• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Academy: SketchPad |OT|

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I see a common theme on that artist's page. =)
He's good:
zlCfzRFMSZwcDzPo5R

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYIHAAABAADRUV6gnLWygg

Exile20

Wow. They should make an official competition with a prize to win for the drawing with the most votes. People would promote their arts on facebook, twitter, etc. to get the most support.

If Nintendo was smart they should have competitions every month and the winner gets like $10 or if they really want to make a splash, $50 on their eshop balance. Less than peanuts plus art academy already cost maybe $5 and the person still has to buy something on the eshop store to use the balance so the money never left the ecosystem.

This would drum up a lot of interest in the system from artist.

If Nintendo was smart they should have competitions every month and the winner gets like $10 or if they really want to make a splash, $50 on their eshop balance. Less than peanuts plus art academy already cost maybe $5 and the person still has to buy something on the eshop store to use the balance so the money never left the ecosystem.

This would drum up a lot of interest in the system from artist.

Yeah, e-shop vouchers would be a double win for Nintendo and Users.

Ok, is it weird that I want to get this, yet I've had photoshop and a tablet for YEARS and have barely ever attempted freehand digital drawing?

Baleoce

Ok, is it weird that I want to get this, yet I've had photoshop and a tablet for YEARS and have barely ever attempted freehand digital drawing?

Probably because this has a sense of community as the cherry on top. Makes it more compelling :)

marc^o^

The GamePad works so well for drawing. Nintendo made a terrible mistake not to include Artwork, the best party game from Game & Wario, with every systems.

marc^o^

Some details about the app in this review:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/35149

Before you draw, you can choose a picture to inspire you and this will be shown on the television. You can also just go completely blank, if you have your own ideas to pursue.  After this, you choose the materials you will draw on with an additional option to pre-color the background. When you are finished setting up, you use various tools like pencils, colored pencils and pastels. These options are actually quite appealing to just toy around and have fun with. For closer details, you can zoom in and out on the painting. When you are done with your art, you can send it off to Miiverse or save it to an SD Card to post it elsewhere. If you are running out of time, you can also just save it for later and continue to draw when you are ready.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Holy fuck MiiVerse needs its own version of http://drawception.com/. (the social telephone/drawing game)

It could really be a killer app, especially with a Nintendo theme.

Back to topic some of these MiiVerse drawings are amazing!

I cannot wait to see what some of the people who had a very technical mastery over the black and while miiverse draw tool does with this if they take their time to make something special

hopefully not so much Moe Anime boobs

but hey my first drawing is still Wonder Pink

majik13

damn these are pretty amazing...so is this app just for miiverse drawings?

and it can be used anytime in miiverse?
even if you are in the middle of a game?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Compared to Photoshop (which is primarily just straightforward digital art), these tools also try to mimic natural media much more (closer to something like Painter), which could be much more appealing.

Let us also not forget the fact that a WiiU + Art Academy SketchPad is cheaper than some forms of Photoshop itself, lol.

Add all that ontop of a nice community that generally seems friendly (Unlike many communities that now have negative outlooks, like Deviantart) and very much game / "nerd culture" related (Fanart isn't "a lower form of art" here... it's the favorite!), and yeah... Nintendo has something pretty special and nice, here.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Those are some absolutely amazing drawings. Just to double check, can you view these pictures without downloading the app? Also, can you still have text/black and white replies in the Art Academy community without the app? Thanks.

Somnid

Those are some absolutely amazing drawings. Just to double check, can you view these pictures without downloading the app? Also, can you still have text/black and white replies in the Art Academy community without the app? Thanks.

They are attached as screenshots to normal Miiverse posts in the Art Academy community.

You don't need the app to view them. Not sure about your other question.

Top Bottom