• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Sarye

I've got thick, wavy indian hair but j crew fiber is dope imo

you can mold with it, doesn't have a lot of residue or unnatural sheen, and you can remold your hair with it a little later if you have to. perfect for a busy day when you might want to have a certain hairstyle at work and another one later in the night.

review

Rad! That's pretty much the one I use except I use the forming cream version. I can't leave home without it. Otherwise I end up looking like a dork. =\

Seriously anyone that suffers from thin straight hair should look into using products like this.

I use a fork with rice. (*´>3<)

turkey-congee-rice-porridge.jpg

robox

fried rice: spoon
rice drowned in soup: spoon
clumpy rice on a plate with unwieldy courses, ie porkchop or chicken legs: fork
clumpy rice in a bowl: chopsticks

Eating rice with a spoon is frowned upon? How do you eat soon du bu then? All my Korean friends eat it with a spoon. I can't fathom switching between chopstick and spoon every bite...

Evening AsianGAF. I think I might started FFXIV (mmorpg) and give up WoW. Anyone here playing? I know GAF has a guild on Ultros so I rolled a toon there. Anyone have any feedback about it?

Named my girl Mazu Hulijing :D. FREE froyo topped with sick swag to anyone who gets the reference. You'll have to redeem the offer in so-cal though~

I quit WoW and played FF14 for a while. It feels fresh playing an MMO with different mechanics. And you appreciate these new ideas, but after a while it gets old. The game gets too grindy. Then I started missing WoW. There's something about WoW that draws me back. Nostalgia? Or maybe it's playing Hearthstone.

Esch

Banned
Rice etiquette is serious business. My family likes to do the whole hand eating thing with rice and curry and it has it's visceral, satisfying appeal but at the end of the day i just feel like using a fork.

suzu

Psh, as long as it's perfectly steamed jasmine rice, I don't care HOW it gets in my belly.

/heretic

Evening AsianGAF. I think I might started FFXIV (mmorpg) and give up WoW. Anyone here playing? I know GAF has a guild on Ultros so I rolled a toon there. Anyone have any feedback about it?

Named my girl Mazu Hulijing :D. FREE froyo topped with sick swag to anyone who gets the reference. You'll have to redeem the offer in so-cal though~

I like all the FF feels I get from it. o/ Just don't expect it to reinvent the wheel or have as much content as older MMOs yet. lol. The nice thing is that you don't have to roll a new alt when you want to play another class. Also this game is more PVE focused.. there's PVP, but it's kinda ehhhhhh.

Feel free to ask any questions or for help in the GAF free company (aka guild)! It's a mix of casual and hardcore players. Oh and my character's name is Riley Famran.

Nintendo doesn't need to make a Pokemon MMO. It makes huge profits from releasing their handheld games. The costs are significantly lower than creating an MMO world with servers to handle it.

So much easier making small upgrades each year and selling millions of copies.

I'd love to get into FFXIV, but subscription fee + PCs at my home aren't good enough for it, I think. :( Would have to wait till I get a PS4...which won't be till XV comes out lol. Will be waiting a while...

I'd love to get into FFXIV, but subscription fee + PCs at my home aren't good enough for it, I think. :( Would have to wait till I get a PS4...which won't be till XV comes out lol. Will be waiting a while...

Well...if you get hooked, typically people save money on the whole when playing MMO's.

I won't touch any MMO anymore. I spent way too much time on FFXI, and if the newer stuff is better than that (and all indications are that they are), I don't want to get even more addicted.

StMeph

If it makes sense for Nintendo to do it, they won't. Hence why there'll never be a Pokemon MMO.

Nintendo doesn't need to make a Pokemon MMO. It makes huge profits from releasing their handheld games. The costs are significantly lower than creating an MMO world with servers to handle it.

So much easier making small upgrades each year and selling millions of copies.

Iterating on the same game is probably more profitable than trying to enter the extremely risky MMO space. I don't doubt that a Pokemon MMO would be popular, but it's not nearly as safe as another handheld Pokemon title.

The closest thing I've seen to a Pokemon MMO was a F2P license-whoring thing that was using the SMT universe. The setting alone almost had me, but the game itself wasn't very compelling.

I won't touch any MMO anymore. I spent way too much time on FFXI, and if the newer stuff is better than that (and all indications are that they are), I don't want to get even more addicted.

XIV will never be better than XI. XI may seem like a Sisyphean grind to outsiders, but anyone who stuck around knows they earned everything in that game. XIV is a cakewalk tourist mode theme park by comparison.

FFXI uber alles.

XIV will never be better than XI. XI may seem like a Sisyphean grind to outsiders, but anyone who stuck around knows they earned everything in that game. XIV is a cakewalk tourist mode theme park by comparison.

FFXI uber alles.
So what you're saying is that FFXIV offers what FFXI does but also includes aspects of instant gratification in lieu of XI's grind for even the simplest advancement? Yeah. That sounds even more addicting to me.

And since your avatar is Valkyrie, you probably remember that I was hooked on PAD for the longest time, too. Never again.

BlueSteel

While we're on the subject of Final Fantasy

XIII. wtf.

PAD: Wow I spent so much on that... Like, more than 1.5 grand. Talk about a huge mistake.

Asians are bad writers????

:O

Didnt know this was stereotype..... Now that I've thought about it though, anime/manga fanfickers that I enjoy are mostly Asians and western tv series fanfickers that I enjoy are mostly non-Asians? Weird?????

Also. I can't MMO other than TERA anymore. TERA's combat system is the thing that really hooked me. Though its hypersexualised content sucks balls. But. Hey, they gotta make money and they know their cashcows. So I can't hate.

While we're on the subject of Final Fantasy

XIII. wtf.

PAD: Wow I spent so much on that... Like, more than 1.5 grand. Talk about a huge mistake.
I did get Dark Metatron, though. I don't know if she's even that good anymore.

Also, I liked FFXIII. Platinumed it (and XIII-2) and everything.

I played about 8 hours of XIII and that's all I could stomach... Game was way too linear and hand holdy.. It's a shame too because I thought combat was pretty cool in concept

TBH I can't think of the last time I truly enjoyed a JRPG..I guess X was the last FF I liked despite hating Tidus..

Erheller

I almost beat FFXIII, but my sister deleted my save file on accident.

I didn't like that game, so I have no idea why I played so far through it.

Maybe she should have deleted my save earlier.

i like XIII too.

it was fun. havent played XIII-2 though.
It's good. It's like a simplified, streamlined XIII with Pokemon aspects.

I haven't played Lightning Returns yet, though.

I played about 8 hours of XIII and that's all I could stomach... Game was way too linear and hand holdy.. It's a shame too because I thought combat was pretty cool in concept

TBH I can't think of the last time I truly enjoyed a JRPG..I guess X was the last FF I liked despite hating Tidus..
Yeah, it takes about 20 hours before XIII gets good.

But yeah, I also don't have as much fun with RPGs (or games that take a lot of time) anymore. I just don't have time for them. It's actually kind of odd; all the old selling points of games, like it taking 100+ hours to beat, is now a turn off for me. I love short games now. Heck, when I heard Ground Zeroes was only half an hour long, I liked that!

It's good. It's like a simplified, streamlined XIII with Pokemon aspects.

I haven't played Lightning Returns yet, though.

Yeah, it takes about 20 hours before XIII gets good.

But yeah, I also don't have as much fun with RPGs (or games that take a lot of time) anymore. I just don't have time for them. It's actually kind of odd; all the old selling points of games, like it taking 100+ hours to beat, is now a turn off for me. I love short games now. Heck, when I heard Ground Zeroes was only half an hour long, I liked that!

oooh cool. ive played all the FFs except the MMO ones. I mean to cover XIII-2 and lightning returns as well :>

actually i used to be a jRPG addict :x

Played most titles from Chronno Trigger onwards. Most FFs, Star Ocean, Persona, etc.

WAW

No time now. Must run dungeons all day erryday x____x;;;;

Rainy

Banned
Lightning Returns has by far and away the best battle system out of the three games. The quest/level up system isn't ideal though and the story leaves a lot to be desired. As do the graphics.

Lightning Returns has by far and away the best battle system out of the three games. The quest/level up system isn't ideal though and the story leaves a lot to be desired. As do the graphics.
This! LR's battle system is really fun, quite demanding for an FF (though it's sort of a spin-off, so I can see why they were bolder with it). Even after completing the game once and going through it in hard, I can't quite pull off Perfect Attacks 100% of the time, and I still need practice to Perfect Guard more often. I think the garb recovery rates could have been increased -- I know there are accessories/weapons that improve this, but they're not easily accessible -- and walking in battle could have been implemented better, but otherwise I thought the system was very unique.

Also have to agree that the quests and leveling system blow. The quests are terribly uninspired, pretty much taking the laziest approach by telling the player to kill this or find this in this specific location. It became a bit of a laundry list of things to do, a way of busying yourself while the world ends. I wish developers were more keen on writing story-relevant sidequests that don't necessarily involve such explicit to-do lists. Stuff like VII's Wutai sidequest was big, meaty, and offered a new location to explore while it delves into the background of Yuffie. As for Ruby and Emerald Weapon, I really liked how they were optional bosses that no NPC had to tell me I had to kill them for X reward. I just found them on my own, defeated them, and would have to figure out what the hell I do with a rose and a harp (I think those were the rewards...), only to recall that a certain Kalm traveler needed these items. It was a great endeavor that was neatly implemented in the world without some explicit laundry list telling me what I had to do and where I had to go. I feel like FF's regressed a lot in this sense. There's not nearly enough self-discovered sidequests in recent iterations as there were in the past. I don't think XV's gonna do much to change that, either. :(

I love FF regardless though. XV's looking pretty sweet, even if I'm not too keen on huge worlds (too much travel time, and they tend to be too empty for my liking).

This! LR's battle system is really fun, quite demanding for an FF (though it's sort of a spin-off, so I can see why they were bolder with it). Even after completing the game once and going through it in hard, I can't quite pull off Perfect Attacks 100% of the time, and I still need practice to Perfect Guard more often. I think the garb recovery rates could have been increased -- I know there are accessories/weapons that improve this, but they're not easily accessible -- and walking in battle could have been implemented better, but otherwise I thought the system was very unique.

Also have to agree that the quests and leveling system blow. The quests are terribly uninspired, pretty much taking the laziest approach by telling the player to kill this or find this in this specific location. It became a bit of a laundry list of things to do, a way of busying yourself while the world ends. I wish developers were more keen on writing story-relevant sidequests that don't necessarily involve such explicit to-do lists. Stuff like VII's Wutai sidequest was big, meaty, and offered a new location to explore while it delves into the background of Yuffie. As for Ruby and Emerald Weapon, I really liked how they were optional bosses that no NPC had to tell me I had to kill them for X reward. I just found them on my own, defeated them, and would have to figure out what the hell I do with a rose and a harp (I think those were the rewards...), only to recall that a certain Kalm traveler needed these items. It was a great endeavor that was neatly implemented in the world without some explicit laundry list telling me what I had to do and where I had to go. I feel like FF's regressed a lot in this sense. There's not nearly enough self-discovered sidequests in recent iterations as there were in the past. I don't think XV's gonna do much to change that, either. :(

I love FF regardless though. XV's looking pretty sweet, even if I'm not too keen on huge worlds (too much travel time, and they tend to be too empty for my liking).
I wish XV's combat was less Assassin's Creed (hold R1 and he does everything for you) and more Devil May Cry (actually fun). I'll even settle for Kingdom Hearts style combat.

mercviper

Haha what? Asians OT? Subbed.

I'm an ABC in Houston.

Does anybody here watch Fresh Off The Boat? My family bugged me to start so I caught a few clips and holy shit at the number of parallels to my childhood.

y2dvd

I was at my friend's bday dinner last night. This group are predominantly white. One of them had an asian girlfriend there and when we all took pics, she flashed up the cutsie peace sign. Why? I'm going to make a thumbs up a thing when taking pics.

Top Bottom