• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

graywolf323

Gemüsepizza;87930659 said:
Holy shit what??? Are they insane? I mean I get that they want to earn additional money with DLCs, but even they must realise that they can't just cut a feature which was in the last games (buyable with ingame money) and put it in the store. That's just dumb from a PR point of view.

do we know for sure that it's not in game still? this could just be for people too lazy to wait to have the in game money

Gemüsepizza;87930659 said:
Holy shit what??? Are they insane? I mean I get that they want to earn additional money with DLCs, but even they must realise that they can't just cut a feature which was in the last games (buyable with ingame money) and put it in the store. That's just dumb from a PR point of view.

They are probably shortcuts and they could still available with whatever in-game currency they use, like the previous games.

do we know for sure that it's not in game still? this could just be for people too lazy to wait to have the in game money

They are probably shortcuts and they could still available with whatever in-game currency they use, like the previous games.

True, this could be possible. If they make them buyable ingame then I'm happy, although I fear they will then increase the prices for those items.

Korten

Banned
I found a report on one of the computers about a North American security company holding a presentation about 'ctOS' and its security measures - assumed it was from Watch Dogs

Ah well, I hope there's more to it than that. D: I mean that's cool and all but not very mind blowing.

Vire

Is Arthur Gies seriously the only one who reviewed this game so far?

Considering I disagree with him on nearly everything, waiting for more.

A few questions for those that could answer... even if you don't have the game.

- Is the optional objectives that destroyed AC3 still there? Listed out and marked in red when you fail?
- Is there a crouch button? Or a context sensitive crouch? (I don't mean vegetation stealth)
- is hunting lock on still? Or does it encourage free-aim?

Thanks for any answers!

actually it was Philip Kollar but Polygon is an all-around shitty site
Yea.. that was pretty lame. And I never liked the excuse of, "Everyone is different so they review differently on their own grading scale". Then there is absolutely zero point for a score and they should be removed. A 7 on your website should be the same for all games and reviewers or else it is incredibly confusing.

Kiraly

A few questions for those that could answer... even if you don't have the game.

- Is the optional objectives that destroyed AC3 still there? Listed out and marked in red when you fail?
- Is there a crouch button? Or a context sensitive crouch? (I don't mean vegetation stealth)
- is hunting lock on still? Or does it encourage free-aim?

Thanks for any answers!

- There are optional objectives, but they are given beforehand and not in red or anything like that - just neutral

- No crouch button ...

- Free aim is only possible with pistols and darts, hunting is pretty much unchanged from AC3 (?)

Korten

Banned
- There are optional objectives, but they are given beforehand and not in red or anything like that - just neutral

- No crouch button ...

- Free aim is only possible with pistols and darts, hunting is pretty much unchanged from AC3 (?)

How's the crafting? Is there a point to doing it?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
While I haven't played the previous games, even this guy seemed to suggest the ship gameplay can be fairly fun. It almost sounds like though it would have benefited from not being an AC game and maybe just a pirate offshoot or something. Let's see other reviews I guess.

Zomba13

jurtpe404ZJQL.png

:( I care about it.

Josam27o7

Neo Member
Arthur Gies said he had to review this game over 3 days. Not exactly a good environment for a review. Arthur gave ac3 an 8. It'd be hard to justify giving ac4 a lower score than ac3.

Gameinformer is going to have a different person review the game. All the other games were by Matt Miller. But he said he hasn't played the game yet.

Milennia

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/assassin-s-creed-iv-black-flag-review/1900-6415509/ 9 from gamespot
Black Flag presents a world full of adventure and opportunity, where treasures scavenged in a remote jungle can be used to turn the tide in a massive naval battle against mighty Spanish warships. It's a game where you can sail the seas for hours at a time, either hunting great white sharks or simply listening to your crew sing one infectious sea shanty after the next. There's an incredible scope to what you can do in Black Flag, with a level of harmony between its component parts that encourages you to try it all, and a story that keeps you invested throughout the whole thing. If there was ever any question that Assassin's Creed needed something ambitious to get the series back on track, Black Flag is that game and then some.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/29/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-review 8.5 from ign
The amazing world of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag has kept me gladly occupied for longer than any other game in the series, even though its story isn’t the strongest. At no point in my dozens of hours was I ever at a loss for something to do. Simply sailing wherever the wind takes me and seeing what sort of trouble I can get into is a complete joy. Beyond the underwhelming main campaign, Black Flag delivers a world brimming with gorgeous places to go, amazing secrets to discover, and nefarious pirates to stab.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-29-assassins-creed-4-black-flag-review 9 from eurogamer

If successive Assassin's Creed games have worn you down with the same ageing systems - free-running that seems to snag on every root and spur, simplistic combat built around monotonous counter-attacks and too many missions that only focus on these mechanics, usually after tailing someone while eavesdropping on their conversation - then you should know that these things are still prominent components of Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag.

You should also know, however, that while they may bog you down occasionally, they are pushed comprehensively into the background by the many other things that you spend your time doing in this open-world sequel - the sixth major instalment in this vast, annualised series of adventures about the age-old war between noble Assassins and dickhead Templars. The result is a surprising breath of fresh sea air.

http://kotaku.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-the-kotaku-review-1453735783
Like many of the characters who populate its world, Black Flag seems keen to slough off the vestiges of its ancestry and fly free. It is a significant improvement for the Assassin's Creed series, a gorgeous piece of digital entertainment that makes good on its outsized ambition with remarkable regularity. And yet here I am, still locked in that metaphorical loading screen, running forward while wondering if I'm getting anywhere at all.P
YES from kotaku

8bit

Knows the Score
Arstechnica : http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/10/assassins-creed-iv-review-enormous-but-ultimately-empty/

No score that I can see, but:

The good
•On occasion, Ubisoft still has a knack for incredibly memorable setpieces.
•Glitching and bugs are at a minimum for a game of this size and scopery.
The Bad
•Combat, both at land and sea, is quickly reduced to terribly simple maneuvers.
•Enemy AI is dumber than a pegleg.
•Endless fetch quests make this feel more like Banjo-Creedie than Assassin's Wind Waker .
The Ugly
•So many multiplayer microtransactions in a $60 retail game seems a bit too much.

Milennia

I really like the kotaku review, it looks back on the setting of games like monkey island etc.
And explains how well they nailed the setting in this one.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Nice to see that Ubisoft didn't give us the same embargo as the rest of the world. For a French company, that's awesome...

Quentyn

Videogamer - 7

There's only so many times, however, that you can tolerate the poorly-defined stealth and terrible AI. Eavesdropping returns, and is as poor as before, and most missions devolve into 'follow the man, kill the man' repetition. Your adversaries are also too dumb to notice you most of time (you can still pull four guards into the same haystack), mitigating the thrill.

I think I will skip this time.

Rolfgang

How's the crafting? Is there a point to doing it?

Yes, you can craft holsters for your pistols, bigger bags for bullets and smoke bombs, different outfits (that look totally different, not just a new color) and darts. They really put the crafting system from FC3 to good use here.

Top Bottom