• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Nice to see that Ubisoft didn't give us the same embargo as the rest of the world. For a French company, that's awesome...
Did you get the 10:00 embargo? I had it too, but they wrote me (italy) last night telling it was an error due to daylight saving change, and that the real embargo was 9:00.

Why are these reviews getting me hyped

Haven't I learned by now that I think this franchise is crap, and that I think it's grossly overrated by critics

Deimo5

Will have my hands on this in less than 24 hours so nice to see things seem pretty positive.
Interesting to note that the IGN scores are equal for III and IV but the reviewer says he thinks IV is better. This is because it was a different person who reviewed III.

The reviews seems pretty positive overall on AC4. Even Gies review didn't seem that negative. He just wanted something more than the game provided and I can understand that. He thoughts about how the main character had
no real connection to neither the assassins or Templars throughout most of the game
was something already mentioned by the director of the game. Overall, I never go into a AC game looking for the most cohesive story ever. I know it will have its flaws ( i really hate the stealthy portions :/ ) but I just love roaming the worlds Ubisoft creates and finally getting to roam the open seas.

AdamMPSP

Very happy to see these positive reviews. It's my primary PS4 Launch game now, so even if it can't fully justify a new console purchase on its own, excited that it'll at least be a fun AC romp.

Elios83

I'm happy for the good scores, hopefully they're grounded in reality after AC3.
PS4 version will be reviewed today as well?

Korten

Banned
Yes, you can craft holsters for your pistols, bigger bags for bullets and smoke bombs, different outfits (that look totally different, not just a new color) and darts. They really put the crafting system from FC3 to good use here.

That's good to hear. I felt like in AC3 there was no point really to it. :/

Sounds like they did some minor bandaid fixes but otherwise it's ac3 with more boating.

Will wait for the bargain bin , first ac game I don't buy day 1.

Question for those who are already playing the game - does the wind affect sailing, at least during the combat sections? It'd suck if it wasn't the case, and it seems it is, according to Eurogamer review (comment under the first video in their review). I really liked battling the wind in 3 :/

"A clear step backwards to the previous AC"

GamersGlobal.de 8.0.

Here, at the bottom of the page, you can see a comparision between PS3 and PS4:
http://www.gamersglobal.de/test/assassins-creed-4?page=0,3

I wonder if people are going to say the PS3 version looks better because the image in the PS4 version looks softer in those screenshots (as in BF4 comparisons). That being said, HD port of current gen it certainly is. Still looks nice enough on next gen though, although poor aliasing and 30 fps are not impressive.

Sean*O

Something seems to be up with the PS4 video output, the screen shot at the bottom of that page is looking washed out like they didn't set it correctly.

Yuripaw

Banned
Did no one buy the Wii U version at midnight tonight? I feel like I can't even find someone unboxing the Wii U version. That came out tonight too, right? I am curious to hear how it performs.

edit: i know it's not on eshop, but I mean at some gamestop midnight launch or something.

Rolfgang

Question for those who are already playing the game - does the wind affect sailing, at least during the combat sections? It'd suck if it wasn't the case, and it seems it is, according to Eurogamer review (comment under the first video in their review). I really liked battling the wind in 3 :/

Yes, if you sail against the wind, you go notably slower compared to sailing with the wind in your back. And using the different speed options and wind is really useful for actively dodging ships that want to ram you and then throw two flaming barrels in their face.

EDarkness

Did no one buy the Wii U version at midnight tonight? I feel like I can't even find someone unboxing the Wii U version. That came out tonight too, right? I am curious to hear how it performs.

edit: i know it's not on eshop, but I mean at some gamestop midnight launch or something.

I preordered the Wii U version, but I can't play it until next week. :(

fernoca

Getting mine from Amazon by the end of the week hopefully.

No Wii U impressions is not surprising...yet disappointing.

Rolfgang

Also, what I also like about the wind and sea whilst sailing, is that it changes the direction where you are sailing sometimes. Waves can move your ship a bit and when you sail against the wind, you feel that your ship 'bounces' of the wind, as if you hold two batteries against each other with both positive or negative ends.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
My impressions after 8 hours (got the flu, so couldn't play the game to completion in time...) are up, along with videos from the first hour of the game:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_our_videos_of_ac_iv_black_flag-14778_en.html

I really enjoyed what I played, even though I think they want to the other extreme when it comes to Edward's characterization, after 8 hours of playing I basically know nothing about that guy, compared to Ezio or Connor where we had hours of background for the characters. I guess it's better this way, but a middle ground would be nice ;)
360 version doesn't look bad at all, I was expecting way worse considering we had seen nothing so far...

issaco

Neo Member
Frequent messages about ubisoft server being down even though I am in single player then it crashes when trying to save (in havana) probably due to uplay connectivity issues at the moment.

Fun introduction and smoother frame rate than I expected.

misterF

Neo Member
Videogamer.com said:
Eavesdropping returns, and is as poor as before, and most missions devolve into 'follow the man, kill the man' repetition.

The above quote from the videogamer.com review has severely lowered my expectations. Skipped on Assassin's Creed 3 because I got tired of the repetitive mission structure after playing II, Brotherhood and Revelations. Will wait for peoples' impressions before making a decision but the initial hype I had when seeing the new setting and the open sea is gone.

I'm sure the open world nature of the game makes it difficult for them to create non linear or at least less restrictive missions but there has been so little progress in this department between the sequels that I'm probably going to take a break from this franchise until there's a substantial leap forward. To be fair to the devs, this is a "crossgen" game so the next title may replicate what Assassin's Creed II did for the first one.

Yes, if you sail against the wind, you go notably slower compared to sailing with the wind in your back. And using the different speed options and wind is really useful for actively dodging ships that want to ram you and then throw two flaming barrels in their face.
Nice to hear that, thanks!

- There are optional objectives, but they are given beforehand and not in red or anything like that - just neutral

- No crouch button ...

- Free aim is only possible with pistols and darts, hunting is pretty much unchanged from AC3 (?)

Thanks for answering!

Nice. Seems like they fixed the optional objectives a bit... hated them always being there and then "red-ing" out when you didn't do something perfect.

Kiraly

Videogamer.com said:
Eavesdropping returns, and is as poor as before, and most missions devolve into 'follow the man, kill the man' repetition.

The above quote from the videogamer.com review has severely lowered my expectations. Skipped on Assassin's Creed 3 because I got tired of the repetitive mission structure after playing II, Brotherhood and Revelations. Will wait for peoples' impressions before making a decision but the initial hype I had when seeing the new setting and the open sea is gone.

This quote is sadly very true. The sea missions change it up a bit, but it is hard to miss this glaring problem the game (the series?) has.

dreamfall

- There are optional objectives, but they are given beforehand and not in red or anything like that - just neutral

Thank GOODNESS!

Nothing like disregarding an objective, just to see "FAILED" in giant red letters screaming at you for not playing the game how the devs envisioned!

This makes me so happy!

I'm hyped! Will play on the PS4 launch!

Ricker

Fuck,do I rent this today or wait for the PS4 version...don't really feel like buying it and paying an extra 10 bucks for the PS4 version...and it's just like 2 weeks away,think I will wait and read impressions and (hopefully)spoiler free stuff till then hehe...

Bollocks

Fuck,do I rent this today or wait for the PS4 version...don't really feel like buying it and paying an extra 10 bucks for the PS4 version...and it's just like 2 weeks away,think I will wait and read impressions and (hopefully)spoiler free stuff till then hehe...

Yeah me too.
Despite the hate of annual releases I still love AC, played all of them and I'm really torn if I should buy it on PS3 or wait for the PS4 version.
Originally I thought I'll wait but damn it's harder than I thought

Effect

My Wii U copy should be delivered today (Used the last bit of amazon credit and promos I had to reduced the price of the game and shipping. Only reason I'm getting it so soon from them otherwise I'd be getting later in the week or next.) If there is still nothing I'll at least try to post some screen shots uploaded from the system itself.

It is beyond annoying that the various digital stores don't have trailers made up of footage from that particular console version. Might as well put up a pure CG trailer at that point because it's of no help.

Definitely not up on wii u eshop yet.

The page is there though, and says one player. Does the wii u version have the multiplayer?

It should be getting everything else that should be in all the other versions. The issue is the DLC that isn't coming. However that seems to be about post-release DLC and not preorder DLC. So it's unclear if you can buy the pre-order DLC that different stores had at some point. My Amazon copy was suppose to come with one. I re-read that section over and over again to in order to make sure.

Kiraly

What an absolute piece of shit ending, wow.

No concrete spoilers below, just in general (and some guesswork at the direction of the series):

Where to even begin?

The present day story does NOT advance at ANYTHING at all.

Kenway's story ends ABRUPTLY, and full of holes and questions. Next year's title will surely be set in England.

What a fucking disappointment, Ubisoft. The first point pains me the most.

misterF

Neo Member
This quote is sadly very true. The sea missions change it up a bit, but it is hard to miss this glaring problem the game (the series?) has.

Thanks for the information! I hope Ubisoft take their time with the next one, it would be a shame if they manage to burn people out before a sequel that evolves the gameplay comes out.

Off topic but your avatar reminds me of an old version of Football Manager or Championship Manager where Kiraly was a great bargain signing!

Lakitu

st5fu

No concrete spoilers below, just in general (and some guesswork at the direction of the series):

Where to even begin?

Kenway's story ends ABRUPTLY, and full of holes and questions. Next year's title will surely be set in England.

Victorian London? I'm in!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I guess it's a good thing I absolutely hate AC's mythology.
I never liked any of the modern day riff raff and would have prefered just period pieces. I'm glad to see that stuff is minimal/downplayed

Can someone help me with the PC system requirements? I ran AC3 on this laptop perfectly at 1080p/high, but Systemrequirementslab is telling me my CPU isn't capable for Black Flag and I don't even meet minimum specs because of it. I have a haswell i7-4702MQ 2.2ghz with 3.2 turbo boost.

How the fuck is that worse than a core2quad from 2009?

Rolfgang

Can someone help me with the PC system requirements? I ran AC3 on this laptop perfectly at 1080p/high, but Systemrequirementslab is telling me my CPU isn't capable for Black Flag and I don't even meet minimum specs because of it. I have a haswell i7-4702MQ 2.2ghz with 3.2 turbo boost.

System Requirements Lab is absolute crap, they're almost always wrong with 'recommending' the right specs.

Where to even begin?

Wow that sucks.
I think Ubisoft doesn't get it, they think people hate the modern parts because they take place in modern times, when in reality people hated them because they were boring and just badly done. That's probably why they reduced those parts massively, smh.

Gaz_RB

My laptop ran AC3 just as well, and I just tried the CYRI thing and it told me the same thing that it told you. I think it goes simply on base Ghz and doesn't factor in turbo boost. I think we'll be fine.

But BF4 runs just fine on mine so idk

Top Bottom