• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

SRG01

For white rice, I rinse it out until the water is clear, and I add about 1/2 to 2/3 asian-cup more water than rice.

y2dvd

Since we are talking about cooking here, if the instructions tells you to let it simmer for an hour and to stir occasionally, how often do you stir? Every 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Etc

SRG01

Wait what? Rice has to be simmered? Are you cooking that on a stove top or are you cooking something else?

Edit: if it's something else, every 5-10 mins is fine on medium heat.

I don't even eat rice anymore. Lower carb : x

What? Who cares about carbs? Tons of Asians eat rice without having to worry about being fat. I actually want to gain some weight, but no matter what I eat, I barely gain any. I'm still stuck at around 125 lbs. I eat tons of rice.

mercviper

Since we are talking about cooking here, if the instructions tells you to let it simmer for an hour and to stir occasionally, how often do you stir? Every 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Etc

If we're talking about cooking in general, it's probably so you don't have shit burnt and stuck to the bottom of your pot. So it'll depend in the type of pot you're using and what you have in it.

Erheller

For rice, I was always told to add 1.5 times the rice's volume in water. So 2 cups of rice would have 3 cups of water added to it.

What? Who cares about carbs? Tons of Asians eat rice without having to worry about being fat. I actually want to gain some weight, but no matter what I eat, I barely gain any. I'm still stuck at around 125 lbs. I eat tons of rice.

I know your pain, I'm only 95 pounds and cannot gain any weight :/

cdyhybrid

Unless you're really doing some in-depth training, you'll be fine eating a balanced diet (protein/fat/carbs) and counting your calories properly.

mercviper

All according to keikaku*.

Take pics!

*"Keikaku" means plan.
SIKBweO.jpg

I was unable to leave early enough before the deli section closed yesterday so I got it for lunch today. :D I was so excited I forgot to take pics before I started eating lol.

Fatty brisket with a side of baked potato salad and beans that I actually eat (normally don't like beans at all)

SRG01

I'm 5'7" and around 135 lbs. I was 115-120lbs for most of my 20s, and ballooned to 145/150 lbs during my last long term relationship. I literally gained 15-20 pounds during the span of 6-8 months. :lol

I might be able to help you with that. I went from 115 to 150 in about six months, and I was/am still a "hard gainer" who can't really put on weight. Let me know, and I can tell you what I did.

y2dvd

I was making spaghetti sauce lol. I simmered it to the lowest setting and stirred every 10 minutes for an hour. Not sure if that was too infrequent or not.

SRG01

I might be able to help you with that. I went from 115 to 150 in about six months, and I was/am still a "hard gainer" who can't really put on weight. Let me know, and I can tell you what I did.

I once tried protein drinks and whatnot, coupled with exercise, in an attempt to gain weight. I ended up losing weight and pooping all that protein out :(

I once tried protein drinks and whatnot, coupled with exercise, in an attempt to gain weight. I ended up losing weight and pooping all that protein out :(

Pretty much the same deal with me. I'm not trying to gain a massive amount of weight. Maybe an extra 5 pounds or so.

My height is 5'4" though. If you're taller than me, there's no reason why you wouldn't be heavier than me.

I'm 5'7" and around 135 lbs. I was 115-120lbs for most of my 20s, and ballooned to 145/150 lbs during my last long term relationship. I literally gained 15-20 pounds during the span of 6-8 months. :lol

Oh, well then. But still! Lol. I know more about you guys! Yeah! :D

I'm 5'11" at 148lbs.

SRG01, was it great relationship? :0

SRG01

Need to count your calories.

Can't count calories if all that happens is pooping it out :(

Pretty much the same deal with me. I'm not trying to gain a massive amount of weight. Maybe an extra 5 pounds or so.

Surprisingly enough, I didn't gain (muscle) weight until I stopped ballroom dancing and exercising regularly. It only happened with light exercise... sometimes I suspect that I didn't eat quite enough even with increased protein intake (stress didn't help either) which caused my body to atrophy quite a bit.

Oh, well then. But still! Lol. I know more about you guys! Yeah! :D

I'm 5'11" at 148lbs.

SRG01, was it great relationship? :0

It was great in the beginning, then ended in the worse way possible :p

Does anyone else here get a secret feelings of both thrill and guilt when y'all order a cheeseburger and a coke at a fast food joint?

Even now, when I eat at places, ordering a drink and sometimes even extras like cheese, make me feel bad, because as a kid I always got the plain cheeseburger (we're not paying 35cents more for cheese! We have it at home! If you want it we'll put a slice of it in your burger), and definitely no soft drinks ($1 for coke? We have it at home, you can buy it in the grocery store for ten cents!).

I'm willing to pay $5 for a cup of overpriced coffee, but I justify it as not being able to make it at home, but I can't pay $2 or $3 for a soft drink because I know I can buy it from a grocery store...

Your money, your rules now!

mercviper

Does anyone else here get a secret feelings of both thrill and guilt when y'all order a cheeseburger and a coke at a fast food joint?

Even now, when I eat at places, ordering a drink and sometimes even extras like cheese, make me feel bad, because as a kid I always got the plain cheeseburger (we're not paying 35cents more for cheese! We have it at home! If you want it we'll put a slice of it in your burger), and definitely no soft drinks ($1 for coke? We have it at home, you can buy it in the grocery store for ten cents!).

I'm willing to pay $5 for a cup of overpriced coffee, but I justify it as not being able to make it at home, but I can't pay $2 or $3 for a soft drink because I know I can buy it from a grocery store...

Well, I can't say that I get thrills from ordering stuff, but I've definitely used canned or leftover pineapples on a ham pizza to make my own Hawaiian pizza before. Also have fond memories of using some of the 30+ McDonalds ketchup packets on the kitchen counter at home instead of a perfectly unused bottle of ketchup sits in the fridge.
Ketchup inside those packets gets really really dark after a couple years. Still good though lol.

As for guilt, the last time I had a serious case of that was when I went to fish camp for college. The lunches were pre-paid and cafeteria/buffet style. I had gotten three burgers because I used to eat a ton of food, plus it was 'free'. I ended up only eating one of the burgers since it tasted like cardboard, but as I sat there staring at the remaining burger and slowly trudging through the second one the other fish (all white) gave me this novel idea, "If you're done eating just throw it away." Up until that point, it was just pure blasphemy to just throw away food on my plate since I had grown up with the mentality that you just had to finish everything you got. Doubly so since I picked up that much food on my own.

I still feel bad when I can't finish the entirety of a meal, but it's definitely not as bad as before and even less so if I can finish all the meat at least.

Hey GAF, I don't know if any of you have read this thread yet, but since Troubled Bat is an active contributor here, I just wanted to wish em my deepest condolences here as well.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss. It's always worst for the ones left behind.

^

Yes, it is very sad :<

All my hugs for you here as well, TB

Yeah, so sorry, Bats. We're here for you.

Holy crap.

I'm sorry man. One of my friends disappeared new years and hasn't been found since...

It sucks.

I'm so sorry bats. <3

I'm not sure I can help, but let me know if you need some.

Oh, no, I'm so sorry for your loss, Bats.

My condolences. =(

truly sorry for your loss, Bats..

My condolences bats :( Asian-GAF is here for you.

Thank you all so much.. I didn't expect to come in here with all this. I'll admit that it really made me cry from the thought. I'm trying to handle it as best as I can but it's getting harder it seems.
I truly appreciate this guys, and to you bunny, for sharing my story.

I'm also sorry to hear about your friend Blue..

YesNO, I would gladly accept that hug. Although, I know it'll start the waterworks for me. As it has been all day with everyone.

Thank you again, Asian-GAF. I'm happy to have stumbled upon here.

Top Bottom