• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

It's disappointing that the story is getting such shitty reviews... I loved the Ezio saga... including revelations.

There was a lot of missed potential for story in 3. Hopefully AC-Next Gen will actually deliver a true next step in the storyline. Go back to another cool locale like the ones we saw Ezio in. I feel like Victorian London could be really cool.

Lime

No because that would be boring. This is not a sailing simulation.

Ah yes, the ol' "real life is boring" approach to media. When the player has to be constantly stimulated with tons of impressions, action, speed and fast-moving images in order to maintain an illusory sense of enjoyment, i.e keeping her or his attention from actually stopping up and thinking about what the fuck she or he is doing.

But I'm sad to hear Ubisoft went with the car acceleration for 17th century sailing ships. Would have been much nicer with at least some sort of compromise to convey a sense of weight and importance to the ship.

Charcoal

Ah yes, the ol' "real life is boring" approach to media. When the player has to be constantly stimulated with tons of impressions, action, speed and fast-moving images in order to maintain an illusory sense of enjoyment, i.e keeping her or his attention from actually stopping up and thinking about what the fuck she or he is doing.

But I'm sad to hear Ubisoft went with the car acceleration for 17th century sailing ships. Would have been much nicer with at least some sort of compromise to convey a sense of weight and importance to the ship.
The ship does have importance and that is made clear throughout the game. As for the speed issue, no one wants to cross the Pacific Ocean in a row boat. Same can be said here.

Lima

What are you on about? This is Assassin's Creed. A mainstream multi million seller. An action game. Ain't nobody want a slow ass ship in a game like this.

And the ship is important in this game. It is yours, it is needed for many things, you can upgrade and customize it the way you want and you literally spend 50% of your time with the game on the damn thing.

sephi22

Guys, quick question before I splurge on Target's B2G1.

I loved the following AC games:
AC II
AC:B

I did not love the following AC games:
AC: R

I despised the following AC games:
ACIII
AC1

Do you think I will enjoy AC4? I have to buy 3 PS4 games and only KZ:SF is an insta-buy at the moment.

Lime

What are you on about? This is Assassin's Creed. A mainstream multi million seller. An action game. Ain't nobody want a slow ass ship in a game like this.

And the ship is important in this game. It is yours, it is needed for many things, you can upgrade and customize it the way you want and you literally spend 50% of your time with the game on the damn thing.

Yeah I probably expect too much. I was also talking about the upstart speed, not cruising speed. The former is just incredibly unrealistic if the ship immediately achieves speed when going from a full stop in a harbor to cruise speed. This annoys me to no end :lol

Guys, quick question before I splurge on Target's B2G1.

I loved the following AC games:
AC II
AC:B

I did not love the following AC games:
AC: R

I despised the following AC games:
ACIII
AC1

Do you think I will enjoy AC4? I have to buy 3 PS4 games and only KZ:SF is an insta-buy at the moment.

I haven't beaten it yet, but have put in a lot of hours. I would say... It's worse than AC2/Brotherhood, but better than AC: Revelations/AC3/AC1.

Did you like the naval sections in AC3 at least? If you didn't, I wouldn't recommend the game as it's a big part of it (there's still land sections, of course).

Roto13

Is there a rule for AC developers that says the Homestead/Hideout/Villa/Whatever has to be a pain in the ass to navigate when looking for treasure chests and stuff?

Omni

Just unlocked ze Mayan armour. Very futuristic... Reminds me of something I'd expect to find in Halo or something. Well, the top half anyway.

Now to finish the story, I guess.

SJRB

Gold Member
Some of the artwork has Edward wearing what seems to be a trenchcoat over his default outfit, is that one of the unlockable outfits?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

If you want the real thing, go sailing. Games are about fun and if some aspect of real life is less fun than another choice, I prefer the developer to always go with the other choice.

If it is that important to you, you could mimic the effect just by slowly selecting the three travel speeds.

Some of the artwork has Edward wearing what seems to be a trenchcoat over his default outfit, is that one of the unlockable outfits?

Yes.

Lima

Yes. The brown cloak for example in the general store will give you that. Some of the other outfits as well.

I just finished the main storyline and although it was enjoyable it nearly had nothing to do with Assassins Creed (the political going ons were a mirror to Assassin/Templar conflict).. It really could have been its own franchise. Edward is a little too badass out of the gate. Does everyone in this world have their own ninja built in?

Omni

Is the money I make in the app automatically deposited into my in-game 'account', or is it limited to the app only?

Omni

that app is badass...i almost want to buy the game just for that
Yeaaap. The map probably isn't all that useful (at least personally, I find it easier more times than not just to use the in-game one), but the other features are pretty awesome

So I just picked up my PS4 copy from gamestop(had it preordered) and I had no idea there was a "Gamestop edition" but mine is just the regular one. Is the extra content from that edition even worth it?

I can't wait to join in on this discussion on the 15th! I have 3 shooters lined up for launch, and AC4. I'm looking for this game to be an awesome palette cleanser after all the shooting in BF4, Killzone SF and COD Ghosts.

Jedi2016

Anyone else get the PS4 version today via Amazon? The first game I ever got early and I can't even play it.
Yup.

And check your email... they sent me a promotional code for the "Hidden Mystery" DLC pack that I just now found out is their exclusive pre-order bonus.. lol. The email came from a different address, too, so it got shuffled off into my junk mail folder.

Raptomex

So I just picked up my PS4 copy from gamestop(had it preordered) and I had no idea there was a "Gamestop edition" but mine is just the regular one. Is the extra content from that edition even worth it?

Yup.

And check your email... they sent me a promotional code for the "Hidden Mystery" DLC pack that I just now found out is their exclusive pre-order bonus.. lol. The email came from a different address, too, so it got shuffled off into my junk mail folder.
Lol, yeah. I got my code yesterday.

Simo

!!

I had no idea. To be fair, the "previews" of the outfits are pretty terrible. Definately picking that one up to check it out.

Thanks guys.

One of my favorite outfits. McFarlane Toys is producing a statue with Edward wearing that outfit too:
2ewd1s8.jpg

2ue1gk9.jpg

2e1zzgm.jpg

Awesome looking but retails for $300 and only 250-300 are being produced.

Managed to get the CE guide today for $24.99 thanks to Best Buy and not removing their sale tags from October. lol Book is beautiful and full of info and details, one of the best guides released this year.

Bsigg12

Just completed the main story, gonna go through and 100% the singleplayer stuff now. I have most everything besides the legendary ships and sunken chests. Overall, I really enjoyed it and consider it in my top 10 for the year.

Certain things that stood out:

Naval battles are great. Having multiple ships move within range of you gets scary when you're staring down a Man o War and a few frigates.

The amount of detail in the collectibles and "real life" stuff is insane. Really digging into that was amazing especially if you're a Assassins Creed modern day story fan.

I didn't like killing the sea animals, it was sad.

Dead

well not really...yet
The cloak really completes the costume. Without it, it feels kind of like its missing something.

Actually, I wish it were possible to unlock the original Assassin Robes as a costume, the way they are before Edward adds the pirate gear...

Enjoying the game when I get time to play it, but I'm unsure if I should continue playing. I plan on getting it upgraded to the Xbox One version next week and could spend the time I would with this on other things.

Omni

Enjoying the game when I get time to play it, but I'm unsure if I should continue playing. I plan on getting it upgraded to the Xbox One version next week and could spend the time I would with this on other things.

I'd just wait. Game is good, but you don't want to be repeating too much stuff so soon... the story isn't terribly spectacular and you might get burnt out on it.

Omni

The metagame with Kenway's fleet doesn't seem to pay very much. I've been on and off all day today with the app and have only got 9700R. I suppose the contracts pay better the further you go into it, but at the moment things are paying maybe a bit over 1k for 5-8 hours.

plus I kinda regret sinking those man o' wars in-game, haha. Only have the one in my fleet at the moment.

Didn't want to start a new thread so maybe someone can help in here. I've only played Assassin's Creed 2 all the way through and have skipped every other one in the series. I know the major plot points for all of them though. Is jumping into this one okay? I like the ideas of what it is and kind of want to play it. Thanks

BigDug13

Didn't want to start a new thread so maybe someone can help in here. I've only played Assassin's Creed 2 all the way through and have skipped every other one in the series. I know the major plot points for all of them though. Is jumping into this one okay? I like the ideas of what it is and kind of want to play it. Thanks

Never played AC before. And I love this game. There's not really anything you need story wise.

RobbieNick

I got an AC4 related problem and I was wondering if you guys could help.

Last July, I went to the AC4 event at San Diego comic con, got some good swag and pre-ordered the game for PS4.

When I got home, I checked Amazon and they were concerned with me having an order all the way from San Diego and said they were cancelling the order. I was okay with that and decided I'll pick up the game on PS4 when I get my system later.

Today, I noticed in my checking statement that just over $65 was taken out of my account by Amazon. Apparently, it was for the pre-order they said they cancelled.

Here's the problem. The game shows up in my purchase history, but NOT in my order history. It doesn't show it as on it's way or anything. I contacted Amazon and they said they'd give me an E-Mail later on the matter. I got an E-Mail later saying to change my password and call my bank to stop the $65 charge. (Why can't they just stop the charge?)

I actually wouldn't mind if the game arrived here as my PS4 is coming soon, but without it in the order history, I have no idea if it has shipped. Should I be worried?

Alec

This game gave me the 'Shanty Bug'. I started Spotify'ing shanties and found some good ones.

Look up 'South Australia - Live' by the Storm Weather Shanty Choir. It's on the album titled Off To Sea Once More.

Lima

Lolol this game has the same bug that AC 3 had.

You guys remember whenever you used fast travel after getting that special outfit that deflects bullets (can't remember the name) and it always popped up these notifications that you got when you unlocked a bunch of stuff.

Same thing is in 4. Now whenever I fast travel I get a long list of popups in the middle of the screen about every single upgrade I bought for the Jackdaw. Hilarious.

Mordeccai

Was wondering if anybody could clarify something for me,

I bought a promo code for Black Flag from a gaffer and redeemed it online with uPlay. Was dismayed to find out it doesn't get a PC release until next week, which wasn't really an issue. The issue is, AC4 doesn't show up in my games catalogue on the uPlay client. Will it automatically pop up next week, or should I see it there regardless?

Would rather not have to contact Ubi support if I don't have to because it's always a pain in the ass.

Question about the whole Kenway's Fleet thing. I'm pretty far into it (unlocked most of the areas to ship to), but... it keep saying something like "play with friends to make it go faster!". What does this mean? Do I have to play multiplayer or something? o_O Some of them say 36 hours or something crazy like that. Also, I kinda hate how long it takes to clear out the enemy attacks each time I log into the game (after not playing for the night). Like everything is orange/red and you have to clear each area like 3 times to get it back to Safe. It's not fun and just boring. I might just stop as I have plenty of money already, lol.

Lima

No it means that friends who are playing the game can help you with their ships to make yours go faster.

If say one of your ship is on a mission it will show up as a blue ship on your friends map. He can then choose to help you by sending out one of his ships and that will make your ship go faster.

It is dumb but that is how it works.

Pitmonkey

I have to say I'm enjoying this much more than Revelations (not even going to mention III). Love being able to play without the HUD as well.

f7iIZUPh.jpg

I'm enjoying this game, certainly more than the last one, but there's something so patently absurd about having to use my iPad for a "second screen experience" when I'm holding a controller with a fucking screen in it.

White Man

Just finished. I think it was really good, but a couple of sticking points keep it from being my favorite.
1. Was there a story? This made 3 seem gripping.
2. I miss meaty big cities.
3. By late game, naval combat seems really same-y and tedious. Thank goodness the game has an awesome fast travel system.

Overall, probably my second or third favorite.

BigDug13

Saw some of that PS4 footage streamed by GamesRadar. Looked similar to current gen but with better looking textures. But the biggest boost I saw was that the framerates seemed way more stable than the PS3 version. They were playing in the middle of Havana which was a big culprit area for framerate dips and it was pretty solid.

I don't know what framerate Twitch runs at so I can't emphatically say that it is rock solid 30 fps or whatever, but I can say that there was no discernible slowdown no matter how the player was panning the camera or roof jumping across the large city.

Lima

Just finished. I think it was really good, but a couple of sticking points keep it from being my favorite.
1. Was there a story? This made 3 seem gripping.
2. I miss meaty big cities.
3. By late game, naval combat seems really same-y and tedious. Thank goodness the game has an awesome fast travel system.

Overall, probably my second or third favorite.

Good summary.

They story as pointed out is a mess, jumps between places way too much. Just feels like a bunch of mission loosely connected.

Your second point is my biggest problem with the game. I really hope they go back to to one big city. Brotherhood and Revelations are still my favorite two of the series because of that.

And your third point is completely valid. It was very boring to keep boarding those ships to get the maximum amount of materials for all the upgrades just because it was always the same. Sure ocassionaly you have to destroy the flag of the ship (which is more annoying than anything if you ask me) and stuff but still. The boarding just isn't fun after you have done it a couple of times.

White Man

3 also had some of the meaty cities problem. I like having high stuff to climb, and colonial America just can't satisfy in that regard, rither.

I hope we get back to the mythology. ACBF didn't feel like an Assassins Creed game. Really didn't like the faceless Abstergo employee floating head character either. I'm sure it'll end up being Desmond clone or something equally insane.

I hope we get back to AC3 sequels. Maybe involving the kid who saw Haytham kill his father at the opera. Or some new female assassin who is involved in the French revolution. Though I'm unsure how they'll progress the mythology because things seemed to have hit a climax with AC3.

Top Bottom