• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art film???? Worst experiences or movies you've ever seen.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Sometimes this genre wants to pretend that because it is done with an ''artistic'' style or that many characters remain silent for a long time or some other reason they are considered...''art''.

I remembered that I once saw this disgusting movie... And I still don't understand, apart from its animation style, why it is considered artistic... What a disgusting movie.

I don't know how there are people who give it stars and awards, if it is a movie sleeping pill.

Do you have your ''artistic'' film that is mediocre or did not meet your expectations?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I walked out of Love and Friendship (Kate Beckinsale). That and the first or second Captain America are the only movies I walked out of.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Another movie that I considered mediocre is this.

I understand that an artistic film shows philosophical issues and a point of view on life... But this film, apart from being boring, has too many dialogues without impact, no action and fast scenes... Very boring.

And this mediocre film.

cp848XC.jpeg

There will be more, but those are the ones I remember the worst.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge, wordt theatre experience ever. What a piece of shit.
I never saw that movie, but I did see the trailer and commercials... From then on I wanted to retire.

That and the Chicago movie... I don't like that movie 😂

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Baz Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge, wordt theatre experience ever. What a piece of shit.
I never watched the movie but I remember loving the trailer. It is extremely over the top but has fantastic editing and music. Basically set the blueprint for trailers to come.

Heimdall_Xtreme

If we talk about movies that have taken effort and time to make... The most recent is the uninteresting and overrated movie... Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Freedom...

What a garbage movie.

4B2dAvI.jpeg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I really didn't get what all the fuss was about with this film. The plot just wasn't there. Kid from a rough background turns to adult. Becomes comfortable with being gay and sells drugs. That's it. It wasn't the worst film I've ever seen, but Oscar worthy? No.

MV5BNzQxNTIyODAxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzQyMDA3OTE@._V1_.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

I really didn't get what all the fuss was about with this film. The plot just wasn't there. Kid from a rough background turns to adult. Becomes comfortable with being gay and sells drugs. That's it. It wasn't the worst film I've ever seen, but Oscar worthy? No.

MV5BNzQxNTIyODAxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzQyMDA3OTE@._V1_.jpg
requiem for a dream... That one is much better. That is a good movie.

Moonlight is puke.

Nonehxc

Never walked out, but...

4 young adults full of energy knocked out cold, 2 on the bed and 2 on the carpet when watching Catwoman, yes, that Catwoman.

We had the sweetest nap 😴 😴

Whenever me, my wife and my wife’s son watch the newest A24-produced, genre-redefining, trope-subverting, atmospheric, dark and eerie, emotionally draining, gut wrenching, aesthetically heavy craft by post-horror auteur with an arthouse edge, dread-inducing, suspenseful build up with strong character development and gradual feeling of escalation, bone-chilling slow burn with “say more with less” approach and soul-shaking, blood-curdling, skin-crawling and nerve-wracking exercise in persistently looming dread where tension and anxiety permeates every frame as movie reaches its nail-biting, jaw-clenching and paranoia-inducing final climax, free of any cheap gore, cartoonish CGI or infantile jumpscares horror film.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
My Dad used to bring me to art house theaters starting at maybe age 5/7.

I saw Kurasawa’s “Ran” when I was 7 I think in the theater.

Honestly I enjoyed them as a kid but never checked any out since so don’t really have bad experience to report.

There was this one movie that had SOOOO many dongs in it. Really shaped my childhood.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I like most of Aronofsky's stuff but not this one

MV5BMTU5OTczMTcxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDg3MTEzMw@@._V1_.jpg

Boring and super pretentious is what it felt to me.

This was also a miss with me. That middle part in the woods jesus christ.

MV5BOGIyZTdiYTctMGMzYi00Y2I4LThmNDYtN2M3MTkwZjMzOTJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU2NDgzODU@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Oh and a classic arthouse movie that is beloved but I hated everything about it, the look, the story, the acting. It felt like a parody of a 70s European movie but we are supposed to take it seriously.

1fcdb3eba900d24e4d4fa9443854a3da.jpg

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Funny. My best theater experience ever and also me and my wife's favorite film ever. Love Baz, but I do 10000% understand how its an either love it or hate it film.

tommib

Suspiria (2018)

What in the McGuffin was all that projectile vomit at the end there? And I don't think that the film community gives a sack of shit about this film either. Lost in the anals of wank history.
I kind of didn’t like it much apart from the visuals and music when I first saw it in a theatre but I watched it again recently at home with my partner and we were both totally in awe. Film is completely magical and I was even crying at the end with the story of the old man. I didn’t even remember that parallel storyline.

I think it’s Luca’s best film now. The gory ending and the frame jumping doubles down on the nightmarish fever dream that it is. It looks like how I remember nightmares. Fuzzy, out of focus, bloody. I totally get what they were going for.

I kind of didn’t like it much apart from the visuals and music when I first saw it in a theatre but I watched it again recently at home with my partner and we were both totally in awe. Film is completely magical and I was even crying at the end with the story of the old man. I didn’t even remember that parallel storyline.

I think it’s Luca’s best film now. The gory ending and the frame jumping doubles down on the nightmarish fever dream that it is. It looks like how I remember nightmares. Fuzzy, out of focus, bloody. I totally get what they were going for.
Maybe I'll give it a second chance. I was a different person back then, anyway. I'll use my third eye this time.

Billbofet

aELXbbf.jpeg

It has been a long time, but I recall hating this movie more than any other movie I had seen up to that point.
Awful people being awful to each other. Hate this kind of bullshit, but anything with excruciating trauma gets critical acclaim.
It has all the hallmarks: divorcing parents, selfish people, cerebral dialogue of which nobody talks like, professors, mental child abuse, and all in New York City!!!!

Trogdor1123

One of the girls I was seeing in university had a friend into these kind of films. I’d tag along with the two of them and just bring a magazine. I don’t think I watched a single one more than a couple minutes. Terrible things.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Look, I live in Mexico, we have movies with good stories with drama... And I won't speak badly... But seriously, this shitty movie from my country, I saw it 4 or 5 times in different years to know the art and I confirm that it is a shit movie.

Temporada de patos.

Está película es una mentada de madre.

This movie is a piece of shit.

BU57lF7.jpeg

And to make everything worse... It is affiliated with Warner bros 🤦🤦.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

aELXbbf.jpeg

It has been a long time, but I recall hating this movie more than any other movie I had seen up to that point.
Awful people being awful to each other. Hate this kind of bullshit, but anything with excruciating trauma gets critical acclaim.
It has all the hallmarks: divorcing parents, selfish people, cerebral dialogue of which nobody talks like, professors, mental child abuse, and all in New York City!!!!

yoooo all sorts of bad takes up in here

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Charlie Kaufman is one of the great screenwriters. Eternal Sunshine, Adaptation, Being John Malkovich…

Anomalisa is a good movie too.
What are some other good “artistic” films? I need something to watch tonight lol

dsp

I will fight you. It is one of my favorite movies. How dare you.

e765d198-5f99-4a00-9402-a5fcb754cdc0-VPC_GRETA_THUNBERG_EMOTIONAL_DESK_THUMB.jpg

My answer is Enter The Void. I've only seen it once and I don't remember it being a bad movie, however, I do remember that there were about 30 minutes of these endless panning (I can't remember what the real name of the shot is) shots that really annoyed me. Incredible opening title sequence. I should watch it again to get a better perspective. Might not be bothered by those shots on a second viewing.

I'm a huge PTA fan but I did not like Magnolia when I saw it. I'll have to give it another watch though because who the fuck really knows. The Master might be the greatest cleverly disguised comedy I've ever seen. Inherent Vice is 10/10 too. Maybe I should watch Magnolia again before I trash another man's work on the internet. It's all a bit rude, isn't it?

dsp

Haha that’s pretty broad! Try Barry Lyndon by Stanley Kubrick. Underwatched masterpiece.

I still haven't watched it and I've seen everything else he's done, some of his movies at least a dozen or more times. I've seen clips and art from Barry Lyndon and its all stunningly beautiful. Not sure what's kept me at bay. I can remember having a rental of it about 20 years ago but I didn't make it very long into it. Gotta get back on that one.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I still haven't watched it and I've seen everything else he's done, some of his movies at least a dozen or more times. I've seen clips and art from Barry Lyndon and it’s all stunningly beautiful. Not sure what's kept me at bay. I can remember having a rental of it about 20 years ago but I didn't make it very long into it. Gotta get back on that one.
Let me know what you think!

Reactions: dsp

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Haha that’s pretty broad! Try Barry Lyndon by Stanley Kubrick. Underwatched masterpiece.
Damn, you had to pick a 3+ hour movie on a Wednesday? I guess I’m starting it early enough lol

dsp

boring and uninteresting.

I haven't seen that one but I thought Terrence Malick's directing style made The New World a great movie. I think it was Christopher Plummer who said (and it didn't sound approving) that Terrence was always sort of running away from the script, sort of lollygagging and filming any sort of thing he wanted in the wild but, in my opinion, those scenes really make that movie. These men really stepped into a new world, far from the constraints and shackles of their old lives in Europe, far from their loyalties to ancient hierarchies, far from the never ending industrialization, far from the constant masking.

Last edited:

Ra\/en

I might get a lot of flak for this, but "the killing of a sacred deer" just bored the crap out of me. It didn't resonate with me at all. Too bad...
The_Killing_of_a_Sacred_Deer.png

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Whenever me, my wife and my wife’s son watch the newest A24-produced, genre-redefining, trope-subverting, atmospheric, dark and eerie, emotionally draining, gut wrenching, aesthetically heavy craft by post-horror auteur with an arthouse edge, dread-inducing, suspenseful build up with strong character development and gradual feeling of escalation, bone-chilling slow burn with “say more with less” approach and soul-shaking, blood-curdling, skin-crawling and nerve-wracking exercise in persistently looming dread where tension and anxiety permeates every frame as movie reaches its nail-biting, jaw-clenching and paranoia-inducing final climax, free of any cheap gore, cartoonish CGI or infantile jumpscares horror film.
I hate 80's shlock like Freddy and Jason too.

Top Bottom