• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood |OT| where my bro's at?

1stStrike

Banned
I was kind of iffy on this, but amazon's $39.99 deal forced my hand - so I've got my PS3 copy on the way now. Looking forward to stabbing you all in the back :D

JodyAnthony said:
I love this series.
It's weird, ACII made me do a a complete 180 on the series after AC left me cold. Brotherhood has made me love it even more...even more that I'm actually thinking about buying a new copy of the first AC to play it again.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think I might get this tomorrow if I can find a copy.

I waited on AC1 & AC2 but ended up loving both so I might as well pick this one up.

is it good

DrBo42 said:
I wish the Borgia could randomly reclaim towers after you complete the game. I kinda miss them.

That would be awesome but then wouldn't you have to buy all your shops again?

Unless it was a random event where they 'tried' to reclaim the tower :D

DrBo42

DualShadow said:
That would be awesome but then wouldn't you have to buy all your shops again?

Unless it was a random event where they 'tried' to reclaim the tower :D
I haven't fully thought it through but I was SOMETHING would happen after the game ends. :lol Huge reductions of enemy presence in an already easy game just isn't a smart move.

DrBo42 said:
I haven't fully thought it through but I was SOMETHING would happen after the game ends. :lol Huge reductions of enemy presence in an already easy game just isn't a smart move.

Yeah I agree but it wouldn't make a lot of sense story wise to have large population of Borgia troops running around. Really there probably shouldn't be any at all but that would be even worse :lol

DrBo42

Yeah, that's definitely a fair point. The big thing for me though is by the end of the game you have this huge group of master assassins that are just waiting to engage in some epic shit, but there's really nothing to do with them. It's sad.

DrBo42 said:
Yeah, that's definitely a fair point. The big thing for me though is by the end of the game you have this huge group of master assassins that are just waiting to engage in some epic shit, but there's really nothing to do with them. It's sad.

Unless you replay memories where there is alot of fighting there isn't much for the recruits to do.

Do the contracts ever run out? Or do they just keep randomly generating?

Because at the moment I'm just sending out all my assassins to do contracts but there isn't much point besides cleaning up the ones for the Facebook game.

Einbroch said:
Well, I bit for $40. How's the online on the PS3? Healthy number of players and stable?

The matchmaking is pretty terrible on both systems but It's been working better recently. But once youre in-game the game is usually buttery smooth. Plenty of players. If you want you can add me (PSN: KILLTHEM16)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
My full review is now in the GAF User Reviews thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24589843&postcount=403

Overall, I really liked it, but I don't think its better than AC2. You don't have as much city in the game and the game sacrifices the number of key story missions for lots and lots and lots of sidequests. It's honestly a bit overwhelming, and I am less inclined to 100% everything like I did in AC2. Decided to stop at around 82% synchronization or so.

I'm confused, how many people do you need for a game of wanted?

I was sitting in a lobby that was 6/6 then went to 7/7 and nothing happened :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
DualShadow said:
I'm confused, how many people do you need for a game of wanted?

I was sitting in a lobby that was 6/6 then went to 7/7 and nothing happened :lol

Minimum of 6. Maximum of 8. It'll try to max out but will eventually just go if you have 6 or 7.

Amir0x

Banned
welp i'm officially addicted to the multiplayer. It has so many problems but it's scratching some sort of itch I never knew I had, filling a void that is kinda neat. I mean, it's definitely BETA CLASS material but it's kinda sweet once you have a flow going. I spent about 8 hours on it tonight, which says something.

There's some awkwardness with stun-kill priority, some weird glitching with smoke bombs, some really bizarre scoring idiosyncrasies, but it's a good foundation.

They need to add an INFILTRATION mode. 5v5, defenders have a huge castle with multiple possible entry routes. Attackers have to sneak in and stay hidden; the longer you stay hidden inside the "infiltration zone" the more points you get.

Ether_Snake said:
Yes it is normal. It's a stupid post effect that makes a sort of bloom in the top part of the screen.
infinityBCRT said:
I actually like that effect, its not that pronounced as you put it, but I think its not too dissimilar to trying to look in the distance while theres blinding sunlight out.
The effect wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't on 80% of the time I'm playing (not during night though - I love night...) and if it didn't look like such a bad overlay (looks sort of pixelated). Also, the effect is lost when you are able to look at the ground with the top half of the screen still whited out.

That plus the screen tearing/framerate/popin really puts an ugly stamp ontop of such a beautiful game. It's like rubbing shit over top a Da Vinci painting.

I hope they put out a patch that would at least give me an option to disable it. And if it IS a design choice, that person that suggested should be demoted/fired. That has to be the most amateur effect I've seen in a game since the lens flare (at least the lens flare is clean and consistent).

KdoubleA

Amir0x said:
welp i'm officially addicted to the multiplayer. It has so many problems but it's scratching some sort of itch I never knew I had, filling a void that is kinda neat. I mean, it's definitely BETA CLASS material but it's kinda sweet once you have a flow going. I spent about 8 hours on it tonight, which says something.

There's some awkwardness with stun-kill priority, some weird glitching with smoke bombs, some really bizarre scoring idiosyncrasies, but it's a good foundation.

They need to add an INFILTRATION mode. 5v5, defenders have a huge castle with multiple possible entry routes. Attackers have to sneak in and stay hidden; the longer you stay hidden inside the "infiltration zone" the more points you get.

I agree 100%. It's a very promising foundation, indeed. That itch you're talking about hadn't been scratched for me since Splinter Cell's Spies vs Mercs. I'm so happy Ubi came up with a similar MP experience for a broader community.

DualShadow said:
Okay Multi player is fucking awesome :D

Just improve the match making please.

The MP server has gone down (and still is) several times since last night. Hopefully, they're doing some fixing...but I'm sure that won't be the case :(

KdoubleA said:
I agree 100%. It's a very promising foundation, indeed. That itch you're talking about hadn't been scratched for me since Splinter Cell's Spies vs Mercs. I'm so happy Ubi came up with a similar MP experience for a broader community.

The MP server has gone down (and still is) several times since last night. Hopefully, they're doing some fixing...but I'm sure that won't be the case :(

Im playing MP right now :D

Dreavus

Amir0x said:

Something like this needs to be considered for the next game. Hell even if it was some crazy DLC I'd go for it.

KdoubleA

DualShadow said:
Im playing MP right now :D

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna go play me some Wanted until I pass out lol (I've already spent all night playing Manhunt with friends...but I'm bored and can't sleep, so it's down to either browsing GAF or UH UH UH UH stab some dudes in da face :lol)

Is there something up with the dashboard box art on the 360 version? I'm just getting a generic Xbox logo.

Also,
Arrow Storm
FTW.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Amir0x said:

I might jump in with you sometime for some MP action. I'm a proper n00b at it though, are there any good guides out there, video tips or articles or even forum threads discussing it? ATM it seems quite shallow to me and its just kill, die, kill die etc

Sai

Dr Zhivago said:
Is there something up with the dashboard box art on the 360 version? I'm just getting a generic Xbox logo.
Same here! Thought it was just me...

Also,
Arrow Storm
FTW.
One of those last few assassination contracts, with
all the Brutes on the bridge
, seemed to be made with that in mind.

When I first saw them all, I was like "in fifteen seconds?... How?!" Then I remembered my recruits and it was over instantly. :lol

Ledsen

That fucking aqueduct! I can't get up on it no matter what, and it's so god damn huge and frustrating to ride along for like 5 minutes without results... is there a map that shows places where you can climb it?

Jb

Ledsen said:
That fucking aqueduct! I can't get up on it no matter what, and it's so god damn huge and frustrating to ride along for like 5 minutes without results... is there a map that shows places where you can climb it?
If that's the one I'm thinking of, you need to repair it first.

jett

D-Member
Ledsen said:

First up, fix the aqueduct, second the only way to climb it is to find a house or something nearby to jump off and on top of it.

Ledsen

jett said:
First up, fix the aqueduct, second the only way to climb it is to find a house or something nearby to jump off and on top of it.

I've fixed it in a few places, but there's like 8 of them and the aqueduct basically covers the entire right side of the map :/. Also, I haven't even once found a house tall enough to get me up there since there seem to be no handholds at all to climb it.

jett

D-Member
Ledsen said:
I've fixed it in a few places, but there's like 8 of them and the aqueduct basically covers the entire right side of the map :/. Also, I haven't even once found a house tall enough to get me up there since there seem to be no handholds at all to climb it.

I've climbed it, somewhere along the map it's possible. Why do you want to climb it so bad? There's nothing there, other than the occasional feather or treasure chest.

Ledsen

jett said:
I've climbed it, somewhere along the map it's possible. Why do you want to climb it so bad? There's nothing there, other than the occasional feather or treasure chest.

Well... those are what I want :p There are also some flags and more importantly, viewpoints. I know I've seen an actual ladder somewhere but I can't remember, and it was behind the white wall of death.

jett

D-Member
Ledsen said:
Well... those are what I want :p There are also some flags and more importantly, viewpoints. I know I've seen an actual ladder somewhere but I can't remember, and it was behind the white wall of death.

You're gonna have to wait until you've cleared enough of the game to access it then!

Ledsen

Okay, so I feel like making a few comments having a huge rant about some of the things that I feel are bad or just straight up bullshit with this game. I've played for about 20 hours, just cleared sequence 6, love the game but there are a few things that start to wear on you after that long. So let's see:

- The white wall of death. This is an idea that could work, but it doesn't. There's no indication of where the wall is, resulting in me spending far too long riding towards something only to be met by the white wall 10 m from my goal. This is pretty much bullshit. This is compounded by the fact that collectibles beyond the wall are still visible on the map, and some collectibles are even located where I could technically access them but can't because the ladder to get to the roof or whatever is beyond the wall. This is also bullshit.

Fix: Put a clear boundary on the map so I can tell where I can go and where I can't at all times. Make collectibles not show up on the map unless I can get to them at the point I'm at in the game.

- The controls. Ezio frequently jumps the wrong way, runs up the wrong wall, jumps where he should climb, etc, resulting in me falling of roofs or failing missions because I was too slow or because I fell behind the person I was supposed to follow. He also has no idea where I want to jump a lot of the time. The worst offender is when you want to jump down from a series of roofs which are stacked kind of like a stairway. If you jump from the "top step" so to speak, Ezio will always, ALWAYS jump past the other "steps" and land on the street below, losing health of dying. Ezio is also apparently the clumsiest motherfucker in Italy, as a any slight nudge while running will make him stumble and fall, not being able to get up for several seconds despite supposedly being one of the worlds most agile and deadly assassins. Doing the running challenges in the virtual desktop helped me understand the controls better, but they're still very unintuitive (How do I get down from this roof? Should I jump? Should I hold R and hope Ezio decides he can hop down? Should I climb down slowly?)

Fix: Make Ezio more "sticky" so that he will, if possible, jump to the nearest climbable surface as long as my stick is pointed in the general direction of that surface. Of course, a system like this is already in place, but it frequently fails and causes much frustration (see above). Also make him automatically push people out of the way when in "high profile" mode instead of this stumbling crap. Simplify the controls to make traversal easier overall, especially when you're trying to get down from somewhere.

- The mission design. Far too many missions are simply "go to these 5 inconviniently separated locations and kill guys/steal something/tear down a poster" etc. There are already soooo many missions in this game that you didn't need to put in time wasters like these. The missions where you have to stay within a certain distance of someone are also way too harsh with the fail conditions. You get the warning message, and before you even have time to start running in the right direction, you're desynchronized. This is made worse by the clumsy controls (see above).

Fix: Make fewer, better designed missions. Skip the ones that don't amount to anything more than running from place to place, pressing a button at each location (the poster-ripping Templar mission I just did was one of the worst offenders so far). Also make fail conditions less strict overall. The fail timer in some "follow" type missions is good, put one of those in all missions instead of the frustrating "de-synchronization imminent" stuff. Make more missions like the Borgia Towers or Leonardo's Weapons.

Phew. That felt GOOD. I'm sure I can think of more things, but these are the ones that have stood out to me as being really annoying after many, many hours of play.

Coldsnap

NinjaFridge said:
God the controls need an overhaul, Ezio controls like a toilet brush.

Why a toilet brush? I agree though every time I get a assasins creed game the first 30mins is spent jumping in wrong directions, tripping over people, and getting stabbed. When it clicks though there is no problem.

Maffis

Ledsen said:
- The mission design. Far too many missions are simply "go to these 5 inconviniently separated locations and kill guys/steal something/tear down a poster" etc. There are already soooo many missions in this game that you didn't need to put in time wasters like these. The missions where you have to stay within a certain distance of someone are also way too harsh with the fail conditions. You get the warning message, and before you even have time to start running in the right direction, you're desynchronized. This is made worse by the clumsy controls (see above).

That is dissapointing. AC2 became just like this in the middle part which was a huge turn off. And people say AC2 was a huge improvement over AC1. I can't even imagine how horribly repetitive that game must've been.

Ledsen

Maffis said:
That is dissapointing. AC2 became just like this in the middle part which was a huge turn off. And people say AC2 was a huge improvement over AC1. I can't even imagine how horribly repetitive that game must've been.

To be fair, many of the missions I'm talking about are side missions (courtesan/thief/mercenary etc), but I imagine most people will want to play those as well, I most certainly do.

Also about AC1, that game had 3 (I think?) mission types that you repeated over and over again in each new city you reached. They had no variety to them and you were basically playing the same game 9 or so times in different cities. They did nail the climactic assassination missions that book-ended each city/sequence though.

jett

D-Member
The platforming controls need overhauling badly indeed. It was fine and innovative three years ago, but today they feel extremely rigid, especially in conjunction with a camera that will not move unless you move it yourself can make for an unpleasant experience, specifically during timed races. I'd say that 50% of the time Ezio jumps where I want him to. It's not game breaking or anything as the guy can withstand really insane falls, but it made me want to destroy the disc during some of the aforementioned races. It's so rigid sometimes it feels like I'm controlling a robot.

Najaf

So I am approaching the captain of one of the towers who was walking through the streets. At the last moment I dash straight at him, he just entered a crowd, and I hit execute. Ezio then double assassinates two civilians next to him and I desynchronize. [face_palm] I always forget to use the lockon feature, but it is still frustrating how easily you can shank civilians.

Ledsen said:
The very end of the aqueduct, where water is gushing downwards into a well, is the only place you can use to get up on an aqueduct.

I'm trying to finish up AC2 before I start the SP, I have 11 hours played and I'm in Venice, can anyone estimate how many hours if I focus on story missions till completion?

Bit-Bit

ZephyrFate said:
The very end of the aqueduct, where water is gushing downwards into a well, is the only place you can use to get up on an aqueduct.
Not true, there's a ladder close by one of the aqueduct where you can repair. You'll know it's the one because theres a viewpoint sync at that aqueduct repair.

Zapages

Just played the Multiplayer for a bit. It is really awesome and fun, but my only thing against is that too many of playable characters look the same so when you are hunting for your one, it sometimes gets the wrong character even when there is 100% sync.

Other than that, the Multiplayer is loads of fun. :)

Charles

I might have a problem. My the three bars under the life squares don't fill up anymore.

Or rather, two of them fill up fine but the third is constantly empty. I've tried sending my recruits out on missions (all of them) but the empty one just stays there under my life bar.

If it makes any difference I'm on PS3 and around sequence 6.

EDIT: Ok it seems to have fixed itself upon reloading.

Ledsen said:
To be fair, many of the missions I'm talking about are side missions (courtesan/thief/mercenary etc), but I imagine most people will want to play those as well, I most certainly do.

Also about AC1, that game had 3 (I think?) mission types that you repeated over and over again in each new city you reached. They had no variety to them and you were basically playing the same game 9 or so times in different cities. They did nail the climactic assassination missions that book-ended each city/sequence though.

DEAR GOD YES THOSE END MISSIONS WERE EFFIN AMAZING. THE BELLS. THE RUNNING. THE "HE'S HIGHERING HIMSELF". Ugh I miss Jerusalem. And <3 Sitting on Bench to listen to somebodies conversation for the umpteenth time.

rataven

Charles said:
I might have a problem. My the three bars under the life squares don't fill up anymore.

Or rather, two of them fill up fine but the third is constantly empty. I've tried sending my recruits out on missions (all of them) but the empty one just stays there under my life bar.

If it makes any difference I'm on PS3 and around sequence 6.
It sounds like one of your recruits may have died or you have too many out on contracts to call them all into a fight. You need two available recruits for every one recruit meter, up to three meters. So wait for them to return from contracts, or go out and draft one or two more Assassins.

Top Bottom