• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
original.gif

LOL

Kenway's head shaking makes it perfect :lol

How 'open' is the ocean? Can you just stop the boat and dive in the water like GTA V or is there a 'transition'?

Can you 'beach' your boat, is it like pulling up to an island and you just jump off the boat and go to the island or is the 'boat' and 'land' parts separate?

you can stop your ship wherever you want and jump in the water. but you wont be able to dive under the water anywhere, only in specific spots.

i don't believe you can beach the boat, when it hits land it crashes, and presumably breaks after enough hits.

but yes you can stop your ship near an island, jump off and reach the island, no load screens or anything.

TheSh466y

Neo Member
there's is some strange story stuff that you would miss by not playing previous games, but i don't recommend playing all of them. id say read a wiki or watch a walk-through or something, much easier. if you feel you like these games id recommend playing 2 and brotherhood, maybe revelations, depending on how much you like the main character Ezio.

EDIT: the story for AC4 is probably pretty disconnected from previous AC games, but the present day stuff links the series together. if you don't care about the present day stuff (which to be honest you shouldnt), you should be good at starting with AC4.

Thanks for the answer.

I'm asking this question because this games seems to be very disconnected with the previous "trilogy" with the Desmond story, and the present character is very different.

I think i'll start with AC IV.

Again, thanks for the answer.

PD: Sorry for my bad english.

you can stop your ship wherever you want and jump in the water. but you wont be able to dive under the water anywhere, only in specific spots.

i don't believe you can beach the boat, when it hits land it crashes, and presumably breaks after enough hits.

but yes you can stop your ship near an island, jump off and reach the island, no load screens or anything.

Can you call for bombardments from your ship when on land?

AndyD

aka andydumi
How 'open' is the ocean? Can you just stop the boat and dive in the water like GTA V or is there a 'transition'?

Can you 'beach' your boat, is it like pulling up to an island and you just jump off the boat and go to the island or is the 'boat' and 'land' parts separate?

I have not played it but fromt he descriptions it seems the answer to the second question is that it is a mixture. The few large cities have a load, but small islands do not, so you indeed just stop, jump in the water and walk on land freely.

I have not played it but fromt he descriptions it seems the answer to the second question is that it is a mixture. The few large cities have a load, but small islands do not, so you indeed just stop, jump in the water and walk on land freely.

Awesome. Thanks for the answers. I just want that sense of exploration, like seeing an island and heading for it with no loading screens and such. Cities, I kind of understand.

Kind of sucks about not being able to dive anywhere, wouldn't even have minded some 'filler' to not break immersion. But I can get over that.

IISANDERII

Just watched the Giantbomb QL and it looks so fun, makes it feel like you're an actual pirate of that era. Don't know if this has come across already because I avoid nearly all videogame preview coverage.

And holy shit
that 5th wall. I was actually stunned when Vinny popped out of the animas and began to explain what was going on. Fucking brilliant, from that bullshit (especially in ACIII) to kind of making a satire of itself. Awesome

I was on the fence before but now this easily makes up for the delay of Dogwatch.

giantbomb quicklook is up. game looks more janky than i'd remember ac games looking o_O

like kenway animation hitches out way more often than i'd recall in any recent ubisoft game (and they tend to have quite good animations and transitions).

'open world jank' is what people call it.

rating missions is kinda hilarious. hope at the end of the game it shows you your average 'score' of the game ;)

Hate to ask this again, buy anyone have any technical thoughts about the Wii U version? Really worried that the PC version will be as unoptimized as AC3 and I'll have waited a month for nothing given what settings I'll have to run it on.

I just got this game for my birthday from my brother and his wife. :)

So question that I'm sure has been answered, but... yeah. When is the best time to play the Aveline DLC? I notice it's a separate entry on the main menu from the singleplayer. Does it matter? Is it completely separate? Better before starting the main story? After?

Thanks. :)

Gaz_RB

Just watched the Giantbomb QL and it looks so fun, makes it feel like you're an actual pirate of that era. Don't know if this has come across already because I avoid nearly all videogame preview coverage.

And holy shit
that 5th wall. I was actually stunned when Vinny popped out of the animas and began to explain what was going on. Fucking brilliant, from that bullshit (especially in ACIII) to kind of making a satire of itself. Awesome

I was on the fence before but now this easily makes up for the delay of Dogwatch.

That was hilarious, especially with everyone talking about Desmond and stuff. He blew their minds haha

Any direct feed of the PC version with all the Nvidia effects yet?!

Don't think anyone's got their hands on the PC version yet

dan2026

Couldn't they have found a better way of limiting their open world than giant water barriers around the ocean?

It looks really dumb.

Effect

Those with the Wii U version, or any version really, are you able to connect to the Ubisoft servers? I kept getting the message that they were down last night. My password for Uplay is correct I believe and it's updated. So not sure what the issue could be. Unless I have to reset the password.

conman

Puh-leez, Assassin's Creed has always been tinfoil-hat mumbo jumbo. The first game was just more stoic in its presentation.
You got it backwards. My point is I want more of the "tinfoil-hat mumbo jumbo." The reason folks got sick of it is because the team got bad at writing it. Unfortunately, that also means that what used to make the games special has also gotten bad. Now it's just a big, overblown, feature-packed action game like every other AAA release these days.

The fact that this thread has been so focused on the game's technical merits (and shortcomings) tells me that the writing and setting are no longer the reasons people play these games. I was hoping AC4 might mark a return to form (strong world design and sharp, fun paranoid fiction). But based on what folks are liking and not liking in this thread, it looks like I should stop holding my breath and just let it go. Too bad.

Akai__

Is there an easy way to make money? I'm at Sequence 4 now and I still didn't figure out, how to make more money, besides doing missions and going for chests.

JB1981

You got it backwards. My point is I want more of the "tinfoil-hat mumbo jumbo." The reason folks got sick of it is because the team got bad at writing it. Unfortunately, that also means that what used to make the games special has also gotten bad. Now it's just a big, overblown, feature-packed action game like every other AAA release these days.

The fact that this thread has been so focused on the game's technical merits (and shortcomings) tells me that the writing and setting are no longer the reasons people play these games. I was hoping AC4 might mark a return to form (strong world design and sharp, fun paranoid fiction). But based on what folks are liking and not liking in this thread, it looks like I should stop holding my breath and just let it go. Too bad.

Most threads about games revolve around technical merits.

Dr Dogg

Well this might be the first AC title that I'm actually having cash flow problems. All the chests seam to give out penny's and pick pocketing pretty much gets you caught. Still better than the broken economies of the last 4 games.

Well this might be the first AC title that I'm actually having cash flow problems. All the chests seam to give out penny's and pick pocketing pretty much gets you caught. Still better than the broken economies of the last 4 games.

can you buy ingame gold with real $ in this? :p

The ipad app is kinda cool, actually. I like being able to read the different animus data that I've found in game while away from my console.

Dr Dogg

The ipad app is kinda cool, actually. I like being able to read the different animus data that I've found in game while away from my console.

Yeah I'm liking it but I don't know if my WiFi is flakey as it keeps on disconnecting. Setting waypoints on the map and being able to see everything without having to go through that Ubi jank of syncing viewpoints though is a plus.

Special C

This pleases me. Money meant absolutly nothing in previous AC games and you had all you needed by the middle of the game.

I have around 4 hours clocked on the Wii U version so far and I haven't encountered any glitches or bugs so far. Definitely nothing as distracting or game breaking as III.

D-e-f-

Banned
I have a question:

As a newcomer in the series. Is necessary play all the previous Assassin's Creed games before to play AC IV?

Thanks.

No. The meat and potatoes of these games is the stuff in the past. The modern day stuff is just window dressing tying it together. It's all so forgettable and confusing anyway, you don't lose anything by starting here. AC II and Brotherhood are still very good and recommendable games, though.

Derrick01

Banned

Woah that actually sounds good. The economies were a joke in the older ACs due largely to how easy it was to get money relative to the rather low prices of everything in stores. It must feel weird to actually have a reason to do many of the junk activities in an AC game.

Dr Dogg

This pleases me. Money meant absolutly nothing in previous AC games and you had all you needed by the middle of the game.

Woah that actually sounds good. The economies were a joke in the older ACs due largely to how easy it was to get money relative to the rather low prices of everything in stores. It must feel weird to actually have a reason to do many of the junk activities in an AC game.

Well i wouldn't get your hopes up as I'm only on Sequence 3 but so far I've had next to no money to pay for factions, which the missions are badgering you to use and everything in the shops are waaaay more than I've got. It'll brake sooner or later, it's a fucking Ubisoft game, it's in their DNA.

Jedi2016

How does the game handle the sci-fi aspects? Not the present-day stuff, but the things that Kenway would interact with (like the Apple and other ancient tech in previous ACs)? Is that stuff still around, or is it more just straight piratey action?

Dr Dogg

How does the game handle the sci-fi aspects? Not the present-day stuff, but the things that Kenway would interact with (like the Apple and other ancient tech in previous ACs)? Is that stuff still around, or is it more just straight piratey action?

I'm not that far in so don't want to speculate too much but
yeah there have been allusions to a Piece of Eden being in the locale though that seams to be part of the over arching story.
The piratey stuff is just opening up though. Present day stuff has largely stayed to a minimum (thankfully!)

Jeels

I believe it is only 30fps/1080p lazy port is lazy.

Wow, I wonder why. I'll be honest I don't really know what goes into making a game jump from 30 to 60, but I hear pc gamers say they bump their game specs to a higher frame rate all the time. :/

Wookieomg

So I'm debating on getting this for PS4 or for PC... I've played only a little of the previous iterations in the franchise, but I think I remember rumblings of how the Assassin's Creeds ports to PC were pretty terribad in the past? Am I mistaken on that account? Just want to know if it's worth checking it out on PS4 or if the PC will be a safe bet.

So I'm debating on getting this for PS4 or for PC... I've played only a little of the previous iterations in the franchise, but I think I remember rumblings of how the Assassin's Creeds ports to PC were pretty terribad in the past? Am I mistaken on that account? Just want to know if it's worth checking it out on PS4 or if the PC will be a safe bet.

Won't know until the PC version is out. 3 was a shitty and poorly optimized port but it still managed to do better than 30 FPS. It all depends on the PC you have.

Ashtar

Played for about three hours, and so far I think it's really fucking good. Despite what some may say about AC games just being the same thing every year, it's hard to say a pirate game set in the Caribbean isn't a fresh experience. Just got my ship, and I'm already getting a boyish wander of just sailing the seas with my crew, it really is pretty cool.

Also I'm laughing at some of the responses and condescending remarks about these games somehow being about bombast and "catering to the lowest fruit" on account of pirates "being more familiar." You don't like the setting? Fine, you don't like the direction the series is heading? Than fine, but keep you holier than thou superiority complex out of constructive criticism.
word screw those people up here trying to ruin our fun.

Wookieomg

Won't know until the PC version was out. 3 was a shitty and poorly optimized port but it still managed to do better than 30 FPS. It all depends on the PC you have.

My PC can easily handle any game coming out for the foreseeable future, I'd wager. But since there's additional content for the PS4 version (I think like an extra hour of content, yes?), and Target has the B2G1 deal going on the week of the 10th, thought about making this the free game I could get. :)

My PC can easily handle any game coming out for the foreseeable future, I'd wager. But since there's additional content for the PS4 version (I think like an extra hour of content, yes?), and Target has the B2G1 deal going on the week of the 10th, thought about making this the free game I could get. :)

Well if you don't care about the visuals and there is nothing else you want to get, why not I guess.

Wookieomg

Well if you don't care about the visuals and there is nothing else you want to get, why not I guess.

Well I *do* care about the visuals, and the overall quality of the product... Hence why I asked if the ports were good or not :p Just trying to get my options laid out before me.

Top Bottom