• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

dex3108

I definitely hate 90% of Manhunt players. Instead of making high score kills 90% of players are just running around map and getting stunned or killing targets for 100 points.

so does the game ever explain where edward got his 'set of skills'? seems a bit bullshitty that a random 3rd party completely outpowers "the jedi and the sith"

Torraz

Is the usual "assasin guild management" thingy in the game? I love(d) being able to summon a squad of death out of nowhere.

Roto13

so does the game ever explain where edward got his 'set of skills'? seems a bit bullshitty that a random 3rd party completely outpowers "the jedi and the sith"

Why wouldn't a pirate have these skills? There has never been any indication that fighting and freerunning and stuff are strictly an Assassin thing. Random thieves and mercenaries can do it. Why not pirates?

exYle

Do I get to choose my shanties, or does my crew just sing them randomly?

Loving the game, by the way. I'd say it more than makes up for Ass Creed 3.

Gaz_RB

Guys how do I get the explorer outfit? What's a social challenge?
Why wouldn't a pirate have these skills? There has never been any indication that fighting and freerunning and stuff are strictly an Assassin thing. Random thieves and mercenaries can do it. Why not pirates?

This is true. And also he is an ancestor of Desmond which is why he has the sight

SJRB

Gold Member
Is the usual "assasin guild management" thingy in the game? I love(d) being able to summon a squad of death out of nowhere.

No assassin homies this time around, sorry.

Do I get to choose my shanties, or does my crew just sing them randomly?

Loving the game, by the way. I'd say it more than makes up for Ass Creed 3.

You can skip shanties by pressing right on the d-pad, but you can't select specific songs. You just have to skip through the collection until you hear the one you want.

Torraz

No assassin homies this time around, sorry.

You can skip shanties by pressing right on the d-pad, but you can't select specific songs. You just have to skip through the collection until you hear the one you want.

Damn, guess there's the naval combat to compensate.

Thanks

Future

Pirate theme is great for this franchise. Also allows for good pacing between that and the same old assassins creed style gameplay. Building up your ship is a much better goal than doing anything with the stupid homestead last game

I do find everything dreadfully slow though. Definitely not an instant gratification game. Slow sailing, slow exiting and boarding ships when exploring the uncharted. Slow naval battles. Uninteresting slow travel when on an island to get to the mission giver. Hunting is slow and almost the same for all animals, yet required to craft. Slow missions like listening to conversations, and a slow failure loop when needing to restart. I feel like I play for hours but get hardly anywhere in the game

abrack08

Getting a little sidetracked from this game because Zelda, but I'm really surprised at how much content there is. Maybe it's because I never felt a drive to do EVERY SINGLE SIDE MISSION in older AC games, but I never played one more than like 20 hours. I'm at 20 hours in Black Flag and only 40% through the story missions. I just wanna sail around, destroy ships, explore islands, etc.

SJRB

Gold Member
Damn, guess there's the naval combat to compensate.

Thanks

Well there is a similar management system for your fleet, where you send them to do missions just like you would do the assassins in Brotherhood. But you can't summon a fleet or something in the game to assist you during battles, it's 100% a management thing.

Alcander

As if Assassin's Creed needs more buttons

Haha fair point, but still. Why not expand upon their current control paradigm where no buttons pressed is normal speed, hold trigger for fast speed. It could be like hold left trigger for stealth speed, I don't know.

I know its supposed to be about "social stealth", but that kind of goes out the window when you are hiding in bushes and trying to sneak into places. I dunno.

Gaz_RB

Pirate theme is great for this franchise. Also allows for good pacing between that and the same old assassins creed style gameplay. Building up your ship is a much better goal than doing anything with the stupid homestead last game

I do find everything dreadfully slow though. Definitely not an instant gratification game. Slow sailing, slow exiting and boarding ships when exploring the uncharted. Slow naval battles. Uninteresting slow travel when on an island to get to the mission giver. Hunting is slow and almost the same for all animals, yet required to craft. Slow missions like listening to conversations, and a slow failure loop when needing to restart. I feel like I play for hours but get hardly anywhere in the game

Don't forget you can buy hunting supplies at the store if you've got the money and don't feel like hunting.

Just started playing the PS4 version, patched it to the 1080 but just after swimming to shore looking around there's an insane amount of pixel shimmer as you look around in that bright area :(

spekkeh

Banned
I'm enjoying this game. It's my most played AC game.

BUT it's absurd how repetitive it is. You spend hours doing the same things over and over again.
I can't stand boarding ships anymore. I just sink them and collect half of the loot.
The same shitty objectives, the same animations everytime. They could have used a morale system instead of "kill X tripulants, kill these two random guys", etc. They could've used a fame system. The goddam jackdaw is coming after your little ship? Give up!

Hunting sea creatures is also absurdly repetitive and devoid of any strategy. The only difference between a bull shark and a humpback whale is the size of the target and the size of their health bar. You just shove harpoons up their asses.
And it's not fun. I just do it for crafting items.

Taverns, forts, assassination missions, EVERYTHING is like this. Repetition ad infinitum. Ubisoft creates loads of shallow mini games, copy paste it everywhere and call it an open world.

This is no better than AC3. It has the same shitty story, uninteresting characters, awful controls, repetition. It's the pirate theme alone that makes it bearable for me.
Aw crap. I had this same problem with AC2 and Far Cry 3. Especially the latter was insanely shallow. This will probably be the last open world Ubisoft game I'm going to play then. Really hate that one-game-mechanic-spread-across-fifteen-teams-to-pad-out-and-presto-another-game-finished development ethos.

Getting a little sidetracked from this game because Zelda, but I'm really surprised at how much content there is. Maybe it's because I never felt a drive to do EVERY SINGLE SIDE MISSION in older AC games, but I never played one more than like 20 hours. I'm at 20 hours in Black Flag and only 40% through the story missions. I just wanna sail around, destroy ships, explore islands, etc.

I think my game clock says I'm about 18 or 19 hours in and I haven't even finished sequence three yet. I'm a completionist though, so I've been collecting everything. The ship combat is great. The fact that it takes a while to gather enough resources to upgrade means it's worthwhile to keep doing it. This game is awesome. It's definitely a return to form for the franchise IMO.

Noi

So nothing on this?

So is there a way to fix the Uplay issue with the PS4 version? I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but I'm a little bummed that I'm not taking advantage of the fleet or chasing down white whales because I can't connect to Uplay on my account.

It's a bit upsetting that it's been more than a week with no reply from Ubisoft about this. I just want to hunt those white whales I've seen pop up while I'm sailing. :(

Tenrius

If you don't have subtitles turned on, you're missing out. There is a lot of capital letters to make it look like an 18th century text, which looks funny and brings an extra layer of atmosphere to the experience.

DMiz

If you don't have subtitles turned on, you're missing out. There is a lot of capital letters to make it look like an 18th century text, which looks funny and brings an extra layer of atmosphere to the experience.

... I owe an apology to someone for this.

Setsuna

I thought i remembered being able to goto towns and leave towns without having to go through a loading screen. Did they change something?

Pc version just to clarify

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Do we know if the Kenway line is related to the Ezio or Altair line at all? Or is it a separate branch?
Edward has more than a passing resemblance to Ezio, both in looks and in personality, so... maybe?

I'm still surprised Altair and Ezio aren't related.

I thought i remembered being able to goto towns and leave towns without having to go through a loading screen. Did they change something?

Pc version just to clarify

Some towns and islands you can enter from the sea without loading, but the larger towns like Kingston, Havana, and Nassau require loading. The loading is extremely quick on the PS4, so I imagine it would be even quicker on the PC.

Simo

Guys how do I get the explorer outfit? What's a social challenge?

They did a Community Challenge the second or third week of release that consisted of "X amount of Assassinations" from players playing to unlock the challenge. Pretty sure that's what unlocked the Explorer outfit.

There are also Social Treasure chests scattered around that when you unlock so many help unlock other items, weapons and outfits.

Gaz_RB

Do we know if the Kenway line is related to the Ezio or Altair line at all? Or is it a separate branch?

I'm not 100% sure, actually. I assume he is though because he is Haytham's father, and is the seemingly only link to Connor, his grandson. Connor's mom was some random Indian girl. I imagine for Desmond to still be linked to Altair or Ezio, that Edward must be related to them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
According to the first footnote on William's profile, the Kenways and Ezio are both from Desmond's paternal side.

Tenrius

Something makes me wonder. Everyone on Kenway's ship speaks English, right? It would be interesting to know how it was on the actual pirate ships back then. Did each ship have its official language everybody aboard had to use?

I'm enjoying this game. It's my most played AC game.

BUT it's absurd how repetitive it is. You spend hours doing the same things over and over again.

This is no better than AC3. It has the same shitty story, uninteresting characters, awful controls, repetition. It's the pirate theme alone that makes it bearable for me.

Welcome to the world of video games where repetition is king. Fortunately AC4 has lots of fun and interesting things you can do over and over again, and look f**king awesome while doing it! Of course you are entitled to your opinion, I just happen to disagree entirely. I've been waking up early every morning looking forward to my journey with Edward Kenway. I have the game just over 50% complete and I'm on chapter 10 but I'm only getting more addicted. There have been a few cool characters but the one character I love is actually my crew! I love listening to them sing and shout praises for their captain! Now, I really don't get how you can say the controls are awful, but I've never had an issue with the controls in AC games and this one is the best by far. Again, it's your experience but mine is completely opposite, although I'm glad you're at least enjoying it!

Pretty cool video where a History Professor talks about Pirates and the events that occurred around the time period of Black Flag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C9h3p5Efa4&feature=youtu.be

thought it was a neat watch.

That was an interesting program.

Hope they pick up enough views to keep doing these. This would be a valuable addition to the YouTube gaming community. Would love to see a multi-part breakdown of something like Civilization V.

Is that Sequence 6 mission where you have to find Blackbeard's ship supposed to take place in a dense fog? Goddamn, that was the worst mission I've played in years.

Roto13

I'm not 100% sure, actually. I assume he is though because he is Haytham's father, and is the seemingly only link to Connor, his grandson. Connor's mom was some random Indian girl. I imagine for Desmond to still be linked to Altair or Ezio, that Edward must be related to them.

Family trees are not straight lines. :p

Hahah wow, I was wondering this as well. Your explanation makes perfect sense!

Without subtitles it's really hard to follow what they're saying sometimes.

"Every finger's a fish hook. That's how you tell a true sailor."

That line is like twenty minutes into the game, and it's a perfectly reasonable explanation. Dude has spent plenty of time running around and climbing rigging.

Top Bottom