• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

I always thought that they would keep that going all to the point where you play with Desmond in a present-day Assassin's Creed at some point. Well yeah...

Yeah, that's what a lot of us thought as well. I think that might have been the plan a long time ago before they started churning out a game a year and things got away from them so they scrapped it. *shrug*

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Haven't played an AC since AC2.

I think a lot of the lower-end scores for this game come from series fatigue...

But I am so pumped for a new AC after all these years.

Gonna be my flagship PS4 game. YEAAAHHH.

It's a lazy port?

The game practically looks the same on both platforms. The PS3 is only missing some smoke effects and is obviously not 1080p native.

Are you serious? The video I watched of the Xbox One version looked exponentially better than current gen. From the dense vegetation whipping around in the storm to the increased draw distances and DX11 waves.

I won't be picking up a PS4/Xbone for several years, but even early stuff like ACIV is a massive improvement over current gen. Just the fact that it's native 1080p is a /massive/ advantage.

So I'm a few hours in, haven't upgraded my ship yet and I got a tip at the bar on a big ship out there to capture.

So, I sail out there thinking this will be easy money....basically that ship to me ->
emot-vd.gif

Lima

So I'm a few hours in, haven't upgraded my ship yet and I got a tip at the bar on a big ship out there to capture.

So, I sail out there thinking this will be easy money....basically that ship to me ->
emot-vd.gif

Yup the 4 (actually there are 5 but the two twin ships count as one) legendary ships are brutal. I took all of them down before fully upgrading my ship and that was probably the most challenging thing I ever had to do in any Assassin's Creed.

Good stuff.

Deimo5

I'm near fully upgraded and the southeast legendary ship wasn't that bad.
The northwest one wrecked me good though ha, I heard that's the hardest one?

SJRB

Gold Member

The one in the northwest corner is a bitch because supposedly that territory is "easy" according the map. Well I sailed to that point of interest and suddenly this fucking behemoth appears on the horizon and my crew was like "yo fuck dawg that ship is huge" and I glanced through my binocular monocular, did a 180 and sailed out of there as fast as I could.

That ship is MASSIVE.

Lima

Yes El Impoluto is the hardest one, the one in the northwest. You basically have to use the same tactic that he uses and ram the shit out of him. Just be really aggressive.

The one in the southeast is the easiest. It is basically a slightly better Man O' War.

Lima

Without spoiling anything please, how's the Playstation exclusive content?

3 memories. Took me about 30 minutes to complete. Kinda cool if you have played Liberation to see some more progression with her story. Graphics look very different though, especially her character model looks a lot worse. I can only think that this was stuff cutout from Liberation.

I'm kinda disappointed with the Wii U version. I'm running it off an USB stick, don't know if that's an issue but there are frequent, clear framerate drops everywhere while playing on TV.

Off-TV play is smoother, and I usually like to play my Wii U games that way, but also I'm noticing that the stream quality to the gamepad seems worse than my other games. It looks almost Onlive-ish, can't say for sure what's the problem.

Gonna upgrade to an external HDD this weekend to see if the framerate problem goes away. Doubt it, though.

I just completed the game on my WiiU from an external HDD and didnt notice any framerate drops at all.

Omni

The one in the northwest corner is a bitch because supposedly that territory is "easy" according the map. Well I sailed to that point of interest and suddenly this fucking behemoth appears on the horizon and my crew was like "yo fuck dawg that ship is huge" and I glanced through my binocular monocular, did a 180 and sailed out of there as fast as I could.

That ship is MASSIVE.
Haha. I did the same, but I attempted to stay and fight... Took not even a fifth of his health away before dying. Granted this was sequence 6 I attempted to do so.

I'm actually looking forward to the DLC in this game. I haven't finished the story yet (sequence 9 I'm at), but I'm really enjoying it. The DLC will probably be the first [expansion] that I buy in the AC series.

alf717

Why is it if you get the $59.99 game + season pass it is still less content than the Gold edition. I guess saving that penny pisses UBI off that much. I'm waiting on the PC version to unlock only 9 days left.

DrBo42

I don't know if this is even spoiler territory since it has nothing to do with the story but the link between this universe and another Ubi property is a potential outcome.

LProtag

I've only played 2, but I'm considering picking this up for PS4 because none of the other retail launch games really interest me.

omonimo

Banned
Better frame rate. No issues at all in cities. Sharper and clear graphics. Perhaps more details as well.
Source please? The last time I have read the same impressions about splinter cell, just the best res was true. Personal impressions sometimes are quite bizzarre in a forum.

D-e-f-

Banned
Source please? The last time I have read the same impressions about splinter cell, just the best res was true. Personal impressions sometimes are quite bizzarre in a forum.

? So mild frame dips during cut scenes while avoiding screen tearing from other versions is not worth mentioning or not superior?

Who did the captions on this? Random words are capitalize in every sentence. I don't understand.

I also encountered a bug where I got a ship stuck between the Jackdaw and a ship I was trying to board. Eventually, I just swam over to the ship and killed the crew. I'm not sure how I managed this clusterfuck but it was frustrating and funny.

Midou

Gonna grab this Friday along with the PS4, I relatively enjoyed AC3 even with its flaws, so I expect to enjoy this a lot. Loved the ship stuff so much.

Vizzeh

Banned
With the PS4 being so connected, socially next GEN, id absolutely LOVE a Co-OP assassins creed, full story, even if the second character isnt written into it.

Midou

With the PS4 being so connected, socially next GEN, id absolutely LOVE a Co-OP assassins creed, full story, even if the second character isnt written into it.

Yeah, something like an 'Assassin' buddy. They could also do it like Peace Walker, where you see yourself as the main character, and your friend as the 'generic Assassin', but he sees himself as the main character, and you as the 'generic Assassin', that way everyone wins, and you both get the cutscenes as the mc. Co-op assassin setup could be pretty awesome, like one person lures a target to show him something and the other assassinates the target. Any form of distraction + execution could be cool.

Effect

My own experience playing the Wii U version and reading about the issues the Ps3 and 360 versions have. Also looking at screen shots of all the versions. Some I uploaded right from the Wii U myself.

SJRB

Gold Member

It's going to be really interesting to see where Ubisoft takes this franchise now that the next generation has arrived. They've been held back by technology for so long and I feel every game has been too ambitious for current gen platforms. I can't wait to see what they'll do now they don't have to worry about memory restraints and stuff like that.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Better frame rate. No issues at all in cities. Sharper and clear graphics. Perhaps more details as well.

Really? Wow, I don't want to play the PS360 versions then... I started the WiiU version, and I found the framerate to be VERY distracting in the city...

Vizzeh

Banned
Its great isn't it. I almost lost the battle in my overview to spend a couple extra minutes just explaining how it begins. It really starts out fast. I compared it a bit to Monkey Island and Pirates of the Carribean also and came close to saying it was a game that handled like Assassins' Creed but wasn't.

You and I are the same sir. You would like it.
My review
But if you don't like my reviews on youtube(I like to talk fast).

Basically
Starts fast
Great Atmosphere
Good but easy to follow story
Many subsystems
A bit improved in combat handling
Tons of stuff to do

Fantastic review mate, loved the enthusiasm and articulation. Subscribed :)

PS enjoyed this better than alot of high profile reviews if not all of them.

EDarkness

If you don't want anyone's opinion, then why even ask? Just do some research and decide for yourself, then. I have looked at the Wii U version (version I own) and 360 version ( my roommate has it) and the Wii U version seems superior to me.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
man my willpower is at a breaking point right now, usually i played the games on ps3 and got the pc version later but i decided to wait due to all the expending on the new consoles and the more i see of this game the harder it is to hold on....

ironcreed

Banned
I never really dabbled in AC multiplayer, but gave it a whirl last night. It's honestly quite a creative and refreshing change pace from the norm and I'll definitely be spending more time with it.

Vizzeh

Banned
Yeah, something like an 'Assassin' buddy. They could also do it like Peace Walker, where you see yourself as the main character, and your friend as the 'generic Assassin', but he sees himself as the main character, and you as the 'generic Assassin', that way everyone wins, and you both get the cutscenes as the mc. Co-op assassin setup could be pretty awesome, like one person lures a target to show him something and the other assassinates the target. Any form of distraction + execution could be cool.

It's going to be really interesting to see where Ubisoft takes this franchise now that the next generation has arrived. They've been held back by technology for so long and I feel every game has been too ambitious for current gen platforms. I can't wait to see what they'll do now they don't have to worry about memory restraints and stuff like that.

I echo both of these responses, awesome times ahead: Ubisoft please take note :)

man my willpower is at a breaking point right now, usually i played the games on ps3 and got the pc version later but i decided to wait due to all the expending on the new consoles and the more i see of this game the harder it is to hold on....

glad i caved. you could always upgrade it for $10. it's big, it's gorgeous, & it's a lot more fun than the last couple games in the series...

Alec

Got my Platinum last night. First AC game I've ever Platinumed. I think I can safely say this is my favorite (this coming from someone who hated the Naval battles in AC3).

Vizzeh

Banned
Got my Platinum last night. First AC game I've ever Platinumed. I think I can safely say this is my favorite (this coming from someone who hated the Naval battles in AC3).

how many hours to platinum, havent looked at it, but im guessing is a fun platinum (providing you enjoy the game?) Iv only ever done The Last Of Us and Bio shock infinite.

Alec

how many hours to platinum, havent looked at it, but im guessing is a fun platinum (providing you enjoy the game?) Iv only ever done The Last Of Us and Bio shock infinite.

Took me about 10 hours to hit level 55 in multiplayer and 40 hours to do everything in Single Player. I enjoyed every minute of it. =)

nib95

Banned
Guys, thinking about getting this on the PS4. How are you guys finding the other versions overall? Better or worse than AC3?

Simo

Love this game, to the point I'm seeking out the CE guide along with the art book and thinking about picking up Ubi's Pirate book and encyclopedia. ironcreed is right in saying that progression and unlocks are timed perfectly although I often find myself just sailing around the North islands, looting ships and finding treasure. I just love the sailing mechanics and animations for Edward using the wheel or how the crew all get busy when you give the command to go faster.

That said with getting more invested and sucked into the world I do wish I could explore all of the interior of the Jackdaw like Mass Effect's the Normandy. I also wished I hadn't upgraded to the battering ram just for aesthetic reasons. lol

Haven't been on since Friday though so did the Community challenge get completed?

It is a much better game but I believe that they should leave the ship gameplay after this one. Improve upon the story and make the cities feel more fleshed out but maintain the accessibility of traversing between the streets and rooftops like this game. In this one it is a helluva a lot of fun to freerun across the rooftops.

Top Bottom