• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

just curious, anybody with other versions of the game wanna time how long it takes to go from save select screen to ingame (ocean for consistent comparison)?

On pc disc based harddrive, 24.05 seconds.

No one is using the Vita as a second screen...?,I just tried and it does nothing,the Vita screen just says not in use right now...the E-manual says it's suppose to show game progress,Treasure maps and stuff like that...

There's a companion app for iOS/Android tablets. Does the manual explicitly say you can use the VITA for this?

Logash

95% sync and only one single player Achievement to go. Time to get my ass kicked by some legendary ships. Then... multiplayer :(

Chris_C

Don't particularly find this AC interesting or "fun" at all. But Blackbeards performance here and here...some of the best acting I've seen in gaming. Intimidation level at 11 in these scenes.

Disagree with you about the game not being fun, but yeah, that scene where he leans in on Bonnet was incredible, it was like I could feel every muscle in his face quiver with rage... and then he turned it off.

Great stuff.

I might be crazy... but my favorite parts of this game so far are the Easter eggs outside of the Animus.

SPOILER REGARDING OTHER UBISOFT PROPERTIES:

That stuff is so much better now that it's optional. It was really cool to find a letter from Blume, the guys who make the Watch_Dogs ctOS system to Abstergo. The present day stuff also opens the series up to explore stuff outside Assassin's Creed, as well as smaller, experimental games that are not action oriented, made by Abstergo. I hope they take the opportunity.

Noi

Any good way to get money quick? There's no auto-economy in this one like AC2 where it brings it cash for you and no send assassins around the world doing missions while you're out mini-game in this, right?

Royal convoys and White Whales. The social/community version of the Convoys get you 10k Reales a piece, while White Whale skins sell for 4k each.

How do you unlock new ships in the meta game?

Board them in the main game and select the "send to fleet" option!

Royal convoys and White Whales. The social/community version of the Convoys get you 10k Reales a piece, while White Whale skins sell for 4k each.

Board them in the main game and select the "send to fleet" option!
Ok thanks.

What's the best ship to capture early on? Brigs?

i dont get social chests and stuff. i found on social chest randomly in like 30 hours so far... maybe i should get some ubisoft friends lol.

anyone wanna uplay with me?

id: chickdigger802

About to stream this game LIVE on PS4 with audio commentary and Playstation camera capture! It will be my first time using the camera. I just got it lol

Twitch.tv/monkeydloufy

I'll be starting in 10 minutes

Bebpo

Banned

I'm guessing you need to be max upgrade to take out whales? I tried and was doing piddly damage with harpoon at level 2. Got it down to about 50% HP after like 5-10 mins and then it destroyed the ship.

Chris_C

Do you have to sign up for Uplay to do the social challenges? Cus I didn't haven't seen a single one so far. I have no desire to sign up for a publisher's service.

BigDug13

I'm guessing you need to be max upgrade to take out whales? I tried and was doing piddly damage with harpoon at level 2. Got it down to about 50% HP after like 5-10 mins and then it destroyed the ship.

Just know that you don't have to wait for the harpoon reticle to close in before throwing. You can machine gun those harpoons out there if the whale is easily hittable and that will significantly increase your dps to hopefully outpace any damage to your boat.

(but yeah, elite harpoons make it easier as well as the boat upgrade.)

Chipworm

Had to turn my PS4 resolution down to 720p to avoid the constant flickering. Annoying, but not a massive issue. Anyone else having this problem?

Also my season pass from PS3 didn't transfer. Waiting to hear back from support.

f@luS

More than a member.
Just played 20m on ps4. Wow. Sharp. A bit too sharp almost .... A little tiny annoying shimering also. Beside this gorgeous game

Had to turn my PS4 resolution down to 720p to avoid the constant flickering. Annoying, but not a massive issue. Anyone else having this problem?

Also my season pass from PS3 didn't transfer. Waiting to hear back from support.

I had to dial my PC version down to 900p because my 1080p tv was just too small. During the later-game foggy sections I just couldn't see shit.

Ricker

There's a companion app for iOS/Android tablets. Does the manual explicitly say you can use the VITA for this?

Yeah,further looking into this,UBI decided it seems that the second screen is only on tablets,even though the game has full remote play support on the Vita...oh well.

I just played the first sequence on PS4 and I'm impressed.
I hated the tutorial feel of the first 5 hours of three, and sequence one was far more interesting than that was.
The game looks/plays really well on PS4 too, I'm surprised; and pleased.

Dysun

Anyone else get constantly sidetracked destroying frigates/brigs/man o wars for their loot while going from point A to B?
I swear sometimes I wind up fighting ships for an hour straight just to cross a little part of the map. Can't help myself, must get all those upgrades

Is there a way to abandon Assassin Contracts? I started one where the guy is located in a fort I'm not yet upgraded enough to take down (southwest corner, only on Sequence 3, guess I was asking for it), but now its status/notification just taking up space on my screen and gradually getting annoying.

Edit: I just kept trying to take down the fort until I finally managed to catch it when it wasn't surrounded by a fleet. Killed the hell out of the contract. However, another question. Is there a good guide on Kenway's Fleet somewhere? I've been messing around a lot but I still feel like I'm doing it wrong.

Anyone else get constantly sidetracked destroying frigates/brigs/man o wars for their loot while going from point A to B?
I swear sometimes I wind up fighting ships for an hour straight just to cross a little part of the map. Can't help myself, must get all those upgrades

yeah, before i look at them at envy but now i feel like i can fuck them up.

sadly this really enlarges the issue with ship combat. the whole weak and then board system is quite repetitive, especially if you gotta do it back to back.

They need to offer at least 2 more ways to commandeer an enemy ship.

Logash

Can anyone explain Wolfpack mode for me? I played like 3 missions and I still don't get it. Am I suppose to be with someone?

Dysun

yeah, before i look at them at envy but now i feel like i can fuck them up.

sadly this really enlarges the issue with ship combat. the whole weak and then board system is quite repetitive, especially if you gotta do it back to back.

They need to offer at least 2 more ways to commandeer an enemy ship.
I agree, it gets really old after awhile. Being able to loot all the stuff without boarding would have been great. Having to board them every single time for the full spoils gets extremely tedious.

I agree, it gets really old after awhile. Being able to loot all the stuff without boarding would have been great. Having to board them every single time for the full spoils gets extremely tedious.

I'm pretty sure its more efficient to sink ships completely and just board the hunters to drop wanted level. Only time I board ships is if I really need a particular resource. You get full Reals from a ship if you sink it or board it though.

Dysun

I'm pretty sure its more efficient to sink ships completely and just board the hunters to drop wanted level. Only time I board ships is if I really need a particular resource. You get full Reals from a ship if you sink it or board it though.

I would sink them all if I didn't need so much damn metal (and wood occasionally), although you bring up a good point it might be more efficient to just sink it and find another to make up for the time spent on the boarding sequence.

Once you're sufficiently upgraded just fast travel to the southern most part of the map and take on man-of-wars constantly in order to get money and resources. I don't board, I just take half the loot and then go for another ship. High level ships are all over the place there so you end up making money quite quickly even without boarding. If you're about to die, then board and repair so you can go again.

With regards to the tailing missions, they are a bit of a problem. The idea of tailing and eavesdropping in an assassin's creed game is good, but the way they're approaching it needs work. Usually there are characters talking and important story stuff going on during these sections, but you're running around like a mad man trying to find a hiding spot so you miss what's going on. I would rather take the challenge out of these sections and make them more cinematic, allowing the story to unfold.

Bebpo

Banned
With regards to the tailing missions, they are a bit of a problem. The idea of tailing and eavesdropping in an assassin's creed game is good, but the way they're approaching it needs work. Usually there are characters talking and important story stuff going on during these sections, but you're running around like a mad man trying to find a hiding spot so you miss what's going on. I would rather take the challenge out of these sections and make them more cinematic, allowing the story to unfold.

Yeah, I agree. I never hear anything they're saying >_<

The boat tailing stuff is even worse.

Ending Spoiler:

That scene at the end with all of Kenway's old buddies, good and bad sitting around a table having a drink hit me right in the gut. Dont know why but damn lol.

Also a little disappointed that there is no trophy for hacking every computer or getting each sticky note.

Sorry if this has already been asked:
I have the season pass for this on PS4 and Kraken Ship Pack and Aveline Figurehead are listed in the downloads section as "Waiting to install" - do I need to actually do anything to get them to install?

Lucent

Gif made from my previous uploaded clip from the PS4...
nstafde

Man that gif is amazing.

Ending Spoiler:

That scene at the end with all of Kenway's old buddies, good and bad sitting around a table having a drink hit me right in the gut. Dont know why but damn lol.

Also a little disappointed that there is no trophy for hacking every computer or getting each sticky note.

Yep that part was well done.

So I just caught an overt Monkey Island reference, and it made me decide to stop by and praise this game. I only just got to Nassau, but this game is excellent. So much better than what I've played and seen of the rest of the series. It's got a much more unique identity, and so much to do.

Oh man, this game is so addicting. I cannot stop.

I never imagined sailing around would be so riveting... it seems like on paper it would get boring fast. Not for me.

Definitely my favorite AC game. Although, I actually miss the AC3 setting... the hunting and the snowy environments were just really neat.

Lucent

I'm guessing it's a PSN issue right now. Trying to download the game and it keeps having high estimates like 58 hours remaining (it had 99+ hours before I power cycled the system). Sucks because I would've liked to play it tonight. Hopefully they get their stuff together.

Strigiday

Neo Member
What are the nine types of weapon in the kill an enemy with every type of weapon challenge? I'm stuck at seven out of nine and have been for awhile.

Top Bottom