• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

One thing I think would be really funny - is there a shanty that's not strictly historically accurate? It would be really cool if you could find, I dunno, a licensed modern pop song cover or something.

SJRB

Gold Member
yeah it seems like the whole I can fucking see ancient space symbols is recessive trait or something that is passed down randomly?

It's supposed to be a trait that was passed on from the first civilization, hence also explaining the extraordinary climbing and fighting skills. Only a handful of people would have the ability.

But, as with almost everything regarding the lore in this series, the devs just said "fuck it, we all assassins now". Either that or they themselves lost sight of the game's story. Which, given what a clusterfuck it has become, is also likely.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
haha, I just love being a pirate

I spent most of the time in the seas rather doing the plot quests :D

Same. I just played for a couple of hours just destroying and pillaging. So fun. When do I get the ability to deep dive?

Roto13

yeah it seems like the whole I can fucking see ancient space symbols is recessive trait or something that is passed down randomly?

I don't think they have a proper explanation for it, since Ezio and Altair can both use Eagle Vision and they're not related. The game says something about using all of your senses at once and implies that James Kidd can do it. :p

That one is nice. Randy Dandy is cool too, as is Fish in the Sea. In fact, most of the shanties are pretty sweet, never thought I'd like them as much. Lowlands Away is my favourite, amazing when you're at full sea at night haha.

FUCK the Johnny Boker shantie though.
Don't read the comments! There be spoilers.

I don't think they have a proper explanation for it, since Ezio and Altair can both use Eagle Vision and they're not related. The game says something about using all of your senses at once and implies that James Kidd can do it. :p

It's a genetic trait left in the line of Assassin's by the precursors. I think.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So I'm starting to get into the meat of the game and I have to say.... This game is really fun. The graphics during the sailing part are really good, but the non sailing parts look last gen. That said, loving 1080p :D

Roto13

Yeah, I know. Why are you telling me that though?

Edward and Connor don't have to be related to Ezio or Altair because all it takes is for Connor's male descendant to breed with Ezio/Altair's female descendent for both of them to still be related to Desmond without being related to each other. And there are about a billion other points in that family tree where their bloodlines could mix without them ever being related to each other.

Sorry, I had no idea. I didn't read the comments.

I removed the url from my post. I hope nothing got spoiled for you, sir.
Didn't have to remove it. It's a nice channel, a spoiler warning would have been enough. Nothing was spoiled for me though.

diggler41

Having a lot of fun with this game and holy hell I just shot a Jaguar with a sleep dart and skinned it alive. Man, pirates are brutal.

"Every finger's a fish hook. That's how you tell a true sailor."

That line is like twenty minutes into the game, and it's a perfectly reasonable explanation. Dude has spent plenty of time running around and climbing rigging.
its not the climbing, everyone can climb in AC universe lol, its how disturbingly efficent he is at combat, but i guess he did fight in the war against spain right?

'gritty veteran'?

Roto13

its not the climbing, everyone can climb in AC universe lol, its how disturbingly efficent he is at combat, but i guess he did fight in the war against spain right?

'gritty veteran'?

Dude had been pirating and privateering for quite a while at that point. You don't kill that many sailors without getting good at it. :p

One thing I think would be really funny - is there a shanty that's not strictly historically accurate? It would be really cool if you could find, I dunno, a licensed modern pop song cover or something.
One of the shanties mentions a bride in white. Brides didn't start wearing white until the 19th century. So there is one that isn't historically accurate. Nothing as funny as a pop song though.

What does it mean when the wifi symbol pops up in the lower left hand corner when you're in the animus? I assume it corresponds to something outside the animus, but what?

It's supposed to be a trait that was passed on from the first civilization, hence also explaining the extraordinary climbing and fighting skills. Only a handful of people would have the ability.

But, as with almost everything regarding the lore in this series, the devs just said "fuck it, we all assassins now". Either that or they themselves lost sight of the game's story. Which, given what a clusterfuck it has become, is also likely.

Actually the reason that Desmond was so special was because he had the highest concentration of First Civilization DNA of anyone alive. The combination of the lines of Ezio, Altair, Kenway, and Aquilus gave Desmond unprecedented control over First Civilization technology. While other people with smaller portions of FC DNA could access the Eagle Sense, only those with high concentrations could properly control and understand their technology.

Altair and Ezio also had a high concentration, but not high enough to be completely immune to the effects of Pieces of Eden, as evidenced by how Altair was influenced by the illusions produced by his Mentor and how Ezio was injured due to prolonged use of the Apple. I haven't finished Black Flag so I don't know if Edward had a particularly high concentration, it seems he may have.

Most people do possess fragments of First Civilization DNA, it is what causes deja vu. Most Assassins posses higher concentrations than normal people, but not as high as people like Desmond and Ezio. Their high concentration allows them to use Eagle Sense without any training, while others with lesser concentration need extensive training to use it. The reason most Assassins have higher concentrations of FC DNA and why most have been Assassins throughout their family history is because (3rd party material, yet canon spoilers)
Adam and Eve were the progenitors of the Assassins and Templars. They were also each half-First Civilization. Their son Cain became the inspiration for the Templars in the post-Toba Catastrophe world. Cain did not believe that humans should work with the remaining FC to rebuild and killed Abel to steal his Apple (and was branded with the Mark of Cain, the Templar Cross). Abel was the martyr that spurred the formation of the Assassins.

I don't know if that made any sense, but I tried.

spekkeh

Banned
Something makes me wonder. Everyone on Kenway's ship speaks English, right? It would be interesting to know how it was on the actual pirate ships back then. Did each ship have its official language everybody aboard had to use?
I was wondering the same thing. A Google search doesn't give much info. I could only imagine most people in those days were more or less multilingual, but had to greatly conform to what the captain was speaking. It could explain the prevalence of Creole languages in that area though.

DMiz

Out of curiosity, has there ever been a Templar who has been shown to have Eagle Vision, sans
Haytham, who was technically an assassin to begin with?

Jedi2016

Haytham, who was technically an assassin to begin with?
He wasn't, though, he went straight into the Templars after his father's death, he was never officially an Assassin.

Eagle Vision is not an "Assassins" trick, it's a "Descendants of First Civilization" trick. The Kenway line is descended from Altaïr.. any of his descendents, Assassin or Templar, would have it.

He wasn't, though, he went straight into the Templars after his father's death, he was never officially an Assassin.

Eagle Vision is not an "Assassins" trick, it's a "Descendants of First Civilization" trick. The Kenway line is descended from Altaïr.. any of his descendents, Assassin or Templar, would have it.

From what I just saw,
the Kenway line is descended from the Auditore line. Or at the very least, they're both Desmond's paternal ancestors. Altaïr was an ancestor on Desmond's mother's side.

Tenrius

this game does a REALLY poor job at showing you that a DECADE has passed

Yes, it doesn't feel that way at all.

At a certain point a certain character says "we did a certain something two years ago". It was nearly impossible to understand that that character was referring to an event from the actual beginning of the game and not something that happened in the past.

Naite

Finally finished the game. I only need to get 2 treasure maps from Kenway's Fleet and 2 bugged collectables fixed to get 100% (I should already have 9/9 viewpoints in Kingston and it says I only hacked 32/33 computers in abstergo entertainment when I see 34 items in the menu). Overall I'd say this is probably my 3rd favorite AC game.

Three things I really didn't like about this game though were:
- the underwater diving sections were terrible
- so many eavesdropping and tailing missions
- the frogger-style hacking puzzle is infuriating near the end

Jedi2016

From what I just saw,
the Kenway line is descended from the Auditore line. Or at the very least, they're both Desmond's paternal ancestors. Altaïr was an ancestor on Desmond's mother's side.
Maybe I'm confused, then... I could have sworn there was another playable character on Altaïr's side.

Jeels

Just got to memory sequence 3. Was wondering if the story will bring me back to Havanna at any time? I know I can always travel there, but will there be story events there anymore?

Prometheus Zero

Neo Member
Is anyone else bothered by the clipping around the sides of the screen (mostly noticeable during cutscenes) on the ps4? I pretty sure if you have any overscan whatsoever you can't see it. I hope they patch this out.

Pirates actually weren't about murdering really lol they rather you give up gold peacefully xD

It's just odd how easy he can take down assassins and Templars. Maybe those folks should be a bit harder to fight.

Let's argue using evidence from the game itself rather than arguing about historical accuracy. The game clearly depicts piracy in a violent manner. The first pirating mission involves a character telling you that you should kill a fraction of the victim ship's crew in order to scare the rest of them.

He's spent two years as a pirate, and several years in the navy by the time the game takes place. It's not ridiculous to assume that he knows how to fight pretty damn well.

Dysun

I haven't exited the animus in a long time, will the game ever force me to? What am I missing if I put that off? Or can it all be accessed whenever I get around to the real-life stuff?

Roto13

I haven't exited the animus in a long time, will the game ever force me to? What am I missing if I put that off? Or can it all be accessed whenever I get around to the real-life stuff?

It'll force you to leave and do certain things now and then. Nothing is permanently missable.

Megasoum

Banned
L2. (Or was it R2?)

Hmmm doesn't seem to work. I know it's Triangle to reload once you've shot all your guns but it doesn't work if you only shot some of your guns.

And I just saw the gun execution for the first time...so kick ass....

Where you grab one of the dude, line him up with another dude behind him and headshot both with one bullet.

Just bought the season pass for no reason. Do I only really get sails and a mast head at this point?

Currently I am at sea so I didn't bother checking my weapons.

Pirate theme is great for this franchise. Also allows for good pacing between that and the same old assassins creed style gameplay. Building up your ship is a much better goal than doing anything with the stupid homestead last game

I do find everything dreadfully slow though. Definitely not an instant gratification game. Slow sailing, slow exiting and boarding ships when exploring the uncharted. Slow naval battles. Uninteresting slow travel when on an island to get to the mission giver. Hunting is slow and almost the same for all animals, yet required to craft. Slow missions like listening to conversations, and a slow failure loop when needing to restart. I feel like I play for hours but get hardly anywhere in the game

Agree totally. Feels like the ebon hawk but better, as you fight with it. Also very slow. Feels like everything could have been amped up in terms of speed just slightly.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
One of the shanties mentions a bride in white. Brides didn't start wearing white until the 19th century. So there is one that isn't historically accurate. Nothing as funny as a pop song though.

Lowlands Away.
It's at least 140 years too new to be accurate. But it's my favorite.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Come on guys, remember in AC2 when it turned out that
"We didn't tell you until now Ezio, but we are actually ALL assassins! Surprise!"

Personally I keep saying it, AC has very strong themes, but the execution of the story is handled no differently than your average game. You can amazing things with initiations, being part of a secret society, fighting against another secret society, mythology/mysticism VS the age of information, etc., but in a way that would be not only more subtle but credible. If the assassins and the templars (names that really only made sense in AC1 due to the game being set in the holy land) were cells who were only in contact with one another through symbolism, secret handshakes, etc., and if the first civ was as mysterious as the origin of any myth or religion, the series would actually be much less constrained by itself and would fit better in each era. Those themes I mentioned can be transposed in any era or location, but not as they have become where everything is too defined and simply becomes jarring when it attempts to remain connected from one game to another, throughout all eras and locations.

Kinda hope for a reboot. Like, just say all AC games were just Abstergo products all along, and start over.

edit: Historical inaccuracies are all over AC. Florence in AC2 had some churches with 19th century facades, Hagia Sophia in ACR had all four minarets + a 19th century gothic mosque, etc.

Teddified

Hmmm doesn't seem to work. I know it's Triangle to reload once you've shot all your guns but it doesn't work if you only shot some of your guns.

And I just saw the gun execution for the first time...so kick ass....

Where you grab one of the dude, line him up with another dude behind him and headshot both with one bullet.

L1 Reloads on PS4.

Top Bottom