• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

StMeph

I was at my friend's bday dinner last night. This group are predominantly white. One of them had an asian girlfriend there and when we all took pics, she flashed up the cutsie peace sign. Why? I'm going to make a thumbs up a thing when taking pics.

It has its own Wikipedia sub-entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign#As_a_photography_pose

"In Japan", "In other East Asian countries", and "Elsewhere".

I'll even corroborate that many will actually say "Yeah!" while flashing the sign, except it comes out more as "Ye~"/"椰~".

V for victory.

mercviper

Yeah I love that show.

Disclaimer: you know me IRL. Shhhh.

You and L should try out FFXIV! I'm considering picking it up and it'd be really fun to all play together!

I thought as much when I read the first page lol. The grandma is my fave character so far.

Re:FF, maybe? I've been spending too much money recently though. We'll see.

i got a pressure cooker. time to find random recipes online and convert it to the machine.

Don't forget to post food pics after to make us hungry! :p

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Haha what? Asians OT? Subbed.

I'm an ABC in Houston.

Does anybody here watch Fresh Off The Boat? My family bugged me to start so I caught a few clips and holy shit at the number of parallels to my childhood.

Yeah I love that show.

Disclaimer: you know me IRL. Shhhh.

You and L should try out FFXIV! I'm considering picking it up and it'd be really fun to all play together!

I thought as much when I read the first page lol. The grandma is my fave character so far.

Re:FF, maybe? I've been spending too much money recently though. We'll see.

Don't forget to post food pics after to make us hungry! :p

Fresh off the Boat is so true. So hilariously true.

Also, can you confirm or deny that BSB is as addicted to candy and sugar in RL as she is in her posts? :D

mercviper

Fresh off the Boat is so true. So hilariously true.

Also, can you confirm or deny that BSB is as addicted to candy and sugar in RL as she is in her posts? :D
I can neither confirm nor deny any such allegation. Although I suddenly have the brilliant idea to put candy under a box trap the next time I see her just to see what happens. I hypothesize the candy will go missing shortly thereafter.

A little off tangent but when's the next episode of Huang's world coming? I guess it's on indefinite hiatus with Fresh off the Boat going strong..

Haha what? Asians OT? Subbed.

I'm an ABC in Houston.

Does anybody here watch Fresh Off The Boat? My family bugged me to start so I caught a few clips and holy shit at the number of parallels to my childhood.
Off topic from Asian food (to talk about good ol' 'Murican food), I hear amazing things about the BBQ in Texas. Like, there's supposed to be this one place where you have to go ultra early and the lines can take basically all day.

mercviper

Off topic from Asian food (to talk about good ol' 'Murican food), I hear amazing things about the BBQ in Texas. Like, there's supposed to be this one place where you have to go ultra early and the lines can take basically all day.

There's quite a few, but Houston only has passable BBQ compared to the rest of Texas. If you want the good stuff you gotta head to places near Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas. I can't remember the names of any off the top of my head but in one place I went to just south of Austin the ceiling and most of the walls were pitch black from all the smoke residue from years of BBQ. That shit was goooood.

Edit: damnit now I'm going to have to leave work early so I can stop by my favorite local joint before they close.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I can neither confirm nor deny any such allegation. Although I suddenly have the brilliant idea to put candy under a box trap the next time I see her just to see what happens. I hypothesize the candy will go missing shortly thereafter.

This needs to be recorded for Asian-GAF posterity if it happens.

There's quite a few, but Houston only has passable BBQ compared to the rest of Texas. If you want the good stuff you gotta head to places near Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas. I can't remember the names of any off the top of my head but in one place I went to just south of Austin the ceiling and most of the walls were pitch black from all the smoke residue from years of BBQ. That shit was goooood.

Edit: damnit now I'm going to have to leave work early so I can stop by my favorite local joint before they close.
All according to keikaku*.

Take pics!

*"Keikaku" means plan.

Zoe

Probably Franklin Barbecue (no 's). When we went last Good Friday, we got in the line about 7:45 and sat down to eat at about 1:00.

The funny thing is the restaurant was still pretty empty when we got in. The reason the line moves slowly once they open is because the only cut one order at a time. And most people at the front of the line are getting several pounds for to-go orders.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

I have been a lifelong vegetarian; never had meat as far as I know. Even I've been tempted by Texas BBQ.

Probably Franklin Barbecue (no 's). When we went last Good Friday, we got in the line about 7:45 and sat down to eat at about 1:00.

The funny thing is the restaurant was still pretty empty when we got in. The reason the line moves slowly once they open is because the only cut one order at a time. And most people at the front of the line are getting several pounds for to-go orders.
Yeah, that might be it. My wife's friend's boyfriend is from Texas, and he said the reason you have to go early is because they tend to run out of stuff. Like, everyone waits in line for so long that they just end up ordering one of everything when they finally get to order.

I have been a lifelong vegetarian; never had meat as far as I know. Even I've been tempted by Texas BBQ.
I know, right? Since I've never had it, I feel like I can't even say I've had BBQ before.

There's supposed to be a pretty good place in Compton or Watts or something, but fuck going there.

It's like when I once had the opportunity to try probably the best fried chicken (I LOVE fried chicken) in the world, but it was located in the most ghetto part of New Orleans. Like, it was so sketchy that even the locals advise to go only during the day, take a cab there and ask it to wait for you while you eat, and the place closes at 2 PM so the employees can all leave safely. Yeah, no.
I do kind of regret not going, though.

Zoe

There's supposed to be a pretty good place in Compton or Watts or something, but fuck going there.

It's like when I once had the opportunity to try probably the best fried chicken (I LOVE fried chicken) in the world, but it was located in the most ghetto part of New Orleans. Like, it was so sketchy that even the locals advise to go only during the day, take a cab there and ask it to wait for you while you eat, and the place closes at 2 PM so the employees can all leave safely. Yeah, no.
I do kind of regret not going, though.

Do you remember the name? I think someone we were with the other day was talking about the same place, but they didn't know the name.

But if you're vegetarian, try queso. I always tell people about it-- none of my friends here in Cali ever heard of queso. Had it for the first time in TX and holy shit. My life is forever changed.

Please tell me, this "Queso" is the name of a restaurant. If not.. How has one not eaten cheese? Melted cheese?

I don't want to live in this world anymore.

mercviper

Lockhart, TX, outside of Austin, has 3 amazing BBQ joints (so I've been told, but I've only been to Black's omigod yum. However, all the dead stuffed animals kinda ruined the meal for me, no lie. I don't want to be looking at Bambi's dad when I'm eating.)

I think Texas BBQ is amazing, and going to have to disagree with mercviper about Houston. In Houston, I've been to both Rudy's (chain, but their sissysauce is really good imo), and Gatlin's (OMIGOD THE SAUSAGE HERE WAS SO GOOD, ESPECIALLY WHEN SMOTHERED IN SAUCE. AND THEIR PEACH COBBLER THING WAS SO GOOD TOOOOOOOOOOO).

Maybe it's just because there's no good BBQ in so-cal, but ahhhhhhmigod sometimes I pretend I'm visiting my BF when I'm really there for sausage (ha ha ha).

Just kidding about the last sentence. Or am I.

Texas BBQ brisket, covered in BBQ sauce...

..... /drooooool

But if you're vegetarian, try queso. I always tell people about it-- none of my friends here in Cali ever heard of queso. Had it for the first time in TX and holy shit. My life is forever changed.

Is queso why texmex doesn't really exist outside of Texas? Lol.

Also, when it comes to BBQ in Houston, it's still good BBQ. The general consensus is just that places like Franklin BBQ are even better, which is why I said it was passable for texas. Like Rudy's is a chain so you know you're going to love the real thing even more. :p

Do you remember the name? I think someone we were with the other day was talking about the same place, but they didn't know the name.
Which?

The fried chicken place is Willy May's. It's supposed to be straight up the best. Even the other fried chicken places will tell you that. As an aside, I went to a place called Fiorella's, where I had the best fried chicken that I've ever had.

The BBQ place is called Bludso's, I think.

Is queso why texmex doesn't really exist outside of Texas? Lol.

Also, when it comes to BBQ in Houston, it's still good BBQ. The general consensus is just that places like Franklin BBQ are even better, which is why I said it was passable for texas. Like Rudy's is a chain so you know you're going to love the real thing even more. :p
Yeah. I heard that the high end steakhouses in CA can actually match the Texas ones. It's just that we in CA pay way the hell more for the same quality because steak is abundant in Texas.

One day, I plan to take on the 72 oz. steak challenge. I don't think I can beat it, but damn it if I don't try.

Zoe

Which?

The fried chicken place is Willy May's. It's supposed to be straight up the best. Even the other fried chicken places will tell you that. As an aside, I went to a place called Fiorella's, where I had the best fried chicken that I've ever had.

The BBQ place is called Bludso's, I think.

Sorry, the fried chicken.

Please tell me, this "Queso" is the name of a restaurant. If not.. How has one not eaten cheese? Melted cheese?

I don't want to live in this world anymore.

We're speaking English, not Spanish. In English, queso = melted cheese + chilis

Zoe

I'm partly Hispanic.

Chile Con Queso, is what you described. Isn't that what's being talked about? I'm confused.

Sorry,I thought you were one of those pedantic Chipotle-hating GAFfers who says that all cheese is "queso" :(

Yeah, talking about chile con queso, which is a travesty if you've never had it before.

Which?

Coming back to this:

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2014/10/the_famous_fried_chicken_of_wi.html

Looks like there's a second location, outside of Treme!

mercviper

Sorry,I thought you were one of those pedantic Chipotle-hating GAFfers who says that all cheese is "queso" :(

Yeah, talking about chile con queso, which is a travesty if you've never had it before.

Coming back to this:

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2014/10/the_famous_fried_chicken_of_wi.html

That a person can exist without knowing chile con queso is something that blows my mind.

As far as fried chicken goes, my best experience has been raising cane's. For fast food it's really good and I absolutely love their sauce, which is like some amazing thousand island variant with black pepper.

If I ever go to nola I'll check out willie maes

StMeph

The most well-regarded Texas barbecue tends to be from the hill country, but a lot of smaller places are opening up now in the wake of Franklin Barbecue's fame. Lockhart's triumvirate -- Kreuz, Black's, Smitty's -- has always been well-known, and they're ridiculously good, but Franklin gets additional attention because it's within a major city, and Austin has always been a little hipstery.

There are a lot of really standout places in each major Texas city. You have to wait in line at basically all of them.

It's like when I once had the opportunity to try probably the best fried chicken (I LOVE fried chicken) in the world, but it was located in the most ghetto part of New Orleans. Like, it was so sketchy that even the locals advise to go only during the day, take a cab there and ask it to wait for you while you eat, and the place closes at 2 PM so the employees can all leave safely.

iwanttogotothere.gif

Chile Con Queso, is what you described. Isn't that what's being talked about? I'm confused.

For Tex-Mex, it's almost always chile con queso on menus, but it's usually just called queso as shorthand.

Edit:
As far as fried chicken goes, my best experience has been raising cane's. For fast food it's really good and I absolutely love their sauce, which is like some amazing thousand island variant with black pepper.

If I ever go to nola I'll check out willie maes

I think the sauce recipe was posted on Reddit (and can be found online) some time ago.

For Houston, the chef at Haven folded the restaurant rather than fight his landlord, and has on multiple occasions/interviews said he's working on a fried chicken joint as his next venture.

Do you know what the place is called? I'll be visiting my sister's who live there.

I don't know, is it that? I only know it by queso, and usually my partner orders it because he's the food expert, not I.

Yes, it's definitely what you're talking about. XD I'm still shocked that people have not tried CCQ, and yeah, saying queso is just saying cheese.

Chile-con-Queso-photo-300x300.jpg

It's okay, no need to be sorry. ^^ I have never eaten at Chipotle, but that's because I don't like burritos. Lol.

It surely is a travesty! Everyone has to have it at least once in their life. It's so damn good, yet, it's so simple. Oh, and once you eat it.. You can't stop.

Zoe

Also, shockingly, despite the high Hispanic population in Orange County, CA, chile con queso is not a thing. No idea. Having it in Texas, at a bar for the first time, no less, was... Heavenly. Divine. I would move to TX if it meant I got queso for the rest of my life.

You should be able to find these in the grocery if you want a poor man's queso at home:

bGxGMQE.png

He's serious about going, so I guess we will...

inb4 youarealreadydead.jpg

Edit:y

Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

Also, shockingly, despite the high Hispanic population in Orange County, CA, chile con queso is not a thing. No idea. Having it in Texas, at a bar for the first time, no less, was... Heavenly. Divine. I would move to TX if it meant I got queso for the rest of my life.

Because I have a lot of family that I actually have not met yet. XD I have to explore the world for them!

That seriously baffles me. I'm actually going to ask them if they've tried it before, or even heard of Chile Con Queso. You'd be surprised on how many places that actually have it, besides the obvious Tex-Mex/Mexican restaurants. It's everywhere! And for good reason. :)

Opiate

^ wat :eek:

They are two differently used rice in my experience.

Basmati is heavenly with butter and other seasonings.
Jasmine is the best as is...steamed with nothing.

Zoe- thanks! I might do it if I'm desperate.

Argyie- I had no idea. TBH if I made the commute out there I would rather eat Japanese food (because ramen > brisket), but if I am ever there and have extra meal time, I will fit it in.

Really sorta suspicious of the yelp review that compared it to Phil's BBQ in SD. Pft. Phil's has nothing on Rudy :p

We have different texture preferences, basically. I hate buttered rice and don't like the clumpy, wet texture of jasmine rice.

Coming back to this:

Excellent. Now I just need to get out to NOLA again, and I'm totally there.

I haven't been to either location but I don't think you need to go to Compton anymore for that?

http://www.barandque.com/
That's good to know! Maybe I can finally get to try it.

I stopped for gas in Compton once, and the shit was scary.

RE: Rice. My new favorite is what I call "Mokkoji" rice, which is a blend of sweet rice, Calrose rice, and brown rice, with some quinoa added in. Best rice ever.

StMeph

I am an equal-opportunity rice-eater.

I think the basmati/jasmine comparison was mainly about eating it plain.

But that misses a lot of other applications. It's not very common to eat most kinds of rice plain, and the different properties are necessary for varying dishes. You want looser grains like basmati for biryani, starchy grains for stuff like risotto/arroz con pollo, and sticky stuff for sushi.

Opiate

I am going to 85 right now actually! Need some snacks before Disneyland tonight.

Clumpy...? Wet................ .....?

.....horrified.gif

I mean, I guess clumpy kinda makes sense since it's glutinuous and sticky, but properly jasmine rice is supposed to be "queque." Like, a chewy, balanced texture. Badly cooked rice has a ...papery texture. Like overboiled corn.

But the whole reason I like jasmine over short grain rice is that it isn't that sticky, is very individually-grained, and is opposite of what you just said D:

You're right, I was confusing Jasmine as a short grain rice. Carry on.

You're right, I was confusing Jasmine as a short grain rice. Carry on.
You can make short grain rice less sticky if you use less water. I don't know if you use a rice cooker, but if you do, fill it to just below the line for the number of cups you'd use. It also helps to wash the rice first.

My aunt says soaking the rice beforehand helps, as well, but I never really believed that.

Opiate

You can make short grain rice less sticky if you use less water. I don't know if you use a rice cooker, but if you do, fill it to just below the line for the number of cups you'd use. It also helps to wash the rice first.

My aunt says soaking the rice beforehand helps, as well, but I never really believed that.

Yeah, it helps. Stlil not as good as Basmati (or apparently Jasmine!)

My secret confession here is that my "Asian" friends have, up until very recently, been the Indian kind of Asian. I grew up eating a lot of Indian food and prefer Indian to Korean, Japanese, or Chinese as a consequence.

Although now I'm dating a Chinese girl, so I'm eating a lot more sticky rice, which is why I came in to this thread to whine like a little baby.

My secret confession here is that my "Asian" friends have, up until very recently, been the Indian kind of Asian. I grew up eating a lot of Indian food and prefer Indian to Korean, Japanese, or Chinese as a consequence.

Although now I'm dating a Chinese girl, so I'm eating a lot more sticky rice, which is why I came in to this thread to whine like a little baby.
Don't worry. My mom sucks at making rice, too (which is why I referenced my aunt instead of her), so I fixed the issue by making it myself when I still lived at home.

Some tricks:
1. When washing the rice, use your hands. Grab the rice and try to squeeze it into a clump. Once you can no longer do that, and the clump just immediately falls apart, you're good. Dump that water.
2. Use about a fistfull of extra rice, over the number of cups you're measuring.
3. Fill to below the line and cook. Don't soak it. That either does nothing or makes the rice come out too dry.

mercviper

Don't worry. My mom sucks at making rice, too (which is why I referenced my aunt instead of her), so I fixed the issue by making it myself when I still lived at home.

Some tricks:
1. When washing the rice, use your hands. Grab the rice and try to squeeze it into a clump. Once you can no longer do that, and the clump just immediately falls apart, you're good. Dump that water.
2. Use about a fistfull of extra rice, over the number of cups you're measuring.
3. Fill to below the line and cook. Don't soak it. That either does nothing or makes the rice come out too dry.

I never thought to try and squeeze the rice as an indicator. I usually just wash and drain the water 2-3 times so that it's not opaque before filling to just above the rice level when cooking. If there's not enough water you can fix by adding more and if there's too much then you can just cook it longer.

cdyhybrid

Nothing wrong with that, Indian food is amazing.

Top Bottom