• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Jedi2016

It is a much better game but I believe that they should leave the ship gameplay after this one. Improve upon the story and make the cities feel more fleshed out but maintain the accessibility of traversing between the streets and rooftops like this game. In this one it is a helluva a lot of fun to freerun across the rooftops.
Agreed. I think ships can be a part of the series from now on, but probably shouldn't be the focus.

The real improvement will be when they start coding specifically for the next-gen consoles. Then we should see some pretty crazy improvement to NPC count and AI, making the cities that much more alive.

blanco21

Is this a good first Assassin's Creed game? I like pirates and stuff, but I've never been too interested in the series/gameplay (I only played an hour or two of AC1 years ago)

SJRB

Gold Member
Is this a good first Assassin's Creed game? I like pirates and stuff, but I've never been too interested in the series/gameplay (I only played an hour or two of AC1 years ago)

It's the first game that is not a direct sequel to any of the previous ones, so in fact AC4 is the best game to start playing. You'll miss out on a handful of references and the grande scheme of things might get lost on you, but nothing that will ruin your experience.

[note - I haven't finished the game yet, so I can't comment on the overall story. But given that I'm about 10 hours in I can say that I had very few throwbacks to previous games]

So I was boarding an English frigate just now, and while using the swivel gun, I got a message that said:

"WARNING: This ancestor did not kill civilians or domestic animals".

Huh?

Dead

well not really...yet
Love this game, to the point I'm seeking out the CE guide along with the art book and thinking about picking up Ubi's Pirate book and encyclopedia. ironcreed is right in saying that progression and unlocks are timed perfectly although I often find myself just sailing around the North islands, looting ships and finding treasure. I just love the sailing mechanics and animations for Edward using the wheel or how the crew all get busy when you give the command to go faster.

That said with getting more invested and sucked into the world I do wish I could explore all of the interior of the Jackdaw like Mass Effect's the Normandy. I also wished I hadn't upgraded to the battering ram just for aesthetic reasons. lol

Haven't been on since Friday though so did the Community challenge get completed?
I bought the art book. It is fantastic and close to 200 pages

The ce guide is also great I buy those for each AC game. They're some of the best made guides out there and great collector items.

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
So I was boarding an English frigate just now, and while using the swivel gun, I got a message that said:

"WARNING: This ancestor did not kill civilians or domestic animals".

Huh?

It probably means you shouldn't kill neither. The ancestor is they guy you're playing as. But yeah, weird phrasing.

I miss melee weapons other than swords.

I feel ya.

One of my favorite parts of AC3 was using the tomahawks. The animations for those weapons was just so brutal and savage.

Honestly, of all the AC leads, I think Connor had the most satisfying and violent attacks. His movements just showed a great mix of 'proper' training vs instinctual aggression.

DrBo42

I feel ya.

One of my favorite parts of AC3 was using the tomahawks. The animations for those weapons was just so brutal and savage.

Honestly, of all the AC leads, I think Connor had the most satisfying and violent attacks. His movements just showed a great mix of 'proper' training vs instinctual aggression.

Funny thing is if you have the swords out with no target and hit attack, it'll make the spin sound from the tomahawk animation but Edward will not spin the swords. Oh Ubi, you so lazy.

Simo

My game seems to say it was, yes.

Yeah I got my Explorer outfit. Not sure if it's working properly but when finding White Whale and Royal Convoy locations the game says they're also shared with friends too.

Just got done with Black Island so now I have all my Captain Morgan goodies.

It probably means you shouldn't kill neither. The ancestor is they guy you're playing as. But yeah, weird phrasing.

I thought the stranger part was that it happened in the middle of boarding an enemy ship. How could I have killed a civvy or livestock when I'm in the middle of the ocean?

Ah well, it's not the first (or twentieth) glitch in the game.

Question: Are the controls just like ACIII? Can you grab random people like in AC2-R and just headbutt/punch/kick them? That was pretty insignificant, but was oh so satisfying.

SJRB

Gold Member
I have to say that even though this game is many times better than III, I'm at sequence 5 or 6 but the story is absolute garbage.

I mean, if someone were to ask me to give a recap of stuff that's happened so far I wouldn't have a clue as to what to say. It's a whole bunch of nothing, really. Characters come and go, wild goosechases that end up in some form of anticlimax, and then you move to the next goosechase.

The most annoying thing for me is that the missions are pretty much standalone - they're individual dots and often there's no line to connect the dots. It's kind of hard to explain; You do a mission, and afterwards a marker appears somewhere on your map where you have to travel to in order to start the next mission. But nobody tells you that you have to go there, or what you're supposed to do there. There is no narrative whatsoever, it's just a series of events. It's very challenging to be even remotely invested in the story since the game does so little effort to get you invested.

I also GREATLY dislike how Edward is not an Assassin but just a random dude mocking Assassins and Templars and has but one motivation: coins. It almost feels like this game sometimes is a parody of itself. I mean, I just assassinated
Prince, and Edward's "I don't give a fuck about Assassins, it's all about the money" during the traditional after-assassination dialogue really rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't want to really deal with downloading the PS4 version of AC4 but mainly my girlfriend plays the game right now and we are only ~30% through with the game. We plan to just go to Gamestop tomorrow and trade it in towards the PS4 version with the promotion deals and a gift card to just be able to pick up the PS4 version on Tuesday (hopefully, it won't be crowded). Don't want to risk download speeds being slow or PSN acting plus Gamestop seem to have some decent pre-order bonuses plus the codes I already got from the first one we considered why not.

Rather not get close to the end of the game just to have to play it all over on the PS4 version dealing with missions that were tedious. So far it's a great game though.

Lima

I have to say that even though this game is many times better than III, I'm at sequence 5 or 6 but the story is absolute garbage.

I mean, if someone were to ask me to give a recap of stuff that's happened so far I wouldn't have a clue as to what to say. It's a whole bunch of nothing, really. Characters come and go, wild goosechases that end up in some form of anticlimax, and then you move to the next goosechase.

The most annoying thing for me is that the missions are pretty much standalone - they're individual dots and often there's no line to connect the dots. It's kind of hard to explain; You do a mission, and afterwards a marker appears somewhere on your map where you have to travel to in order to start the next mission. But nobody tells you that you have to go there, or what you're supposed to do there. There is no narrative whatsoever, it's just a series of events. It's very challenging to be even remotely invested in the story since the game does so little effort to get you invested.

I also GREATLY dislike how Edward is not an Assassin but just a random dude mocking Assassins and Templars and has but one motivation: coins. It almost feels like this game sometimes is a parody of itself. I mean, I just assassinated
Prince, and Edward's "I don't give a fuck about Assassins, it's all about the money" during the traditional after-assassination dialogue really rubbed me the wrong way.

See my posts earlier in the thread. The story is an unfocused mess. It jumps between locations way too fast and later on it will skip several years (without explaining what happened in the meantime).

Now the other AC games didn't have a super awesome story either but at least they were interesting and easy to follow and pretty much everything made sense (even if it was that weird sci-fi stuff). In Black Flag the story is just "there".

hohoXD123

Just finished the game. All in all I found it enjoyable, definitely more so than III. I thought Edward was much more likeable than Connor and we got some decent character development. Still don't think the towns and cities hold a candle to II or Brotherhood though, they really need to start focusing on that again and based on that locations email, they may very well do that in the next game.

Peff

The story makes a bit more sense if you see each sequence as "[Insert real life pirate here] has a problem and Edward solves it because he's so cool". It's still a huge mess, but it's nowhere near as much of a problem as all the goddamn tailing/eavesdropping is. There is sooo much of it...

Lima

The story makes a bit more sense if you see each sequence as "[Insert real life pirate here] has a problem and Edward solves it because he's so cool". It's still a huge mess, but it's nowhere near as much of a problem as all the goddamn tailing/eavesdropping is. There is sooo much of it...

Oh yes. If you don't like any of the stealth stuff in older AC games, stay away from Black Flag. This shit is everywhere.

Dartastic

Alright, so what's the consensus on this one? Review consensus on 3 was that it was pretty good, but in reality it was pretty shit. Review consensus on this one is that it's pretty good... is it actually good?

hohoXD123

Alright, so what's the consensus on this one? Review consensus on 3 was that it was pretty good, but in reality it was pretty shit. Review consensus on this one is that it's pretty good... is it actually good?

Yup pretty good, though still not II/Brotherhood imo

Much better than III. I like it as much as I liked II and Brotherhood : )

Scrabble

How can anyone like it as much as 2 or botherhood if the story is as garbage as people are saying?

It's not bad, just really forgettable.

Both AC1 and AC3 did a good job of painting a grey area, where there really isn't a "good and bad", just difference in ideologies. AC4 being a game based on pirates I feel had an opportunity to show the darker and more destructive side of the Assassin's ideology taken to the nth degree, what happens when men are completely free from restraint and without guidance, but they don't really go in any interesting direction with it.

And I already know since they played it safe with Edward, that the general consensus is going to be how much better and more "likeable" he is than Connor, but I still think Connor is a much better and more interesting character. He had depth, and he wasn't the typical idolized fantasy or cool guy action hero that we get in pretty much every game. His story resonated with me more than Edward's "lets go find the observatory." But because Connor actually feels like a real person people hated him. I'm usually pretty open minded when it comes to people's opinions on video games, but if you think Connor's a bad protagonist because "lol why's he so unlikeable, what a dick" than you're part of the problem on why 90% of video game characters suck and adhere to "mr perfect cool guy and likeable action hero" or "anti hero badass." Playing as a character who wasn't either of those things, has flaws, doesn't end up winning, etc was incredibly refreshing. Edward is just sort of the same devil may care video game character that's in every video game.

Having Edward become an Assassin's at the last hour of the game was so lazily done.

Effect

Beat the game this evening. Hmm. Honestly I'm still torn on the experience as a whole. Individual parts of the game are really fun but the story that is suppose to hold it all together doesn't. It's the weakest part of the game I feel.

I finished it at 61% complete. There are a number of chest, etc I can collect. However I don't think I'm going to either just yet or at all.

I do have a question about the present day sections.
Is there any point to finish hacking the rest of the computers? Will I be contacted by Shaun and Rebecca again? Does it lead to anything story wise?

Might try out the multiplayer while it's somewhat active. Then decide in a few weeks if I'll keep the game. There is no DLC on the Wii U side so unless I want to 100% the game or replay the story there would be no point with keeping the game. I do wish I had kept my copy of AC3 though in the end.

system11

Gave in and ordered the Buccaneer edition for the PS4 today, having never really been that interested in the AC series. It was a video showing the ship combat that did it.

ASTROID2

I really like some of the details in this game. I was on an island doing an assassination and all of a sudden I hear some explosions. I look and see a bunch of ships fighting each other. It was an awesome site to see.

Jedi2016

I really like some of the details in this game. I was on an island doing an assassination and all of a sudden I hear some explosions. I look and see a bunch of ships fighting each other. It was an awesome site to see.
As long as they were clear of the Jackdaw... "Stop blowin' 'oles in my ship!!!"

Mister D

for pc folks search ebay. you can easily get the nvidia promo ac4+ blacklist for like $35 or so

Sweet, thanks for the tip. I just got both for $35. I was actually going to use the Amazon B1G1 code to get NFS Rivals and ACIV for PS4. I think I'll hold out for Drive Club for my PS4 racing game and wait for NFS to get a hack to unlock 60fps on PC and maybe get it on sale. My GTX 680 should hopefully run this game better than the PS4 and with some of the reviews mentioning jaggies in the PS4 version which is gonna annoy me with all the lines and ropes on your ship, I think I'll stick to the PC version with TXAA applied. I hope I can get 60fps with all that without turning down too much stuff.

I have not played a single AC game since the first and I could not make my way through that one. Would I make a mistake if I picked this one up? Understanding I have no idea about any of the lore/background etc. Really want something else to play other than Killzone and I do not want the other game to be in the FPS genre.

For those that have played this on 360/PS3/PC is the game lengthy? Solid starting point for someone 'new' to the series? Also wonder if this will be a good showcase for 'next-gen'.

I have not played a single AC game since the first and I could not make my way through that one. Would I make a mistake if I picked this one up? Understanding I have no idea about any of the lore/background etc. Really want something else to play other than Killzone and I do not want the other game to be in the FPS genre.

For those that have played this on 360/PS3/PC is the game lengthy? Solid starting point for someone 'new' to the series? Also wonder if this will be a good showcase for 'next-gen'.

My advice is to buy AC4 for PS4. Perfect start to next gen.

Simo

I bought the art book. It is fantastic and close to 200 pages

The ce guide is also great I buy those for each AC game. They're some of the best made guides out there and great collector items.

Nice! Yeah I was looking at the art book on Amazon but was surprised by the review scores but then you only need to read the second "review" to understand why...
This book failed to deliver my intended purpose for getting it.
Due to a traumatic incident several years back, I have sought after any pirate-themed book I could acquire in hopes of discovering the perpetrators of my great offense.
For my fifteenth birthday, my grandparents took me to Pirate Island Adventure. A pirate-themed family-oriented pizza, video game, roller rink, miniature golf with a bar in the back of the establishment. Being the pirate fan that I was (I loved "Muppets Treasure Island" and "Cutthroat Island") it seemed a fitting place to celebrate. After all, I did make the honor role that month at my home school. No easy feat given the demands of the program my mother put on the six of us kids. Being held back last year, made the coursework a bit more familiar to ease the heavy workload she put on us for the three hours of class time in the four day weeks.
While enjoying the festivities in the ball pit with my grandma, grandpa headed off to the bar to meet up with his friends. Like the times before, clothes somehow go missing in the ball pit during horseplay. It was while we were looking for my grandma's shirt, that we were attacked by pirates whole smelled of alcohol. Initially, it was pretty exhilarating being at a "pirate" establishment and all. It was natural to think the "attack" was part of the show.
Things changed when the pirates became violent by descending the ball pit, held me down, grabbed my underwear by the waistband and raising it till my feet were off the floor of the ball pit. Then, they threw me down into the balls and told me to "stay there or we will make it a lot worse for you!!" They then grabbed my shirtless grandma by the wrist, threw her over one of the pirate's shoulders and left the ball pit.
Fearing for my life, I stayed hidden in the ball pit.
The next morning, while the Pirate Island Adventure employees were preparing for the day prior to opening for business, I was discovered sleeping in the ball pit. After a police report was filed, my parents were called to pick me up. I had to my recollection offered up a description of what the pirates looked like to the police sketch artist, but the best he could come up with were portraits of various cast members from Gilbert and Sullivan's "Pirates of Penzance."
I realized then, that justice would not be served unless I found the criminals myself.
Upon receiving this book and carefully reviewing it, I found it abundantly full of wonderful artwork. Careful and hastily constructed characters, environments, props and written prose enlightening the viewer to the brilliant creative process of the game's development. So much time went into the research the history of pirates is very evident in the book. Far more abundant in quality and variety than the two "Art of" books to "Pirates of the Caribbean."
All of which, served of little use to me in what I was looking for.

...the fuck? LOL

Was in the same boat, uh situation, as you as I had only played half of AC1 and haven't touched another AC game since but the setting for Black Flag appealed to me. So far it's on course to being my personal GOTY and I've barely scratched the surface.

I'd honestly have no problem double dipping for a next gen edition but the 360 version is a great looking game too.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's not bad, just really forgettable.

Both AC1 and AC3 did a good job of painting a grey area, where there really isn't a "good and bad", just difference in ideologies. AC4 being a game based on pirates I feel had an opportunity to show the darker and more destructive side of the Assassin's ideology taken to the nth degree, what happens when men are completely free from restraint and without guidance, but they don't really go in any interesting direction with it.
Christ, so true it hurts.

Overall the story wasn't bad, I was just a bit letdown after AC3s story, which I enjoyed immensely.

tino

Banned
Beat the game this evening. Hmm. Honestly I'm still torn on the experience as a whole. Individual parts of the game are really fun but the story that is suppose to hold it all together doesn't. It's the weakest part of the game I feel.

I finished it at 61% complete. There are a number of chest, etc I can collect. However I don't think I'm going to either just yet or at all.

I do have a question about the present day sections.
Is there any point to finish hacking the rest of the computers? Will I be contacted by Shaun and Rebecca again? Does it lead to anything story wise?

Might try out the multiplayer while it's somewhat active. Then decide in a few weeks if I'll keep the game. There is no DLC on the Wii U side so unless I want to 100% the game or replay the story there would be no point with keeping the game. I do wish I had kept my copy of AC3 though in the end.

I think AC4 story is on the same level of awfulness as AC3. I don't feel like typing spoiler tags on my phone so I ll wait for a spoiler thread. As far as the present day stuff sure its better, but outside of reading the future AC project location emails, none of the rest is relevent or that interesting.

My biggest issue is not the story, IMO even AC2 and brotherhood have shit stories, but how watered down and sugarcoated the pirate culture is. I think is way watered down than Jerry Bruckheimer's pirates. Its closer to Disney vision of pirates.

The story in this is basically: "I'm a pirate, fuck you, gimme coin."

I'm fine with that lol

Also I'm finding Initiates pretty buggy. Do they not give you XP for anything? When I first signed up it boosted me up like 8 levels but then reset back to level 1, 500xp. Even doing the challenges hasn't changed that.

mujun

Oh yes. If you don't like any of the stealth stuff in older AC games, stay away from Black Flag. This shit is everywhere.

Yep. I hated much of the main story in terms of missions. The stealth is terrible, tailing, eavesdropping, missions where you aren't allowed to be detected, etc.

I actually stopped playing around memory 9 or so.

I did however like the world, the ship stuff, taking out forts, upgrading my ship and the whole pirate vibe.

Top Bottom