• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art film???? Worst experiences or movies you've ever seen.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Black Swan. Portman’s performance is terrific, but the movie is terrible.

Tezuka’s Metropolis is probably the most soporific movie I’ve ever watched (or not, since I couldn’t stay awake in front of it if my life depended on it).

Melancholia is absolute trash.

If Blade Runner is an art film, well, I never got what makes it special. It has some superb shots and a couple of legendary quotes, but it’s slow, it’s confusing, and Ford makes his absolute best to make you not want to see it.

Oh yeah, and 5 centimeters per second is one of my go-to examples for the expression “a waste of time”. There is very little that you can do that could be a more egregious waste of your time on this planet as watching this completely useless waste of human energy. I even watched it a second time to “get” it. Nope, there’s nothing to get here. I’d rather raw dog a flight if 5CPS was the in-flight feature movie.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I love violin and when my wife and I were first dating i got us tickets to what I thought was an orchestral rendition of Vivaldi's 4 seasons. It turned out to be interpretive dance done to Vivaldi's 4 Seasons. It was horrible.and my level of disappointment was immense. All I could say was , "I am so, so sorry." The only way I can describe it is do you remember the south park where they do the interpretive dance for the Christmas show but they don't want to offend anyone? Picture that but to 4 seasons...
I like orchestral concerts, rock, theater and dance... I wouldn't see it as bad.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Black Swan. Portman’s performance is terrific, but the movie is terrible.

Tezuka’s Metropolis is probably the most soporific movie I’ve ever watched (or not, since I couldn’t stay awake in front of it if my life depended on it).

Melancholia is absolute trash.

If Blade Runner is an art film, well, I never got what makes it special. It has some superb shots and a couple of legendary quotes, but it’s slow, it’s confusing, and Ford makes his absolute best to make you not want to see it.

Oh yeah, and 5 centimeters per second is one of my go-to examples for the expression “a waste of time”. There is very little that you can do that could be a more egregious waste of your time on this planet as watching this completely useless waste of human energy. I even watched it a second time to “get” it. Nope, there’s nothing to get here. I’d rather raw dog a flight if 5CPS was the in-flight feature movie.
I saw 5 cm per second and metropolis...

I did like them for the plot and the art, I loved metropolis for having serious themes and in honor of ozamu tetsuka.

But that feeling happened to me with a shitty movie, This....

xJWuADj.jpeg

The same thing happened to me, I thought I didn't understand it...

I saw it 4 times in different years, because I thought it needed more judgment.

When I saw it again 1 month ago, I confirmed it...

It's a shitty movie and I hate it, there's nothing artistic about it, other than that silly detail of being black and white.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is usually looked back on fondly as "when Marvel was good", what happened?
I just never clicked with any of the Marvel movies. Didn't like the first Iron Man or Avengers either. The productions always felt cheap / fake with famous Hollywood celebrities reading dialogue focus grouped for children.

BlackTron

I just never clicked with any of the Marvel movies. Didn't like the first Iron Man or Avengers either. The productions always felt cheap / fake with famous Hollywood celebrities reading dialogue focus grouped for children.

I mean if you didn't like Iron Man 1 it makes sense. I thought you were singling out Cap as some of the worst Marvel lol

Durien

Gold Member
Oh I love concerts and theater. However I thought I was going to hear an orchestra play. There was no orchestra and I got south park...

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I’m a total film nerd and spend most of my time watching stuff from the 40s, 50s, experimental 60s French avantgarde. I even love late stage Godard but I can’t for the life of me put myself through a Tarkovski film. And I love slow cinema!

I also watch a lot of that stuff, I mean Last Year at Marienbad is another one in my top-5.

Do you enjoy Bergman? I think Tarkovski has more in common with him than with Russian cinema generally speaking.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Can I ask why? Genuine question

Well first of all I love the theme, I even read the novel (A Roadside Picnic). I also really appreciated the cinematography which is absolutely awesome just like most Tarkovski movies (Solaris is great too). I thought it was masterfully edited and framed. The interesting dialogues and general weirdness kept me invested throughout. I don't know man it just spoke to me. Other top movies for me are Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Sergio Leone's westerns, a lot of Kubrick (especially 2001), and some 60-70s French and Italian stuff.

I'm not looking for a fight!

Catch me outside, how about that?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Possibly an unpopular opinion, if not uncommon, Schindler's List.

Watched part of it at the theater with a gf. The B&W art film stylizing took away from the subject.
We looked at each other a few times, went for a smoke break about 40 minutes in(this was when smoking was allowed in the lobby), had a chat about it, then went back in to grip the armrests in effort to keep quiet for a little while longer before we left and got refunds.

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Anomalisa is dope, I wouldn't even consider that one particularly avant garde, you might just be basic.

I can definitely think of some pretentious art films that did nothing for me. Alejandro Jodorowsky's movies have some beautiful visuals but are just just stream-of consciousness nonsense. I don't know what the fuck Skinamarink was. I've always thought the third act of 2001: A Space Odyssey was a dumb exercise in fart sniffing.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Darren Aronofsky is very hit and miss, he makes an interesting movie then he makes movies like Noah and Mother!
I like Mother! but I get why people don't. Noah is awful but it's kind of a special sort of awful that's almost majestic. I like it for the same reason I like Moonfall.

Possibly an unpopular opinion, if not uncommon, Schindler's List.

Watched part of it at the theater with a gf. The B&W art film stylizing took away from the subject.
We looked at each other a few times, went for a smoke break about 40 minutes in(this was when smoking was allowed in the lobby), had a chat about it, then went back in to grip the armrests in effort to keep quiet for a little while longer before we left and got refunds.

angry black snake moan GIF

Audiophile

I really liked it up until the last 20mins or so when cartoons started playing in windshields, the dance bit went off the rails and the bit where he's speaking/singing on stage as an old man.

The conversations in the car were really engaging and the constant wiper droning on almost made it hypnotic. Then all that pretentious crap at the end just wrecked it. Have no clue what they were thinking.

Love by Gaspar Noe. It's about a couple arguing for 2hrs. A friend of mine recommended it to me - I never trusted his movie recommendations again after that.

Top Bottom