yesterday I'm not happy with, but apparently some folks like it. Never know what will float some folks boats. That's what makes it interesting. :)

kuppy

^These are awesome

Just checked the Miiverse and saw that new picture, I figured it was from the Xenoblade community until I realised there isn't one and this was posted for Art Academy, so good:

Also:

Loving it :)

Hopefully DLC lessons aren't way too far off. The handheld versions didn't interest me since the screen is just so small.

A little surprised you mentioned the anime version, haha. I caught up with the manga earlier this year.
If you liked Aku no Hana, I suggest Oyasumi Punpun if you haven't read it.

Thanks! I know most people tend to... hate the anime's direction, but it really grew on me by the end.

Also, I'll look into your suggestion!

Hey, nice work :)

Thank you so much!

Muku

Yeeeeesss. Thank you for posting that. Forgot to check his profile earlier but knew he was working on it. He posted the background yesterday seeing if folks could guess where it's from. That final piece is so awesome.

noal

Banned
Some of these are just totally unreal. Never in life will I get anywhere near this standard. My best was a Beatles pic on miiverse that got about 130 yeahs but these are just fantastic. Bravo to all the artists.

Roo

I'd like to see them trying some old school anime.
Sailor Moon, Digimon, Sakura Card Captor, Yu-Gi-Oh and/or Shaman King
Maybe I'll give it a try :p

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
^These are awesome

Just checked the Miiverse and saw that new picture, I figured it was from the Xenoblade community until I realised there isn't one and this was posted for Art Academy, so good:

Also:

Loving it :)

immediately quoted once i saw xenoblade, didnt even know there were more pictures then the 1st one lol

Top Bottom