• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Deimo5

I got the black chest edition today, WTF is wrong with this people?, why is the box so big?, I need a new house :(

Lol isn't it mostly because of the statue? It did look a lot bigger than 3's equivalent box though.
I got the Black Skull edition, nice and compact. Everything fits in the jumbo case besides the map.

Only played a short while so far but is the movement weightier or what?

Went into the game with low expectations. I'd say I'm about halfway through Sequence 2 (no idea how many segments each is) and I'm already enjoying this leagues above the previous title. Atmosphere feels lighter and the lead is already showing himself to be endearing. The present day section though...

White Man

Pardon me if it's been asked before, and please use spoiler tags, but (veryearly game, like beginning):
So the main character isn't REALLY an assassin? Not in his bloodline?

Rolfgang

Pardon me if it's been asked before, and please use spoiler tags, but (veryearly game, like beginning):

Without spoiling it:
He kinda rolls into the whole Assassin vs. Templar thing by accident.

Scrabble

Played for about three hours, and so far I think it's really fucking good. Despite what some may say about AC games just being the same thing every year, it's hard to say a pirate game set in the Caribbean isn't a fresh experience. Just got my ship, and I'm already getting a boyish wander of just sailing the seas with my crew, it really is pretty cool.

Also I'm laughing at some of the responses and condescending remarks about these games somehow being about bombast and "catering to the lowest fruit" on account of pirates "being more familiar." You don't like the setting? Fine, you don't like the direction the series is heading? Than fine, but keep you holier than thou superiority complex out of constructive criticism.

Yoday

How's the performance on ps3?
I have only played about an hour so far, so I can't say how the performance is long term, but I think I have a pretty good feel for it. Out in the world it seems okay. It isn't super smooth by any stretch, but it isn't bad either. I would say that it is trying to maintain 30fps, but not quite getting there most of the time, or fluctuating just enough that is noticeable. The same can be said for the open sea ship battles, trying for 30, not quite maintaining it, but not terrible.

Now, in city is a whole other story. In Havana I would be shocked if the framerate ever maintains 30 for more than a few seconds. It is really choppy and can get unplayable at times. I'm not talking "oh man, 25fps, that is unplayable" either. At the end of the first mission in Havana I had to escape the area and the entire time the framerate was easily sub 20, and there were a few times that I wouldn't be shocked if someone told me it entered single digits. It was so bad that I was having a hard time navigating rooftops.

Even still, it is a very playable game outside of the city, and it looks pretty damn good for a current gen game as well. I would absolutely hold out for the next gen version, or do what I did and go the upgrade path. The only reason I even have the PS3 version is because it was basically free with the $50 PSN promotion.

Rolfgang

Also I'm laughing at some of the responses and condescending remarks about these games somehow being about bombast and "catering to the lowest fruit" on account of pirates "being more familiar." You don't like the setting? Fine, you don't like the direction the series is heading? Than fine, but keep you holier than thou superiority complex out of constructive criticism.

Amen.

Still at the beginning, but am I reading this right?
Abstergo branched off into the entertainment industry and teamed up with motherfucking Ubisoft to make a video game that apparently took the world by storm? Really?! Because what I'm getting from this, the entire franchise up until this point was just a Star Ocean thing.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

The folks in charge of the series now simply aren't as smart or as well read IMO. The last two games have been aimed at the low-hanging fruit (pirates and the American Revolution), while the earlier games dug into less familiar--though incredibly significant--moments and places in world history. The whole PKD-inspired paranoid sci-fi angle has been ditched entirely in favor of crowd-pleasing, big-exploding, Hollywood-style bombast. AC3 (and now apparently AC4) are all surface and no depth.

The big appeal of the series used to be in telling the "secret history" of modern political, economic, and social life. That's all gone. And so is the series' soul.

Puh-leez, Assassin's Creed has always been tinfoil-hat mumbo jumbo. The first game was just more stoic in its presentation.

Rolfgang

Still at the beginning, but am I reading this right?
Abstergo branched off into the entertainment industry and teamed up with motherfucking Ubisoft to make a video game that apparently took the world by storm? Really?! Because what I'm getting from this, the entire franchise up until this point was just a Star Ocean thing.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

Abstergo became a developer (not teamed up with Ubi tough, at least I didn't see or hear that somewhere) and you, the player, uses the animus to go trough interesting time periods to see what they can use in games. It's totally meta.

Yoday

Played for about three hours, and so far I think it's really fucking good. Despite what some may say about AC games just being the same thing every year, it's hard to say a pirate game set in the Caribbean isn't a fresh experience. Just got my ship, and I'm already getting a boyish wander of just sailing the seas with my crew, it really is pretty cool.

I agree. I am actually surprised that there are people so into the story. AC is my favorite series of all time, and I couldn't give two shits about the story, and I usually get into videogame stories more than anyone I know. For me the story is merely a reason for the game to exist in a particular settings. It is all about having fun running around an awesome historical setting for me. To each their own, but don't try to drag down those that like the series for reasons not your own.

Abstergo became a developer (not teamed up with Ubi tough, at least I didn't see or hear that somewhere) and you, the player, uses the animus to go trough interesting time periods to see what they can use in games. It's totally meta.

This is what the AE passport says: "2012: In collaboration with major videogame publisher Ubisoft, Abstergo Entertainment's Assassin's Creed III: Liberation is released, and for the first time, the public hears the story of Aveline de Grandpre, a fallen Assassin who rediscovers the light with the help of the Templar Order. A modern classic is born." I don't know who Aveline is, I stopped playing AC3 halfway through so I'm not sure if that was an actual character or not.

Hamlet

This is what the AE passport says: "2012: In collaboration with major videogame publisher Ubisoft, Abstergo Entertainment's Assassin's Creed III: Liberation is released, and for the first time, the public hears the story of Aveline de Grandpre, a fallen Assassin who rediscovers the light with the help of the Templar Order. A modern classic is born." I don't know who Aveline is, I stopped playing AC3 halfway through so I'm not sure if that was an actual character or not.

She is from the PS Vita game Assassin's Creed III: Liberation which is an actual game made by Ubisoft

Rolfgang

I agree. I am actually surprised that there are people so into the story. AC is my favorite series of all time, and I couldn't give two shits about the story, and I usually get into videogame stories more than anyone I know. For me the story is merely a reason for the game to exist in a particular settings. It is all about having fun running around an awesome historical setting for me. To each their own, but don't try to drag down those that like the series for reasons not your own.

The actual fun I always get from the 'story' are the characters, who were before that only characters from history books. And since this game has loads of awesome and historical pirates in it, the 'story' is just perfect for me.

gribbles

Banned
Only a few hours in, but I'm really not liking it much at all. I'd actually rank this below AC3 overall.

Sailing around is boring as fuck. I thought this was supposed to be an assassin game, not Naval Simulator 2013.

The story is sleep-inducingly bad, and I don't like any of the characters either, none of them are interesting. Edward's supposed to be this dashing rogue scoundrel who gives no fucks, but I just find him incredibly obnoxious and annoying. And what sort of a fucking pirate wears a hood? *Sigh* There will never ever be another AC character as cool as Ezio.

Hamlet

Played it for about 5 hours now really loving it at the moment
This is pretty much the pirate game i've always wanted, I love exploring/sailing around the world seeing other ships having gunfights in the distance and my sailers signing their songs as I sail
Plus its so colourful
Only technical issues so far is that in certain towns (especially Havana) the framerate goes pretty low
PS3 version here

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Here are the images (uploaded from the system it self with the hud on the gamepad) I posted in the reviews thread of the Wii U version. They're from the very beginning of the game.

After about an hour on wii u I haven't seen any framerate drops

Been playing the Wii U version for a few hours now. Haven't noticed any frame rate issues. No issues with the controls. Game looks great.

Great to hear that the Wii U version is very good. Still one month to go for Europe release and I'm trying not to spoil myself. How is the Gamepad implementation? I see that you can at list have a HUD-less screen, which is cool.

Is there a more piratey uniform that can be changed into early early in the game? I know it's nitpicky, but that'll probably be the first thing I look for haha.

Rolfgang

Is there a more piratey uniform that can be changed into early early in the game? I know it's nitpicky, but that'll probably be the first thing I look for haha.

You can buy a brown cloak very soon and it puts and awesome piratey cloak (just like Jack Sparrow's cloakish jacket) over your normal outfit. The only downside of it tough, is that you don't see the two pistols on your hips anymore, since the cloak goes over it. I'll try to make a picture for you.

EDIT: I'll put it in links, so that I don't spoil it for people who don't want to see it.

http://i.imgur.com/BIeuedj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zRQ4vaC.jpg

You can buy a brown cloak very soon and it puts and awesome piratey cloak (just like Jack Sparrow's cloakish jacket) over your normal outfit. The only downside of it tough, is that you don't see the two pistols on your hips anymore, since the cloak goes over it. I'll try to make a picture for you.

EDIT: I'll put it in links, so that I don't spoil it for people who don't want to see it.

http://i.imgur.com/BIeuedj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zRQ4vaC.jpg

Haha that is epic man, thanks :D no way to ditch the hood though, put it down or trad eit for a sweet ass hat?

Rolfgang

Haha that is epic man, thanks :D no way to ditch the hood though, put it down or trad eit for a sweet ass hat?

Edward puts his hood down on board of the Jackdaw (and when boarding other ships) and on islands and certain areas in cities. When he doesn't want someone to know his identity, he puts the hood on. There is a pirate captain outfit you could unlock, but I forgot how, and if you pre-ordered it you can get acces to the Captain Drake's outfit, which features a bandana instead of a hood. There is also a Mayan outfit which doesn't have a hat or hood at all.

Edward puts his hood down on board of the Jackdaw (and when boarding other ships) and on islands and certain areas in cities. When he doesn't want someone to know his identity, he puts the hood on. There is a pirate captain outfit you could unlock, but I forgot how, and if you pre-ordered it you can get acces to the Captain Drake's outfit, which features a bandana instead of a hood. There is also a Mayan outfit which doesn't have a hat or hood at all.

Haha, cheers for the information man, I would have went back and read through the threa dbut seems there's lots of plot being discussed and I don't want to risk clicknig on anything. Game can't come sooner to steam!

If you play the game though, there are hmmm forgot how they explain it, glitched people in the game. If you find them and kill them you unlock the real story for Aveline and the true ending. The Templars are using the the games basically as PR and trying to get the general public to be on their side, and see them as good guys. They basically take Aveline's story and twist it to make the Templars seem awesome. I wonder if there will be an element of unlocking the real story here as well

Epcott

I'm trying to stay away from as many spoilers as possible, but has the mythical goddess sci-fi angle been dropped all together?

Risgroo

Ugh, the mail is either super late, or my game is lost somewhere. Shipped on Friday, so it should have been here a while ago. Really hyped for this too :/

JonCha

Edge seemed to like the game a lot. It seems like buying the next but one AC game works out well for me, so I may pick this up for my 360 soonish.

Revan

Question for those who bought the game and have played all the other entries in the series. Spoilers marking just in case.

So I bought the game, activated the Uplay and it told me that because I've played the previous entries it unlocked Altair, Ezio and Conner's assassin's robes and that I can get them at a general store or the Jackdaw. I got to Havana and am at sequence 2 but the robes aren't available at the general store there. Do I need to wait until I have the Jackdaw to unlock them?

Question for those who bought the game and have played all the other entries in the series. Spoilers marking just in case.

So I bought the game, activated the Uplay and it told me that because I've played the previous entries it unlocked Altair, Ezio and Conner's assassin's robes and that I can get them at a general store or the Jackdaw. I got to Havana and am at sequence 2 but the robes aren't available at the general store there. Do I need to wait until I have the Jackdaw to unlock them?

You're correct:
Edward is in disguise as Walpole during Sequence 2

Lime

Whoa, so I may be late in the news.

But the Aveline exclusive bits are not coming to other platforms?

Eurogamer Here

I am really excited to get this with the PS4. Anticipation is killing me!

To PC it is. Check the specific thread.

AC4BF_udeluxe_hero.jpg

dreamfall

To PC it is. Check the specific thread.

Weird. The updated story seems to indicate it is solely Sony, not PC or otherwise. EDIT: Annnd checked the thread! Loopholes!

Who knows- Aveline figurehead and what not, ready to sail the high seas!

TheSh466y

Neo Member
I have a question:

As a newcomer in the series. Is necessary play all the previous Assassin's Creed games before to play AC IV?

Thanks.

Mendrox

That is all wrong. Play the game.
This game plays after AC3 and even shows the burned Desmond, the Templar are still searching for the Apples and everything.

I have a question:

As a newcomer in the series. Is necessary play all the previous Assassin's Creed games before to play AC IV?

Thanks.

there's is some strange story stuff that you would miss by not playing previous games, but i don't recommend playing all of them. id say read a wiki or watch a walk-through or something, much easier. if you feel you like these games id recommend playing 2 and brotherhood, maybe revelations, depending on how much you like the main character Ezio.

EDIT: the story for AC4 is probably pretty disconnected from previous AC games, but the present day stuff links the series together. if you don't care about the present day stuff (which to be honest you shouldnt), you should be good at starting with AC4.

Spoilers:
He has to be, the character is still an ancestor of Desmond miles, who has a direct bloodline to assassins.

njean777

Liking this game so far, many of the graphical glitches from 3 seem to be gone. This is on ps3 btw, I may be blind, but it seems to run a bit better then 3 as well.

Van Owen

Banned
Just read the DF H2H. Nice to hear that the PS3 and 360 versions are pretty much identical, though I won't get the game for either system.

How 'open' is the ocean? Can you just stop the boat and dive in the water like GTA V or is there a 'transition'?

Can you 'beach' your boat, is it like pulling up to an island and you just jump off the boat and go to the island or is the 'boat' and 'land' parts separate?

Clegg

Just activated the Ubisoft passport code. Does anyone know when i can start the resource management mini game?

Top Bottom