• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

jasonng

is he the guy from I Saw the Devil? I love that movie. Ugh. It's so much fun.

Also YES. He is very delicious. yes yesyes.
I wouldn't exactly categorize that movie as "fun" but it's definitely great. I would say The Good The Bad & The Weird is a fun movie.

Contributing to Asian Food-Gaf. Went yum cha with my Grandma today.

I don't know why the restaurant had their lights dimmed, but the food was good.

My friends and I went dim sum yesterday and we tried the durian pastry. The reactions were definitely mixed.

Fun fact, for the longest time I've always known it as yum cha. I didn't know what the hell dim sum was until after I started hanging out with my college friends and dim sum was trending.

I wouldn't exactly categorize that movie as "fun" but it's definitely great. I would say The Good The Bad & The Weird is a fun movie.

My friends and I went dim sum yesterday and we tried the durian pastry. The reactions were definitely mixed.

Fun fact, for the longest time I've always known it as yum cha. I didn't know what the hell dim sum was until after I started hanging out with my college friends and dim sum was trending.

Yea, we someone at the table brought out the durian cakes. I was not pleased with the smell.

Also, I also give a thumbs on The Good, The bad and the weird.

YOU ARE BACKKKK. YOU ARE BACK BACK BACKKK <3

/pounceglomp

Ahem.

*glomptackleswheeeeeeee

XD XD ahem

*resumes serious face

Yeah, I've been sort of away lately. Too much gaming, not enough gaffing~ ^3^

I miss you though buuuuuuuuuuunbuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnsssss <3 I always look forward to your posts/threads/awesomeness <3 So even if im not posting, I actually check in! o7

ok ok. that's enough bunnylove for now XD wheeeeeeeeeeeee~

Slermy

I used to eat rice just with soy sauce no lie. My cousin used ketchup instead lol.

I grew up putting ketchup on rice if there wasn't anything else substantial to go with it. I always figured it was a weird thing my family did.

Much to my surprise, when I met my SO, I found that they also did it.

On "moe", I guess im a bit late, but collectors are whatevs. Their money, their spending.

But the culture of "moe" is more what I've got loads of judgments against. If they are all just innocent, cutey stuff, I think I wouldnt have so much problems against it, but they are usually very sexualised. Pantyshots are a par-the-course with most of moe fandom, and that's just the .... uh tip of the iceberg. Things go more explicit super fast and super loose from there :x

I just dont quite get the obsession with sexualising child-looking characters (whichever gender).

Yeah, the "Swiss Moe Man" didn't really bother me... until I saw the "panty mask". That certainly raised a few eyebrows. WTF is that?

There's an extra helping of food talk in this thread.

I guess I'll try to change the subject. I see an increase of New Asian members at my gym. Which is pretty cool because Asians actually have quite a majority at my gym.

The additional members just adds to our numbers.

Gotta represent.

Speaking of fitness, my wife and I just had our first weigh in since starting our new diet the first Monday of the year. She's always been big and I've let myself go and gained a lot of weight in 2014. In a way it's a good thing because she wants to lose weight but probably can't do it alone. So since I'm a fat ass now, we can do it together. I'm more experienced in this since I've lost a lot of weight in the past and I'm just more disciplined in general when it comes to keeping it up.

I suggested weighing in every 2 weeks so we can see a decent result every time we weigh in. My results were pretty good, hers were a little underwhelming but she didn't exercise much and only dieted. So I'm finally getting her to start that and try to gradually push her pace. We both have a very long way to go though so hopefully we'll both stay strong and reach our goals.

robox

I thought you had to get a visa if it was over 2 weeks, but not if it's under.

you can get a 72 hour transit visa when when you land at some of the major airports in china. then you don't need to get a visa beforehand. the stipulation is that you must have a flight ticket to another country within those 72 hours.

the visa for hong kong and taiwan is just a little slip of paper upon entry. no passport stamps. don't want mother china to find out you've been sneaking behind her back. go visit! they're both cool places.

cdyhybrid

I don't know what durian is and I intend to keep it that way. Every time I hear that word, the only thing that comes to mind is the second boss in Diablo 2.

Shengar

Of course!

And food is one of our best attributes :)
But I don't have traditional food nearby
Maybe I should buy noodle for dinner
Durian smells of one thing: deliciousness.

gag.gif

You're drunk.

Durian, the only fruit that split the Asian people taste lol

Darkatomz

Oh damn, we have an asian thread now? I guess that's what happens when you don't post for months.

Half HK, half Viet. Originally from Boston, have lived in NY, TX, and now residing in the Bay area in NorCal.

Studied engineering, business, and psych in school, and I use all three daily in my job. Ex-competitive swimmer, mix of intro/extro-verted. Basically, I am pretty weird as far as the stereotypical asian engineer goes. Some things fit perfectly, others not so much.

You'll run into me playing Destiny with some of the usual GAF crew from the UC2 days.

Rainy

Banned
Oh damn, we have an asian thread now? I guess that's what happens when you don't post for months.

Half HK, half Viet. Originally from Boston, have lived in NY, TX, and now residing in the Bay area in NorCal.

Studied engineering, business, and psych in school, and I use all three daily in my job. Ex-competitive swimmer, mix of intro/extro-verted. Basically, I am pretty weird as far as the stereotypical asian engineer goes. Some things fit perfectly, others not so much.

You'll run into me playing Destiny with some of the usual GAF crew from the UC2 days.

Hello fellow Norcaler (well at least for now, in your case)!

SRG01

Agreed. The only thing that is bettet than durian is fried durian ice cream. That shit is amazing.

You're drunk.

If I eat it, the smells don't bother me. But if i don't, it gives me headache

Apparently there are different varieties of durian with different scents.

To be honest, I thought it smelled bad when I was growing up, but I've come to realize that the smell is reminiscent of over-ripened bananas.

In time, I have grown to be ok with the smell and taste of durian.

Same with legit fermented tofu.

OMG I've never had fermented tofu before. I must eat this!

Welcome fellow Norcal Asian swimming engineer. Stay awhile and listen.

Also, durian is awesome.

Gibbo

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS I MUST HAVE IT.

GIVE IT TO ME

GIVE IT TO ME NOW

Can't find a good picture- but was first introduced to this in a hotel buffet here in Singapore. It basically is Durian ice cream (made from real D24 durians - none of that artificial crap) which is coated in tempura batter and then flash fried. Like i said , shit isn't supposed to turn out this good.

Tangeroo

My mom use to put durian in the fridge so I wouldn't dig for ice cream all the time.

Effective.

Hah, my mom went one step further. She mixed the durian into the ice-cream (typically vanilla bean) so I wouldn't eat the ice cream at all. I was the only one in the family that couldn't stand the smell/taste.

cdyhybrid

Have never been near durian in my life. Hm.

Me too, at least not knowingly. I had to Google it. Then again, I grew up in a very American household, despite my dad being full Chinese. That side of the family had been in Hawaii for generations before I was born, so we were thoroughly Americanized.

Rainy

Banned
Me too, at least not knowingly. I had to Google it. Then again, I grew up in a very American household, despite my dad being full Chinese. That side of the family had been in Hawaii for generations before I was born, so we were thoroughly Americanized.

Yeah same here for the most part. Except I'm Indian.

I called in a take-out order at the Chinese restaurant a little while ago and could barely hear the woman, when I arrived to pick it up I saw a little girl sitting at a table eating and when I went up to the counter the same little girl went to the counter and took my order. This took me by surprise. Is this common in Chinese restaurants?

SRG01

Hah, my mom went one step further. She mixed the durian into the ice-cream (typically vanilla bean) so I wouldn't eat the ice cream at all. I was the only one in the family that couldn't stand the smell/taste.

LOL I would've devoured that ice cream. Your mother is ingenious.

I called in a take-out order at the Chinese restaurant a little while ago and could barely hear the woman, when I arrived to pick it up I saw a little girl sitting at a table eating and when I went up to the counter the same little girl went to the counter and took my order. This took me by surprise. Is this common in Chinese restaurants?

Yes. A lot of people working at Chinese restaurants eat their lunch/dinner out in the tables instead of the back.

Shengar

The thing with durian is that uit smell fantastic when you're about to eat them but awfull in any other occasion. Fuck the assholes who brought that fruit in public transportation.

Yuck, I hate the smell of durian. My mom used to hate it, but after eating some durian candy, she developed a taste for that shit. I've tried it, and the does taste great, but the smell! It's like eating ass.

I was referring to the little girl part.

Asian business owners using their kids as free or very cheap labor? Never heard of that.

J/K, it's somewhat common from what I've seen. This Vietnamese restaurant that I use to go to, the owners had there kids there almost everyday since she was a baby. Eventually the kid got older and started helping out around the restaurant, when when she was 6 or 7 years old I guess. Besides that I have a co-worker who just bought a laundry mat with his brother in law. His brother in law is older than us and has 2 teenagers(16 and 14 I think). And he's been using them to help him run his other laundry mat for years and now they're helping with this one.

I have some other family and just other people I know that also owns a business and use their kids to help at a young age. Not sure how common it is with other minority groups, but I've seen it quite a bit with Asians.

Top Bottom