• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

system11

ah ok, thanks, I guess we have no ETA on the patch?

I've been looking all over for a date, all I can find is the 'soon' we were told in the initial announcement. I have a bad relationship with that word after an extended period of abuse by Sega of America.

Are you getting that from an AC book or comic or something? Because it certainly wasn't indicated in the games. All of Ezio's training happened after
his father & bros. were killed.
The only thing his father ever referred to was "your special ability" which all of his offspring would have inherited.

EDIT: Although he and his brothers seemed to do the Leap of Faith just for fun... hmm, wonder where they picked that up? I may have to concede!

Maybe. I have read most of the AC books, and I can't remember which parts are in the games and which aren't. Not to go off on a tangent, but people should really read the AC3 novelization if you care about the plot in the historical sections at all. It bridges the gap between AC4:Black Flag and AC3. It's all told from
Haythams
perspective.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
ah ok, thanks, I guess we have no ETA on the patch?

I've been looking all over for a date, all I can find is the 'soon' we were told in the initial announcement. I have a bad relationship with that word after an extended period of abuse by Sega of America.

im starting to believe that patch will never come, that blog must have been a way to ease things a bit since at the end the truth about the game resolution would ended up coming out, give all the shit you want to COD and IW but at least they had their patch ready day 1, shame on you UBI

ReaperXL7

So apprently DLC is already on the way? I noticed on the PS4 AC UI icon that underneath it listed a few different things related to AC4 and of them listed a DLC called Freedom Something(i think its cry cannot check right at the moment). This is a game I have no intensions of dropping anytime soon, so im actually really interested in what kind of DLC they come up with for it.

Anyone have any thoughts on how they can top the pirates/ship battles for a possible AC5? The Animus stuff seems to suggest they could do almost anything with the series going forward, ill be really curious to see where the next game is set.

Roto13

So apprently DLC is already on the way? I noticed on the PS4 AC UI icon that underneath it listed a few different things related to AC4 and of them listed a DLC called Freedom Something(i think its cry cannot check right at the moment). This is a game I have no intensions of dropping anytime soon, so im actually really interested in what kind of DLC they come up with for it.

It's Adewale's story.

SJRB

Gold Member
Are you getting that from an AC book or comic or something? Because it certainly wasn't indicated in the games. All of Ezio's training happened after
his father & bros. were killed.
The only thing his father ever referred to was "your special ability" which all of his offspring would have inherited.

EDIT: Although he and his brothers seemed to do the Leap of Faith just for fun... hmm, wonder where they picked that up? I may have to concede!

His father kind of trained him in freerunning by making him run around town delivering messages and whatnot. Ezio and his brothers also climbed around a lot for fun. The city's announcers in Florence even mention this every once in a while, which is a nice detail. In any case, Ezio being a capable climber is infinitely more believable than Edward's "I'm a pirate and I can climb like a pro for no reason".

The series' decline in "what it takes to become an assassin" is something that really annoys me. Altair trained his entire life to become an Assassin, mastering the art of freerunning, fighting, blending in. That was cool stuff, and it showed that Assassins were special - it takes years of practice, skill and dedication and only a select few are good enough.

And now we have a washed up schmuck like Edward who has spent his life on sea and who has elite climbing/fighting skills for no reason whatsoever, who puts on a hood and wears a blade is now an Assassin. Not because he believes in the cause, but because he wants money and power [which is the exact opposite of what Assassins represent] and that sucks.

Roto13

His father kind of trained him in freerunning by making him run around town delivering messages and whatnot. Ezio and his brothers also climbed around a lot for fun. The city's announcers in Florence even mention this every once in a while, which is a nice detail. In any case, Ezio being a capable climber is infinitely more believable than Edward's "I'm a pirate and I can climb like a pro for no reason".

The series' decline in "what it takes to become an assassin" is something that really annoys me. Altair trained his entire life to become an Assassin, mastering the art of freerunning, fighting, blending in. That was cool stuff, and it showed that Assassins were special - it takes years of practice, skill and dedication and only a select few are good enough.

And now we have a washed up schmuck like Edward who has spent his life on sea and who has elite climbing/fighting skills for no reason whatsoever, who puts on a hood and wears a blade is now an Assassin. Not because he believes in the cause, but because he wants money and power [which is the exact opposite of what Assassins represent] and that sucks.

He's not an Assassin.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't think you should view Edward as an assassin. In fact the game kinda goes to some length to tell you this through characters like Kidd.

Just finished on PS3. Best AC since 2. An absolute blast. What's funny though, is that I decided after to finally do the Aveline DLC, and HOLY CRAP. That was probably one of the funnest AC missions I ever played. It felt like Aveline moved twice as fast as any AC protagonist to date (and I played Liberation but didn't feel the speed because of the poor framerate.) or maybe it was a placebo affect because of how lithe she was. But goddamn Aveline can seriously move. Made it super satisfying to fly around the prison area and jack fools one after the other. I'm going to double dip day one on Liberation HD.

surely he has some assassin family or something... otherwise desmond shouldn't be able to channel connor... unless the native american mom was an assassin? hmmm..

I love the historical write-ups as usual and it's great how they keep humor in them with the dev notes, but I wish they showed more text on screen at once instead of like five lines that you have to be constantly scrolling through. So much wasted space on some of the menus.

Edit: I take it there's still no eta on the patch?

system11

im starting to believe that patch will never come, that blog must have been a way to ease things a bit since at the end the truth about the game resolution would ended up coming out, give all the shit you want to COD and IW but at least they had their patch ready day 1, shame on you UBI

Well technically 'soon after release' can be early December given the EU PS4 date.

Roto13

surely he has some assassin family or something... otherwise desmond shouldn't be able to channel connor... unless the native american mom was an assassin? hmmm..

Edward doesn't need to have any Assassin blood in him. Everyone has many, many, many ancestors branching off in many, many, many directions. Being an Assassin was never a prerequisite for being able to be accessed through the Animus. :p

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
shouldn't we tweet ubisoft for an answer on the release of the patch? if enough people make some noise maybe they will say something meaningful about it

Omni

hunh. my copy (ps3) must be special? i've had many instances where a body's drawn attention, & many instances when i've been swarmed (particularly when boarding enemy ships). can't say either things' consistently happened, but both've happened most of the time...

Well yes, you get swarmed quite a lot. But the enemies literally take turns in attacking you... In something like 40 hours of gameplay, only three times did more than one enemy attack me at the same time (which was easily countered by pressing the B button). There needs to be more depth in battles instead of them being a group of 1v1s which play out the same every time.

Deimo5

Well yes, you get swarmed quite a lot. But the enemies literally take turns in attacking you... In something like 40 hours of gameplay, only three times did more than one enemy attack me at the same time (which was easily countered by pressing the B button). There needs to be more depth in battles instead of them being a group of 1v1s which play out the same every time.

Yeah I have 40+ hours and performed like one double-counter. It happened a lot more often in 3.

Edward doesn't need to have any Assassin blood in him. Everyone has many, many, many ancestors branching off in many, many, many directions. Being an Assassin was never a prerequisite for being able to be accessed through the Animus. :p

I guess... its more fun if there was some path down all the way to desmond... but then did ezio or fuck, altair even have kids?

can assassins even have kids?

wait they only lose a finger.

Roto13

I guess... its more fun if there was some path down all the way to desmond... but then did ezio or fuck, altair even have kids?

can assassins even have kids?

wait they only lose a finger.

They have to have kids in order for their genetic memories to eventually reach Desmond. (This is why all of the player characters have plot armour. :p) You see Altair's kids in Revelations and Ezio's in Embers.

a huge disappointment of 3 was the lack of any sort of 'altair's armor' that you get from doing side tombs and stuff. any of that in 4, or are armors stuff just new skins?

Roto13

a huge disappointment of 3 was the lack of any sort of 'altair's armor' that you get from doing side tombs and stuff. any of that in 4, or are armors stuff just new skins?

The Templar armour decreases damage taken and the Mayan armour makes you bulletproof. There are a couple of other outfits with special properties as well.

3 did have a ring that made you bulletproof if you collected all of the doohickies. That's kind of like an armour except it doesn't change your look.

Okay so I just got a treasure map when you first get to an island and learn how to hunt. Is this treasure map specifically for this island? Because I can't make heads or tails of it.

Or do you get treasure maps that are for totally other areas?

ruxtpin

Banned
Okay so I just got a treasure map when you first get to an island and learn how to hunt. Is this treasure map specifically for this island? Because I can't make heads or tails of it.

Or do you get treasure maps that are for totally other areas?

They're for other areas. I think the first one you find is for the immediate area you're in, but all the others I've found - you'll see a set of coordinates in the lower right - set those coordinates on your map to find the island/location for that specific map.

Also - has anyone else found out how to get the gold cutlasses that you're supposed to gain by putting in the pre-order download code?

AGITΩ

I might be super late to the party, but I posted this on Miiverse a few day ago and wondering if anyone else noticed:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUgHsQKKAFg
anyone else remember that ubisoft screenshot of a "new prince of persia" about a year ago? Tell me the 3rd image does not look like the character shown.
zlCfzRME9sE5bBtG0P

AGITΩ;90434027 said:
Nope, I was highly upset that I went out of my way to get them only to end up with an Abstergo Achievement.

Damn, well that's a lot of time wasted (I've collected most of them). I was hoping it'd give me some sort of armor, outfit, or weapons...

Also, I'm annoyed my game is still bugged out and I cannot complete all the Assassin Contracts. :(

th4tguy

Well technically 'soon after release' can be early December given the EU PS4 date.

I really hoping it will be out in time or earlier than the Xbone launch. I have the game on my PS4 but am willing to wait to play it until the patch. I have a few other games I'm working through on PS4 to keep me busy until then so the wait isn't too bad. Just wish they would hurry up.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Just beat it today on 360, really really liked it. Hope to God someone at Ubisoft is already pitching a Pirate's Creed game.

This game was just too much fun for them not to make another, I just hope they have the sense to not make it an AC game because pretty much all it's flaws stemmed from that baggage. Though I have to say most of the annoying AC missions types and filler were rather benign and not a pain unlike ACR/3, still annoying occasionally and shallow but still OK. But the highlight was all the pirate related stuff, sailing, ship battles, boarding, etc.

I think I would just about die if they made a game with AC4 style gameplay and Age of Pirates depth. More cities, more nations, more ships, and a straight forward Pirate's tale without the terrible AC story crap in it would be pure bliss.

tirminyl

I'm really having fun considering I had to reinstall the game on my PS4 due to constant freezing. Called it a night after a few hours of good gameplay with another game freeze.

If I'm remembering correctly when I redeemed the codes it said something about being emailed the key on release date.

What time that will be is anyone's guess

Actually in my email from Ubisoft it says the game will appear in the GAMES section of the client upon release. So I'm waiting to see if it appears right at midnight...

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Been trying to hold out on playing till the 1080p patch but ugggh. Its so tempting.

Help me GAF.

GloveSlap

Been trying to hold out on playing till the 1080p patch but ugggh. Its so tempting.

Help me GAF.

Im doing the same, but its pretty ridiculous that we have to do it at all. Out of my 3 launch games I can only really play 1 (Battlefield 4 and AC4 being the others).

Top Bottom