• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Minion101

Banned
Encountered a random, but epic bug while playing pc version. Youtube link.
ihQ5Vyxx7WEtM.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBH4g_ua5es

Bebpo

Banned
About to finish up Sequence 2, pretty much cleared Havana 100%. So much fun. But it felt like I totally blew through that city in a couple of hours. Are there really only 3 cities? And how much game is there outside of the 100% the cities?

Also kind of disappointed to hear most people think the story is not very good. Sequence 2 was pretty interesting and the setup for this game makes me think it could be really fascinating for the AC lore, but maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up...

You need to get to Sequence 4 I believe before fast travel opens up.

Nah, I'm in sequence 2 and doing it. But you can't do it when people are chasing you or you have an alert thing going. Have to be anonymous.

iNvid02

I've read about some Nvidia users getting bad lag/performance ?

would hope not, they've partnered with ubi to advertise and shove all sorts of tech into this.

"40FPS - the way its meant to be played" sounds wrong

Performance is just like AC3. Bad.

;_;

i guess some beta drivers could bring improvements. i think they already have patch 1.01 scheduled as a day one update too

Lulubop

GMG code still good? Never really got into this series, but I love the setting. An extra %25 off would easily put me over the edge.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
would hope not, they've partnered with ubi to advertise and shove all sorts of tech into this.

"40FPS - the way its meant to be played" sounds wrong

;_;

i guess some beta drivers could bring improvements. i think they already have patch 1.01 scheduled as a day one update too

Well that's based on comments I've read from pirates basically so I'm not exactly worried just yet, you never know what Ubisoft have planned in their first official updates. I hate the way you have to wait for the game to appear on your UPlay games list after buying from the Ubisoft shop. They never seem to appear until release day :(

FiraB

Banned
Played the pc version all day today, love it so much more then the 360 version without a doubt.

The little graphical additions add to the game, literally just turn off the HUD and wonder around the world. I can't play it at max settings though which is surprising without it dipping into the 20fps range but the kicker is because of /drumroll, the shadow setting, turn it to normal and everything is smooth again at 60+ Fps goodness.

I thought the biggest hit would be ambient occlusion or AA, maybe even volumetric fog but it's shadows unless it's just really not working right. Also that fancy rain tech is kinda laughable when the rain when it touches the ground is just a texture itself, wasted opportunity for volumetric rainfall on terrain ubisoft!

But enjoying it again, almost back up to where I was on the 360 version and my ship is miles ahead. I notice some of the things I could do in missions on the 360, it didn't allow me to do it on pc. One of the early missions on 360 let me roam a certain entire island without needing to be near the npc but the pc version didn't so I had to gather everything afterwards because it wanted to desynchronise my character.

Other then that, games eye candy on my 60inch, ubisoft really puts some love into pc ports lately.

I got the PS3 version preowned from CEX the other day, the online pass has been used, but I was intending to upgrade to the PS4 version when I eventually get the new console. If I do the upgrade, will the PS4 download come with an online pass.

iNvid02

I got the PS3 version preowned from CEX the other day, the online pass has been used, but I was intending to upgrade to the PS4 version when I eventually get the new console. If I do the upgrade, will the PS4 download come with an online pass.

uplay passport has been scrapped, free from the store iirc

sirap

really torn between getting a PC version or PS4. My pc rig is beefy but man, I really need something to play on my PS4 :p

How good is the PS4 version? Is the framerate steady?

~Kinggi~

Banned
really torn between getting a PC version or PS4. My pc rig is beefy but man, I really need something to play on my PS4 :p

How good is the PS4 version? Is the framerate steady?
CUrrently the PS4 framerate is very smooth. Who knows with the 1080p patch.

Tankshell

Anyone know of any store, online or otherwise in the UK that is already distributing keys for the PC version via Uplay? Didn't know Uplay wasn't time restricted like Steam... would quite like to play this early :)

DeadlyDanger

Neo Member
After losing interest in the series after Revelations (which I couldn't even be arsed completing) and passing on AC3, is it necessary plot-wise to finish those two if I want to play Black Flag? I mean, I never really enjoyed the sci-fi part of the story and what interests me most about Black Flag is...pirates.

Any one able to get second screen to work?

Really wanted to use the vita for it. IT connects no problems and I can remote play but it just says "this screen is not in use" when I second screen
I can get the remote play to work fine, but the second screen doesn't (just get "cannot find ps4"). I have both options checked for vita connectivity to ps4.
I would like to try second screen out. Remote play looks good on it.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm not sure if AC3 was like this or not, I'm not a regular AC player, but I really hate that I'm not allowed to target people freely to attack if I desire. I'm barred from attacking anyone the game doesn't decide is an enemy. This bothers me.

Games that pose as open need to let me do anything I want. I can live with the story NPC who won't die (like in Fallout 3). But the inability to attack anyone? This is bad. The idea that it's an "open" game just feels shattered if the game arbitrarily decides when I can or can't perform basic actions.

Even weirder that they allow you to draw your swords when you want, even though you can't actually swing them. "Sure, draw them, you just aren't allowed to USE them unless we decide there's an enemy. We decide. Not you."

Frillen

How come I can't fast travel? I have discovered all the sync points in Havana already...

You cannot fast travel if you're:

1) In an active main mission or side mission
2) In the midst of a ship battle or if you're being followed by a ship and the ship is on high alert

Momentary

Banned
Those PC screen shots made me spend 64 on the Gold Edition. :(

But if you're getting "poor performance" at 4K should you just bump it down to 1440 or 1600?

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm not sure if AC3 was like this or not, I'm not a regular AC player, but I really hate that I'm not allowed to target people freely to attack if I desire. I'm barred from attacking anyone the game doesn't decide is an enemy. This bothers me.

Games that pose as open need to let me do anything I want. I can live with the story NPC who won't die (like in Fallout 3). But the inability to attack anyone? This is bad. The idea that it's an "open" game just feels shattered if the game arbitrarily decides when I can or can't perform basic actions.

Killing civilian NPCs has always been a no-go since the very first. You could kill civilians in the first few games, but you would desych [the game would basically kill you and reset to a previous checkpoint] if you killed three or more in a row.

Jobbs

Banned
Killing civilian NPCs has always been a no-go since the very first. You could kill civilians in the first few games, but you would desych [the game would basically kill you and reset to a previous checkpoint] if you killed three or more in a row.

I don't necessarily want to kill civilians. That's not really the point. The point is my hands are tied. I don't have the power over life and death, the game does. It's all a facade. Imagine if GTA5 so "eh, nope" any time you might attack a non-combatant or run into them with your car. they just can't be hurt. Do you WANT to kill civilians? Not necessarily, but it'd still bother you. Because it removes the idea that you have the choice to do what you want.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
IF you got this at a local store don't you still have to activate it online... which you can't yet.

Actually the batch of keys we got at work (I work for a digital reseller) was surprisingly working as soon a Thursday (maybe before that, we got the keys that day). Downloaded the game off uplay and it started immediately.

Momentary

Banned
The game has not been released on PC yet in any territory.

A google search tells me that it is however available to pirates (pun intended).

Therefore it is a likely suspicion that anyone playing it now is either a pirate or a game reviewer.

Yeah I just looked it up... Holy crap at the thieves. Seriously... people who complain about DRM this day in age are the ones who are pirating. Only crap that I can't stand is GFWL and that's going the way of the DODO. Everything else is tolerable. It really irritates me that I pay money for this and then I got some other lazy punk who downloads this and then complains about DRM and online connectivity for games.

I'm not a fan of DRM, but I wish they would implement ways to put a stop to this.

With that said, I don't feel these scumbags would even buy the game if the only option was to pay for it. Maybe 3%-5% of those stealing would buy ACIV if that was their only option.

Riddler

Last night playing on my Vita via remote play & iPad running companion App tapping out Waypoints all in bed is a dangerous thing. I am beyond impressed on smooth it all was plundering ships, assassin contracts & chasing down sea songs kept me up for hours in bed.

/thefutureisnow

iNvid02

it is being pirated but uplay also doesnt have release date unlocks like steam and origin, so once you have the key you can download it and play.

Phazon

it is being pirated but uplay also doesnt have release date unlocks like steam and origin, so once you have the key you can download it and play.

I bought it on Uplay and haven't seen it in my games list, I guess you mean buying a key from another retailer? :)

About to finish up Sequence 2, pretty much cleared Havana 100%. So much fun. But it felt like I totally blew through that city in a couple of hours. Are there really only 3 cities? And how much game is there outside of the 100% the cities?

TONS of stuff outside the cities. The world is enormous.

Raven77

What is the deal with the PS4 version of this game? The game looks so washed out when i'm not moving the camera. If I slowly move the camera the colors become more vibrant.

When I stop moving the camera, its like the color drains out a bit.

Anyone else notice this?

Also, is there any way to turn off the mini-map indicators showing you EXACTLY where treasures / etc. are? What is the point of exploring if you are literally told where to go.

kn1ves24

So I bought a PS4 and I'm loving the thing. Problem is I only have one major launch game (KZ) and the PSN+ games to play on it. KZ is great but since I'm not much of a competitive MP kind of person I can see me having my fill of it by early/mid December. So I need something to fill that new console itch till Feb/March.

In comes AC4. Out of the rest of the launch titles this one seems like the one I'm most likely to enjoy. My question is, would I be doing myself harm by playing AC4 before playing AC3?

I have played AC1 and AC2 to completion and I have played part way through Brotherhood.

On a technical side is AC4 worth buying on PS4? I'm not expecting a technical masterpiece since it is multiplatform but is it the "definitive" version of the game(at least till the PC version)?

Top Bottom