• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

Monocle

NullPointer said:
His heart just wasn't in it. When I saved his life he didn't immediately swear it over to me without reservation. Instead he muttered 'I like what you have to say, maybe I could fight with you? Or subscribe to your newsletter maybe?'. I should've seen it coming.

But at least it led to some great open world moments last night:

With my guild now back to a full strength of six, I headed to clear a Borgia tower standing smack dab between my current haunt and my next memory. I closed in on the fortified tower, etching a jagged trail of dead guards across the rooftops towards my target - the Borgia leader. Luckily he wasn't ensconced in some inner chamber surrounded by pole-armed and plated soldiers - instead, this guy had some swagger and liked to patrol around the camp with his personal guard. Unlucky for me I got spotted early on and had to drop a smoke bomb and skedaddle when his legions of defenders surrounded me.

Now get this: Where a Commander would usually take this fine opportunity to cut and run and render my plans moot, THIS guy just fluffs his cape back and takes the lead in hunting me down. He runs after me with about a dozen soldiers and I'm halfway across Rome before I lose them from a high leap to a hay pile. But the whole chase perked up a devious morsel of a thought: I just lured this guy out of his protected walls!

So I climb my way back to the rooftops and lo and behold, there he is, down the street, alone, slowly making his way back to his fort. In only a few seconds he's got a flying leap propelled hidden blade pinning his throat to the dirt.

Feeling like Death himself, I make my way through the streets back towards the leaderless fort. Along the way, soldiers stop and stare, drop their weapons, recant their allegiance and run for the hills. Yes. Yessssss.

It wasn't until I got up to the bigger soldiers guarding the main overlook that I ran into some fighting spirit. But by then my choice had been made: All of the guards needed to die. Every last one of them. For the next 10 minutes, me and my six guild assassins left a hamlet sized swath of bloodlust and massacre, capped off with fire and explosions as the Borgia tower was reclaimed.

I decided then and there that I would stay with my full notoriety, only taking to walking amongst the crowds when necessary. What better way to practice my stealth?

This right here is what I crave in open world games. The ability to set your own agenda, and to accomplish your own plans. To wed your own mood and desires with the gameplay into a spontaneous narrative that actually gives your avatar some history and yet also drives the story forward by your own momentum.

In this respect the AC games have always done a great job. Love it.
That's it, I'm buying this game ASAP. Hope I can find it for under $50.

Phenomic

Monocle said:
That's it, I'm buying this game ASAP. Hope I can find it for under $50.

Kmart is open on Thanksgiving Day and has a sale for Brotherhood of 39.99 on that Thursday. If you are in luck you will find a copy with ease. If not or if you don't have a local store hopefully Amazon will be price matching. Even though after beating it I'd still tell you the whole series is well worth over the MSRP.

Bebpo

Banned
matrix-cat said:
Did you play AC2 on the PS3? That game literally gave me headaches from the constant tearing. I'm surprised at all the complaints about performance in this thread because Brotherhood might as well have zero tearing in comparison to 2. The framerate is still definitely a problem but I found it manageable.

I'll definitely be eBaying my PS3 version for a PC copy the moment it becomes available, just like I did with AC2 and 1, but I've been pleasantly surprised with Brotherhood so far.

Nah, this is my first AC on PS3. I didn't have the patience to wait for the "still no release window" PC version.

When I'm outside the main city, like in the tombs or the fields or the beginning in the villa the game runs fine. It's a little less sharp than the X360/PC versions of AC2 and a bit more tearing, but it's just as enjoyable. But man, the city is just a bust. Would've rather they dropped the actual visual quality (resolution/textures/LoD) and maintain 30fps than what's in the final.

I just finished Sequence 2 and I'm not sure how I feel about the game so far. It's a good game, but it feels so similar to what I just did less than a year ago in AC2. If the games weren't so big and time consuming if you collect most everything, I think there'd be less feeling of fatigue; but at like 15% completion after 5 hours or so, I'm already thinking I just want to get the game done with because it doesn't feel fresh or exciting anymore. In AC2 I explored around and did everything, but depending on how the rest of the AC B new features are I might just do the main story + viewpoints in AC B and call it a day. In the first few hours I felt like 1 game a year wasn't a problem since the games are great, but now I'm thinking it definitely is a problem and the series is going to get stale fast like the Yakuza franchise.

I'm also not a big fan of the new direction of the game. AC2 was a total relaxing game to play at your own pace. It was incredibly easy and just nice to climb around and take in the scenery and do little missions here and there and collect things. So far in AC B it's been the exact opposite, it's felt constricting and punishing. I'll want to climb a viewpoint to clear up the map where I am in the story and I'll run to the viewpoint and right before I get there it'll tell me that area isn't available in the sequence. Or I'll want to buy some property where I am and it's locked and I go to the Borgia tower that unlocks it and it's not available in the sequence. And then the Borgia towers themselves just make viewpoints feel like more work than nice relaxing climbs of historic locations. Also not enjoying Rome as much as Florence or Venice. The city portion seems more cramped and with so much in such a small amount land I'm not the feeling distinct character that each section of those two AC2 cities had. Everything just seems like CITY/FIELDS/RUINS/etc... instead of "art area of the city" "social area" "political area" etc...

Sai

I certainly did miss Venice...

Also, gotta say I was disappointed that the Assassin recruits, once they actually reach the rank of Assassin, were left with outfits that were almost identical to Ezio's default Assassin robes. In the debut trailer and earlier screenshots, they all had original outfits...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Anyone know how to use the parachute? I just found out that I don't have a trophy for this yet.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
ULTROS! said:
Anyone know how to use the parachute? I just found out that I don't have a trophy for this yet.
(Hold?) X/Square after jumping from a high building.

Sai

Press □ when jumping from a high point.

Make sure you actually have parachutes in your inventory though... Encountered some kind of glitch where I somehow lost all of my parachutes when going to another sequence, and this just happened to be at the point where I attempted to get the Achievement you're talking about.

I'm sure you guys can imagine my frustration as I nearly broke the X button, rapidly tapping it as I fell to my death... >_>

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Phenomic said:
Not sure if it's the same part remixed from that song but if you skip to 1 minute in that video it sort of sounds like that. Not exactly I would say but it's the closest thing anyone has found thus far. I really don't think it's hit the internet yet and I'm still shocked no one knows what I'm talking about. Usually GAF is pretty much like right on top of it. Given I have a terrible description of what it sounds like.

Also is it worth getting the % I need for the final Cristina mission I'm about 20% or so away from it.

Home in Florence?

Ezio's Family?

fernoca

Yeah, the same thing with the parachutes happened to me; multiple times. Might have to check again later today, but lets say I buy 15 of them; then I turn off the game, return and I don't have the parachutes.

Ledsen

GDJustin said:
Is the game worth it if I'm interested SOLELY in the single player?
It's a full-featured, in all ways improved 15-25 hour sequel to the second game, that just happens to also have a multiplayer mode. So in short, yes.

squicken

HELP! Regarding the ending of The Truth

I finished all the puzzles and talked to the glowing guy. It kicked me back to modern day where I could talk to Lucy and the Gang. The only problem was Desmond was locked in the geometry and I couldn't initiate any conversations. A checkpoint hit, so quitting and restarting did no good.

Obviously I was supposed to be able to converse with them regarding the video. But now, having reloaded, it's just as if The Truth never happened. Can someone summarize what Desmond and Lucy and the rest talked about? I haven't finished the game. I just want to know what they said when you talked to them?

Blueblur1

As someone who's enjoying AC2 right not and skimming this thread, I'm totally compelled to pick up Brotherhood now when I was going to ignore it. :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Multiplayer trophies are frustrating to get.

Maybe GAF should have an online meet-up or something.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mont Saint Michel DLC images
image_assassin_s_creed_brotherhood_-14168-2033_0001.jpg

image_assassin_s_creed_brotherhood_-14168-2033_0002.jpg

Jb

They managed to make it look incredibly dull. Bravo. Also, they really couldn't find another cool location in Italy? :/
Edit: oh wait it's just a MP map.

Killthee

Blimblim said:
Mont Saint Michel DLC images
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_assassin_s_creed_brotherhood_-14168-2033_0001.jpg[/Mg]
[IMg]http://images.gamersyde.com/image_assassin_s_creed_brotherhood_-14168-2033_0002.jpg[IMg][/QUOTE]
Fucking awesome, I was not expecting MP DLC this quick and for free :D

squicken said:
HELP! Regarding the ending of The Truth

I finished all the puzzles and talked to the glowing guy. It kicked me back to modern day where I could talk to Lucy and the Gang. The only problem was Desmond was locked in the geometry and I couldn't initiate any conversations. A checkpoint hit, so quitting and restarting did no good.

Obviously I was supposed to be able to converse with them regarding the video. But now, having reloaded, it's just as if The Truth never happened. Can someone summarize what Desmond and Lucy and the rest talked about? I haven't finished the game. I just want to know what they said when you talked to them?

The *exact* same thing happened to me. I didn't want to risk quitting out since it's possible to run into the game locking bug from there. I'm guessing they didn't have anything super important to say, but since
Lucy was there!
I too was wondering if I missed something.

Killthee

jett said:
Free DLC?
SAN FRANCISCO- November 24, 2010 – Ubisoft announced today that the Animus Project Update 1.0 downloadable content (DLC) for Assassin’s Creed® Brotherhood for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system will be available for download on December 14th, 2010 on XBOX LIVE® and PlayStation®Network. The DLC will be made available for free.

The Animus Project Update 1.0 will include a brand-new game mode and brand new map for Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood Multiplayer. The game mode, Advanced Alliance, will take the original Alliance Mode with target identification and engagement more difficult, thus providing a more challenging experience for players. With three teams of two players each, Advanced Alliance is a tougher test for players and rewards teams that use stealth techniques to hunt their targets.

Located on a rocky tidal island of Normandy in France, the new map, Mont Saint-Michel, offers breathtaking scenery sure to enchant all. Its particular topography of narrow streets, high-perched bell tower and multi-leveled architecture is perfect for hunters to surge from out of nowhere to execute their prey. To survive, recruits will need to use free-running and narrow roads to their advantage.

“We are very thrilled to be able to offer the first Multiplayer DLC for Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood for absolutely free,” said Sebastien Puel, executive producer, Ubisoft Montreal. “We wanted to say thank you to our fans for making Brotherhood such a huge success its opening week. We are very proud of the unique and innovative Multiplayer mode it offers, and hope the fans enjoy the new content.”

For updates on Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, please visit the game’s official Web site at www.assassinscreed.com, via Twitter @AssassinsCreed and Facebook at facebook.com/assassinscreed.

http://assassinscreed.us.ubi.com/brotherhood/news/12401.html

Thinking about picking this up after reading positive impressions of multiplayer, but a few questions:

How's the online community for this game? Are there people playing on 360? easy to find games quickly? I don't really know about the modes, but is there anything resembling a party system where you could party up with a buddy or two and jump into public lobbies?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
MrCompletely said:
Thinking about picking this up after reading positive impressions of multiplayer, but a few questions:

How's the online community for this game? Are there people playing on 360? easy to find games quickly? I don't really know about the modes, but is there anything resembling a party system where you could party up with a buddy or two and jump into public lobbies?

It looks like the community is good, but matchmaking is a mess right now. Don't be surprised if it takes you 10 mins or more to find a match. Sometimes I've been lucky and was placed fairly quickly, but other times I just gave up for a little while. Apparently Ubi is aware of the problem and are working on it.

Edit: Also according to some anecdotal rumblings on the Ubi forums, there are issues if you try to join with a party. You may wind up together, or you may not.

aristotle

Isn't there also a glitch that if you start MP you may lose the ability to unlock trophies in SP? I don't know from experience since I've only played SP so far.

jett

D-Member
To be honest the couple of times I've tried MP I haven't really had any matchmaking problems, it's been kinda fun but I'd rather be spending my time getting 100% fullsync in SP. :p

...there better be something after you reach 100%!

just completed the second christina mission, & there's nothing quite like
walking off the end of the dock while carrying your dad's corpse :( ...

JdFoX187

Banned
Just tried out MP earlier today, and was surprised by how fun it was. Really didn't know what I was doing, but it at least required more thought than the brainless CoD or Halo.

NIN90

semiconscious said:

Am I a bad person because I had to laugh when that happenend to me? :(
That was just a priceless moment.

semiconscious said:

I got spotted while doing that section while
carrying my little brother on the dock and one of the guards hit me in the back and the body dropped into the water :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Phenomic said:
Kmart is open on Thanksgiving Day and has a sale for Brotherhood of 39.99 on that Thursday. If you are in luck you will find a copy with ease. If not or if you don't have a local store hopefully Amazon will be price matching. Even though after beating it I'd still tell you the whole series is well worth over the MSRP.

and walmart is price matching

There really needs to be a start from checkpoint option when replaying memories.

Some of the sections can be pretty long and can be frustrating to fail a condition right at the end and have to replay the entire memory.

Monocle

Phenomic said:
Thanks for the tip! There are a couple Kmart locations I can check tomorrow. It would be nice if it were an online sale as well. Like you said, Amazon might price match. Here's hoping.

I completely agree with you about the AC series, BTW. I actually repurchased AC2 several weeks ago because regretted trading it in.

Edit:
LiK said:
Just got a tweet from CAG that it's $40 on Amazon...
Not yet it's not. But then, today is Wednesday.

Slash that price Amazon! You know you want to. I'll give you my monies...

Edit 2: This thread has been updated with info on the sale. Looks like it's happening tomorrow after all. Nice.

Blueblur1

Seeing as how Amazon is gonna have a sweet deal for Brotherhood, I'm unsure as to which which version I should get. From checking the OP, it looks like the collector's edition has some extra stuff but is there a difference between the vanilla 360 and PS3 versions content wise? Doesn't look like but I could be wrong.

Killthee

Blueblur1 said:
Seeing as how Amazon is gonna have a sweet deal for Brotherhood, I'm unsure as to which which version I should get. From checking the OP, it looks like the collector's edition has some extra stuff but is there a difference between the vanilla 360 and PS3 versions content wise? Doesn't look like but I could be wrong.
PS3 version has free exclusive DLC side missions, but everybody has said it's nothing substantial. Performance wise 360 version looks and runs better.

Gileadxv

Banned
Brotherhood has definitely been one of the more pleasant surprises of my gaming year. It's one of those rare games where I'm not feeling pressed to finish the "main story". The absurd amount of side missions do a great job of still feeling like a part of the overall narrative.

Top Bottom