• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

I agree with other folks in this thread who have said the pirate parts are much more fun than the assassin parts. The assassin and stealth stuff is still so janky. Luckily, it's fairly easy and quick to get through. The cool pirate side stuff balances it out. I just captured my first fortress in the middle of a storm and it was really fun.

Megasoum

Banned
So anybody in here did the PS3 to PS4 upgrade?

If so, do you have the Limited Edition content present in game? Apparently it's supposed to be there but I don't see the golden scimitar or the treasure hunter costume.

Do I have to get to a specific point in the game to have access to them? I already have my boat with the captain's cabin and all that.

Jedi2016

So anybody in here did the PS3 to PS4 upgrade?

If so, do you have the Limited Edition content present in game? Apparently it's supposed to be there but I don't see the golden scimitar or the treasure hunter costume.

Do I have to get to a specific point in the game to have access to them? I already have my boat with the captain's cabin and all that.
I'm pretty sure with all of the bonus content, you still have to find it in-game, it doesn't just put it into your inventory. Was it just the gear, or was there a location, too? Try checking that location.

GravyButt

Any word on the 1080p PS4 patch for this game? It's still sitting on my couch in its wrapping. I really want to open it and play it in all of it's glory...

Wondering the same myself. Its the only ps4 game I have that I havent played yet. I was going to try to play this morning, but figured id wait a little longer for the graphics patch.

If anyone knows keep us posted! Thanks!

Megasoum

Banned
I'm pretty sure with all of the bonus content, you still have to find it in-game, it doesn't just put it into your inventory. Was it just the gear, or was there a location, too? Try checking that location.

I don't know...the only info I have is from the vouncher that came with the limited edition on PS3.

Jedi2016

Sometimes new hackable computers pop up on your map, but as far as I know, they won't go anywhere.
Ah, that's how you find them. I was just wandering around until I found open workstations. I think I've got maybe four or five.

Is there any risk of getting "caught" hacking (aside from any potential story points)? Or does no one notice you going into cubicles that don't belong to you?

Roto13

Ah, that's how you find them. I was just wandering around until I found open workstations. I think I've got maybe four or five.

Is there any risk of getting "caught" hacking (aside from any potential story points)? Or does no one notice you going into cubicles that don't belong to you?

Nobody cares. :p There's no fail state in the out-of-animus stuff aside from that annoying frogger minigame.

GoDLiKe

Just finished the campaign. For me the story started to get interesting towards the ending.

The "assassin gameplay" needs a major overhaul. It's now boring and there are no new moves. The "pirate gameplay" on the other hand is amazing. It would be better to start another franchise with Black Flag instead of another AC. I would like to see another game with Edward, which is an interesting character, but I can't see this happening.

All in all, good game, definitely better than ACIII. Now I'll go back for the extras. The world map is huge and I missed a lot of hidden areas and items. Unfortunately it's sad to see that AC lost that "mystery" involving ancient things and so on, they barely explored this in IV.

Haines

Banned
I currently playing AC3. Its my first AC3, and Ive heard some people talk poorly of it, and to be honest, Im not finding that much "joy" in the game. I kind of have to make my own, giant bomb style.

Is it worth playing through to get into the series, and than proceed to 4 in the future?

Morts

This is the first Assassin's Creed game where I'm always out of money. Loving it so far though, up through Sequence 5.

dolabla

I thought that patch when you first put it in your PS4 is the 1080p patch?

When you click the options button on the AC4 tab in the PS4 menu and go to "update history" (I think it is), it says the latest patch improves visual, sound etc. What does that mean? I thought that was the 1080p patch.

The game looks really good and runs well.

USC-fan

Banned
I have been liking this game A LOT on ps4. Runs so well and cannot wait on 1080p update. Sure it doesn't look like killzone but its a lot of fun.

Hope a lot of people give this a look on ps4. Feel like its being over looked because its doesn't look "next Gen."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam redeemable, correct?

Only Amazon offers Steam-redeemable keys for AssCreed. Beyond that, there's the Humble Store selling Steam keys for Splinter Cell: Blacklist, but this is literally it as far as Steam keys for Uplay games are concerned. I don't understand why Ubi doesn't expand the practice more -- at the very least there is zero harm in offering Steam keys via the Ubishop since 100% of the cost price goes to Ubi's own pockets.

Raven77

Does this game have a day / night cycle like most other open world games?

Would be a real shame if it doesn't. I'm kind of hating that my first 3 hours with the game have been spent at high-noon. Would have been cool to do the fort mission at night.

Would it be possible to trade Knack in for this game at GameStop? I really want AC4 now that I watched some live streams. Looks amazing!

daftstar

Just finished the campaign. The side content is really good too so I spent a ton of time collecting all the treasures and animus fragments. Fully upgraded the Jackdaw and now I'm ready to take on those legendary ships!

It's definitely a big step up from AC3 and most likely one of my top 10 games this year.

Nizz

Really liking this on PS4. It's super smooth and looks great.

HOWEVER, the Uplay servers are ALWAYS down, seriously I've never seen them up, and it fucking pops up a little window every 10 minutes telling me it can't connect. So annoying.

Also, I've had the game crash on my 3 times in the last 2 hours of play. Just errors out and lets you send a report to Sony. Anyone else seeing this often?
Which is why I'm so nervous about that patch coming to PS4 to up the rez to the full 1080p. It sounds like it's running smooth because it's at 900p. I really, really hope the game is just as smooth after that patch.

And if it's not I hope there's an option to lower the rez to 900p again to get the framerate smooth again.

Rhindle

Which is why I'm so nervous about that patch coming to PS4 to up the rez to the full 1080p. It sounds like it's running smooth because it's at 900p. I really, really hope the game is just as smooth after that patch.

And if it's not I hope there's an option to lower the rez to 900p again to get the framerate smooth again.
When is the patch coming anyway? Have we gotten any indication?

Loakum

Banned
Gamestop never gave me my Black Island Pack code, for pre ordering Assassin's Creed Black Flag for the PS4. It wasn't inside the game case, or on the receipt. I had to call Ubisoft customer service, to get one.

oSoLucky

I pretty much ignored this after being so incredibly dissatisfied with AC3. Then I skimmed a few reviews saying it's better, and figured maybe I'd get it when it dropped in price. Then comes Amazon's B2G1 deal and I figured this would be my free one.

Started playing it yesterday and all day today. HOLY FUCK IT'S GREAT. It's AC2 levels of good! I really like Edward as a character, and they even do enough with the tired Templar vs. Assassin stuff that it feels fresh.

Really glad AC is back on track!

Side note: how is Liberation HD?

Sigh. I have tried to ignore this game, but you are at least the 80th person that I've seen echoing this same sentiment. Guess I better give it a try myself now. Maybe my series fatigue reset after only playing 6 hours of AC3.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So glad to hear that the game, as a private sim, is fun. That's all I want.

When is the 1080P patch coming? Lots of posters asking but no answers.

Deadstar

So glad to hear that the game, as a private sim, is fun. That's all I want.

When is the 1080P patch coming? Lots of posters asking but no answers.

Don't think anyone knows yet. I played some this weekend and it looks terrible compared to knack and killzone. Not jumping back in until the patch is out.

Kemal86

My PS4 is SUPER LOUD when reading the AC4 disc. There's no noticeable sound when playing BF4 or Skylanders off the disc

It also seems to be getting worse. Yesterday it was a "whrr whrr" sound, today it's "whrr whrr WHRRR CLATHUNKTHUNK whrr whrr" repeating constantly. It almost sounds like the disc is hitting something when it thunks.

EDIT: For shits, I just deleted the installed data from my PS4 and then put the disc back in. I let it cache the initial data then booted it up. No disc noises! We'll see how long it holds up. Still waiting for the game to finish fully installing itself.

M3z_

Playing on PS4

I can't believe just how stupidly dense all the inane side bullshit is in this game. I loved AC2 and AC Brotherhood, and maybe if I went back I would see they exhibited this characteristic as well just to a lesser degree, I don't remember enough to say. However I just finished sequence 6 of this game and holy shit I can't take this game very seriously. Every other MAIN STORY mission is a pseudo tutorial or straight forward tutorial for one of the billion side activities that exist in the game. A mission for deep sea diving, a mission for boat pirating, a mission for hunting, a mission for Mayan shit, a mission for capturing forts, a mission for lowering wanted level, a mission for there fleet management mini game, so on and so on. I feel like this game is the most ad hoc game I have ever played. It's like they find it impossible to either create unique situations for the main story, or refuse to only allow players to do something once and must force it into a continued bit of gameplay through side missions. Not to mention the ridiculous amounts of collectibles. It feels like this game appeals to all the shallowest measures of game design.

That's not to say I think the game is bad, but just that it actively works to cheapen itself through exploiting everything it does to the point that it actively detracts from the story. One can only imagine how much contrivance exists in the story in an effort to make possible all the tutorials they need to give for their side shit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Don't think anyone knows yet. I played some this weekend and it looks terrible compared to knack and killzone. Not jumping back in until the patch is out.
I'll probably hold off on playing my copy, too. Shame because I'm also waiting on BF4 and COD patches! The only game I can play is KZSF.

Playing on PS4

I can't believe just how stupidly dense all the inane side bullshit is in this game. I loved AC2 and AC Brotherhood, and maybe if I went back I would see they exhibited this characteristic as well just to a lesser degree, I don't remember enough to say. However I just finished sequence 6 of this game and holy shit I can't take this game very seriously. Every other MAIN STORY mission is a pseudo tutorial or straight forward tutorial for one of the billion side activities that exist in the game. A mission for deep sea diving, a mission for boat pirating, a mission for hunting, a mission for Mayan shit, a mission for capturing forts, a mission for lowering wanted level, a mission for there fleet management mini game, so on and so on. I feel like this game is the most ad hoc game I have ever played. It's like they find it impossible to either create unique situations for the main story, or refuse to only allow players to do something once and must force it into a continued bit of gameplay through side missions. Not to mention the ridiculous amounts of collectibles. It feels like this game appeals to all the shallowest measures of game design.

That's not to say I think the game is bad, but just that it actively works to cheapen itself through exploiting everything it does to the point that it actively detracts from the story. One can only imagine how much contrivance exists in the story in an effort to make possible all the tutorials they need to give for their side shit.

I'll agree with this. It's brought up often that AC has a lot of ABC filler content. Would have been nice if they left all of that stuff out of the story missions.

Also I still think it sucks that they took out one of the genuinely good features that they added in Brotherhood (Assassin Recruits). The difficulty in combat is non-existent, but it was still fun to watch them assassinate stuff.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Played AC4 fanatically all weekend long, much to the chagrin of my wife.

Like almost everyone else, I absolutely love it.

The experience is a little weird though. It's hard for me to articulate. I guess it's that the pirate premise and the assassin gameplay don't mix very well? It's like the game is wearing a pair of clothes that don't really fit.

Pirates are the opposite of stealthy. They are the definition of flashy and intimidating. I also wouldn't consider the pirate arch-type to be especially agile, either.

The moment to moment gameplay is so fun and the world so enjoyable to explore (and gorgeous to boot) that I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it. But it's always there in the back of my head when I'm scrabbling along rooftops or balance-running along a set of posts - is this how a pirate moves? Is this what a pirate does?

It really kinda makes no sense. The way Kenway is written and the way the game is designed often seem at odds. Cutscene-Kenwa doesn't seem like he would do the things that gameplay-Kenway does mere moments later. Cutscene-Kenway doesn't seem capable of leaping around that way - something I never felt with Altair or Ezio.

In any case, I'm absolutely hooked and the core gameplay loops are so strong and rewarding that I'm working my way to 100% - so it's not like any of this bothers me over-much. I'm just kinda surprised that the convo within Ubi must have been "Wait - a pirate assassin? That doesn't even make sense they're total opposites. Fuck it - make it anyway."

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Playing on PS4

IIRC Assassin's Creed just opened up the world to you, offering a tutorial as soon as you embarked on a new type of activity. "You're off to assassinate someone, would you like a tutorial on the various methods available in the game?"

I miss those animus-tutorial segments.

I miss alot from the first AC, to be honest. With all it's flaws, it stayed closest to it's original premise.

Tankshell

Am enjoying this game so far, but the next one in the series really needs a complete reboot with new/overhauled game mechanics.

The stealth mechanics work, barely... why the the hell can I still not crouch/crawl when not beside some conveniently places bushes, it's silly for a game about being stealthy.

Sora_N

Am enjoying this game so far, but the next one in the series really needs a complete reboot with new/overhauled game mechanics.

The stealth mechanics work, barely... why the the hell can I still not crouch/crawl when not beside some conveniently places bushes, it's silly for a game about being stealthy.

Also don't really like how guards don't really react to dead bodies, they just walk by.

SJRB

Gold Member
Does this game have a day / night cycle like most other open world games?

Would be a real shame if it doesn't. I'm kind of hating that my first 3 hours with the game have been spent at high-noon. Would have been cool to do the fort mission at night.

It does have the day/night cycle. For some reason the first few hours the cycle is locked. It got me worried too at first, because for a moment I thought they ditched the cycle.

I think overall the cycle is pretty poorly executed [on the PS3, at least]. The sun rises and sets extremely fast, and nighttime lasts for about 5 minutes. I'm curious to see the PS4 version with its updated graphics engine, because everything in the PS3 version feels artificial.

void666

Banned
I find it strange how Edward can
mimic every assassin's hability. He can do the parkour thing, he's agile as hell, he can use dual hidden blades as a pro. And he never had assassin training. Unless there's some sort of plot twist down the road.

So far im enjoying it. I can't believe i'm going to say this about an assassin's creed game but i'm having fun.

Edit: About the day and night thing. I wish i could make nights darker. I set gamma to 3 and night was perfect but day was too dark.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Just picked this up on Steam due to all the positive talk here and from friends (and the screens). I've actually not really played an Assassin's Creed before, so I'm looking forward to it.

Did you buy it on Steam directly? You can pick up the GE from a Brazilian trader for around $60.

Edit: Drizzle helped me out with the SGSF.

Yeah I just bought Gold straight from Steam. Had some wallet funds built up anyway from catching up on card idling. Thanks for the heads up though!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just picked this up on Steam due to all the positive talk here and from friends (and the screens). I've actually not really played an Assassin's Creed before, so I'm looking forward to it.

Did you buy it on Steam directly? The RU/CIS DDE isn't an option any more but you can pick up the GE from a Brazilian trader for around $60. Food for thought if you paid $60 for the standard edition.

Edit: Drizzle helped me out with the SGSF (which is cheaper on the Brazilian store for some odd reason; it's even ~$100 on Steam RU).

Edit edit:
Yeah I just bought Gold straight from Steam. Had some wallet funds built up anyway from catching up on card idling. Thanks for the heads up though!

Ah, I didn't realise it was the GE. Odd that it's not mentioned in the description that pops up in the activity feed.

Top Bottom