• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Munin

Man I haven't played AC since AC II, and I don't think they literally made something different on the game since then. I couldn't agree more. I uninstalled it within the first 2 hours of gameplay.

So basically you uninstalled it before you even got to the part where it becomes different?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So basically you uninstalled it before you even got to the part where it becomes different?

I did feel that the Havana intro was quite boring. Didn't leave a great first impression. Things really pick up after sequence 3. I'm having a blast sailing the seas now and enjoying the sense of adventure.

Tohsaka

I think this is probably my favorite game in the series since II. I've spent so much time just doing side activities and getting the collectibles that I've only done a bit over half the storyline according to the trophies. I can't believe what a huge improvement this game is over the last one, which I liked but admit was flawed.

So at what point does the arbitrary memory barrier preventing me from getting the last stone go down? Getting tired of this bullshit where Ubisoft locks things away until the very end.

Xbox One Players - does Assassins Creed automatically capture Game DVR Clips? I have a clip in my DVR folder titled something like "Top Scorer" and it shows I what I think is my first 700+ point kill in multiplayer. I dont remember recording it, and I definitely didn't add the custom title.

Xbox One Players - does Assassins Creed automatically capture Game DVR Clips? I have a clip in my DVR folder titled something like "Top Scorer" and it shows I what I think is my first 700+ point kill in multiplayer. I dont remember recording it, and I definitely didn't add the custom title.

Doesn't the bone automatically record achievements?

NeOak

So, do i buy the Season Pass if i'm just going for SP stuff?

And i haven't played ANY of the previous ones. Can I spoil myself (I know about AC1 basically, but ignored from AC2 until now) or should i reaaaally play the other ones first?

Jedi2016

Any idea how to unlock the Queen Anne's sails? I have the wheel and the figurehead available in the shop, but not the sails. I've already done
Blackbeard's retirement
, I figured they would show up after that. They're not part of one of those stupid pre-order DLC packs are they?

Finished it. Enjoyed it, but for some reason it started to drag on after a while. I'm not exactly sure what caused that sentiment, because it's the first time I've had it with an AC game. Maybe I'm growing tired of the formula.

I ultimately think the heavy emphasis on sailing may have something to do with it, as well as the large amount of bugs and crappy freerunning. I want interesting cities to explore again, and AC4 didn't deliver in that regard.

Munin

Any way to make the night darker without affecting the vibrancy of daytime (PC)? :( The game is stupidly bright at night, it ruins the mood.

I've tried numerous times to get into Assassin's Creed games and always failed. I'm trying again since this is one of the few games available on the PS4, and I'm just not sure what the hell I'm supposed to be doing or why. I got to Havana, I did some mission for a merchant, and then I'm just in this city with a bunch of crap on my minimap. I tried collecting some of them, but it just seems super boring, unless I'm missing something, and I always get killed when the guards detect me.

I wish I could get into it because I have nothing else to play at the moment, but I'm not sure what the point of all this stuff I'm collecting is. I could go towards the big exclamation mark on the minimap, but I'm kind of a completionist and I hate advancing the story without finishing everything else off.

Noi

So, do i buy the Season Pass if i'm just going for SP stuff?

Wait for Freedom Cry to come first and see how much it costs individually. That's the only real significant SP content that's coming for it, so you might be better off getting that individually and not spend $20 on MP stuff.

Any way to make the night darker without affecting the vibrancy of daytime (PC)? :( The game is stupidly bright at night, it ruins the mood.
It's funny that you mention this; I played a mission last night (on PS4) where I had to chase and kill someone at night during a torrential rain storm, and the game was extremely dark, the darkest it's been so far. Usually at night you have that moonlight glow over everything, which I'm fond of, but this section was pure dark, probably exactly what you're looking for. Combined with the rain effects it looked very impressive.

Where's the best place to farm for mat?

These final upgrades ain't cheap. Kenways ship thing is kinda addicting now I realize I can do it on the iPad. Just getting a fleet of man of war.

BigDug13

I've tried numerous times to get into Assassin's Creed games and always failed. I'm trying again since this is one of the few games available on the PS4, and I'm just not sure what the hell I'm supposed to be doing or why. I got to Havana, I did some mission for a merchant, and then I'm just in this city with a bunch of crap on my minimap. I tried collecting some of them, but it just seems super boring, unless I'm missing something, and I always get killed when the guards detect me.

I wish I could get into it because I have nothing else to play at the moment, but I'm not sure what the point of all this stuff I'm collecting is. I could go towards the big exclamation mark on the minimap, but I'm kind of a completionist and I hate advancing the story without finishing everything else off.

If the collecting is boring you, don't do it. Just keep heading towards those exclamation points and finish the story in Havana. The game changes once you can get out of Havana and actually start your pirating career on a ship. (you can always go back to Havana anytime. The game is open world and it's not like your chance to collect items in Havana goes away)

But feeling bored while collecting while also being a completionist seems like a bad combo in an AC game. And I don't see how the two things would ever be compatible where you feel internally compelled to collect everything and you're bored to tears while doing it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay, I've been playing quite a few hours of the PS4 version today, after sinking about 25 hours into the PS3 version the last couple of weeks. For those wondering - I did the Ubi "upgrade to PS4 for 10 bucks" thing. It works perfectly, but it won't transfer your save files.

Anyway, the game looks so much better on PS4. Better textures, the lighting engine is completely different, the sea dynamics are way more apparant [more waves] and lots of little details like seawater washing over the deck after a big wave [this doesn't happen in the PS3 version]. Rain effects look better and the water reflects properly now, adding a lot to the overall atmosphere. Plus the foliage is more dense and more dynamic.

That being said, the game is still a technical trainwreck. I hoped the next-gen version would also somehow get rid of the shit A.I. and pathfinding, and the bizarre graphical glitches that happen all over the place. But unfortunately, none of those issues are fixed. NPCs getting rendered right in front of your face like they're beaming down from the Enterprise. When you move fast you can see NPCs in the distance spawning in and assuming their "position". Chase missions going awry because the target bumps into something and this somehow completely confuses the A.I. so it keeps running into the wall. Stuff like that. Everything is so shallow, so lifeless. This game has no soul.

Is there anything like the Assassin Tombs from 2 (or was it BroHood?) in this one? I loved those. Kinda like mini-levels within the game. Puzzles and specific tasks to complete, but optional?

McLovin

After beating the game you get a bunch of extra missions right? I got to that point and decided to finish those up the next day. I go on and no missions are available. Anyone know to fix this? There's no main mission icon either.
I've been trying to see if I could platinum this game, but realized that they had a couple online trophies too... I absolutely hate this. Put one in to try it... maybe even for going up a few levels. But don't make it something you have to put several hours into. I decided to at least give the MP a try and within 2 seconds of starting a match I got shanked and the game crashed. I guess I wont be getting that platinum after all :/

Absolutely hated Assassins Creed 3 and absolutely love this one. It is so much better than what they did with 3, Kenway is such an awesome character. As it stands right now this is my favorite of all of the Assassins Creed games and it looks beautiful on PS4.

Izayoi

Banned
Can you not retry warehouse missions?

I'm trying to do 3 without alarm bells ringing, but I didn't know that berserk darts would cause the guards to run for them.

Kind of frustrating that it doesn't let me retry from the beginning. :|

How do I get more resources to trade in the Fleet mini/meta game?
Participate in ship battles (in the minigame).

Noi

Can you not retry warehouse missions?

I'm trying to do 3 without alarm bells ringing, but I didn't know that berserk darts would cause the guards to run for them.

Kind of frustrating that it doesn't let me retry from the beginning. :|

Do you mean the one Warehouse mission in the story or the the side-activity ones? The latter will refill after a certain amount of time so you can do them over again for more money/materials.

Bebpo

Banned
I just can't get over how much I love this game. I hated ACIII so, so much. Was pure torture playing it for 30+ hours. So tedious and unfun. And for me story is pretty important in a game, which is why I love ACII so much for the grand tale it tells.

Yet even though ACIV doesn't have much of a plot, I don't even care. The game is just one of the best sandbox games I've ever played. The world is so much fun to explore and mess around in. This is the first AC that finally hits that GTA sandbox fun the series has always wanted. It's so much fun to find some plantation island, sneak around stealthly killing all the guards in any way you want (not because you have to! But because you actually want to stealth it and get that satisfaction) while cutting all the alarms and then looting the wharehouse and getting actual useful loot (useful upgrade system helps a lot!) and exploring the island for collectibles and hidden mysteries and skinning a few animals to upgrade something new on your character. Not because you had to do any of that at all...but because...why not? It's fun and you just had a great 10-15 mins of gaming.

The main missions are definitely the weakest link because unlike the above situation, you're still forced to play scripted missions where they want you to play in scripted ways and if you go for 100% sync it can be tedious and a lot of trial & error.

But thankfully the game is 20% main missions/story and 80% awesome sandbox world. There's so many assassin's contracts that give you free reign to assassinate someone any way you'd like! Stealth onto an enemy ship and kill the target? Get in your ship and tail his ship and sink him to the sea? Fight his ship and board it and air assassinate your target from the mast and loot the ship? Sure! The assassination contracts + exploration + warehouse islands give the free-form PLAY YOUR OWN WAY sandbox AC game that I've always wanted gameplay-wise. Absolutely love it.

And on top of that Naval stuff is fun, the upgrade system is fun. The world has so many nice touches to make it feel alive. The music is SO GOOD. The singing while fast sailing was an incredible decision as it adds so much to the ambiance and makes it a perfect pirate sim. Love the shanty songs. And the music players in taverns playing good music...awesome! And just little stuff like a guy fishing on a rock on an island and ships sailing around fighting each other. Waves affecting the boat movement. Scoping out things with your scope. Treasure maps, etc... it's so well done and meaty and fleshed out.

I've also found that going by suggestions here, turning off everything on the HUD besides SSI & updates (so you know what's in the chests you get and see objectives) makes the game so much better. I love going to islands and instead of just running out collectible icons, I get to high ground and use eagle vision to scope out the enemies, the treasures, the animals and then I make my own path. Sailing is nice just using the main map to point in the direction you want to go and look out at islands as you pass them to see if you want to check them out or scope out the ships you pass to see if you want to fight them. Even the forts are way more fun when you make your way to high ground and use eagle vision to spot the commander and stealth take him out. Just makes it a far more enjoyable experience for sure.

And I'm only like 1/3rd through the game now! (top 1/3rd of the map clear). Even if the story ends up being weak, they've made such a fantastic sandbox game that any story is all icing on top and the frustrations of sub-objectives in the story missions are annoying but a one hiccup on an otherwise fantastic game. I haven't even touched the MP, but it looks deep with a lot of content and even though I'm not an MP person I'm looking forward to messing around with it after I finish the SP game.

Oh and even the Abstergo challenges are great this time around. They remind me of Saints Row 3/4 challenges where they reward you simply for doing cool stuff you normal do in the game so as you explore the world and do your own thing you're constantly seeing "gj, challenge complete! Here's some rewards!" which is really satisfying.

They knocked this one out of the park. Even Revelations wasn't bad (just under-budgeted and rushed), so I have a lot of trust now with this director and look forward to any future ACs he makes.

Oh and I think they've got one more Pirate AC left in them (maybe next game will be ACIV: Subtitle?). Because with the talks of social gaming for the next AC I can totally sea an open world pirate adventure like ACIV with 64 player free roam on a map while you're doing the SP stuff. Would be cool to see actual people sailing around and you can fight and loot them or start up an MP game of cat & mouse on an island. There's so much potential here.

Ricker

Okay now that I had my fill with Killzone,I am going to start this for good...thinking of using the Vita for the second screen stuff...does it work well? is it fun? what does it do exactly...?

Uh, just getting a black screen when I boot this now. PS4. I can hear the audio - i.e. the developer splash screen etc, but no image. Anyone else?

ButchCat

They could do so much with the multiplayer in this game, have someone invade your game Dark Souls style and have a ship battle. Why isn't that there?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Been playing this a bit tonight (it's my first PS4 retail game). Have really just done the intro and some stuff in Havana so far, but I'm liking it! Visually it doesn't exactly scream "next-gen!", but it looks nice enough. 1080p with a solid framerate and no screen tearing is certainly a massive improvement over the last AC game I played for the PS3.

okayfrog

Banned
The game's $35 on Amazon and I'm thinking about giving in and buying it. I bought 3 for $40 last year and thought, well, ehh, it was okay. The story wasn't wacky enough ('cept for the first part) and the game was a buggy mess at times. Only really redeeming parts were the ship parts. This looks to be all that, so for $5 less it'd be worth it, right? How about the story? How wacky does it get? Please tell me there are some wacky twists.

What's the secret for activating/using your uplay passport code to get content? Just seems to loop me back to dashboard on the PS4. Same for the 60 minute content code too. Nothing seems to register.

SJRB

Gold Member
What's the secret for activating/using your uplay passport code to get content? Just seems to loop me back to dashboard on the PS4. Same for the 60 minute content code too. Nothing seems to register.

Uplay servers are completely boned for days now, not sure what the hell is going on over at Ubisoft but they need to fix this.

Played a few hours of this on PC, game looks nice, seems to be better than 3 so far. Don't think it'll compare to the Ezio trilogy but still seems like the series is back on track quality wise

Apoc87

Banned

for the season pass, once you have entered the code for the passport, close the application. Go through the psn store for aciv (by way of the dashboard) and manually download the passport. should recognize it when you start the application next.

as for the 60 minutes of additional content, i have no fucking idea how to access it either, and it really pisses me off.

how do i activate the fucking Aveline content on ps4.

theres a code in the game case, then you select aveline in the main menu.

edit: if it be codes ye be trying to redeem arrgggggh

Hr4j4rJ.png

Bebpo

Banned
Any good way to get money quick? There's no auto-economy in this one like AC2 where it brings it cash for you and no send assassins around the world doing missions while you're out mini-game in this, right?

Midou

I can't bring myself to do story missions, I just want to sail everywhere, sink ships, and upgrade the Jackdaw. :p

Not that I find anything wrong with the story missions, they are at worst inoffensive.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Just accidentally ran across a legendary ship by accident.

Got shredded like nobody's business. Jesus.

Wait till you tackle El Impoluto.

The Legendary ships are supposed to hurt. That being said, you want your Jackdaw near max upgraded, if not at max. That means everything.

Each ship has a unique behaviour, so different tactics are required.

Jedi2016

theres a code in the game case, then you select aveline in the main menu.

edit: if it be codes ye be trying to redeem arrgggggh

Hr4j4rJ.png
Ah, that explains that, then... I was trying to finally redeem my pre-order content today and the store kept kicking me out to the main screen every time I tried entering the code.

Ricker

No one is using the Vita as a second screen...?,I just tried and it does nothing,the Vita screen just says not in use right now...the E-manual says it's suppose to show game progress,Treasure maps and stuff like that...

Top Bottom