• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

How do I hunt whales and sharks? I have no idea.

Most of them appear on you map as an icon. You sail into the area and hold down circle to begin hunting like if you were going to board a ship or dock. The water where they are located is a lighter color.

For white whales, I don't know if they appear as a map marker. The two or three I found showed up as a blue marker in certain areas of the map and there's a time limit for how long they will be there. It's one of the social/online things that I'm not exactly sure how it works. Like I found a few and the game said I shared their location with my friends.

edit: If you capture a fort, it will mark all collectibles and shark/whale locations in that portion of the map.

Jedi2016

For white whales, I don't know if they appear as a map marker. The two or three I found showed up as a blue marker in certain areas of the map and there's a time limit for how long they will be there. It's one of the social/online things that I'm not exactly sure how it works. Like I found a few and the game said I shared their location with my friends.
White whales are always shared events because of their rarity. You get a limited time to hunt them and then they disappear and you'll have to randomly stumble across them again later.

Got a white whale on my first attempt. :) Having a shitload of Elite Harpoons helps, but I really need to upgrade my rowboat next time.. he had the thing almost down to splinters by the time I finally took him down.

Anyway, is the community stuff like royal convoys and white whale locations random? In the first few hours I found like three white whale locations, but I didn't have enough hull armor on my rowboat to fight them without getting killed. I haven't seen anymore in a long time. Then there's this blue convoy fleet marker on my map, but when I go there there's nothing and there's not a time limit like the other fleet/whale locations.

Same thing is happening to me too. Need to look it up to see what's going on exactly. Haven't come across any white whales yet tho, and i'm like 20+ hours in... =(

Munin

Shocked how sloppy the animation is in the game, for an AC title. I mean right in the beginning when you meet the merchant dude on the beach and he swims back to his ship (with a hilarious animation) and then awkwardly climbs on it...that's like, PS2 stuff right there.

Also except for the water and somer higher res textures, does not look that much better than AC2...playing on PC with everything maxed. Looks nice but not mindblowing like some people made me believe here. :(

Mohonky

So I couldn't give two shits to play this, not going to buy it on Wii U as I would get it on PC, but then I read PC runs like ass except on mega rigs and can't be bothered to go through a frame dip fiesta, but I love the overarching story (even the future / present day stuff) or at least did until the end of Ass 3.

So can some one who has finished the game give me the story details please? Particularly where Ubi is trying to take the present day stuff.....

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
After lord knows how many hours (is there a way to check on the PS4?), I think I'm finally cooling on AC4. I didn't 100% it, but came close.Played every evening and big chunks of the weekend ever since the PS4 launched. An immense, satisfying experience.

Gaz_RB

I really liked the story and the ending. I usually pay more attention than most so I found it easy to follow and fairly uncomplicated.

coldfoot

Banned
Please help me I am stuck at 4.2 mission because it autofails me if I get detected, the checkpoints are WAY TOO RARE, there is no quicksave option. This game has really great ship combat and OK action, but this forced stealth is KILLING ME.
Is there a cheat to be invisible or something so I don't have to play this bullshit part? I found out that I really have zero patience and tolerance for stealth. It's why I'll just watch youtube TLOU videos than to play them. Stealth = shit.

The ship stealth part is much MUCH easier as the other ships cones of visibility are clearly marked on the map. Did not like them either but got through OK.

My weird issue the game: something about the music constantly sounds to me like my cell phone is vibrating! I mostly notice it when boarding ships, but occasionally hear it at other points as well... there's some instrument in the mix that makes this low frequency buzz/hum that fools me every time. Anyone else having this (incredibly stupid and minor) issue?

DMiz

So for PS4/Dualshock 4 PC users, anyone else getting finger strain from having to hold the R2 trigger all the time? Is it just me?

How did you manage to get it working for the PC version? Are you using the xbox360ce trick? For some reason, it's not working for me.

void666

Banned
So, what will happen with the naval gameplay? I doubt ubisoft will ditch it.
I wonder if every assassin's creed from now on will have some sort of naval aspect or if they are going to create a new IP for it.

I'd love to see a more focused pirate game.

SJRB

Gold Member
I wonder if every assassin's creed from now on will have some sort of naval aspect or if they are going to create a new IP for it.

They should just do a spinoff series called Black Flag, and refocus Assassin's Creed and bring it back to its roots: urban exploration. I want massive cities again where I can run, climb and explore for hours, with good flows, without snipers on every rooftop.

Just cut all the fat, bring the game back to its core mechanics.

They should just do a spinoff series called Black Flag, and refocus Assassin's Creed and bring it back to its roots: urban exploration. I want massive cities again where I can run, climb and explore for hours, with good flows, without snipers on every rooftop.

3 Did not have any of that so they would have to go all the way back to brohood to find some decent free running.

So I couldn't give two shits to play this, not going to buy it on Wii U as I would get it on PC, but then I read PC runs like ass except on mega rigs and can't be bothered to go through a frame dip fiesta, but I love the overarching story (even the future / present day stuff) or at least did until the end of Ass 3.

So can some one who has finished the game give me the story details please? Particularly where Ubi is trying to take the present day stuff.....

check the ac wiki?

And the game runs fine if you turn down like 2 settings and don't use msaa.

potam

Banned
Anyone mind telling me how far through the story I am? I'm trying to knock out the story at least before I move on to other games.

I just finished the mission where the sage is like "lol that slavetrader was my friend"

LuchaShaq

Banned
As someone who hated three with a passion I'm really torn on this game. I think it plays really really great, but I give zero fucks about kenway and can't even remember his first name.

This is in stark contrast to how much me/my gf lived ezio. We even watched the 30 min animated movie that shows his life post revelations! ( it's shockingly cute and sad). I would never do the same for this kenway, and no way in hell for Connor.

I'm having a blast doing side stuff and rating missions.

Idk of I get it later but I really really miss being able to ridiculously call assassins out of nowhere. Just whistle and death flies everywhere.

Just finished it today, and I'm really disappointed with the last half of the story.
The game does such a good job of suckering you into the idea that maybe it'll be different this time. This new protagonist isn't a sack of wet onions, and he doesn't have any stake in the Assassin/Templar bullshit, and he's got this sweet pirate ship and every time an Assassin walks in he blows them off hilariously! But, before you even know it, they're foisting this ham-fisted turn on you, where Edward succumbs to the evils of being fun and interesting and lovable and eventually realises that his true calling is to be serious all the time and Save The World™. Why, life isn't even worth living if you don't have a CREED, BRO!

Ugh. And, in classic Assassin's Creed fashion, the story completely falls apart at the end when they start making huge skips through time. I'm still not sure if Edward actually spent any time in prison or not. They cut directly from his sentencing to his escape, but then I think Anne and Mary were giving birth simultaneously during the escape, but Ubisoft didn't bother making pregnant character models so I have no idea if that's actually the case. And then I saw Vane in the prison, too, even though I killed him on that island. And then, right at the end Ade tells me that Woodes Rogers also survived me stabbing him in the neck, and Edward promises to deal with it but then the credits roll immediately and nothing ever comes of it.

They do this with every AC story, and it's always awful. It's like they don't plan out the story in advance and never figure out a way to wrap it up well, so they just skip ahead five years and hope that you'll make up some details for them. "And then Ezio was fighting a big battle one day and Cesare was right there and he stabbed him, The End"

Doran902

are there no players online on the ps4 version? been trying to get a game but it just puts me in my own lobby and nobody joins

also, ive been reading through the thread and was just wondering how i access my exclusive content and the weapons and outfits from the codes i entered

game is a blast, spent 2 hours last night just collecting treasure from the maps

yep i think im about 'done' with this and will just marathon the story missions.

props to them keeping me hooked doing misc stuff longer than the other games and most open worldish games.

They really needa fuck off with those tailing missions though. i want to give them zero stars.

Fuck sneaking missions. I don't feel stealthy at all. I'm just running from tall grass to tall grass quicker than it takes those all-fucking-seeing-riflemen to go red.

Man I'm loving this game. It's pretty amazing. I've never played an AC game before and didn't know if jumping in here was smart or not, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything really.

I never knew I wanted to play a pirate sim so badly.

Definitely keeping my eye on AC5 when it hits. Curious about the setting. I would have little to no interest if it was some Industrial Revolution/Civil War era shit.

Also loving the game.

It runs like a champ on the X1.

Due to my fluid Spanish, I'm also having a blast listening to the people on the streets. They have a very heavy Spanish accent. I was expecting some sort of Cuban accent but I guess that's how it sounded during the Colonial times.

Just finished it today, and I'm really disappointed with the last half of the story.
The game does such a good job of suckering you into the idea that maybe it'll be different this time. This new protagonist isn't a sack of wet onions, and he doesn't have any stake in the Assassin/Templar bullshit, and he's got this sweet pirate ship and every time an Assassin walks in he blows them off hilariously! But, before you even know it, they're foisting this ham-fisted turn on you, where Edward succumbs to the evils of being fun and interesting and lovable and eventually realises that his true calling is to be serious all the time and Save The World™. Why, life isn't even worth living if you don't have a CREED, BRO!

Isn't that called having a character arc? You're probably just not used to seeing it in a video game. Obviously they set him up a selfish bastard who neglects his wife and only cares about money, and then they involve him in something so much bigger than himself and hopefully he grows up a bit at some point. I don't see that as a failing.

Wish you can rate side stuff.

Things I enjoyed.

- Templar key missions.
- collecting shantys
- assassinations
- warehouses

Things I went nope

- collecting the glowy things
- fleet thing
- hacking
- dive bell stuff

Gamespawn

Potential warning for PS4 AC4 digital buyers. I bought and downloaded this over the weekend. It finished downloading and installing, but my internet went down before I could play it. Booted the game without internet, and everything was fine until I got to the main menu. Absolutely no sound. All the splash screens had sound and so did the attract mode cutscene. But as soon as I tried to play, sound was off. My internet was repaired yesterday, loaded up the game and everything is working now. I guess your Uplay pass has to connect with the server before it allows you to play with sound.

Dire

100% agreed. The sailing and piracy aspects of this game are just so fun.

If they kept the same world and did nothing but created a game where you start out in some small ship - a pinnace, sloop, whatever- and have to slowly build yourself up to a decked out fleet of ships of the line. Add some trading, letters of marque, perhaps the ability to build up/defend your own forts, throw some whatever story on it and they have my $60.

Just whatever they do - for the sake of all that's good - no no no NO BALLROOM DANCING MINIGAMES.

Leotarius

Loving this game. Full on naval battles during hurricanes never gets old.

Any suggestions for taking on forts? Should I upgrade the Jackdaw to a certain level before going for these? Getting my butt handed to me by most of them.

Pitmonkey

Any suggestions for taking on forts? Should I upgrade the Jackdaw to a certain level before going for these? Getting my butt handed to me by most of them.

Ugh - the first fort I got thrown into had like... 9 defense stations during a hurricane with three twisters and ships defending it - I wanted to quit the game.... but I did it.

Best thing I have found is to strike from afar and strike quick. Get in - do damage, than sale away - rinse and repeat.

Double D

Things I enjoyed.

- Templar key missions.
- collecting shantys
- assassinations
- warehouses

Things I went nope

- fleet thing
- hacking
- dive bell stuff

I feel pretty much the same. Also I guess I'm in the minority because I didn't care for naval battles. So I pretty much avoided everything that wasn't mandatory. Because of that, several missions told me I should upgrade my ship before starting the mission. I could never accumulate enough metal to upgrade enough, so I just dove into those missions with my moderately upgraded ship. Some were tough, but I managed.

Sometimes things come together so well in this game. When the bad weather hits at just the right time and things get really cool. this game has like the best rain ever by the way. Even on land, it looks so amazing. The way the mud looks all wet and you make footprints just after its rained.

As for forts, I was already upgraded a bit when I took them on and I'm finding them fairly easy. I keep circling them from pretty close, attacking as I go. If you can't circle them it's a bit tougher. Just move in close at the slower speed and turn quickly, going from side to side. You can actually turn pretty fast if you're not going full speed.

I feel pretty much the same. Also I guess I'm in the minority because I didn't care for naval battles. So I pretty much avoided everything that wasn't mandatory. Because of that, several missions told me I should upgrade my ship before starting the mission. I could never accumulate enough metal to upgrade enough, so I just dove into those missions with my moderately upgraded ship. Some were tough, but I managed.

Same. I upgraded my haul to near max and kinda stopped grinding. Can take on most things fine enough.

Boat stuff should have more variety. Let me board without damage ship. Require me to kill more enemies.

Let me switch ships.

Leotarius

Ugh - the first fort I got thrown into had like... 9 defense stations during a hurricane with three twisters and ships defending it - I wanted to quit the game.... but I did it.

Best thing I have found is to strike from afar and strike quick. Get in - do damage, than sale away - rinse and repeat.

Sometimes things come together so well in this game. When the bad weather hits at just the right time and things get really cool. this game has like the best rain ever by the way. Even on land, it looks so amazing. The way the mud looks all wet and you make footprints just after its rained.

As for forts, I was already upgraded a bit when I took them on and I'm finding them fairly easy. I keep circling them from pretty close, attacking as I go. If you can't circle them it's a bit tougher. Just move in close at the slower speed and turn quickly, going from side to side. You can actually turn pretty fast if you're not going full speed.

Thanks for the advice guys. And yea the graphics on PS4 are out of this world sometimes. Just wish they would fix all the janky animations.

Tacitus_

If memory serves one of the computers mentioned they had ancestral data from the
Opium Wars
period. That would work for ship combat.

I'd love for them to get back to Europe. Get Kyd to compose again, get a charismatic character like Ezio and make the story matter.

And fix the goddamn freerunning.

-NeoTB1-

I've put about a dozen hours into it so far and loving it. I'm pretty much ignoring everything else I own on the PS4 right now.

Chucker

are there no players online on the ps4 version? been trying to get a game but it just puts me in my own lobby and nobody joins

also, ive been reading through the thread and was just wondering how i access my exclusive content and the weapons and outfits from the codes i entered

game is a blast, spent 2 hours last night just collecting treasure from the maps

I've been playing online nightly. It might be your NAT.

Pitmonkey

I'd love for them to get back to Europe. Get Kyd to compose again, get a charismatic character like Ezio and make the story matter.

And fix the goddamn freerunning.

They need to remove the guards from the roofs. This was something I NEVER understood about assassin's creed. You make the faster, more fluid form of travel riddled with annoyances. You even incorporate features in past games that make these annoyances ignore you - just remove them. Make traveling via roof top more viable than just sticking to the streets.

Derrick01

Banned

Things I enjoyed.

- Templar key missions.
- collecting shantys
- assassinations
- warehouses

Things I went nope

- fleet thing
- hacking
- dive bell stuff

I would rate all of that on the nope scale. They brought assassinations back but in its most basic form. I've done probably 15 already and they all feel exactly the same, with the same bonus objectives (don't get into open combat) and everything. It feels more like Far Cry 3's tacked on assassination missions instead of how they used to be in this series, which wasn't all that special to begin with but they at least had unique bonus objectives.

The problem, as I see it, is that Assassin's Creed is a massive, unwieldy ship and turning it at all is too difficult for yearly releases. Even if someone went "Hey, what if we did a mission where you recruit subordinates but it wasn't just going to certain points on the map, fighting off guards, and then the person giving you a single line of loyalty? What if we changed that?" There's too many people working on too many different parts to really make changes like that.

Ubisoft has created this situation where everything is just iterating on what the previous game did because there's not enough time and too many people to make major, necessary changes and everyone only knows how to make Assassin's Creed like Assassin's Creed. So any changes are mostly half-assed and make for worse games, but no changes make for really stale games.

Special C

Most important upgrade for forts is the hull. I had my weapons upgraded quite a bit but medium level forts gave me fits. Once I upgraded my hill to lvl 3 it got a lot easier.

Top Bottom