• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
When do I get my first deep sea dive mission?

Just bought the season pass for no reason. Do I only really get sails and a mast head at this point?

Currently I am at sea so I didn't bother checking my weapons.

Ugh, why

Branson

Just got this for PS4 (boss got me a gift card since I'm such a good worker lawl) and loving it. I've played ac2-rev on PC and coming to this is still really good. It looks great and seems to be a good game. It gives me OCD though with all of the damn things to get

Let's argue using evidence from the game itself rather than arguing about historical accuracy. The game clearly depicts piracy in a violent manner. The first pirating mission involves a character telling you that you should kill a fraction of the victim ship's crew in order to scare the rest of them.

He's spent two years as a pirate, and several years in the navy by the time the game takes place. It's not ridiculous to assume that he knows how to fight pretty damn well.

true. he should know how to fight. but his 'power level' shouldn't be higher than assassins/templars no? Or i've been mistaking the mythos a bit too much. like if a storm trooper could take out jedi and sith or something.

true. he should know how to fight. but his 'power level' shouldn't be higher than assassins/templars no? Or i've been mistaking the mythos a bit too much. like if a storm trooper could take out jedi and sith or something.

With AC4 you actually get to a see a thriving, already established Assassins Culture for the first time in the series since AC1. The Assassins you meet seem to have a variety of "power levels" making the point that, for some, its more about ideology than training. They are highly trained, sure, but they don't seem to have anyone with the skill of Altair or Ezio.

As far as Templars go, they have never really been established as being badass fighters anyway- they are usually power figures so it's really no surprise Kenway can take them out easily.

EDIT- To put another way, Shawn and Rebecca are Assassins but obviously could be taken in a fight reasonably easily.

Standing on top of structures, hood up, stalking enemies during a thunderstorm is the first time I've seen this franchise look like a proper assassin game (keeping in mind that I skipped ACR and AC3).

Speaking of which, that 2 game break I took did well for me. The series is still as repetitive as ever, but I expected no less, and am just enjoying it for the pirate theme. I have also taken a liking to random sprinting assassination moves for the hell of it, on guards and animals alike. I really do hope the first proper next-gen Assassin's Creed brings some much needed evolution of the core systems, but for now I'm enjoying the popcorn.

With AC4 you actually get to a see a thriving, already established Assassins Culture for the first time in the series since AC1. The Assassins you meet seem to have a variety of "power levels" making the point that, for some, its more about ideology than training. They are highly trained, sure, but they don't seem to have anyone with the skill of Altair or Ezio.

As far as Templars go, they have never really been established as being badass fighters anyway- they are usually power figures so it's really no surprise Kenway can take them out easily.

yeah, tbf i'm surprised there is a templar armor in this. I can't actually recall any combatant templar units outside of connor's dad and the terrible final boss battles in the other games.

He's an action game protagonist. Ezio was able to kill Templar guards about twenty minutes into AC2, and Connor was smashing faces when he was still 15.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Assassins and Templars are just organizational names.

veras

Anyone know if the PS4 physical/digital version of this use the same save files? Like if you played the physical version to X point then bought the digital version, could you use the same save on the digital version?

My guess would be yes this generation especially but confirmation would be nice.

So, I decided to get back on my boat

Never knew my boat could be a flying fortress as well

qyrYAj9.jpg

O.DOGG

Whoever came up with the idea of the shanties (not chasing them, chasing them's bullshit) the crew sing should be given a promotion. I'm catching myself walking around humming "Roll boys roll" or "Lowlands away" these past two days. Crazy.

So, I'm about 6 hours in and it still feels like a pure pirate game? Does it ever start feeling more like assassins creed? I love it still though....

McLovin

I'm pretty far into the game, completed most of the islands and took down most of the legendary ships. AC 4 is the best damn AC game ever. Those legendary ship are like giant boss fights! Its so good. Its like they mixed windwaker, sotc, and threw in some gta for the hell of it. And crappy last gen typhoons aside that weather looks bananas both on and off the ocean. Post patch AC4 on PS4 is soooo pretty *_*

SJRB

Gold Member
So, I'm about 6 hours in and it still feels like a pure pirate game? Does it ever start feeling more like assassins creed? I love it still though....

It will never feel like an Assassin's Creed game. It's Pirate's Creed - The Quest For Gold.

Megasoum

Banned
It will never feel like an Assassin's Creed game. It's Pirate's Creed - The Quest For Gold.
I dunno man. I spent most of last night doing main quests and templar runs in Kingston. A whole night of tailing people and listening to conversations...ugh. Can't wait to get out of there and back on my boat.

LeBart

I dunno man. I spent most of last night doing main quests and templar runs in Kingston. A whole night of tailing people and listening to conversations...ugh. Can't wait to get out of there and back on my boat.

That's how they get you. You think you're safe at sea and then boom, boat tailing mission!

They do love their tailing missions...

Chris_C

So where are the Aveline missions? Playing the game on the PS4, but not quite sure how to get the missions (already entered the code in the booklet)

kazebyaka

Banned
So where are the Aveline missions? Playing the game on the PS4, but not quite sure how to get the missions (already entered the code in the booklet)
Aveline DLC is available through the main menu, upper right corner, it's very hard to miss. It's pointless dlc though, 30 minutes of gameplay and that's all.

10 hours in and the game is awesome. I just couldn't ask for much more from an AC game. Someone really ambitious involved with this one had a good understanding of what makes the series work and what elements it needs. They should tie this person up and keep him chained to the franchise.

Another thing I really appreciate is just plain value for money. The game is more or less open now, even though some things in the progress screen are still locked, and there's just so much to do I almost don't know where to start now that I'm left to my own devices.

I highly recommend following the story till the start of sequence 4 before you start exploring on your own, by the way. It's clear the game is happy to let you loose at that point.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

It's the code on the case. I had to enter it twice, though. Makes no sense but it happened.

Someone asked what our favorite Shanty was, for me it might be a tie between

http://youtu.be/8cVWrt2dCE8

Or

http://youtu.be/rLFDMmdKnCk

I love these two personally, Fish in the sea may take it though. I have no idea how another AC game will be able to top this one, how do you beat Pirate ships and a massive open ocean?

Some big boring City just would not cut it anymore for me.

The only option now is World War II, with tank and air battles.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Anyone with the PS4 version having trouble getting logged into the Ubisoft servers?

Speaking of which, I hate all this UPlay bullshit Ubisoft bombards me with before the main menu. I don't want to sign up for your shitty UPlay system Ubi! Ugh

(NBA 2K14 is even worse because it forces you to sign up before you can play)

I swear, I will avoid any game in the future that does this.

Caved and bought the skull edition for the PS4 - I never played AC3, but I do have it in my PS+ collection...is it worth going back and playing the game for a few days, or can I just forget it and jump in with AC4?

He's an action game protagonist. Ezio was able to kill Templar guards about twenty minutes into AC2, and Connor was smashing faces when he was still 15.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Assassins and Templars are just organizational names.

were they? AC series has been pretty bad blending story and gameplay but from what I can tell every entry of the series seem to imply assassin's have to go through a training cycle to get their hood. There are other folks in Assassins org, but I'm talking about the hooded stabby folks. Ezio learned stealth stabby stuff from that prostitute madam, how to counter fight from uncle mario. Connor learned from that black guy. I'd imagine if you are on the field, you probably should be at the very least able to chain kill scrubs ;)

just feel like there is a missed opportunity here. AC3 establishes that templars can be badass stabbing monkeys too. I just want higher level enemy types. I don't know if they introduce new units later, but the hardest folks atm are the axe dudes and the captains... but even then you can just break defense and 1 hit kill them from behind.

This game is definitely better than AC3, but there's still a shtiload of problems.

The main story pacing is just all over the place and is kind of boring, to boot. There have been times where I have been surprised by the fact that a mission I was on was apparently really story important because there was very little to build it up going in. The plot itself takes forever to start moving, too.

ReaperXL7

The only option now is World War II, with tank and air battles.

WWII could be interesting, but the issue there is that they would need to change the gameplay in a huge way to make it work. To my knowledge there was not allot of sword fighting during World War 2, Tanks,Planes, and Navel vessels were all part of the war (depending on where the game takes place).

I dont think Ubi will do it because they would need to change the core gameplay too much for it to work properly. If anything I could see them doing egypt, china, or japan before they take on a game that for the most part would come pretty close to most other open world games (gun focus, somewhat modern vehicals, etc).

Paches

This is my first AC game and I am addicted to clearing the maps and getting all the little floating papers and chests. Is this normal? Help me.

Derrick01

Banned
Only ubisoft could make sailing feel like such a chore and something I've done forever in games when in reality I've probably played 2 pirate/ship themed games in my life (sid meier's pirates and wind waker). I encountered another new yet repetitive element last night when I took out a fort by fighting it like it was a normal ship, except it was easier since a fort can't move. Then all you do is charge into it and kill a bunch of people with the 1 button combat to finish it off.

This is probably my main problem with the series. There's a ton of "different" things to do but they all hinge on the core mechanics of the game. If the sword fighting was more tactical and actually dangerous, and if the stealth was more like an actual stealth game, then all of these activities wouldn't feel like such a chore to do. When fighting people is actually fun and challenging I don't mind doing it a thousand times.

Paches said:
This is my first AC game and I am addicted to clearing the maps and getting all the little floating papers and chests. Is this normal? Help me.

You're falling for Ubisoft's psychology trick. That's why all these games design around filling bars, it tricks a lot of people into thinking it's a good thing to clear them all. The more bars a game has to fill= the better the game is.

You're falling for Ubisoft's psychology trick. That's why all these games design around filling bars, it tricks a lot of people into thinking it's a good thing to clear them all. The more bars a game has to fill= the better the game is.

They work for the most part, until you actually start digging in the menus to see what doing this stuff gets you... then you realize half the crap just nets you multiplayer skins... nope.

are treasures worth doing? Found one and it gave me an upgrade plan for a visual change for the boat... really?

A friend who played on PS3 at release mentioned a bug centering around starting Fleet stuff while actively on a mission. Is this still a problem? I was thinking of trying out the iPad app but I don't want to mess up anything.

kriskrosbbk

Guys I am not really following this thread ,but wanted to ask about any FPS drops on the PS4 version ? I am watching some Gamersyde footage and seems to stutter here and there . Is this the case ? Looks gorgeous nevertheless.

They work for the most part, until you actually start digging in the menus to see what doing this stuff gets you... then you realize half the crap just nets you multiplayer skins... nope.

are treasures worth doing? Found one and it gave me an upgrade plan for a visual change for the boat... really?

Buried treasures are worth doing because its fun to hunt for buried treasure.I mean come on. And I'm looking forward to customizing my ship once I get it fully upgraded. I'm going to be spending a lot of time on the old girl.

Top Bottom