• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-Art Style- |OT| Simple. Fun. Stylish.

I love the Art Style (and Bit Generation) Games. I bought and played Penta Tentacles, but I don't think that there is much to it. Can't wait for Light Trax tho!

Nuclear Muffin said:
I just got light trax. OMG sooo good, feels like f-zero mixed with audiosurf. Best results screen music ever :D

Definitely one of the best in the series (but why no multiplayer!?), right up there with PicoPict, Cubello and Orbient!
Now why did you have to mention f-zero to me?? Now I have to buy it you bastard!!

Hopefully it'll be out in Europe soon.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Great OP, really nice work.

I love the Art Style series. Just purchased Penta Tentacles tonight and really like it. Another great addition to the series.

Orbient, Rotohex and Cubello, have liked all three of them. Wiiware has been a great service for me. Some superb games on there and they compliment and differ enough from many of the retail titles. Great stuff.

BARKSTAR

Banned
What has been the general opinion of the series on a whole with regard to each console?

I thought I would have prefered the Art Style series on the DSi regarding the portable nature of them but I have prefered the games on the Wii to be honest. Just found the home console games more appealing for some reason.

What's your favourite on Wii and also on DSi?

zigg

BARKSTAR said:
What has been the general opinion of the series on a whole with regard to each console?

I thought I would have prefered the Art Style series on the DSi regarding the portable nature of them but I have prefered the games on the Wii to be honest. Just found the home console games more appealing for some reason.

What's your favourite on Wii and also on DSi?

I think both my platform favorites are also concepts that really demand the platform they're on—Cubello (shooting cubes with the Wii Remote) and Boxlife (cutting boxes out of the roll). That said, a number of others would be really rather interchangeable, and I would probably tend to prefer them on DSi, primarily because I do prefer portable gaming on the whole.

Though Orbient I'd take anywhere, provided I had a great pair of headphones with me for portable.

Provider

Excelent thread!.

zigg said:
I think both my platform favorites are also concepts that really demand the platform they're on—Cubello (shooting cubes with the Wii Remote) and Boxlife (cutting boxes out of the roll). That said, a number of others would be really rather interchangeable, and I would probably tend to prefer them on DSi, primarily because I do prefer portable gaming on the whole.

Though Orbient I'd take anywhere, provided I had a great pair of headphones with me for portable.

Exactly how I feel.

I havn't downloaded Rotohex, I think that's the only one missing in my collection.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Out of the Dsi titles I have I never gave Boxlife a try so I will give that a go based on it using the systems interface. Like yourself I also liked Cubello in that it was the title that used the Wii interface so well as opposed to the other games. Game would just not work to the same standard without it.

Oxx

I was looking through the gameplay records on the Nintendo Channel last week and saw that I have only played Rotohex for about half an hour. I felt bad.

i don't like cubello because when you get near the end of the level you still get all the colours coming up, unlike something like puzzle bobble which narrows it down to colours you haven't eliminated. kind of needlessly frustrating.

stuminus3

Art Style is the precise reason Nintendo-hating "hardcore" dudes can suck my balls. Not Mario Galaxy. Not Zelda. Art Style.

I with they wouldn't keep changing the names for different regions though, I find it hard sometimes to know if someone is talking about a game I've played or not. :lol

Art Style fans should make sure they're checking out the Bit.Trip games on WiiWare, too. All four of them are incredible.

345triangle said:
i don't like cubello because when you get near the end of the level you still get all the colours coming up, unlike something like puzzle bobble which narrows it down to colours you haven't eliminated. kind of needlessly frustrating.

The trick is to let the Cubello hit you. When it hits you, you lose the next three pieces from your ammunition clip.

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Which one should I pick up first?

Orbient was the first for most of us, and it's also one of the most loved.

also, Rotozoa is out today in North america. Everyone go and download it!

Art Style: Rotozoa™
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 600 Wii Points™
Description: Control a circular creature-like organism known as a rotozoan and nimbly make your way through level after level of primordial ooze. Comprised of only three distinct parts (colored sides, tentacles and life force), the focus of your rotozoan life is simple: grow your tentacles. After playing a few levels and learning the basics of your microscopic world, you begin to unlock additional modes of play and the ability to choose the number of tentacles on your rotozoan. Each mode has its own specific purpose: reach a particular length with your tentacles or grow them to the greatest length possible. In either mode, growing your tentacles means absorbing enemies known as goobugs by touching them. There's just one catch: Successfully absorbing a goobug depends on matching its color to your tentacle. Also, longer tentacles can more easily come in contact with incorrectly colored goobugs (causing damage to the tentacle and decreasing your life force), and the goobugs themselves multiply and begin adapting to your movement. Luckily, objects such as the restorative heart item and special attack-enabling cyclone item can be found floating in the ooze to help your rotozoan survive. With atmospheres ranging from peaceful to intensely challenging, Art Style: Rotozoa offers a wide variety of levels. Victory can only be achieved through quick, precise movement and the ability to remain calm under pressure. Are you ready to take on the goobugs? Games in the Art Style series feature elegant design, polished graphics and pick-up-and-play controls, creating an experience focused purely on fun and engaging game play.

OMG! I just beat art style: Rotozoa with 100% right now! Finally!!!!! according to the Nintendo Channel my total playtime is 24 hours and 59 minutes. Whew! Most of the time is spent on trying to get 100% on the final stage. Man, the final stage is hard on the higher difficulty levels. I'm so glad it's finally done and over with though. Soooo happy!:D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mockingbird said:
OMG! I just beat art style: Rotozoa with 100% right now! Finally!!!!! according to the Nintendo Channel my total playtime is 24 hours and 59 minutes. Whew! Most of the time is spent on trying to get 100% on the final stage. Man, the final stage is hard on the higher difficulty levels. I'm so glad it's finally done and over with though. Soooo happy!:D
as one OCDee to another - good job! now try light trax ;p

seady

I forgot which Bit Generation game was the best on the GBA, and is there a Wii/DS conversion of that game?

Shiggy

seady said:
I forgot which Bit Generation game was the best on the GBA, and is there a Wii/DS conversion of that game?

Yes, they made a sequel to dotstream: light trax (Wii) !?

blu

GhaleonQ said:
How awesome are Skip? So awesome.
actually, way more than that.

Mockingbird said:
already got 100% on that too. It took less than six hours. :D
now tell me a sountrack playback mode awaits me at the end!

blu said:
actually, way more than that.

now tell me a sountrack playback mode awaits me at the end!

Sort of. You get a BGM select option when you race in all modes, which is better than nothing, I suppose.

blu

Mockingbird said:
Sort of. You get a BGM select option when you race in all modes, which is better than nothing, I suppose.
that will do just fine. thanks.

blu

holy munchkins, batman! at radiata. i'm officially giving up after a whole evening of trying to 100% it. ok, skip, you win, bastards.

Platy said:
This dude posted the entirely Light Trax soundtrack on youtube .... 20 musics ... but the name don't seem to make sense ...
When you unlock the freeway mode, you can listen to all of the music and these are the real names indeed.

polly

Neo Member
I have just found the final level OMEGA.This game is absolutly my favourite.I got very stuck but found a site in japanese-you can google translate-to help me out.The translations are a bit weird but check out the spoiler section.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
How good would it be if Nintendo bundled all the Art Style games on one disk for the Wii ones (or one DS cart for the DSI ones)? I still don't have any way to play DSI games :(

djtiesto said:
How good would it be if Nintendo bundled all the Art Style games on one disk for the Wii ones (or one DS cart for the DSI ones)? I still don't have any way to play DSI games :(

You will once you get a 3DS! Speaking of which, this week, the Nintendo e-shop has a special art style section up. Good to see they've not been forgotten.

Digidrive and Pictobits also have trailers up in their sections as well. Not sure why only those two have trailers and not the rest though.

Slightly disappointed to not see any original Art Style coming to the 3DS eShop on the recent Q1/Q2 release list. They have to be in development, right? RIGHT?! OH GOD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THEY'RE COMING. I can't even imagine how Skip would go about adding stereoscopic visuals to their brilliant and elegantly simplistic puzzler sensibilities.

Well I can imagine a Cubello sequel being completely amazing in 3D.

Sinthetic

Perfect time to ask this really, after playing and LOVING Pushmo, I am after another great puzzler, naturally I'm thinking of Pictobits, is the difficulty curve friendly?

Perfect time to ask this really, after playing and LOVING Pushmo, I am after another great puzzler, naturally I'm thinking of Pictobits, is the difficulty curve friendly?
Yes. The game really works you by world 6/7 ish, but it's a comfortable climb.

Dark world however, fuck those stages.

wow, still no Penta Tentacles?
I finally tried it out. Honestly, weakest of all ArtStyle/bitGeneration games.

Sinthetic

Yes. The game really works you by world 6/7 ish, but it's a comfortable climb.

Dark world however, fuck those stages.

I finally tried it out. Honestly, weakest of all ArtStyle/bitGeneration games.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated, it looks really good to me.

Yes Boss!

Slightly disappointed to not see any original Art Style coming to the 3DS eShop on the recent Q1/Q2 release list. They have to be in development, right? RIGHT?! OH GOD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THEY'RE COMING. I can't even imagine how Skip would go about adding stereoscopic visuals to their brilliant and elegantly simplistic puzzler sensibilities.

Well I can imagine a Cubello sequel being completely amazing in 3D.

I'm sure they are coming.

I'd love a 3D version of Dotstream!

Orbital is my favorite (Wii and GBA versions)...so class.

Shiggy

I finally bought Penta Tentacles and it's a great audio-visual experience. I think it's one of the better Art Style titles on WiiWare, I think only light trax is better. The controls feel so tight with the SNES Classic Controller and while later levels are hard, they are never frustrating.

This is finally a game where even I enjoy the endless mode.

But my god I must reiterate that the AS Light Trax freeway mode (once all sections of the freeway are connected and you unlock the option to have it cycle through all the game's music randomly) is without a doubt one of the finest endless modes in any game

EVER

THIS IS A FACT

The subtleties and depth involved in walking the line between safety and speed, up and down-shifting while gunning for high scores is nothing short of brilliant. Doesn't hurt to have one of the finest game soundtracks in the last decade along for the ride.

This game will never get its due

blu

But my god I must reiterate that the AS Light Trax freeway mode (once all sections of the freeway are connected and you unlock the option to have it cycle through all the game's music randomly) is without a doubt one of the finest endless modes in any game

EVER

THIS IS A FACT

The subtleties and depth involved in walking the line between safety and speed, up and down-shifting while gunning for high scores is nothing short of brilliant. Doesn't hurt to have one of the finest game soundtracks in the last decade along for the ride.

This game will never get its due
Amen.

On the topic of Light Trax, I thought I might just throw down the gauntlet. Anyone have a higher top score than this in freeway mode (all freeway sections linked)?
HNI_0035.jpg

Top Bottom