• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Academy: SketchPad |OT|

zroid

Banned
Would you guys recommend New Art Academy 3DS for someone who doesn't know how to draw?

As someone who doesn't know how to draw, I would. :)

I got it for free thanks to that XL promo earlier this year, and have done a few lessons. It's very polished and beginner-friendly.

NeoRausch

his name is Flonkers and he is bonkers!
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/wiitankaddress

zlCfzRFcGro35SALO8

zlCfzRFgqMEMi3VCuS

zlCfzRFhRSAzAlqVHx

zlCfzRFmercm5ZB_P8

edit:
zlCfzRFmWhAmSkRccq

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADbUgNnsuqW3A

I hope lessons come out soon, I tried drawing some of the built-in pictures last night and failed miserably. I am thinking of buying a DSi XL stylus to see if it helps me, I have a tough time using the tiny gamepad one.

Also, after constantly reading so much negative stuff about the Wii U, I want to say what a wonderful example this is of software + gamepad + Miiverse integration. It's really cool to look at what other people have made.

CengizMan

This is without a doubt my favourite Miiverse community. So much good stuff!

Here is one I made today. I'm starting to get a bit more used to the tools.

Link

Volotaire

Nintendo need to capitalize on these drawings in Miiverse somehow. Come up with new software or competitions that attracts these people and the community. Integrate it into other games possibly.

And that anime one is ridiculously good.

I think I would have a bit more accuracy if I could find my Theatrhythm stylus, which gives me a better grip for my large ass hands. :lol

My first drawing:

xlMLWVj.jpg

I forgot to do the whites of his eyes. Bleh! But it's on the internet now, no turning back.

Also for some reason his skin tone looks darker/ashen on the computer.

Mithos

Gold Member
So sad that these pictures do not pop in Wii U Mii Plaza because they are screenshot adds to a message.

A Question for those who have used this, or the DS and 3DS versions:

After taking the lessons, were you able to carry and apply your newly-learned skills to drawing on paper with much ease? I imagine that it would be a goal for some people.

Miiverse has some very talented artists!! There were some Miyamoto and Iwata pictures earlier in this thread which left me genuinely and pleasantly stunned and amazed. Also, the Cat Mario, Tenki's Mikasa and Stormbringer's Wonderful 101 pictures were all very impressive.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hopefully DLC lessons aren't way too far off. The handheld versions didn't interest me since the screen is just so small.
A piece based on one of my favorite anime/manga series, Aku no Hana (The Flowers of Evil).

(Miiverse Link)

A little surprised you mentioned the anime version, haha. I caught up with the manga earlier this year.
If you liked Aku no Hana, I suggest Oyasumi Punpun if you haven't read it.

Frodo

A Question for those who have used this, or the DS and 3DS versions:

After taking the lessons, were you able to carry and apply your newly-learned skills to drawing on paper with much ease? I imagine that it would be a goal for some people.

Miiverse has some very talented artists!! There were some Miyamoto and Iwata pictures earlier in this thread which left me genuinely and pleasantly stunned and amazed. Also, the Cat Mario, Tenki's Mikasa and Stormbringer's Wonderful 101 pictures were all very impressive.

You probably would be able to carry what they teach you and transfer it to real life, I guess. I've learnt a thing or two using the app. It does a decent job at introducing some techniques, so I figure you could use the knowledge on real life, yes. I never actually tried to draw the lessons on paper.

Bumhat

Just a little Minish Cap doodle I did the other day:

linkww.jpg

Nintendo ID: TomWright

Incidentally I am one of 'those guys' who did/does photo-realistic Miiverse pictures by checking out images in Photoshop and then painstakingly copying them pixel-by-pixel on to the gamepad. I'm loving how Art Academy is getting me back into 'proper' art, as I used to draw a lot but haven't done anything resembling an actual paper and pencil drawing in a loooong time. Also, having the ability to save your images and come back to them later is an absolute god-send - beforehand, if I was working on something pretty complicated I'd have to leave the Wii U on overnight and pray the wifi didn't cut out. Not anymore! :D

Muku

Just saw a post from Si. He got the message that he has too many things saved and couldn't save his current one. Someone pointed out the manual says you can only save 12 images at a time. I'm not that far fortunately, but I wouldn't have read the manual until I got to that point either. I never look at digital manuals (but love paper manuals for some reason). So not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you have 12 things in your portfolio already, might need to delete something to make room. Kind of disappointing. Wish it was based more on space you have available.

Top Bottom