• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Mognet

how are the private match settings in this game's multiplayer?

i remember trying to create one with my friend back on brotherhood but couldn't figure out how or if it was even possible.

SJRB

Gold Member
Love the game. How do you know how many hours you put in? Is there a place that shows that?

Your save file in the loading screen shows your total playtime.

I'm not sure if it takes downtime [pause screen] in account though.

void666

Banned
I had 4 level wanted. Then i attacked one more ship and got desynchronized.
I hope it's a bug and not some "your ancestral did not attack so many ships" bullshit.

Mendax

I hope it's a bug and not some "your ancestral did not attack so many ships" bullshit.

make sure that you are not attacking any ships and boats that show up as blue dots on your radar (those are fellow pirates/civilians). If you are attacking only red ones you should not get desynched at all.

The diving sections in the game are ass.

Loving just about everything else, though

I hate them, too.

Use your lens to make sure the ships you're attacking aren't civilian or pirate ships. Those get you desynched.

I tried tackling one of those legendary ships yesterday. My Jackdaw isn't fully upgraded yet. You can guess how it went.

Mendax

I tried tackling one of those legendary ships yesterday. My Jackdaw isn't fully upgraded yet. You can guess how it went.

iirc i did the ones in the NW and the SE corner before fully upgrading my jackdaw, it was a challenge but definitely doable. The remaining 2 were quite challenging even at 100% upgrades. I loved all 4 of them though :)

I do have a question though, anyone have general tips when attacking other ships? I am dying a lot (my ship, not my character)...

If you can, stay on the butt's or bow's of ships. It also depends on what ships you are trying to sink. Schooners are easy prey, Brigs and Frigates are medium to easy difficulty. Don't forget to RAM them.

As for Man O' War's, I always take one at a time. If your confident to take on 3 different ships, sink the weak ships first THEN board and repair your ship. Go for the Man o' War last.

Max out your mortars if you can. Mortars are extremely effective on Man O' Wars. Never get in range of the Man O' Wars side cannon's or your fucked.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Love the game. How do you know how many hours you put in? Is there a place that shows that?

The game is at its best when you are in the open world and doing what you want. I love the naval combat, the legendary ships, all of it.

What I hate so far (on session 10) is the tailing missions. I know it has been said over and over in this thread but the need to stop with these. What makes them almost unforgivable is when they put you in one and then give you an optional objective to stealth kill 10 howler monkeys which are all over the map while you have to keep the tail in sight, all while guards run around in the same pattern. I hate the idea that this is an open world do what you want game, but then every single mission wants you to play a certain way. I know I don't have to to do the optional objectives, but the desire to do everything is so strong I can't help myself, and I think at times it is because of this I find myself not having as much fun as I should.

I really wish they would only put optional objectives in from time to time so that some of the missions I can just sit back and play how I want. (I know there are a few that don't have objectives, but these are usually short missions without a lot in them.

Go to the start menu and then database. There's an option for Statistics which shows you this and other detail.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
If you can, stay on the butt's or bow's of ships. It also depends on what ships you are trying to sink. Schooners are easy prey, Brigs and Frigates are medium to easy difficulty. Don't forget to RAM them.

As for Man O' War's, I always take one at a time. If your confident to take on 3 different ships, sink the weak ships first THEN board and repair your ship. Go for the Man o' War last.

Max out your mortars if you can. Mortars are extremely effective on Man O' Wars. Never get in range of the Man O' Wars side cannon's or your fucked.

Pretty much this. Also...chain shot is your friend. Always. Aim for the sails.

void666

Banned
Use your lens to make sure the ships you're attacking aren't civilian or pirate ships. Those get you desynched.

I did. It wasn't a civilian ship but a spanish frigate.

Huh. Maybe I'm in the minority here but I really like the diving: Controls work well, running out of air keeps things mildly tense (till you notice how easy it is to find barrels/air pockets) and it looks great. What is it you don't like?

At first i hated the diving sections. Having to constantly look for air is too stressing. But i tried again and realized how easy it is.

Controls and animation are very good and the visuals are stunning. Once i hear a whale singing, i look up and there's this huge whale swiming by.
And each area feels very unique.

I just don't like how the game tries to screw the player in every possible way. There are sharks, jelly fish and those pointy red things, morays. Those damn stealth morays...

ruxtpin

Banned
Huh. Maybe I'm in the minority here but I really like the diving: Controls work well, running out of air keeps things mildly tense (till you notice how easy it is to find barrels/air pockets) and it looks great. What is it you don't like?

I hated them at first as well, but after doing several more for the upgrade plans they began to grow on me.

Unrelated: Anyone fought the Legendary ship battle that involves two man o wars? It seems that taking one down makes the other one go absolutely apeshit and wreck you like a fool. Anyone have advice?

jet1911

Hahaha I love the "future" section. The first meeting with Olivier is hilarious (if you're from Quebec)! "If it were up to me on s'en criss" Hahahaha! First time I've heard something like that in a game.

exYle

Sharks.
Moray eels.
Eagle vision is neutered underwater - you can't use it to highlight enemies. Also, enemies fail to show up on the mini-map.
And the controls do NOT work well. I've been tailed by sharks multiple times only to get stuck navigating around pieces of wreckage.
I wouldn't mind it as much if there were a way to fight back, but the fact that you're completely defenseless... Ugh.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The only thing I disliked about the diving was how bloody dark it was, I spent a lot of time rubbing my face against the walls of wrecks cause I couldn't make out the hallways.

Setre

I'm not going to play Liberation HD, so if anyone wants the code for it let me know. It's the PS4 code btw.

Logash

just finished the game with 77% sync and 25 hours in. I plan to platinum it. This was by far my favorite AC game. That epilogue made me sad :(

KorrZ

My OCD makes me collect every single fragment, chest, shanty, ruin, etc in this game. It takes forever, but I find it enjoyable

Everytime I get to a new major city my OCD goes nuts. Havana, Kingston & Nassau all 100% though! Every single spot on the map must be gold.

I'm not going to play Liberation HD, so if anyone wants the code for it let me know. It's the PS4 code btw.

I'd appreciate that if the offer is still open.

But on the topic of the diving sections. I thought they weren't too bad for the most part, it's just that they were completely overloaded with sharks and eels to make them dangerous. There's no way in hell every shipwreck is swarmed with sharks

Stupid question : I'm tempted to buy it as I need games for my PS4, but :
1°) Is it worth it to buy the more expensive PS4 version ? I mean, i the performance really better than on current gen ?
2°) About the Ass Cred series :
1 - Hated it
2 - Loved it
Brotherhood - Super loved it, my favourite in the series. Plus loads of stuff to do as sidequests and platforming and assassination contracts.
Revelatiosn - Meh
3 - Super meh.

The question is, do you think I'm going to enjoy this game ? Thanks !

1°) Is it worth it to buy the more expensive PS4 version ? I mean, i the performance really better than on current gen ?
1 - Hated it
2 - Loved it
Brotherhood - Super loved it, my favourite in the series. Plus loads of stuff to do as sidequests and platforming and assassination contracts.
Revelatiosn - Meh
3 - Super meh.

The performance is easily the first thing I noticed from the PS3 to PS4 version followed by how much better the other effects are(especially the smoke). It's the best AC in the series since Brotherhood. It feels like it should have been it's own game in just the drastic change to it's setting. Story is just okay, not great. Mechanics are a more refined version of ACIII and they work pretty well. I don't find myself running up walls accidentally like I did in ACIII. If you like the pirates or are interested in the era you should def. pick it up, but it's not so substantially different than the PS3 version to warrant a double dip, but it's good enough to warrant a $10 upgrade.

tips on 3 star bases? getting the shit kicked outta me. just getting spammed to death.

doesn't help that one of them seems to always be in foggy places. hmmmm

also how do you get the dough for the top upgrades? Is there a good way to grind?

Barzul

Just beat this, definitely the best AC game I've played since AC2 by far. Hope we see more games like this where being an Assassin is not just the central concept of the story. The pirate stuff was really fun. I'm guessing we're going to Egypt next.

God I love this game so much. Just got my ass kicked by a legendary ship (although I think I held my own considering I don't have all of the upgrades) and had a blast as it happened!

Derrick01

Banned
My god could they have made the diving more painfully awful? Where the hell are all these sharks coming from?

I often wonder if it's possible for Ubisoft to design a single decent gameplay system in their open world games.

Logash

My god could they have made the diving more painfully awful? Where the hell are all these sharks coming from?

I often wonder if it's possible for Ubisoft to design a single decent gameplay system in their open world games.

Seaweed is completely USELESS. That is about the only thing I didn't like about this game. I really did love getting stuff underwater though.

Fletcher

I have tried the past AC games and couldn't get into them for some reason. Once again I'm intrigued. Is this more or less exactly like he others? I like the idea that this map is speed out a bit. Is it just a big open world with islands and sneaking?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm really enjoying this game now. The Assassins Creed part is meh(combat is ok, I don't like the stealth parts) but the sailing is amazing. I absolutely love sailing, it really immerses me in the game and makes me wish I was a 17th century pirate :p

God damn, the underwater parts are so shitty. I just played through the first underwater mission. Many more of those coming up in the main story? :(

MilkBeard

So Liberation HD will be released for PS4 as well? I'm really glad. I want to give the game a try but I really don't want to have to go back to playing on last gen for AC after the glory of 1080p +30fps on PS4.

EDIT: Doesn't look like there's any word on a PS4 version, you probably meant the PS3 code.

Gammacide

Everytime I get to a new major city my OCD goes nuts. Havana, Kingston & Nassau all 100% though! Every single spot on the map must be gold.
This is my goal with AC4 as well. Closest I've come is with AC2, but I couldn't bring myself to hunt down all the feathers and I never will. For whatever reason, hunting down everything in this game is just so much more fun. Can't wait to 100% it. Having a blast.

MilkBeard

This is my goal with AC4 as well. Closest I've come is with AC2, but I couldn't bring myself to hunt down all the feathers and I never will. For whatever reason, hunting down everything in this game is just so much more fun. Can't wait to 100% it. Having a blast.

Yeah, something about AC4 that makes me want to collect everything. I've been slowly going around and collecting lots of stuff, switching between cities and islands, eventually getting gold. It's funny because I'm usually the type who doesn't give a damn about collecting everything, but I just feel like it with this game for some reason.

Chris_C

How do you turn on 3D in the PS4 version? It's listed as 3D compatible on the store (as the two previous games were), and after trying Trine 2 in 3D, I'd like to give AC4 a shot as well.

Loving almost everything about this game but I cannot tell you how awful the forced hunting is. The whale hunting in particular makes me feel incredibly horrible. Seeing the gargantuan and gorgeous creatures in their death throes makes my heart hurt so badly. All of the hunting makes me feel the same pain I feel when I listen to "Leviathan Bound" by Shearwater (PS-Don't watch the video; just listen to it):

You could just buy the skins and hunting goods you want from a store though, right?

1 - Hated it
2 - Loved it
Revelatiosn - Meh
3 - Super meh.

Peraonsally, I think the higher res and butter smooth framerate make the PS4 version definitive. I'm truly loving 4, here are my thoughts on the other games.

1 - Loved the idea, got bored of the game pretty quickly
2 - Really liked it
3 - My favorite at the time, but I never finished it as the series lore started to drag, and the game was just far too long.
Revelations - Skipped it
3 - Really disliked it. Actually turned me off all Ubisoft games and made me think the series was dead

4 - My favorite. The series still needs a re-think from the ground up as a lot of the fundamental issues still exist, but it's a heck of a lot of fun, and even the mostly optional real world segments are interesting and get me excited about the potential future of the series.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
lol, consoel prices are super cheap everywhere. I bet many people that got suckered into getting this at launch with there new consoles must feel a bit silly ;)

AC games are GUARANTEED TO BOMBA PRICE DURING BF EVERY YEAR

I picked it up as a free game from Amazon. I would have been quite frustrated if I had bought it on the PC last week, though.

Kvik

lol, consoel prices are super cheap everywhere. I bet many people that got suckered into getting this at launch with there new consoles must feel a bit silly ;)

AC games are GUARANTEED TO BOMBA PRICE DURING BF EVERY YEAR

Yeah in hindsight, it was probably more economical to buy all the PS4 games during black friday; then again many wouldn't be able to resist (myself included) keeping their console idle between the 15th and today.

At least I did save $10 for AC4 with $10 PSN credit though. I got Knack & Killzone for $49 each so it wasn't too bad!

Back on topic, I'm still on sequence 2, did anyone know how to view the Treasure Maps in the Second Screen?

this fucking mission

BaNt7EkIQAAkyGq.jpg:large

and naturally there is no way to 1 star underwater bullshit

Jeels

Apparently Australians get a tankard with their ACIV's? That is pretty badass.

Friend just posted this:

576653_10152126086357642_1022794842_n.jpg

00:16 Stooge and drinking rum out of a tankard while playing a pirate game
00:16 Stooge couldnt pass that up

Top Bottom