• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Jedi2016

What is the deal with the PS4 version of this game? The game looks so washed out when i'm not moving the camera. If I slowly move the camera the colors become more vibrant.

When I stop moving the camera, its like the color drains out a bit.

Also, is there any way to turn off the mini-map indicators showing you EXACTLY where treasures / etc. are? What is the point of exploring if you are literally told where to go.
1) Sounds like your TV. Check for any processing or setting that may be introducing this. For games, you really want to turn off everything that the TV may be trying to do to the signal.

2) There's a HUD section of the options that lets you turn off individual things. There's quite a few options, that may be one of them. I think Far Cry 3 (where they borrowed that UI element from) had options to turn it off.

Roto13

So I bought a PS4 and I'm loving the thing. Problem is I only have one major launch game (KZ) and the PSN+ games to play on it. KZ is great but since I'm not much of a competitive MP kind of person I can see me having my fill of it by early/mid December. So I need something to fill that new console itch till Feb/March.

In comes AC4. Out of the rest of the launch titles this one seems like the one I'm most likely to enjoy. My question is, would I be doing myself harm by playing AC4 before playing AC3?

I have played AC1 and AC2 to completion and I have played part way through Brotherhood.

On a technical side is AC4 worth buying on PS4? I'm not expecting a technical masterpiece since it is multiplatform but is it the "definitive" version of the game(at least till the PC version)?

AC3 only matters if you care about the modern day stuff.

Phazon

yeah, if you buy it from ubisoft it doesnt show up until release

Urgh >_<

Kinda stupid to see pirates and early buyers playing it already while people who bought it from Uplay have to wait. But it's not like there aren't any other games out, so I'll wait patiently :)

Lionelle

Banned
Has anyone ran in to The Gunpowder Plot Bug. You have to steal 4 Gunpowder kegs but everytime I press B near one, nothing happens. Anyone here that know how to fix it?

SJRB

Gold Member
Has anyone ran in to The Gunpowder Plot Bug. You have to steal 4 Gunpowder kegs but everytime I press B near one, nothing happens. Anyone here that know how to fix it?

Do you keep the button pressed? It's like the looting mechanic, you have to keep the button pressed a couple of seconds.

Raven77

1) Sounds like your TV. Check for any processing or setting that may be introducing this. For games, you really want to turn off everything that the TV may be trying to do to the signal.

2) There's a HUD section of the options that lets you turn off individual things. There's quite a few options, that may be one of them. I think Far Cry 3 (where they borrowed that UI element from) had options to turn it off.

Thanks for the reply, as for the graphics, pretty sure it's the game, only game I've ever noticed it in. I have nothing set on my tv that would cause it.

void666

Banned
I pre-ordered the game through the uplay store. I assumed i could pre-load the game right away. But to my surprise uplay has no pre-load feature.
Tried asking for a refund but there's no way to do it in my own language (portuguese) version of uplay website. So i use a vnp to access the US version. I filled the formulary but apparently it doesn't work either. Keeps loading forever after i hit submit.

I hate ubisoft. Why i keep giving them my money ? Why??

Mashing

This is my first AC game I've played (bought it with my PS4) and I'm loving it. Wondering if I should go play some of the earlier games in the series. Does the previous games have this games sense of exploration and side-quests? Which ones would be worth playing?

FLAguy954

Glad to see Ubisoft gave the Wii U some love this time - rock textures compared to Assassin's Creed 3.

bAg8wHD.jpg

OqwBQQU.jpg

Goddamn what an improvement! Good job Ubi.

Nexas

This game is so schizophrenic. The open world is awesome and is filled with a ton of fun activities, but the main story is still Assassin's Creed with its shitty forced stealth and eavesdrop missions. I would ignore the story completely, but I have keep progressing through it to unlock the entire map.

It's like the devs have learned so much while at the same time have learned nothing at all.

This game is so schizophrenic. The open world is awesome and is filled with a ton of fun activities, but the main story is still Assassin's Creed with its shitty forced stealth and eavesdrop missions. I would ignore the story completely, but I have keep progressing through it to unlock the entire map.

It's like the devs have learned so much while at the same time have learned nothing at all.

hey, it's an assassin's creed game, that just happens to also be an amazing pirate game. i would've been just as happy with a straight pirate game myself, but, if this's what it took to get something resembling one (& a very good one at that), i'm not gonna complain...

would love to see this game spawn a non-ac pirate spin-off series. ya never know :) ...

Dead

well not really...yet
Im going to assume this has been selling pretty well as nearly every PS4 purchase Ive seen here has had this game attached and almost everyone I know bought it as well...

so has anyone dipped their toes in ps4 multi? is it populated yet?

Roto13

I like the tailing and eavesdropping missions when they're well designed. I don't like the ones where I end up hanging around 15 feet away from my targets, murdering dozens of guards while they fail to notice the carnage.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Really liking this on PS4. It's super smooth and looks great.

HOWEVER, the Uplay servers are ALWAYS down, seriously I've never seen them up, and it fucking pops up a little window every 10 minutes telling me it can't connect. So annoying.

Also, I've had the game crash on my 3 times in the last 2 hours of play. Just errors out and lets you send a report to Sony. Anyone else seeing this often?

Does Uplay usually have preloads? I really don't want to have to wait until the day of release to download it along with everyone else, my download speeds are already painfully slow.

NIN90

So if I get the game via Nvidia's promo (which requires me to buy the game on the Uplay store and apply a coupon that makes the game free) do I get early access?

iNvid02

no as its still getting it directly from ubisoft. i did that with blacklist and it only showed up on release day

to play early you need to redeem a key from a digital edition or the physical dvd

Thanks for the reply, as for the graphics, pretty sure it's the game, only game I've ever noticed it in. I have nothing set on my tv that would cause it.

Do you have an LED set? I had a Samsung LED that would change it's look anytime I started to pan the camera. Annoyed me so much I didn't keep the TV more than a couple of months.

Have not seen the issue you are describing at all with AC4.

Anyone know how to use the vita as second screen? been trying for the last 10 minutes, and all I'm seeing is "swipe navigate" and "Tap: Enter" which none are working and I'm not seeing the map at all.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I literally can't play this for more than 30-45 minutes without it crashing and dumping me back to the PS4 home screen. SO frustrating!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Alright - so I have to admit it - I just, for the life of me, don't get Assassin's Creed. Now, that's not to say I don't understand the allure or why people like it; no, that I can recognize.

But I just don't know how to play these games. I bought the Revelations, III, and now Black Flag - oh, and Liberation on Vita. And on all of them, I can barely make it two or three hours in before I just give up trying to understand how to play.

If I rush in, I get detected.
If I play stealthy, I fall behind.
I sneak with a crowd, and I can't walk past them.
I ignore crowds, and guards see me.
I try to parkour, and I grab onto a million things I don't mean to.
I don't parkour, and there's a guard in my way.

I'm, like, 45 measly minutes into Black Flag on PS4. I followed two guards, easdropped, and then pick-pocketed a key. Now I have to make into into this castle thing near the water. Can't go through the front - there's two guards.

Can't swim under bridge and then go in - there's a guard.

So I swim around. There only seems to be one place to go in - so I climb up, light some things on fire, I guess, it countsdown, and boom! Twenty guards rush in.

So I try the same thing - this time I jump out after lighting them. Boom. Guards supposedly rush in. I swim around. Two guards still there.

So then I just rush in, dropping bombs as I go. I get to the top - like 20 guards are onto me.

I'm pretty good at games - I don't know why I struggle so much with these. Guess they're just not for me.

/rant ;p

Dead

well not really...yet
Or you could just hire the dancers not far from the castle entrance, use them to distract the two guards at the entrance, then run in and platform around until you get to where you need to be!

Mifune

Mehmber
Alright - so I have to admit it - I just, for the life of me, don't get Assassin's Creed. Now, that's not to say I don't understand the allure or why people like it; no, that I can recognize.

But I just don't know how to play these games. I bought the Revelations, III, and now Black Flag - oh, and Liberation on Vita. And on all of them, I can barely make it two or three hours in before I just give up trying to understand how to play.

I'm, like, 45 measly minutes into Black Flag on PS4. I followed two guards, easdropped, and then pick-pocketed a key. Now I have to make into into this castle thing near the water. Can't go through the front - there's two guards.

So I swim around. There only seems to be one place to go in - so I climb up, light some things on fire, I guess, it countsdown, and boom! Twenty guards rush in.

So I try the same thing - this time I jump out after lighting them. Boom. Guards supposedly rush in. I swim around. Two guards still there.

So then I just rush in, dropping bombs as I go. I get to the top - like 20 guards are onto me.

I'm pretty good at games - I don't know why I struggle so much with these. Guess they're just not for me.

/rant ;p

Honestly that castle mission was oddly placed. Actually quite challenging and you don't even have all your skills yet. And then the missions right after are stupidly easy. I love AC but the missions where you are forced to be practically invisible are rarely fun.

JCizzle

/rant ;p

On the side of the castle near the haystack assassinate that guard into the hay. Then there is a section there to jump along to get to the back near the galley entrance. I haven't gotten past that part though because it's also guarded by like 900 ppl.

Doran902

evesdropping, tailing missions and chase missions in the main story are taking this game from a 10 down to a 7 for me, im getting some buggy ass shit and my dude will always jump on things im not even pointing at which usually ends up in a failed mission

So couple quick questions

1. What is the benefit to doing optional extras and 100% synchronizing, anything special?

2. Is there a way to redo the assassination side missions if you screw up and get detected or whatever?

FluxWaveZ

Finished sequence 03 and I've got to say I'm having a much better time with this game than the pile of shit that was AC3. The "outside of the Animus" segments are also super weird and intriguing.

SJRB

Gold Member

That particular mission is terrible and pretty much everything that's wrong with this series. Shit stealth, terrible AI, controlling issues when the going gets tough [as always], glitching NPCs fading in out of nowhere like Scotty just beamed them down.

I tried "sneaking" as the game intended me to, but I ended up saying fuck it and slaughtered half the castle.

It's absurd how a game with so much focus on stealth and sneaking has ZERO gameplay mechanics that revolve around actual sneaking. Yeah, conveniently placed patches of plants.

GeoGonzo

I think I'm going to justify buying this game simply by telling myself that I'll be helping the franchise by giving the worst rating to every damned tailing mission.

In comes AC4. Out of the rest of the launch titles this one seems like the one I'm most likely to enjoy. My question is, would I be doing myself harm by playing AC4 before playing AC3?

Many people, including myself, consider ACIII the least fun of the franchise. I don't think you'll do yourself any harm playing AC4 before AC3. The only reason to play AC3 is to see how the Desmond storyline ends. From what I've heard, AC4 doesn't dwell too much on the Tempar/Assassins overall lore, so I don't you should be spoiled or anything. I'm only on sequence two, but I haven't seen anything that would spoil AC3 for you. AC4 pretty much takes all the good things from AC3 and refines them, i.e. the naval combat and tree running.

Anyone having issues with DLC? I redeemed my Gamestop code, and the outfits/swords aren't appearing in the captain's quarters.

EDIT: On PS4.

kaskade

I'm definitely not far into the game, just got my ship, but I'm really liking it. I never ended up finishing 3. Kind of just lost interest in it. I love the setting though, the lush islands are beautiful and the cities feel like proper assassins creed.

jaaz

Any word on the 1080p PS4 patch for this game? It's still sitting on my couch in its wrapping. I really want to open it and play it in all of it's glory...

A good tip to remember is enemies cannot hear your footsteps. So you can sprint right behind them and they won't notice you unless you go in front of them and enter their line of sight.

tbhysgb

I redeemed black flag from my GPU, was wondering when it's going to show up in my games on the uplay app. Takes like 2 days to download using their shitty app.

Really liking this on PS4. It's super smooth and looks great.

HOWEVER, the Uplay servers are ALWAYS down, seriously I've never seen them up, and it fucking pops up a little window every 10 minutes telling me it can't connect. So annoying.

Also, I've had the game crash on my 3 times in the last 2 hours of play. Just errors out and lets you send a report to Sony. Anyone else seeing this often?
Disable uplay for a better experience

Chorazin

I pretty much ignored this after being so incredibly dissatisfied with AC3. Then I skimmed a few reviews saying it's better, and figured maybe I'd get it when it dropped in price. Then comes Amazon's B2G1 deal and I figured this would be my free one.

Started playing it yesterday and all day today. HOLY FUCK IT'S GREAT. It's AC2 levels of good! I really like Edward as a character, and they even do enough with the tired Templar vs. Assassin stuff that it feels fresh.

Really glad AC is back on track!

Side note: how is Liberation HD?

Top Bottom