• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

cdkee

Banned
The folks in charge of the series now simply aren't as smart or as well read IMO. The last two games have been aimed at the low-hanging fruit (pirates and the American Revolution), while the earlier games dug into less familiar--though incredibly significant--moments and places in world history. The whole PKD-inspired paranoid sci-fi angle has been ditched entirely in favor of crowd-pleasing, big-exploding, Hollywood-style bombast. AC3 (and now apparently AC4) are all surface and no depth.

The big appeal of the series used to be in telling the "secret history" of modern political, economic, and social life. That's all gone. And so is the series' soul.

100% agree.

Imagine a game where you play out the conquest of Constantinople...I love Ottoman and Middle Eastern history, so I'm disappointed greatly by where they've been taking the franchise.

Rolfgang

you know, have they ever fixed the problem where combat completely breaks if you are fighting on elevated surfaces like stairs? animations go wonky and counters may or may not work.

Not totally, sometimes it seems they fixed it and everything works correctly, but other times Edward instantly breaks into Riverdance, whilst nearby enemies start to do a mixed style of breakdance and the tango.

I'm not a fan of dancing.

Dr Dogg

Well just knocked out the first Sequence and already I'm preferring this over III. It's gosh darn colourful!

Though I wish Ubi had just knocked it off with the present day shit. I avoided the prerelease hype for this so was going in dark but the setup had me half laughing, half shaking my head. Now was the time to leave it all behind and just focus on being an assassin. Well willing to give it time and hope it works.

Also if you got a compatible phone or tablet go get the companion app. No more menu faffing and there's some pretty good integration with some of the new mechanics and inevitable collectables plus interactive world map where you can set waypoints ahoy!

Frillen

you know, have they ever fixed the problem where combat completely breaks if you are fighting on elevated surfaces like stairs? animations go wonky and counters may or may not work.

Not really, unfortunately. I've encountered some stuck enemies as well, only a couple of times, so nothing major. The combat is definitely more smooth overall than the one in ACIII though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
100% agree.

Imagine a game where you play out the conquest of Constantinople...I love Ottoman and Middle Eastern history, so I'm disappointed greatly by where they've been taking the franchise.

i dont think ya'll have much to worry about long(er) term

Have yet to pick up my pre-order, but during my History lecture today we touched on Havana and Kingston. This is so going to be my justification for spending time with this, rather than readings.

D-e-f-

Banned
I want to buy this game and love it, but man AC games are way too easy. No challenge whatsoever.

Not every game is about challenge. Or at least not necessarily the same challenge. In past AC games, the challenge came from collectibles. Finding all the stuff scattered in the world. Or getting 100% synch in missions which sometimes means doing a mission over once you know what happens. Or setting up a completely silent infiltration. You could try to take out a Templar captain with poison darts from a distance without being seen. Can't tell me that's particularly easy. There are various ways to find "challenge" in these games. You just need to know what the specific challenge is you are looking for and if that game delivers that type or doesn't.

Dr Dogg

Well Havana certainly is different than the usual AC cut and paste architecture. A little on the small side (looks to be a bit bigger than Forli in 2).

Eagle Vision has got an upgrade I think a lot of people are either going to hate or love.

Toa TAK

Banned
Well Havana certainly is different than the usual AC cut and paste architecture. A little on the small side (looks to be a bit bigger than Forli in 2).

Eagle Vision has got an upgrade I think a lot of people are either going to hate or love.
Count me in the "Love" camp.

Just knocked out the 2nd assassination of the game. Enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would be. Minus the extra supplies needed to upgrade the Jackdaw.

I like Edward, but man, the 1v1 in the white room was much better in ac3 so far.

Can you change which sea shanty your crew sings during the sailing? Or do they sing them randomly, without any chance of you choosing what will they sing next?

Effect

Is anyone else getting a message saying the ubisoft servers aren't working?

Edit: Wait. Seems I need to update Uplay itself on the Wii U. Let's see if that fixes the issue.

Edit 2: No that didn't work.

Following this thread is like last year (AC 3) all over again. If I recall, it took 2-3 days for people to come back and give us some impressions not influenced by the post-purchase high.

Effect

Here are the images (uploaded from the system it self with the hud on the gamepad) I posted in the reviews thread of the Wii U version. They're from the very beginning of the game.

2EnvXVG.jpg

otC3Q0l.jpg

yRSjhk3.jpg

R9UFScr.jpg

JgpRMng.jpg

2kQtC3h.jpg

i have a question regarding AC4 - is it really that good?

i had half a mind to pick up AC3 when it came out because everybody praised it and it got good reviews; now it seems to be the same start with this new pirate one as well.

how did AC3 come to terms with the fact that it's a terrible game on Neogaf?

was it because of putting time into it and realizing it was horrible in the end?

should i get this game?

I finished AC 2 and Brotherhood. Can I skip Revelations and AC III and go straight to IV:Black Flag? Will I be missing a lot of story elements etc. in AC IV if I do that?

Can you change which sea shanty your crew sings during the sailing? Or do they sing them randomly, without any chance of you choosing what will they sing next?

There are 40 in total and they need to be found (read unlocked). Not sure if you have any control over when they are sung however.

You can start/stop them whenever you're sailing with the d-pad, and pressing the song button when they're already singing will interrupt them and have them start the next song.

Edit: I think the uploader confirmed in the comments it's not the game? Any real impressions on how the Wii U version runs?

This. Comprehensive Wii U impressions would be great; not sure if I want to wait a few weeks for the PC version (my laptop isn't great, think BF4 on a mix of medium/high with no AA to get 50/1080p) or just grab the Wii U version now and enjoy off TV shenanigans.

This. Comprehensive Wii U impressions would be great; not sure if I want to wait a few weeks for the PC version (my laptop isn't great, think BF4 on a mix of medium/high with no AA to get 50/1080p) or just grab the Wii U version now and enjoy off TV shenanigans.

I'll start a live stream of the Wii U version in just a few minutes.

Effect

Been playing the Wii U version for a few hours now. Haven't noticed any frame rate issues. No issues with the controls. Game looks great. However I do think the extended opening in AC3 okay in the end. It was long, perhaps to long, but it did a much better job of getting you into the game and used to the controls. If someone new picks this up they're going to have a harder time I think then they should. AC3 eased you into things a LOT better. AC4 tosses a lot of stuff at you very quickly I think. This is the negative trade off for getting you to explore the first city area sooner. Though it does give you the opportunity to figure things out, which is fine I feel, but I can see that turning some people off.

The folks in charge of the series now simply aren't as smart or as well read IMO. The last two games have been aimed at the low-hanging fruit (pirates and the American Revolution), while the earlier games dug into less familiar--though incredibly significant--moments and places in world history. The whole PKD-inspired paranoid sci-fi angle has been ditched entirely in favor of crowd-pleasing, big-exploding, Hollywood-style bombast. AC3 (and now apparently AC4) are all surface and no depth.

The big appeal of the series used to be in telling the "secret history" of modern political, economic, and social life. That's all gone. And so is the series' soul.

159.gif

Fucking fantastic post.

Top Bottom